Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Several dead in German knife attack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Ireland has one of the highest mental health issues in Europe , we have cases of mentally ill killing their kids but I've yet to hear of someone randomly going around stabbing and killing as many strangers as they can for the fun of it , maybe it's a new type of mental illness that hasn't reached here yet .

Yeah, there seems to be a difference alright. I suppose it depends in the individuals environment, exposure and vulnerability.

In the context of continental Europe, it appears a percentage of attacks perpetrated by individuals have mental health issues. Many seemed to have been radicalised to an extent before committing attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Well as I’ve said already, there’s 1.8 billion Muslims, nearly a third of the worlds population. Are you saying they’re all terrorists?

I'm saying the question is just academic for Europeans unless the rest of the world is invited to mass migrate to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Are they wrong ? :eek:

There's something very wrong with people who derive such obvious delight from an act of mass murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Sand wrote: »
    I'm saying the question is just academic for Europeans unless the rest of the world is invited to mass migrate to Europe.

I didn’t respond to your post. So this makes absolutely no sense to me.

I didn’t respond to your post. So this makes absolutely no sense to me.

Well, let me break it down. You asked a question: Are you saying they’re all terrorists?

And I interjected to say: I'm saying the question [Your question above] is just academic for Europeans unless the rest of the world is invited to mass migrate to Europe.

So what I meant was your question (are all Muslim's terrorists) is irrelevant unless Europe invites mass migration. Hope it makes sense now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Well as I’ve said already, there’s 1.8 billion Muslims, nearly a third of the worlds population. Are you saying they’re all terrorists?

Jaysus, they are member of that religion though! Aren't they ? No one as far as I can see is calling all muslims terrorists

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Faugheen wrote: »
    You said 'the vast majority' are by Muslims. Prove it.

This is a logic fail, even if it were true that the majority of attacks aren't Islam related ( which I strongly doubt over the last decade ).

Here's a silly hypothetical. If you had a broken arm ( terrorism in general ) would purposely breaking your toe be fine too because the broken arm is the bigger problem?

I don't get it - I guess when a certain political happening occurs that's no longer easy to brush aside the only thing left is to argue moot points and point the finger at other problems.

Well, let me break it down. You asked a question: Are you saying they’re all terrorists?

And I interjected to say: I'm saying the question [Your question above] is just academic for Europeans unless the rest of the world is invited to mass migrate to Europe.

So what I meant was your question (are all Muslim's terrorists) is irrelevant unless Europe invites mass migration. Hope it makes sense now.

So you interject into an existing thread and then condescend me by saying you hope it makes sense now.

Firstly your first post was gibberish in the context and secondly, my question isn’t irrelevant in the thread if you read what others have posted in their mass generalisations.
    My question is extremely apt in response to those generalisations.

Thanks for your input though, really worthwhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Yeah, there seems to be a difference alright. I suppose it depends in the individuals environment, exposure and vulnerability.

In the context of continental Europe, it appears a percentage of attacks perpetrated by individuals have mental health issues. Many seemed to have been radicalised to an extent before committing attacks.

What a relief the murderer had mental issues , I'm sure the families of the dead can sleep easier at night knowing that the killer had mental issues instead of being terrorist attack . If anything all these attacks do is boost support for right wing parties across Europe which had little to no support 15 years ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

peasant wrote: »
    While German police are all armed at least with a sidearm, they're still not supposed to shoot to kill if it can be avoided.
    In fact, there are pretty strict rules around using your weapon as a police officer.

This ain't Murica, no trial by cop.

While I know SFA about German law... if a person is attacking others with a deadly weapon, they should be within their rights to use deadly force to stop him...with deadly force..

Nobody is asking for trial by anything, just protection of citizens enduring a deadly violent attack with a sword wherever by whatever force necessary...

The sword isn’t a movie prop and he isn’t holding it to make a kebab..

• Advertisement

Jaysus, they are member of that religion though! Aren't they ? No one as far as I can see is calling all muslims terrorists

You know that do you? No, you don’t, you’re making a generalisation based on the colour of his skin!!

Idiotic posts saying ‘it’s the religion of peace’ is saying that!

They don’t say ‘oh it’s the religion of peace for the majority bar extremists’.

If you want to take part in the generalisations then you need to tolerate the equal and opposite responses.

So you interject into an existing thread and then condescend me by saying you hope it makes sense now.

Public threads are open to interjections. If you wanted it private you should have taken it to private messaging. You expressed confusion and I kindly clarified.
    Thanks for your input though, really worthwhile!

Glad to be of help.

What a relief the murderer had mental issues , I'm sure the families of the dead can sleep easier at night knowing that the killer had mental issues instead of being terrorist attack . If anything all these attacks do is boost support for right wing parties across Europe which had little to no support 15 years ago .

2021 : where mental health can excuse any and all acts of crappy, violent, despicable behavior. Soon nobody will actually be convicted of assault or murder / manslaughter.... it’s all going down to ‘mental health’...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Strumms wrote: »
    While I know SFA about German law... if a person is attacking others with a deadly weapon, they should be within their rights to use deadly force to stop him...with deadly force..

They are.

Having said that, the amount of paperwork, internal and external inquiries and investigations is much reduced if they manage just to stop them...like they did, with a single shot in the leg.

Public threads are open to interjections. If you wanted it private you should have taken it to private messaging. You expressed confusion and I kindly clarified.

Glad to be of help.

Yes they are. You’ve added a lot to the debate.

They are.

Having said that, the amount of paperwork, internal and external inquiries and investigations is much reduced if they manage just to stop them...like they did, with a single shot in the leg.

If a police officer encounters a toerag trying to attack maim or kill people with a sword ...they shouldn’t be thinking about paperwork... they should be thinking about the most effective way to protect innocent lives...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I hear ya.

This is still designated as a terrorist attack though, the reason for specifically mentioning "mental health" is generally to separate it from an organised attack, planned, directed or supported by a terrorist organisation.

It is designed to reassure people that this attack was not by an active terrorist cell, conducting coordinated attacks at that time.

While mental health has been announced as the contributory "reason", it is yet to be announced the motivation for the attack, two separate things.

We will see what comes out.

If a police officer encounters a toerag trying to attack maim or kill people with a sword ...they shouldn’t be thinking about paperwork... they should be thinking about the most effective way to protect innocent lives...

Police arrived, one shot was fired, suspect arrested ...I'd call that pretty effective.

Slightly less spectacular than several officers with all guns blazing until the ammo runs out (like Murica) ...pretty effective nonetheless.

(and I believe it takes more training to stop an attacker with one shot than with a full magazine)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭storker

Throwing chairs at him gently , and at his feet. You have to go FULL RETARD
    on a Full Psycho.
    Me I'd be throwing that chair full force with all my strength at his ****ig face.

That's what you imagine you'd do, or like to think you'd do. What you'd actually do is likely to be a different matter altogether if actually faced with a knife-wielding homicidal nutter who is very likely to kill you if you aren't fast or strong enough or just, misjudge or mistime a move.

Than again, you could actually be Chuck Norris, in which case please disregard the above.

Police arrived, one shot was fired, suspect arrested ...I'd call that pretty effective.

Slightly less spectacular than several officers with all guns blazing until the ammo runs out (like Murica) ...pretty effective nonetheless.

(and I believe it takes more training to stop an attacker with one shot than with a full magazine)

I’d call it pretty lucky...

The guy had opportunity to kill and seriously injure.. a positive result wasn’t brought about by design and police actions, more luck.

• Advertisement

If only those pesky Muslims followed a nice peaceful religion like Christianity, then they’d have never killed anyone with their silly religious crusades!!

https://www.historyextra.com/period/medieval/crusades-causes-history-when-how-many-were-there-death-toll/

The last crusade was some time around the 13th Century, unless I'm mistaken. I suggest you use a more up-to-date news source.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

storker wrote: »
    The last crusade was some time around the 13th Century, unless I'm mistaken. I suggest you use a more up-to-date news source.

Don't. You'll be yellow carded for talking sence.

Yes welcome to an hour ago! Seemingly if something happened long enough ago it doesn’t count anymore in proving the point that ALL countries can be violent in the name of religion, not just Muslims!!

I also pointed out the Nazis killed 6 million Jews only 80 years ago, shall we generalise that all Germans are genocidal maniacs as well?

Not sure what point you’re trying to make other than trying to be clever by dismissing my point based on a date without adding anything of value! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

Doesn't need soldiers on horses to be a crusade

. a positive result wasn’t brought about by design and police actions, more luck.

Nope.

The positive result was brought about by strict training, law and order.

The way it's supposed to be.

This isn't the colosseum, you don't get to vote with your thumb anymore.
    The police is there to enforce the law, not to please the plebs with a good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I haven't read about this, but I'd bet my house on it that the perpetrator isn't German. You know what I'm saying.

Don't. You'll be yellow carded for talking sence.

Says the religion of peace generalist! So all Christians aren’t terrorists for killing 9 million Muslims but all Muslims are the ‘religion of peace’.

Hmmm what’s different between Christians and Muslims in your world eh?

Yes welcome to an hour ago! Seemingly if something happened long enough ago it doesn’t count anymore in proving the point that ALL countries can be violent in the name of religion, not just Muslims!!

I also pointed out the Nazis killed 6 million Jews only 80 years ago, shall we generalise that all Germans are genocidal maniacs as well?

Not sure what point you’re trying to make other than trying to be clever by dismissing my point based on a date without adding anything of value! Well done!

Far from being a point, it's a laughable attempt at deflection. You're the one dragging up no-longer-current, historical events.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I haven't read about this, but I'd bet my house on it that the perpetrator isn't German. You know what I'm saying.

Well seeing as there’s apparently 1.9 million German citizens who identify as Muslim, what exactly are you saying?

• Advertisement

Far from being a point, it's a laughable attempt at deflection. You're the one dragging up no-longer-current, historical events.

Whereas your non post is a laughable attempt at what exactly? You’re just saying I’m wrong while making absolutely no points yourself!

So you’re saying that killing 9 million Muslims isn’t an example of another religion being violent because it was a while ago?! Right, yeah that makes loads of sense! Cop on will ya!

Advertisement