Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Barry Sentenced

Options
  • 25-06-2021 10:28am

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40321739.html

This is a key bit of Cork news. It was well known by the youth at the time in the area that this guy was predator, it baffles me that the parents never clicked it or were too afraid to see it.

My question and i hope it happens, if he has transferred assets out of his name, then they should be reclaimed, all his remaining assets and money should be cashed in and given to the victims as compensation.

Plus 5 years is not enough, he should not have freedom again.

Plus, where are all the photos he has from his photography. Surely he cannot have copyright on these after all this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Plus, where are all the photos he has from his photography. Surely he cannot have copyright on these after all this?

I can't see why he would not. After all, Garry Glitter still gets royalties for his songs. That's the one of the reasons why you don't hear them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As someone from bishopstown and was part of the scouts (not togher thankfully) back then I'm all too aware of Dave Barry. It makes my skin crawl thinking about all the time I was around him and on trips away with the scouts.
    I always felt he was a strange character and we heard the rumours of scouts staying over in his house and his bar.

Barry was like scout royalty though in Cork, if he visited your troop, you were lucky, a man with huge knowledge.

I feel sorry for every leader that put up with him and stuck up for him, that organisation is full of hard working generous people who gave up their free time to help young lads develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Dreadful stuff.
    I knew I remember his face from somewhere and only from reading this, I realise he used to do photographs in UCC graduations?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

TheDriver wrote: »
    I realise he used to do photographs in UCC graduations?

Indeed. I didn't realise this until last night when I was talking to the parents and they said the same.

Have a nice framed picture of me with the parents taken by him... christ, it makes me look at the picture in a different light.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Indeed. I didn't realise this until last night when I was talking to the parents and they said the same.

Have a nice framed picture of me with the parents taken by him... christ, it makes me look at the picture in a different light.

didn't he have Barrys Photography down beside the imperial?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

2528975_1_org_PROGRESSIVE.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

This is a key bit of Cork news. It was well known by the youth at the time in the area that this guy was predator, it baffles me that the parents never clicked it or were too afraid to see it.

My question and i hope it happens, if he has transferred assets out of his name, then they should be reclaimed, all his remaining assets and money should be cashed in and given to the victims as compensation.

I was reading Eoin Englishs piece on the examiner, while I like Eoins stuff and was a good article he appeared to go down the road with the angle from Eddie Hobbs that it was news to him and everyone else. Growing up in the 90s and in another scout group nearby the world and their mother knew that DB was a dodgy character to be kept a wide berth from.I remember doing lots of activities with other groups but never Togher thankfully. Wonder why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

I reckon its possible he felt that by running for election he would have garnered too much attention. He probably realised that being in the public eye on a regular basis could trigger anyone of his victims to come forward.

I was reading Eoin Englishs piece on the examiner, while I like Eoins stuff and was a good article he appeared to go down the road with the angle from Eddie Hobbs that it was news to him and everyone else. Growing up in the 90s and in another scout group nearby the world and their mother knew that DB was a dodgy character to be kept a wide berth from.I remember doing lots of activities with other groups but never Togher thankfully. Wonder why.

These guys are clueless, it was well known in togher what he was up to, maybe the parents had their heads in the sand but every kid and teenager knew about him and his showers back at his house. Its embarrassing how much of a pedestal they are putting him on, it was absolutely no shock to anyone I know when he was arrested. I had buddies approached by gards who would have been in the scouts there at some stage. This was well before he was arrested. Were we shocked, absolutely not and were happy he was finally getting investigated.

The next scandal will be the schools around cork who continued to dish out a form of corporal punishment well into the late 90s, meter sticks being used not as meter sticks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

These guys are clueless, it was well known in togher what he was up to, maybe the parents had their heads in the sand but every kid and teenager knew about him and his showers back at his house.

One of the common themes of child abuse is that the victims often do not tell their parents. Children have a different focus to their lives than their parents do and what might seem blindingly obvious for one could be completely unknown to the other.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    One of the common themes of child abuse is that the victims often do not tell their parents. Children have a different focus to their lives than their parents do and what might seem blindingly obvious for one could be completely unknown to the other.

That is true but I know my own Dad was uneasy about me being in the scouts due to the fact it was an open secret what was going on so I find it hard to fathom others did not know and my dad constantly warming me to stay away from this guy no matter what. Luckily I was in a group with leaders that put child welfare first like 99% of scout groups out there and I feel for these people now who put their lives into their communities and the organization for the right reasons. Many will wonder why the didn’t do more when the rumors were out there but the scouting hierarchy protected this guy and others when the were firm complaints leveled at this individual. Acting on rumors and on concrete complaints are two very different things.

Regarding the piece on the examiner, it is a good piece talking about the traits of predators in general but the writer went to secondary school a stones throw from where it happened and moved in same circles as me so don’t think it was any suprise to him either to be blunt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

That particular prick has many friends in high places and without doubt his money is well hidden hope he gets beaten daily inside , well before this went to court his bobs were moved

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

rob316 wrote: »
    As someone from bishopstown and was part of the scouts (not togher thankfully) back then I'm all too aware of Dave Barry. It makes my skin crawl thinking about all the time I was around him and on trips away with the scouts.
    I always felt he was a strange character and we heard the rumours of scouts staying over in his house and his bar.

Barry was like scout royalty though in Cork, if he visited your troop, you were lucky, a man with huge knowledge.

I feel sorry for every leader that put up with him and stuck up for him, that organisation is full of hard working generous people who gave up their free time to help young lads develop.

I’m also a Bishopstown boy and former Scout ( 42 nd cork)
    We also had a deviant from the model farm road years earlier than Barry( caught and sentenced)
    Amazes me that the scouting body never copped onto this bloody weirdo

I’m also a Bishopstown boy and former Scout ( 42 nd cork)
    We also had a deviant from the model farm road years earlier than Barry( caught and sentenced)
    Amazes me that the scouting body never copped onto this bloody weirdo

The average scout and leader were aware of these so called rumors but as he was so well connected he could swat away any complaints. The leaders from other groups did their best to keep their kids away from compromising situations with him, is this correct NO but hindsight is a great thing. Without firm evidence not much others outside of Togher could do as the national organization was riddled from the Chief Scout at one stage down with perpetrators and facilitators. The big question is how the Unit Council in Togher acted when this woman repeatedly brought allegations to them, Pity she didn’t go straight to the police.

I see it difficult how the Togher troop can continue like this without all connections to the Unit council at that time being severed.

I really hope that scouting in Cork can have a root and branch analysis of this horrific period and move on, I look back at the best times of my life as a scout and hope the kids of today can do so to in a safe environment.

"Defence senior counsel Tom Creed said Barry’s plea of guilty was the strongest sign of his remorse.

Mr Creed SC put the offending at the lower end of the scale for sexual offences coming before the courts and said: “These were young adolescents rather than pre-pubescent children.”

Jeez, they really will say anything for their clients "in the interest of justice" of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

"Defence senior counsel Tom Creed said Barry’s plea of guilty was the strongest sign of his remorse.

Mr Creed SC put the offending at the lower end of the scale for sexual offences coming before the courts and said: “These were young adolescents rather than pre-pubescent children.”

Jeez, they really will say anything for their clients "in the interest of justice" of course.

That is his job ffs. Barry (however evil and twisted he is) is entitled to representation in court. The legal guys HAVE to provide the best defence possible. It is up to the judge to dispense justice. It is up to the legal guys to provide a defence and prosecution.
    Do we really want courts where the accused is unrepresented or represented by counsel that doesn't put any effort in? Very unfair criticism of Tom Creed.

That is his job ffs. Barry (however evil and twisted he is) is entitled to representation in court. The legal guys HAVE to provide the best defence possible. It is up to the judge to dispense justice. It is up to the legal guys to provide a defence and prosecution.
    Do we really want courts where the accused is unrepresented or represented by counsel that doesn't put any effort in? Very unfair criticism of Tom Creed.

I agree Tom Creed just doing his job, it’s up to the judge to sift through what is real or not. On one level DB gets due process that his victims did not, but we still must let the process play out wheather we like it or not.

I agree Tom Creed just doing his job, it’s up to the judge to sift through what is real or not. On one level DB gets due process that his victims did not, but we still must let the process play out wheather we like it or not.

Well it is that or get a mob together to hang him from a tree. In general I would favour the due legal process but could be persuaded otherwise in this case :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

7 years with 2 suspended.

7 years isn't enough to begin with but why 2 years suspended?

lawred2 wrote: »

The judge took the early guily plea into account and also considered his age and health. The reasons are listed on the judgement.

• Advertisement

Agree completely we must let due process play out but obviously the sentence was very lenient. 10-15 years would have been appropriate in my view.m

Maybe he got credit for his guilty plea but his manipulation of kids for a long time deserves no credit.

It’s up to the DPP to appeal it but I doubt it given DBs age and connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The judge took the early guily plea into account and also considered his age and health. The reasons are listed on the judgement.

Dave Barry didn't care too much for the age and health of those children.

I don't think the age and health of a predator like Barry shouldn't be a consideration whatsoever but that's only my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The most baffling aspect of this is the length of time it has taken from the first complaint to sentencing.

It’s not far to long, it’s wayyy past that. It was in 1987 that the first complaint was made, 34 years ago the first complaint was made.

A sexual predator was allowed to roam the place for that length of time.

How many unnecessary victims did he create because of that. How many avoidable lives ruined.

The most baffling aspect of this is the length of time it has taken from the first complaint to sentencing.

It’s not far to long, it’s wayyy past that. It was in 1987 that the first complaint was made, 34 years ago the first complaint was made.

A sexual predator was allowed to roam the place for that length of time.

How many unnecessary victims did he create because of that. How many avoidable lives ruined.

Well the problem is that the first complaint in 87 went to the unit council of Togher and DB was told to stop inviting kids or scout activities in his home but this continued as everyone knew. If she had gone to the police May have been different.

I feel strongly that those who received the complaint in Togher and allowed it to continue should be jailed too, the complaint should have been passed by them onto the police.

Complaining to the Togher scouts about abuse was like complaining to the bishop about a dodgy priest. It was a closed shop of complicity and facilitating abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Well the problem is that the first complaint in 87 went to the unit council of Togher and DB was told to stop inviting kids or scout activities in his home but this continued as everyone knew. If she had gone to the police May have been different.

I feel strongly that those who received the complaint in Togher and allowed it to continue should be jailed too, the complaint should have been passed by them onto the police.

Complaining to the Togher scouts about abuse was like complaining to the bishop about a dodgy priest. It was a closed shop of complicity and facilitating abuse.

When was the first complaint to the Gardai?

When was the first complaint to the Gardai?

Not sure actually of that, no longer living in the area so not sure of recent ins and outs of the latter part of the case.

I guess 2018 when Police started investigating when someone came forward or perhaps it was not the first complaint, or the first complainant gave a list of his scouting friends or others who went to Dainty Dave’s bar and it snowballed from there. Can not comment on that part of it as I have no knowledge.

Don’t know if the transcript of court cases are accessible to public as it would be interesting aspect.

Dave Barry didn't care too much for the age and health of those children.

I don't think the age and health of a predator like Barry shouldn't be a consideration whatsoever but that's only my own opinion.

Not arguing with you but they are the reasons the judge gave.

Each charge (afaik) had a max sentence of 7 years. All convictions to be run concurrently so 7 years is the max he will serve.

True - just hate to hear such crimes being diminished

Advertisement