Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bosch Rotak 40 Breakdown

Options
  • 25-06-2021 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi everyone- We've had the above for a number of years now and it's worked perfectly until recently. I love the fact it's so lightweight etc which was the main reason I purchased it. No longer available also, sadly. Also am told the newer (smaller ones) available aren't of the same quality.

A few days ago I mowed over a hard plastic dog's toy (not ours!) hidden in the longer grass. Since then, although it starts up OK and the motor still runs, the blades no longer rotate.

Any ideas on what the problem might be and also is there anything I can try to get it up and running again. I realise it all depends on what's wrong but how easy to fix. I really would prefer to be able to keep this model.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you should be able to find a lawnmower repair centre near you which could fix it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

Yes, that was of course my first thought but I've no idea where to go here. Also around here (UK) they tend to charge a lot for services like this, seriously.Sadly I don't always trust these places, either. The reason I posted was (apart from wanting to get it up an running before it rains here, this evening!) it might just be a matter of 'resetting' it or something simple like that I could do myself.

Also someone suggested it might be more cost-effective to just buy a new one and I just don't have the time to look into it at the moment-like to do a bit of research beforehand!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be an idea to turn it on its side and take a photo, lest someone here be able to spot something obvious.
    however, lawnmower repair is not something you should take on lightly unless you're confident about tackling it.

Thanks again! Yes, will do that but used to looking at blades (cleaning off grass etc) and nothing obvious to me anyway! Neighbour had a look as well. No again, though it might just be something simple I could do, I was unaware of etc etc

Guess I will just ask around for a reliable place I can get it repaired.

do the blades spin freely (aka a little too freely) when the motor's not running (and lest it need to be said, don't try this with it plugged in!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

AFAIK these things have a drive belt, so if the motor runs but the blade doesn't rotate, and if the blade rotates freely when switched off, there's a good chance it's something as simple as a broken belt or maybe even the belt slipped off. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix yourself assuming it can be taken apart easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Could be something as simple as the drive belt is broken. I repaired an electric lawnmower for a relative recently where the motor ran but blade was stationary. A broken ribbed belt was at fault. I ordered a replacement belt on Aliexpress, cheap but took a month to arrive but it was a perfect match and the lawnmower was fixed good as new.

do the blades spin freely (aka a little too freely) when the motor's not running (and lest it need to be said, don't try this with it plugged in!)

No. I did notice blades wouldn't move at all, though I didn't force them, of course!, while checking of anything was stuck round them at first. Really gutted now I've broken it as missed this toy when I first checked for things!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I suppose then the belt could have jammed in between the pulley and the housing causing the blade to jam. Alternatively a bit of the toy might be jammed in there somewhere. Difficult to say really, but opening it up to take a look should be pretty easy.

Alun wrote: »
    I suppose then the belt could have jammed in between the pulley and the housing causing the blade to jam. Alternatively a bit of the toy might be jammed in there somewhere. Difficult to say really, but opening it up to take a look should be pretty easy.

The toy itself was intact-really hard plactic. I will speak to the neighbour who had a better look later and ask what he observed, as I think he did remove housing.
    Ironically it's a fab time for mowing now and with all the rain we've had recent'y was waiting for that perfect time as grass has grown quite a bit. Good workout for me as well!!

Thanks again folks for your suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

It's a pretty simple machine and one that can easily be fixed at home

There's a motor, a spindle (attached to the blade), and a thick rubber drive-belt between the two.

You should be able to take it apart in a couple of minutes and see clearly.

You can get spare parts here

No longer available also, sadly. Also am told the newer (smaller ones) available aren't of the same quality.
    /QUOTE]

Your mower sounds likely fixable but...

Go into a B&Q or somewhere and look at models. Since I started paying attention to them(7 years?) there's been an obvious step-up at a particular price-point where for an extra 30 you get a machine that looks like it was made by a completely different company.

Thanks again everyone! Yesterday, on a neighbour's recommendation, I called one of the local shops which deals exclusively with lawnmovers and when i explained the make and what actually happened, reckoned it would be more cost-effective to buy a new one! Agree, of course he hasn't seen the machine!

I will speak to the neighbour who looked at it and see what he observed!

Where are you based? There's a lawnmower repair place very near me in Dublin 11 run by a very old chap who is very reliable.

Where are you based? There's a lawnmower repair place very near me in Dublin 11 run by a very old chap who is very reliable.

They're the best! Unfortunately am in UK at the moment.

I've ordered that Aldi cordless one anyway (got the last one online) which will be arriving on Monday. However, won't give up on trying to get this one repaired.

Ironically we have great weather at the moment-great for mowing!

Thanks again everyone! Yesterday, on a neighbour's recommendation, I called one of the local shops which deals exclusively with lawnmovers and when i explained the make and what actually happened, reckoned it would be more cost-effective to buy a new one! Agree, of course he hasn't seen the machine!

That's hilarious.

Look, I've had a similar machine apart before and I can't emphasise enough how straightforward it is. The thing goes together like lego. Do this yourself.

Cost?
    It sounds like you might be able to do this without parts. If you need a part then it's either fairly cheap, or it's the motor. Even then the motor will cost about €140 to replace vs €250-300 for a BOSCH AdvancedRotak 650 (the equivalent newer model to what you have).

There can be a definite snobbishness against electric mowers and I'd say the guy in the shop just writes them al off and isn't interested in looking at them.

tDw6u1bj wrote: »

It sounds like you might be able to do this without parts. If you need a part then it's either fairly cheap, or it's the motor. Even then the motor will cost about €140 to replace vs €250-300 for a BOSCH AdvancedRotak 650 (the equivalent newer model to what you have).

There can be a definite snobbishness against electric mowers and I'd say the guy in the shop just writes them al off and isn't interested in looking at them.

Agree. Don't worry I took what he said with a relative pinch of salt as had the same feeling. I will ask around a bit (some of the older residents) more about other repair places. I don't want to write it off this easily. I have a bit of a soft-spot for this little machine!! It's so lightweight and easy to move around-also great with long grass etc

I had no idea it would be this expensive to replace! I think I paid about £90 for it some years ago, though it easily have been on offer at the time.

I will post more details when I speak to neighbour who actually looked at it.

Thanks again everyone!

Bosch AdvancedRotak 650

Yes indeed it would be an equivalent as you said since our 40 has a 1700W motor, something I noticed when checking for exact model before I posted here.

Found one on Amazon (UK) for £210 inc delivery.

Aldi have an 1800W on sale currently but believe it's a heavier edition.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/1800w-electric-lawn-mower/p/804216465772600

Aldi have an 1800W on sale currently but believe it's a heavier edition.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/1800w-electric-lawn-mower/p/804216465772600

It looks like aldi/mcgregor/spear&jackson/probably other all buy from the same white-label manufacturer. And that's fine, cheap electric mowers can be a bit flimsy but they do a surprisingly good job for what you pay and there really isn't that much to go wrong.

• Advertisement

It looks like aldi/mcgregor/spear&jackson/probably other all buy from the same white-label manufacturer. And that's fine, cheap electric mowers can be a bit flimsy but they do a surprisingly good job for what you pay and there really isn't that much to go wrong.

Yes, I've looked at the reviews and all (apart from the odd one who got what sounds like a defective one) are very impressed with it. Cited it was very sturdy.

It's the cordless version of this I've ordered. OOS now but it is lighter. Had to make a decision quickly as flying off the shelves. Will report back on how I find it when it arrives on Monday.

Yes, I've looked at the reviews and all (apart from the odd one who got what sounds like a defective one) are very impressed with it. Cited it was very sturdy.

TBH, I've had a look at similar ones and I wouldn't describe them as "very sturdy". I'd put it in a similar bracket to other cheaper electrics - and that's fine, they're well enough built and I wouldn't expect any problems. I think it's more than worth the price you're paying and it'll make no practical difference, but the better bosch ones are definitely a bit more solid.

TBH, I've had a look at similar ones and I wouldn't describe them as "very sturdy". I'd put it in a similar bracket to other cheaper electrics - and that's fine, they're well enough built and I wouldn't expect any problems. I think it's more than worth the price you're paying and it'll make no practical difference, but the better bosch ones are definitely a bit more solid.

Agree, but given the outlay I'm willing to risk it and see how it pans out. It come with a 3 year warranty and anyway I can always return it if I don't like it. In the meantime I will concentrate on getting my old one up and running.

OK, I've heard back from neighbour who looked at it few days ago. His first thoughts (I believed they opened it up 'cos they asked me for a pliers etc but appears they didn't) given the 'whirring' noise the motor gave off, it's most likely to be a bearing ie the bearing where the blade is bolted on has seized. Or some sort of gear mechanism has broken internally. But the bearing would be his hunch.

Advertisement