Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's literally going after the Mafia. From the Guardian:

UK to impose sanctions on 370 more Russians

The UK is to impose sanctions on 370 more Russian individuals, including more than 50 oligarchs and their families with a combined net worth of £100bn, in the latest raft of measures against Vladimir Putin’s regime, Peter Walker and Jessica Elgot report.

More than 1,000 individuals and entities have now been targeted with sanctions since the invasion of Ukraine, with fresh measures announced against key Kremlin spokespeople and political allies of Putin, including the defence minister, Sergei Shoigu, considered a member of his elite inner circle of advisers known as his siloviki.

Other key political figures placed under sanction include the prime minister, Mikhail Mishustin, and former president Dmitry Medvedev, as well as Putin’s press secretary, Dmitry Peskov, and foreign affairs spokesperson, Maria Zakharova .

Oligarchs now subject to UK sanctions include Mikhail Fridman, who co-founded Russian conglomerate Alfa-Group with German Khan, also now subject to sanctions as well as close Putin ally Petr Aven, who was previously head of Russia’s largest commercial bank. The FCO said family members would also be subject to sanctions.

The slew of new sanctions on individual oligarchs and elites, as well as businesses, politicians and organisations came after the passage of the economic crime bill on Monday night, which is intended to make it swifter and easier to target oligarchs and Russian interests.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A lot may not see it that way JM. The few I know don't and they live in the West(and this seems to be the general gist "back home" too). Now these are older Russians, 30-50 kind of range, but what they believe as a general and obviously simplistic reading of it is that the breakup of the USSR and the chaos that followed was their low point, with their country being raped by a handful of pirates and that putin put a stop to that(Oh I know, I know) and that since he's been in power the lot of the average Russian has measurably improved and self confidence in Russia and Russians has gone up.

And the fact is it has. The Russia of today in eastern urban areas anyway might be below the standards we're used to, but way ahead of the same urban Russia in the 1990's. Back then there was essentially no middle class, just the poor and the rich pirates, today there is a middle class, with the trappings of same. Their IKEA, Chanel, holidays in the sun, fur coat no knickers type deal. Or it had all that... They also seem to basically ignore putin's murderous actions against dissenters, or buy into the Kremlin spin that they were "enemies of Russia", or think the accusations are a "western plot to destabilise Russia".

The latter is a very strong thread in Russian thinking and one that has been reinforced for generations, centuries even, through the autocracy and with not a little bit of help from their church. It's easy to forget, especially for a small island race like us who tended to look outward more than in(because we had to), Russia, with rare exceptions like Peter the Great(and he got a lot of pushback), from the top down has been an extremely inward looking and isolationist nation for the guts of a thousand years and when conflict came, it was more often than not an attack from beyond. That kind of deep root in any nation's psyche is hard to dig out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It wouldn't need to be. PMs from the EU are free to travel wherever they like.

Off the booze a few years. Drank every nationality I met under the carpet at some point 🤣 I'd be iffy about drinking somewhere like there anyway though, I'm a fuckin mouth. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Of Course, but going there they claimed it was as a delegation from EU.

After next election they will go to jail, they have nothing to lose...

They are introducing unnecessary mess. It would be better to send a train full of humanitarian aid than full of security for few guys, who want to stay in power at all cost...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

You need to read up a little bit more about the European Union.

They don't need authorization from the EU commission.

Just Courious if Poland were to be invaded, will you return to Poland to defend it.

• Advertisement

As I said THEY claimed it was a delegation from EU.

I would return, if Poland would win freedom and be ruled by democratic forces later. For sure I wouldn't to fight to keep Putinesque government in power... because it would be not freedom at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Hard enough to get planting with the scarcity of fuel and fertiliser, let alone having to worry about being be blown up by a Russian jet and dealing with corpses. I listened to a farm programme a few days ago that was on a local station. A Ukrainian pig farmer was on. With the way pigs can't be processed so they are processing the pigs on the farm and using it to feed the Ukrainian army and people(I can't find the link).

You guys are talking about two very different things - "Nationalism" and "nationalism" are not the same. The latter is expressed when there is a desire within a country for independent nationhood for distinct group within a , imperial or otherwise, or when there is a tangible external threat to the continued Independence of a nation. The former is the expression of superiority of an already secure nation state, often with threat that is created to demonise an "other" within the nation or within surrounding nations in an attempt to justify often reprehensible actions. Zelensky is a nationalist. Putin is a Nationalist

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

When did the leaders of European Nations need to have their diaries approved by unelected commissoners (which is an interestingly soviet power structure)

They are already sending aid and taking in millions of refugees. Instead of sitting in a comfortable office, these leaders are taking a risk, showing solidarity with Zelensky and Ukraine, and sending a strong message to Russia.

It's a much easier differentation to make once you realise that there are two seperate words for each definition, the other word you're looking for is "imperialism".

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Maybe they aren't in to buying a way out of a problem, think that standing up to Russia is vital to their survival. Which they would be correct in

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think that some of the instruments have fallback provisions to allow payment in roubles under certain circumstances. If that is the case, there are going to be a lot of PMs nursing sore heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

I lived there for awhile under the communist rule, and by God, the place was grim!!!, if you went into the "foreigners only hard currency Shop" in Moscow, you could actually feel the resentment in the looks of ordinary Muscovites as they passed by on the street. Fast forward a few years, after the fall of communism, and it was hard to recognize the place.....incredible how fast they became "westernized". Gone were the "Foreigner Shops" and GUM stores, where you had 3 or 4 assistants working behind one counter, with mainly empty shelves behind them. But even so, it was a heavily policed state. At one point I travelled to Europe with some Russian colleagues, and they were perplexed by the lack of visible policing...made them feel uncomfortable!!! But normality was quickly restored on arrival back at Sheremetyevo Airport, while walking outside the arrival building, 5 mins after arrival, we were stopped by the Police with the old refrain " Documents". Back to normal ( or as they say there " Normalno".) Whatever they think about the system, they are very carefull who they will share their true feelings with. Throwback to communist times, when even thought's were regulated, and reported on. I still remember the Babushkas stationed on each floor of the hotels, recording who entered and left, and the times...all written down in the book. And also on one occasion ( under the communists) while having a drink in the hotel bar, and just enjoying buzz, when two men entered. The place went quiet as these two, dressed in ordinary garb, went from person to person checking their document's, and in some cases taking notes. It was a while after they left before the air of normality returned. But do you think that anyone made a fuss? Asked them for identification? Asked what they were doing and why? No one made a peep, so ingrained is it in their psyche.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I think its a brilliant idea. Let's send loads of politicians from right across europe and the wider world to act as a de facto humanitarian shield for Kyiv. Especially those politicians who are prone to talk the talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

It is no way to live. What a waste of resources and human capital doing needless stupid tasks like checking senseless meaningless irrelevant documents. No wonder the Ukrainians are fighting to the death in this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

UK are some shower. Fair enough if they don't want to let in whoever, but to be feckin' trying to gain credit for Irish accepting refugees is a bit too much. The Ukrainian girl fairly set her straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

This guy looks like he is a computer generated image…..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Ok so Jo

Hopefully it won't come to standing on the front line.

I wouldn't fancy you having my back if it's down to which political parties you support.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@[Deleted User] - "Nationalism" and "nationalism" are not the same. 

That's a capital way of putting it.

• Advertisement

Great, hopefully they can liquidise all this stuff later to raise funds to rebuild Ukraine.

Spanish authorities have detained a yacht owned by Russian oligarch Alexander Mikheyev, who is under European Union sanctions, according to a police source.

The yacht, called “Lady Anastasia”, cannot leave the marina of Port Adriano in Mallorca, where it is now moored, the source told Reuters.

On Monday, Spanish prime minister Pedro Sánchez said authorities had temporarily seized a Russian oligarch’s £108m yacht in Barcelona.

Sánchez told La Sexta television:

Today we seized – the technical term is provisionally immobilised – a yacht belonging to one of the principal oligarchs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement