Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband providers around clonsilla ?

Options
  • 25-06-2021 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭

Looking to haggle with Virgin media (500mb) but need another company.
    Anyone on better than 100mb plan with others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Eir etc have 1000Mb (FTTH) available in some parts of Clonsilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

I changed from Virgin to Vodafone recently. I'm now paying €30 pm for the year (€25 pm for 1st 4 months with one big switch then €30pm). It's on a fibre optic cable, the same as Virgin. and my plan with both was 500mbps.

I'm having murder with Virgin at the moment.

First of all, Virgin point blank refused to renegotiate a reduction on the 90 odd euros a month they are charging. They wanted me to sign up for another 12 months with them @ €85 pm., despite me telling them that I was seriously considering switching to Vodafone @€30pm

They then tried and put the fear of God into me, telling me that all the other suppliers are useless, and that if I went to them, that I'd be sharing a line with numerous other companies, and that I'dl have endless breakdowns, and that the other companies would take forever to fix it. (They succeesed in making me a little hesitant so I wrote a post on Boards Bargain Alerts asking whether the Vodafone deal was any good, and the unanimous response was positive (https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058198859/vodafone-30-pm-broadband-offer/p1)

Virgin also go out of their way to make it as difficult as possible for you to cancel your contract with them and they threaten you all sorts of consequences. Then they tell you that the only way you can cancel your contract is to phone their cancellations department. They won't take verbal instructions, emails or written requests. You HAVE to do it by phoning their cancellation department.

When you try and phone the cancellation department extension you get a a recorded announcement informing you that there's a minimum of a 30 minute delay, yet they're only open during normal office hours. When you say to the contact person either on the phone or through their online messaging, the mantra is the same each time. YOU CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CANCEL YOUR CONTRACT WITH US WITHOUT PHONING OUR CANCELLATIONS DEPARTMENT (which as I said appears to be unmanned). IF YOU DON'T CANCEL BY PHONING THROUGH TO OUR CANCELATION DEPARTMENT, THEM YOU WILL BE LIABLE FOR AN ADDITIONAL €90 PER MONTH UNTIL YOU DO CANCEL THAT WAY (and we actually answer the phone). I got this over and over and over again.

Then, I was told blatant lies by Virgin when I did get through to cancel. Their cancellation person, after failing to talk me out of cancelling, got nasty and insisted that I had agreed to a verbal contract and that I was obliged under this contract (that I hadn't seen) to pay them fees totaling €480 or some other outlandish figure if I wanted to cancel.

I stood my ground and said that never had not agreed to this. I asked to speak to a supervisor. This was refused. The person said that they would send it to their supervisor and that I would hear from them in 10 working days. I yesterday received an email that I can leave them next month.

In addition to the above, under the terms of GDPR, I requested everything and every single communication that they had on me. Within minutes of making the request, I received a phone call from someone in GDPR Section telling me that they would send me out a disk with a recording of all the calls I had made. I told them that i didn't want it on a disk or in any electronic format. I wanted a compete transcript of all telephone and electronic communications and everything else they had on me. This was again refused.

After finishing that unsatisfactory call, I rang the Date Protection Commissioner, where I was informed that if I requested information under the GDPR, then I was entitled to have my my information, communicated to me, in any way that I requested. I sent Virgin back an email telling them of the Data Protection Commisioners instructions. I haven't got the transcript of my communications with them yet, but they have a month to send this out.

I also contacted the TD's in the area. Jack Chambers (FF) rang me himself and we had a conversation on the matter. He was actually very approachable, and asked to be kept appraised of the situation. I also had a phone call from Roderick O'Gorman's office, they said that they were looking into it for me. Leo just sent out a letter, kicking to touch, saying that he was referring the matter on to The Minister for Communications. And I also got a letter from Paul Donnolly SF saying that he was referring the matter to their party spokesman and that he would follow it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Might it be worth your while to lodge a complaint with Comreg, The Commission for Communications Regulation

https://www.comreg.ie/queries-complaints/broadband-phone/contact-our-consumer-care-team/

https://www.comreg.ie/queries-complaints/broadband-phone/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Jesus fair play to you.

In the end they did knock down my monthly to 56 for 9 months for the 500mb.

I think I rang Vodafone and they said that the 500mb wasn't available at my address.

Advertisement