Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double check my build please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What CPU are you going with?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr X15

I've been looking at that for 15 minutes trying to figure out what I was missing and why it was cheaper than yesterday Doh. Thanks updated list, 5600x by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wouldn't bother with Thermal Grizzly paste if you don't have a better cooler to go with it.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with Thermal Grizzly paste if you don't have a better cooler to go with it.

Is the stock cooler good enough or should I get something else ?

Thanks for the reply.

Mr X15 wrote: »
    Is the stock cooler good enough or should I get something else ?

Thanks for the reply.

Are you planning on overclocking the 5600x? If you're not the stock cooler might be grand, but your motherboard will likely be overkill too.

If you're overclocking at all, even just using pbo you'd be best off getting a better cooler as I found the wraith stealth to be brutal personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think probably going very overkill on the motherboard if it's a pretty basic build in terms of features you want/need.

By getting a more basic board you could afford to get a 5800X, save some money, or get a bigger and faster drive, etc. The last board I bought was an A520M TUF for a 5600X and it was £80.

If you are gaming beyond 1080P and/or high refresh, could also use the difference to get a better card.

Stock cooler is perfectly fine for normal builds. Not ideal for people who are big into monitoring their temps, tweaking and overclocking, want a silent PC, or whatever.

Overclocking AMD these days is more of an enthusiast interest. With something like the 5600X there's very little to be gained from it. Still though, a better cooler would be quieter at the very least.

Also, while it's hard to criticise an investment in a PSU, for that build a 750W plat is fairly overkill. A 600w-ish Gold would cost a ton less and still be perfect.

Even at hypothetical sustained 100% load (which is completely not likely in most scenarios) the PC would still only pull about 300w.

Few savings could be the difference between a better card or even just getting a 2TB SSD or whatever, or else just save a bit of cash.

Are you planning on overclocking the 5600x? If you're not the stock cooler might be grand, but your motherboard will likely be overkill too.

If you're overclocking at all, even just using pbo you'd be best off getting a better cooler as I found the wraith stealth to be brutal personally

Yes going to try overclock a little bit more so curiosity than performance though
    :) added a cpu cooler other than that anything else I should change ?

Mr X15 wrote: »
    Yes going to try overclock a little bit more so curiosity than performance though
    :) added a cpu cooler other than that anything else I should change ?

Other than what you have there, extra fans maybe. Case looks like it comes with three fans in the front as intakes but no exhaust, so if you want to keep the three at the front (for the looks and flashy lights), you'll probably at least want one on the rear as an exhaust.

As Homelander says, mobo is probably complete overkill for that CPU, you could look at a cheaper option that still had good VRMs and spend the savings elsewhere like on a large SSD vs the Barracuda drive if you're gonna use it for game storage. Personally wouldn't be buying HDDs in 2021 when SSDs have come down in price so much

Edit: also if you're gonna go with an aftermarket cooler I'd spend the extra 30 quid or so over the 212 Evo on something like the Scythe Fuma 2 or Be Quiet Dark rock 4.

Advertisement