Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Jazz Festival 2021

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Remember going to Liberities and Gorbies back on the day during the jazz festival. No jazz played there...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Someone on Twitter put op the poster for "Jazz me Bollix" in the Shelter on Tuckey Street. Whipping Boy, Palace Brothers, Toasted Heretic, etc. etc. It was a fantastic indie/rock weekend.

I assume you mean The Liberty Bar? (The Liberties being in Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yes the Liberty. Concrete stairs to the jacks. Ran by a school teacher, I heard. Buy the flagon and put behind the counter for next day if not finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

It should be called the Cork Music Festival, was there even any jazz in Cork's biggest venue, the Opera House?

He was a School teacher at the beginning of that incarnation of The Liberty but gave up teaching somewhere along the line. And yes, regulars did keep their 2 Litres behind the bar. Stairs was wooden, though.

• Advertisement

I know there was some serious jazz in The Everyman and most years there is actual jazz in The Metropole and The Opera House too but apart from a handful of venues, I agree that it has become just another generic city music festival. It's been that way for years, though. I think I realised this years ago when The Waterboys were the festival headline act!

This year, I've realised that most people seem to think that if it's played on a brass instrument - it's jazz. I reckon that the most played song over the jazz festival was "7 Nation Army". I don't think I need to ever see another brass band with a drum kit playing pop and rock songs !

While I can see the attraction to broaden the appeal of the festival - I think that they have, over the years, destroyed what was once an internationally regognised, highly regarded jazz festival (second biggest in Europe at one time). Now it's just one of hundreds music festivals across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I've been to a few jazz gigs in the Metropole and Everyman over the years, i've also been to gigs in the opera house that had nothing to do with jazz, Beach House in 2012 was a huge booking for the Opera house and a gig in which I was happy to attend but there a plenty of contemporary jazz acts that would appeal to the same audience.

Right now, contemporary acts with flavours of jazz like Floating Points, Flying Lotus, Kamasi Washington, Thundercat, Bad Bad Not Good etc would easily fill the opera house and put the jazz fest back on the map but we're stuck with shi!te like Jenny Greene and King Kong Company playing the biggest venue in Cork. It's simply now a jazz fest with larger fringe acts playing to appeal to the masses. Fair enough, covid had something to play with this years books but it had been that way for years way before covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It would be utterly ridiculous if a Country music festival had a chunk of its lineup that wasn't Country, or likewise if it were a Classical music festival... or a Rock festival etc etc

It is fashionable for the great unwashed to sh1t on jazz as they think all jazz music is like a Fast Show skit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I see that a Cork Organ was sent to Limerick where it sat unused for years but has been restored to use again thankfully. A pity it couldn't have been put to use in Cork.

Advertisement