Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The legal processes required to have the funds allocated would take years, unless there were specific legislation passed to skip the legalities and award the seized funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

Talking about war crimes means nothing unless someone intervenes. Until then it's just waffle that the political classes like to throw about. The only way to punish war crimes is to devastate the perpetrators. Sick of our cowardly governments sitting on the sidelines watching atrocities in Syria, Yemen and now Ukraine. They've learned nothing from the mess they made of Yugoslavia.

One serviceman from the combined detachment of the 331st Guards Parachute Landing Kostroma Regiment of the Occupiers, which took part in the fighting in the Kyiv direction, survived, and he is in hospital.

Glory to Ukraine!

Sure we can. First give Palestine back to the Brits, then they can hand it over to the Turks, who will hand it over to any number of Arab kingdoms/empires(none who were Palestinians, who can then hand it back to the Greeks(Eastern Roman empire), then maybe a unified roman empire rule, then back to the Hebrews, who can in turn give back to the Phillistines. Palestinians still dont habe a state of their own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

I agree. It's absolutely sickening. But would you be willing to risk nuclear war by using NATO plans to attack the Russians?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So am I. I was advocating real intervention in the first week of this as I believe it's inevitable and that Putin's bluffing. The earlier you intervene, the more lives you save and destruction you prevent. Everyones hoping for some mirracle so they don't have to, like Europe did sitting on it's hands while watching the ethnic cleansings in the Balkans, praying for a mirracle, before finally realising there weren't going to be any

I remember screaming and raging at the TV saying 'do something now'. I've been raging for weeks now for the same reason. Putin won't stop this until he has accomplished what he's set out to do. Everyone who thinks he can't possibly win is kidding themselves; serial appeasers. Putin will probably start using chemical weapons at some point. He seems aimed at absolute mass slaughter of civillians and egendering hopelessness and fear until the Ukraine government can't take any more and surrenders.

Only boots on the ground and planes in the air will stop Putin from winning via surrender, as it's only those that can allow what's necessary to prevent the use of chemical weapons.

Putin is bluffing about the use of nuclear weapons against the west. I suspect Biden knows it and is cynically using it as a justification to keep the US out of it. Europe and perhaps some others like Australia, are more than capable of turning the tide and devestating Russian air, naval and land forces in Ukraine without US involvent other than what they are already providing in terms of weapons, intelligence and asssessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Talking of which one of the largest metallurgical plants in Europe was attacked and destroyed in Mariupol yesterday. Russia again tries to bolster its own economic position

There is ZERO chance Putin well ever be anything other than a pariah on the international stage (with some dishonourable exceptions, i.e NK), and by extension, Russia, while he is still in power.

He was largely on the outskirts of international diplomacy for years, there's no way back for him/Russia while Mad Vlad is in power.

If anything good came out of this is that it was done before China would have ideally liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Yes. I never thought I'd say this, but yes. There needs to be a great reset with regards to Russia. Russia, despite the rhetoric and bluster, are currently at their most vulnerable. They are fighting using cold War tactics using cold ware era equipment. They use push logistic rather than pull, which leaves them very vulnerable when stocks run low. The army has been split into pockets with disastrous communications between each pocket. Nato has all their assets in place for a huge conventional sweep that would, over night, obliterate Russian artillery and and Air assets. Russian fighter bombers and strategic bombers are flying as far as Belarus and firing cruise missiles without ever entering Ukranian airspace. Same with the subs in the Black Sea. All the locations and movements of Russian assets both in the theatre of operations and in Kaliningrad are known due to the daily reconnaissance flights by Rivet Joint, Global Hawk, Swedish Airforce ELINT and satellites. The West couldn't be in a better position from a situational awareness point of view. An opportunity for a conventional sweep through Ukraine, Kaliningrad and Belarus will never present itself again. Of course there is a risk of a Nuclear strike, but Russia will not stop and if NATO continues to sit on its hands, it serves as precedent for other rogue states to do as they please in other parts of the world. Russians are well used to hardships, more than you can imagine. The current sanctions are little more than an irritation. NATO is a far, far superior force at every level. Poland is becoming more and more frustrated and I believe if NATO does not act now, Poland will entice Russia to engage their forces in some way in order to force NATOs hand. I can see this happening as more and more warcrimes against civilians occur. Putin will keep pushing and pushing the boundaries. Take note of movements in and around Kaliningrad also. The amount of equipment, Mig-25's and IL-96's that have gone into Kaliningrad over the last week is incredible. Russia has moved missile and air assets into positions in Europe to ensure that all major cities are within reach. Meanwhile, NATO sits and watches. This will have been a massive mistake, in my humble and nin-professional opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I don’t understand how this keeps happening? Is the Russian communications line so porous and the US/Allied Intelligence so good?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think Europe and the USA will end up paying to rebuild Ukraine. But not as a Russia satellite state as that would be ridiculous

Poland cannot drag NATO into a conflict. If they do something to get an offensive from Russia onto Polish soil (very unlikely) NATO will not necessarily respond, and still be in keeping with article 5.

As you say, Russia is not a threat to NATO countries, not now or likely ever. If they started shelling European NATO cities how long would those artillery batteries last? WHY would Russia do that?

Russia cannot even defeat Ukraine. It's tough to watch Putin attack Ukraine but it is nowhere near worth risking 8 billion lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

there's no way back for him/Russia while Mad Vlad is in power.

you keep saying, I suppose it's because of the sanctions imposed on Russia is your theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

If NATO genuinely thought Putin was bluffing about nukes, this would be over by now, with the Russian military obliterated to dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

An unusual story reported here today,

An Ukrainian granny manages to take out 30+ Russian soldiers.

She was forced to cook for for them.

Her ingredients included rat poison animal sedatives and animal laxatives and house hold cleaning products.

Apatntly Ukrainian soldiers were able to walk into the area an hour after the Russians fed and retook the local area.

Hope it's ture.

Nice story either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

100% I agree, and enough is enough now. There needs to be a special military intervention done on the Russians now too.

But try telling that to Chinese Whospers here who will say your fantasy of WW3 isn't going to happen and ignoring the fact that there are innocent Ukrainian children and people getting slaughtered in the war zone.

Yes, though I wouldn't attack anything in Russia, only their forces in Ukraine. and Moldova - I'd clean that lot out - thoroughly.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sanctions will be an ever present obstacle to Putin's Russia.

I think your stance is that NATO should risk Nuclear war to stop Putin. I'll take you seriously once you can prove you're willing to put your own life on the line by posting a video alongside a burnt out Z tank saying 'This one is for Chinese Whospers to prove I'm not all mouth'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I made the decision years ago to not have anything to do with Nestle's products, or their affiliates. Nasty bunch of cúnts on so many levels. This Russia thing reinforces that and doesn't come as one bit of a shock.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm sure NATO, like most people, thinks that. But you'd want to be pretty sure to take the risk...

Because I think 8 billion lives is too big a risk? Sorry if I'm not a gambling man like yourself.

The EU has allowed the Swiss virtual EU membership, with almost all the benefits and none of the obligations. I'd be pulling those benefits and stop treating them as if they were in the EU until they agree to fall in line. Mind you, i have similar contempt for Irish 'neutrality' the blo​ody ambulances should have been anti-tank munitions, then you wouldn't need the ambulances.

Israel's another doing SFA - a field hospital - whoop de do.

"And yet in recent days Israel has not always lived up to the mark. On the one hand, Israel has made valiant efforts to send 100 tonnes of humanitarian aid to Ukraine, including medical equipment, tents, and blankets. On the other hand, Israel has thus far failed to provide any military support, which has been a source of deep disappointment for Ukrainian politicians, according to Ukrainian Ambassador to Israel Yevgen Korniychuk. On top of this, Israel has taken the position of a “middle man” in the crisis, at times failing to condemn the Russian state for its unjustified assault on Ukrainian territory and sovereignty. " https://www.thejc.com/lets-talk/all/israel-needs-to-do-more-to-help-ukraine-Y9R0Z21Y9njAQtNR0ezKe

Some zionists have been talking of this horrendous conflict as benefiting Israel by driving jews in Ukraine to emigrate to Israel. Scum.

I think the EU should impose a special import levy on goods from countries still happily trading with Russia, which would be China and India, for starters.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Much play is made by the Russians and others about Russia being the most sanctioned SOVERIGN COUNTRY on earth. I assume that sanctions fit the crime. In the current case one Soverign country has attacked/gone to war with another Soverign for NO LOGICAL reason. The attacking country was not threatened in any way, it has no nukes, it was getting on with its own business of running the country, it was not doing anything to destabilise other countries , etc, etc,

on a scale of 1 to 10 , I would give it 9 and a half - 15if I survived and it used nukes

the other countries that have been less sanctioned did undesirable things BUT not as undesirable as what Russia is doing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I know it first hand. In Poland around 30% of people are brain washed by public TV propaganda of the ruling party (PiS).

I think in future, if any country wants to belong to any international body, they have to guarantee a right for their citizens to full objective information on public TV. It should be in any country constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The most dangerous soldier in a war is the army cook.

• Advertisement

I agree, Russia has done a heinous thing. Is it worth nuclear war, (not sure people realise what this means) no.

It's not as if Ukraine is not being backed? Far from it. Would it be great if NATO could just go full on attack, yes... but, there's 8 billion reasons why they simply won't. I don't follow your odds sentence above. I'd be inclined to think Putin IS bluffing, but even if it was a 1 in 1,000 chance, the risk would be too high.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement