Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Several dead in German knife attack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,637 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If someone has a sharpened knife/broken bottle and has stabbed or slashed people and is likely to do the same to others then yes, I think they should be incapacitated as soon as possible if they are an immediate danger to others around them.

I'm nearly as radical as those amnt I?

Now imagine that is your brother/cousin/best friend. Should the police shoot first and ask questions later?
    But I would also hope the police used discretion and ascertained, as any normal folk who weren't being needlessly obtuse on an internet forum would do, that there is a huge difference between a pub brawl and a jihaddi knife attack.

However, if someone was at risk of being murdered, the end result should be the same.

The way the German police did you mean?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Fùcking irony overload there :pac:

Police are NOT trained to kill! They are trained to shoot accurately, they are trained to aim for the center mass as this is the largest part of the body and easiest to hit (head too difficult, arms and legs moving and harder to aim for).

One shot to the center mass can kill you, then there are people who have been shot many times and survived.

You know, in all fairness I do not know how Wurzburg beat police are trained. It is possible that their training does include deliberately shooting someone in the leg.

If so, I would believe it to be an exceedingly misguided policy and there’s a reason why your statement above is correct as a general rule for most forces. Further, it is not as if you can’t shoot a leg’s femoral artery and cause death anyway.

You said

Police arrive, one person is covered in blood another has a broken bottle in his hand and is being aggressive, should he not be treated the same?

Now let's change bottle to knife, should he be met with "immediate lethal or (at least) incapacitating force"?

If the gentleman in question is refusing to put down his broken glass/knife or other lethal weapon, is aggressive, not responding to directions and other people might be harmed, then yes, absolutely, the gentleman in question should be met with whatever force is required to incapacitate him all the way to riddling.
    If this results in his death, its unfortunate.

You'd imagine the police would do some sort of situational risk assessment though, with several outcomes possible depending on the circumstances.
    Secure the area, withdraw and observe.
    Non lethal force could be tried.
    Rush him in riot gear
    His nan could be brought in to scold him.
    Shooting is probably the last option, but maybe the only option.

When innocent people are at risk, a nations security services are required to mitigate that risk.

Now imagine that is your brother/cousin/best friend. Should the police shoot first and ask questions later?

The way the German police did you mean?

Shoot first. Obviously.

If my brother/cousin/best friend is stabbing people with reckless abandon, either shoot them or give me the gun so I can do it.

I didn't once make any accusation that the police were incorrect. They acted with more restraint than I would have but from what I've seen, I have no complaints.

Not sure why you added that in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

bubblypop wrote: »
    They are trained to stop people, not kill.
    Jesus what kind of country would train their police to kill people FFS

Pretty much every country.

If it’s appropriate to kill an armed and dangerous criminal to ensure that innocent lives are protected... that’s what has to be done...

Fûck all use wounding somebody and them still having the ability to kill or maim.

Again, arm yourself with a gun or knife, it needs to be presumed you’ll use said weapon to the full scope of its capabilities and kill. You can kill if wounded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭DaTown

So was it confirmed that it was a white supremacist???

It's just I didn't hear anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Do you have any proof that the police acted improperly, your complaint appears to be that they failed to kill him. There's every indication that they used the necessary force and handled things appropriately.

Asks for proof that the police were acting improperly, then claims they acted appropriately with no proof either.:confused:

The guy was running riot stabbing people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

peasant wrote: »
    I'm just going to leave this here:

The suspect ... was receiving psychiatric treatment, according to the Bavarian minister of the interior*

Ye can all wind your collective xenophobic / islamophobic necks back in again ...the guy's gaga first and foremost.s

You can leave what you want here.

Psychiatric treatment = Gaga now?

And yet, you have the gall to tell others to wind their necks in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If the guy is ‘gaga’ that’s simply more reason to stop him as he is less likely to listen to reason... Gaga, or suffering from a psychological disorder doesnt mean he should be left loose and a danger.

Needed to be stopped, was stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Allowing people in with mental issues that will attack the host population is not good politics.
    But they keep doing it and some people keep voting for it. Go figure.

According to Der Tagesspiegel he said to police he was waging Jihad.
    Der Somalier Jibril A. habe bei der Vernehmung durch die Polizei gesagt, er habe seinen „Dschihad“ verwirklicht, sagten Sicherheitskreise am Samstag dem Tagesspiegel. Mit Dschihad ist der heilige Krieg gegen Ungläubige gemeint.
    https://www.tagesspiegel.de/politik/motiv-des-taeters-weiter-ungeklaert-was-wir-ueber-den-messerangriff-in-wuerzburg-wissen/27366310.html

• Advertisement

The three killed were all female.

The 24-year-old suspect, a Somali immigrant, grabbed a knife from the kitchen section of a department store, attacking several inside.
    He then lashed out at people outside.
    Five women and a child were also injured in the attack.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57624115

Police searched a homeless shelter, where he was registered to be living, and found his phone and leaflets with hateful messaging, police said.
    A witness reported that the suspect shouted "Allah Akbar" during the attack, said Mr Herrmann.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JuanBerrosa

biko wrote: »
    The three killed were all female.

The 24-year-old suspect, a Somali immigrant, grabbed a knife from the kitchen section of a department store, attacking several inside.
    He then lashed out at people outside.
    Five women and a child were also injured in the attack.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57624115

Police searched a homeless shelter, where he was registered to be living, and found his phone and leaflets with hateful messaging, police said.
    A witness reported that the suspect shouted "Allah Akbar" during the attack, said Mr Herrmann.

I'm sure the Guardian will find a way to spin this about a crime against women and how sexism in society is what caused this.

A society that is a white male patriarchy .

So you see white male misogyny is whats to blame here !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They hit him in the leg but that was not their intention.

They shot for center mass, to Stop the target and to reduce risk to the public from the bullets.

It wasn't a dereliction of duty that made him aim for the leg, just that that is where the bullet hit.

I'm sure the Guardian will find a way to spin this about a crime against women and how sexism in society is what caused this.

A society that is a white male patriarchy .

So you see white male misogyny is whats to blame here !!!

The comment section will expand on how Zionism played a part.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yet another example, if any were needed, that large scale immigration to the West from barbaric medieval countries where Islam is dominant and Islamism and religious extremism are par for the course is a bad thing and can only ever end in very negative outcomes.

Unfortunately the cognitive dissonance from the"right on" brigade will be, predictably, strong on this one, as they are for all other incidents of this type - and an array of mealy mouthed excuses will be wheeled out. Allowing people like this deranged 24 year old murderer into the West just endangers the lives of those in the host societies and has no good outcome. None.

Islam and secular Western values are utterly and fundamentally incompatible. You don't need a PhD in politics or sociology to work that out.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Yet another example, if any were needed, that large scale immigration to the West from barbaric medieval countries where Islam is dominant and Islamism and religious extremism are par for the course is a bad thing and can only ever end in very negative outcomes.

Unfortunately the cognitive dissonance from the"right on" brigade will be, predictably, strong on this one, as they are for all other incidents of this type - and an array of mealy mouthed excuses will be wheeled out. Allowing people like this deranged 24 year old murderer into the West just endangers the lives of those in the host societies and has no good outcome. None.

Islam and secular Western values are utterly and fundamentally incompatible. You don't need a PhD in politics or sociology to work that out.

And are his mental health issues because he is muslim?

And are his mental health issues because he is muslim?
    He shouted Allah Ackbar during the attack. Did he do that because he has mental issues, or because he's muslim?

He shouted Allah Ackbar during the attack. Did he do that because he has mental issues, or because he's muslim?

I have no idea.
    If I shouted it what would you think?
    If the guy has mental health issues it doesn't matter if he shouted ' Daniel O Connell is the greatest living singer in the world'

If you shouted Allah Ackbar I'd think you were Muslim.
    If you started stabbing people around you while shouting Allah Ackbar I'd still think you were a Muslim.

The only thing they can do to gain my trust is stop killing people while shouting Allah Ackbar. Maybe the mental issue is to not realise that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

1 million were let in to Germany by Merkel back in 2015 which is the same year this guy arrived there and now they are having problems because they had no idea who any of these people were at the time.

I think Merkel knows she made a mistake but its too late now.

And we are not immune to this kind of thing here either, sure didn't the Gardai find a few lads who would like to see us all living back in the 14th century spreading their toxic message in this country recently.

• Advertisement

"Mental health issues" in these events usually means strict Sunni Muslim.

It's a media styling at this stage.

Maybe this shop should follow IKEA's example after a double murder by an Eritrean asylum seeker - ending the sale of kitchen knives in-store.

If the left won't stop murderers, how about trying to stop the sale of murder weapons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I have no idea.
    If the guy has mental health issues it doesn't matter if he shouted ' Daniel O Connell is the greatest living singer in the world'

the mental issue argument is just pointless
    Aren't serial killers mentally unstable too, they still get jailed

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    the mental issue argument is just pointless
    Aren't serial killers mentally unstable too, they still get jailed

No, do you think all serial killers suffer from mental health issues?

If the left won't stop murderers

The left?
    Who or why is the left responsible for stopping murderers?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No, do you think all serial killers suffer from mental health issues?
    By defiintion being a serial killer means they have a mental illness/condition/disorder. Psycopathy, a near given in such people, is a personality disorder.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    By defiintion being a serial killer means they have a mental illness/condition/disorder. Psycopathy, a near given in such people, is a personality disorder.

No.
    By definition a serial killer is a person who commits a series of murders, usually three or more.

I'm sure some are mentally ill, but that's not the definition of serial killers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I have no idea.

If he had shouted " Daniel o Donnell is the greatest living singer in the world " you'd know he definitely had mental problems , but he didn't. He shout Allah Akbar and started randomly killing and maiming people .

I've already said it before on this thread about Ireland having one of highest rate of mental illness in Europe and yet we don't get people going randomly stabbing strangers on the street shouting Allah Akbar . Strange that .

I wonder would you be so quick to defend him if it'd been a family member he'd murdered . He may have had mental issues that does not excuse murder , he also had a criminal record , these killings could have been easily avoided if the police deported him when he committed crimes . I suppose all them hundreds of women who were sexually assaulted on new years eve a few years , were all committed by mentally ill people to .

It's amazing that people like yourself are willing to make excuse after excuse when migrants are involved in crime , just for the sake of multiculturalism . I'm not against immigration btw , but taking millions of young men from north Africa into Europe has been nothing but a disaster even Angela Merkel said it herself . If anything the left have shot themselves in the foot because they've managed to resurrected the right in Europe , well done , bravo !!

I'm not defending anyone.
    Any criminal should be dealt with by the full force of the law.
    He murdered people, of course I'm not defending him.

Police don't deport people either, just fyi

• Advertisement

Why do you think this particular person committed these crimes, bubbly? Why do you think he shouted Allah Ackbar? What could have been done to prevent these murders?

Advertisement