Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academic question re Glendalough

Options
  • 25-06-2021 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭

I have a vague recollection of coming across a text in which Glendalough was described (in Old/Middle Irish or in Latin, I can't remember which) as a 'university' city. Maybe I am imagining it and that it was just called a 'city of learning' but I'd be very grateful if anyone could remind me of such a designation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I've only ever heard Glendalough referred to as a Monastic city. Maybe seen it in texts refereed to as 'studia generalia' but that's more later medieval times I think.

There were Latins words related to the studies taken at Glendalough such as Trivium, but not overly familiar with any old Irish words for it, just they mention its status as an ecclesiastical settlement.

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement