Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

be a surprise if we see him play again, hasn't been on the bench in a while, does anyone know if hes even training with the rest of the team at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I believe he is training with senior panel and is fit.

I'd imagine Henry and Galway will be happy to not see him on match day squad.

I think his wife teaches in Dublin and he is doing an MBS in Trinity. If I was new Dublin manager I'd be on blower to him come August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Richie is still involved with the set up and is sharp by all accounts. I think we would all like to see him coming in Saturday but it's probably unlikely. I still think he could do more than some lads on the panel but he has seen very little game time since the sending off in 2019.

I'm told huw is back in training so he'll be a big help to the backs. We definitely need him for whelan. He has really improved and is doing a good job at full back. I hope he starts blanchfield wing back. We were cleaned out at midfield and the half forward the last time these teams met. We just can't get midfield right and we'll probably see a new pairing again Saturday night. I think he could go with the tried and tested and we could see fogarty in around the middle.The team thats picked will probably be different to the one Saturday evening. Whatever happens our delivery will just have to be better and cooney and monaghan will need to be marked. I'm expecting a much better performance and hopefully we can sneak a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marrooned

A lot of talk about the U20 set up and the other teams not being able to field full strength teams . This must ultimately come down to the senior managers who picked these young lads. Did John Kiely need to pick cathal o Neill ,did Egan need to pick Oisin Pepper,did Shefflin need to pick Lee and finally Cork U20 set up allegedly released both Joyce and O Leary in the early part of the year probably because they thought they would win it without them. So I think it’s very rich to sleight our badly needed victory at this level. As I stated earlier let the outsiders do that we should be rejoicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

The fact that anyone is trying to take some of the shine off winning a cup the county hasn’t won in 14 years will give you a good indication of the mindset of some contributors.

• Advertisement

the u20s winning doesn't fit with the narrative of everything being done wrong in the county. there's plenty that would be happy to see the seniors beaten and out early if it meant a change of management

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Yes I am one of them. And I make no apologies for it. My reasoning is as long as we keep dogging out a result or two the yes men and Cody supporters are happy saying sure the hurlers are not there and didn't we do well to get as far as we did. I disagree totally I think we have the hurlers but we have to and I mean have to play a more modern game and we are not going to do that under current management. I mean we are still playing old school hurling, go out and play your own game and win your own ball in the forwards, for feck sake can anyone on here disagree that it's stone age stuff and not going to work? I take great pride in the u20 all Ireland thought we thoroughly deserved it and we played smart hurling too. I just want to see a change at the top and bring in someone with a modern approach. If we win tomorrow Cody gets a free pass again and that's going to continue until he is too old to manage. How many more years of that do you honestly want?

you may get your wish, way too many off form at the moment. Dont really know what changes are left to be tried to fix the midfield and half forward line problems, pretty much guaranteed the ball will be lumped up the field for most of it. Theres certainly scope to improve the ball up to suit the players we have, especially against teams playing sweepers, but dont think the quality is there to really get much further in the championship. Devoid of optimism after the wexford game, Galway aren't going that much better though so never know

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I totally understand where you are coming from. I think its time for BC to step aside after this season no matter how KK finish the season. I feel KK hurling set up is stale and this is seen on the field. I have no idea who should take over but it needs a freshing up from the current set up.

Would anyone want to take it, change the style, probably take a good few beatings in the process while working on it whilst presumably keeping the seat warm for two years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

That's a good point and it will have to be tackled from the get go by whoever takes it on. I do believe though that our current players while not a vintage crop are well seasoned and are well able to hurl so it won't be as difficult as Colm Bonner has it in tipp with nearly all the veterans retiring and having to blood over half a team of newbies. I have faith in the players we have I am just longing at this stage to see a new approach.

I do think there would be plenty who want it. I think we need to hurl smarter and develope a style that suits the players we have. I dont know the club scene in KK at all as i havnt lived there in years. Trying to play the running game at county level is pointless in my opinion if we are not doing at club level.

I rem i was in the pub as a young guy in the summer 1990 as i had just finished my LC and talking hurling and people were not hopeful for KK as it was 7 years since we had won an all ireland. I was in the company of an all time KK hurling great and he turned and said the following " the hurlers are always in KK and they are there now". That KK greats words have always stayed in my head and i think they are as true today as they were then. He proved it 2 years later by managing KK to win the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I agree Cody has to go,but it certainly won’t be a smooth transition It’s a pity he wouldn’t heed his own words when he said there was no one bigger than Kilkenny hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Maybe he will call it a day this year. Imagine.....we will be winning All Irelands regularly again, both Senior and Under Age playing the short passing, sweeping, running game beloved by so many here. God I can`t wait.

I think its time for a change. I think the whole set up is stale and even if we were to win the AI this year under Cody i would still think its time for him to go. I dont see a KK team trying to play like that but i do think we have to hurl smarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Huge match tomor for kk. I think a loss here and cody comes under huge pressure cause I can't see them beating cork. I know alot of people see a win tomor covering over the cracks because a clare/wexford semi final is a winnable game and suddenly in a final then. I honestly don't remember so much negativity before a leinster final but I feel supporters have enough of cody. Mossy and mikey butler picked up knocks but should be OK. Richie and fogarty both have hurling behind them and if they're going to used this year you'd imagine they should see gametime this weekend.Huw is also back. The team named tonight will probably be different to the one that take the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

No team yet?

*Just as I say it

That team can’t possibly start, half forward line be cleaned out. Be good if leahy was fit to start, padraig Walsh has to start. Still persisting with Mullen at midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Murphy

Butler lawlor Walsh

Carey Reid Deegan

Fogarty Mullen

Billy Ryan Reid Leahy

Kenny Keoghan Cody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭The_Tank

I think that will be the team. Cody at center forward with TJ going in, plenty of work and running compared to the static approach against wexford. Also better to move it through the lines. Then Wally and Padraig in the finisher role once the lads are spent.

running and moving through the lines? Think you’re on the wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭The_Tank

I’m an eternal optimist 😂

But on a serious note it is a more mobile pick. Our lack of mobility so far has seriously hindered us.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Not sure how anyone who watched the Wexford game could start the same half back line again. Continuing to ignore Blanchfield at this stage is bordering on criminal.

imagine the disappointment here if you’re right and win playing like that :)

looks like a team that’s better set up to run and move it alright, you’re too optimistic though

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Conor Fogarty was prob 6th or 7th choice midfeielder 2 months ago and now here he is starting there in a Leinster Final. That speaks volumes.

Blanchfield probably our best back in League and P Walsh our best forward, neither can now get a start.

Deegan picked solely for his heart and determination at this stage. To pick both him and Reid after their displays versus Wexford is chronic stubborness.

Look at Cody's career, it is never ever the backs fault. Reid and Deegan have a meltdown in half backs, you drop three forwards. The message is clear, they did nothing wrong, it was the forwards fault for not winning the skied ball despite being double and triple marked.

This looks like a classic Cody set up to try to dog out a win and it might even achieve that, but for me that strategy is likely doomed, as it will never beat the best teams in knock out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

What the **** is wrong with dogging out a win? Jesus some posters on here are way too far up their own holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭kk.man

What's the story with Padraig.... One of our best forwards confined to the bench again.

Match day could be a different set up seems to be a new tactic. Time will tell.

Billy Ryan and Leahy are 'small' half forwards in the Cody mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

looks like Cody is doubling down on his poor decisions last time. Some would call it pig headed and it might be hard to argue with that view.

• Advertisement

Can’t see it starting like that or at least not in those positions , surely he has to start. Looking at the bench there’s not really anyone else you can really say has played well and should be on though

Advertisement