Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Nothing wrong with dogging out a win it's a great testament to Cody teams in fairness, but with the modern game you won't dog out three wins in a row which is what we would need to win an all Ireland. You need tactics and a game plan and Kilkenny don't have them under Cody. Can you not see that? We could very well dog out a win tomorrow, playing the same old win your own ball belted in to the forwards with snow on it, but I guarantee you we will not win two more games against top opposition playing like that. It's old school hurling, the game has moved on and we need new ideas and new direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

As other posters have correctly pointed out, dogging out results wont work 3 or 4 matches in a row, you will almost certainly run out of road

Dogging out wins is what you do to avoid relegation or win a one off play off match. It's what Sam Allerdyce or Neil Warnock does, crude "get stuck in to them" tactics that has little chance of winning championships.

I believe Galway are not up to much and I believe Cody knows that.

I'd far prefer to lose a high quality match narrowly tomorrow than win a dour match versus an average Galway team.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

As others have pointed out tomorrow is a massive game for us, win and you never know could easily end up in a final again but a loss would be a terrible result to play Galway twice and Wexford once and not win would be a bad bad sign. Would be surprised if the team named starts. The team selection this year has been woeful. Wally flying then one bad half whipped off at HT then named as a sub but starts but padraig a sub. One day Buckley a starter the next can’t get 5 minutes. Leahy and forgerty named to start, both on bench lately both haven’t seen a minute this year, both “named” to start leinster final. Billy Ryan and donnolly one day in one day out. Tom phelan the same how is he even been considered at this stage he’s a million miles away from inter county hurler. Deegan works hard but a disaster most days. Alan murphy good one day then shocking the next continuing on the inconsistency from players like him the last few years. Over the last 3/4 years we’ve changed up more game to game way more than anybody else in comparison. Why not let Adrian drift wherever he wants instead of the likes of Buckley. Crazy team selection and has been for years like pat lyng starting against limerick in a bloody quarter final.

if we’re to win tomorrow which I hope we do, we need TJ inside and to hit his frees where he’s been poor this year and to work the ball up better while maintaining our doggedness if that’s possible. Galway don’t score much goals but lots of points so who knows how the game will go but we’ll need our best performance of the year to beat them. Can see us either beating them by a few points in a thriller or losing terribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I was never so angry after a Kilkenny match as I was two weeks ago in the Park. The anger in the air on the town end terrace were I was, was palpable and the disgust from the crowd as we walked down John St was equally as bad. All but the most diehard Cody aficionados (I was one myself, I have the T-shirt) are still blaming the lack of players. There's still a sizeable amount of support for Cody staying in the job for as long as he wants but their becoming less vocal. There's little to be said about the game itself it was so dire and putrid to watch. Watching smart hurlers playing caveman hurling was so infuriating. I know they know how to play better but I genuinely believe they were instructed at half time to lump it long.

Anyway my spirits were raised no end with the U20's display on Sunday it was magnificent. I'm delighted for the players first and foremost to finally get a taste of victory in a stripey shirt. I've had a go at our underage setups and I still think there's huge work to be done. I have always had great time for Derek Lyng and stood up for him on here. I think what Derek and his team have shown is if you actually give a good manager the resources (gym, good S&C coach and hurling coach) we can allow our great young hurlers compete against the top teams. If Derek and his team stays with these U20's I think they will only improve. I talked to Derek after his first year loss and he knew where the problems were but was struggling with the county board to get resources to deal with it. I think it's great credit to him, Peter Barry and Michael Rice for sticking with it last year knowing the situation wasn't any better. They finally got access to a gym this year and the difference it has made is sizeable. As someone else has pointed out on here Derek also had the foresight to set up an U19 squad to train and get the gym work in which we will see the benefits of next year when these lads are added to this year's team. Having the likes of Kieran Muldowney involved in out underage setups will only help and there are good people trying to change things but the pace is slow currently. If we had different leadership in the boardroom we could make those changes much quicker like a Duignan led Offaly have.

A few have mentioned what other counties were missing but we had some of our own very talented U20's players not able to take the field for different reasons. I agree it's a stupid rule but we shouldn't look at this great achievement in any diminished way because of what went on in other counties. We can only beat what's in front of us.

I actually have a feeling that Cody has been going to town on the lads for the last two weeks and we'll see a reaction today it will probably be enough to win. I'll be cheering them on all the way but I won't travel to watch Kilkenny again under BC. I'm not spending my hard earned money on traveling and tickets to watch a Kilkenny team play such frustrating hurling.

I'm not looking for sweepers and an all running game but we have to look at how teams now use the ball to their advantage and not give the opposing backs an easy day plucking high ball out of the sky. When we get the ball as far as the midfield and deliver the ball to the forwards our scoring rate goes way up. The reverse is also true when we deliver the ball from inside our own 45 we barely register a score. I know for a fact that the new video analysis guy we got in this year highlighted this in his interview for the job and I'm sure since. Yet management has not insisted/coached our players to learn from this and take advantage of this fact. Ballyhale and our U20's have shown that you can win by taking elements of the running and sweeper systems and adapting them to a more traditional game can win All Ireland's. I personally hate the sweeper system and the running game but until the rules are enforced and that style becomes unviable when you can't throw the ball anymore we have to adapt to win.

The team selection is very strange and I can't see it starting as named. If Delaney doesn't play I'll be disappointed as he was good the last day although I'm glad to see Lawlor back. Pádraig must have done something terrible to Cody if he doesn't start this game it makes no sense to leave him on the bench. We'll see at 7 this evening but even the fact we're naming dummy teams every day now is very strange to me. This was a tactic usually reserved for Davy. Galway should win this but they're not world beaters so if we can turn it into a dog fight we have a decent chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭me89

I really don't understand Padraig Walsh not starting, if he doesn't want to play him in the forwards he's still one of our best defenders, move him to 7 and Deegan to midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Very insightful post. I think to many people(county board) including BC are living off the glory years and probably need to move on and let new blood run the ship as progress is too slow.

On hurling style i agree with you. We dont need the sweepers running game etc. I think if we hurl to our strenghts but smarter we have the hurlers to compete at the top table. But that will take BC to admit what he s doing is not working and i cant see that.

For the U20s you can only beat whats in front of you and i was impressed by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Padraig Walsh not being named to start is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

If they’re to start like that I would prefer leahy and Mullen to swap positions. Expecting padraig to start instead of leahy, never know with the selections lately

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

That is a depressingly stubborn and inconsistent team selection.

It would serve Kilkenny better in the long run to take a hiding from Galway today and another one from Cork in a QF. That might force the hand of the CB or even force Cody to step aside. Grinding out another provincial title may unfortunately just prolong this dictators reign.

Cody. You are no longer wanted. The game has passed you by. Your team are not coached well. It's not a happy camp. We are depressingly predictable and have made the same mistakes for years now.

After the showing in the Wexford game, you shouldn't be even still in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭davidx40

Someone said to me during the week that the team is picked by pulling names out of a hat , that there's so much mediocrity between the players it doesn't really matter ..... He's not far of the mark either ......though it's not that Galway are any better really ......you'd have to wonder would a defeat today and against Cork be better for us in the long run rather than making semifinal and covering over the cracks ......resulting in a status quo again next year .,...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

This is not the Premier League. Gaa players, play for their county and not to impress their manager.

When you wear the county jersey you give your all.

Cody's day will come in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Great post I won't be travelling to watch Kilkenny again under Cody either, yet I'm still torn, I want the lads to do well for themselves this evening yet I know that a win will only prolong Codys reign. A hiding and short term pain would be better but it's hard feeling like that after all the great years Kilkenny teams have given me. I know plenty of other supporters feel the same. The joys of being a Kilkenny man currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Travelling today with neither hope nor expectation. The only thing I can predict is that I will probably check this forum about 20 times on the way up to see if there is any changes to the team!

Not sure I could stop going, support them regardless. heading in now to watch Antrim Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

100%.

Most on here know its been long past time we got a new coach/manager in to look after our seniors but we live in hope that we can get the win today playing well. It maybe the case that we will be back to negative assessments after today or a semi final or final but we live in hope.

Unless padraig walsh is injured I don't know what the hell is going on. Ditto leahy. Hasn't featured at all and yet gets the nod. Maybe he's burning it out in training. Wouldn't mind seeing deegan moved to midfield and blanchfield taking up number 7.

We could see 3 changes to the team and could also see none. Bit of a peculiar one really.

Let's just hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I don't take joy in the fact I won't go to another game outside Kilkenny under BC. There's other factors too like I work most Saturdays and all our games have been on Saturdays. Since when did Championship hurling become a Saturday game? I could be wrong but I think the only match we can play on a Sunday would be the AI final if we get to it, for me this is crazy. The time is another thing, it works great for TV but who wants to be getting back home to Kilkenny at 11 or half 11, very little chance for a pint and banter about the game when you get back.

I've followed Kilkenny through thick and thin and gone to games most wouldn't bother there a**e travelling too over the years but I just can't do it. I will watch it and I support the team to the fullest. I just hate to see players hurling careers been thrown away playing crap hurling when they could be so much better. There's very little joy currently in being a Kilkenny supporter, I don't mind the team getting bet (I never enjoy it) but I want them to at least perform. It's all well going down swinging but if your not even facing the right direction there's not much hope of landing a knock out blow.

First year I missed a championship match in years, Saturdays are a pain alright.

sundays seem to be reserved for the one sided Munster games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

What is the story with TJ? Has age caught up with him? Is he carrying an injury? Is he training fully?

Groin and age I think, had lost a good bit of speed last year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Being in America these days and with the time difference the Saturday evening matches are great for me, and as an occasional thing they can be great anyway, if you're staying locally to where the match is on, but it is a bit hard on people to ask them to travel to croke park and get home so late on a Saturday night. Crazy how much they've shunted the leinster games to the Saturday slots, wouldn't mind only the Munster championship has been a damp squib except for Clare livening it up.

Anyways I'd still travel to see kk matches if I was home but I can understand the various reasons people might not.

Tonight I'm optimistic of a backlash from us, even though the team selection is crazy on paper. I'm assuming we have p Walsh starting ahead of Kenny with Ryan in the corner. Could easily see a rake of other changes, dummy team is such nonsense though.

Nothing only optimism to go on, on known form Galway should be narrow victors. I just think we always have a big match in us each year and today might be out after the embarrassment last day. Would just like to see us play smart hurling AND NOT ABANDON IT AT THE FIRST SIGN OF TROUBLE. Cody clearly doesn't believe in anything but route one and forces it first chance he gets. 70 minutes of varied ball and I'd be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

If Cody brings him in with 2min to go it's complete bollix. I wouldn't blame Padraig for leaving the panel.

You have Paddy Deegan skying ball all day long in the half back line and then Cody really messing around with a heads up intelligent player, like Padraig, who could play on that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

I know age and injury are most likely.

Sometimes when fellas overdo (I know sounds strange) the gym they have more power but lose a bit of pace. TJs occupation, so he should know what he's at.

Granted he turns 35 this year only a few, Martin Storey, Joe Dooley in hurling managed to maintain pace. Mickey Linden, a complete freak, was still fast in intercounty at 41.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

So you can`t go support them with Cody at the helm and you also hate the running game and sweepers. Good luck with that. You won`t have a game to go to. Also, there`s a big difference to delivering from deep compared to from midfield. There is a cost to getting possession to midfield in the first place which will see turnovers closer to your own goal. Look what Galway did to us in the first half last time. While I accept that we need to mix it up more with our puck outs, I think there is a general over estimation of the value of the short passing running game. It all looks great when the ball gets worked up the field and ends with a well worked score, but people tend to forget the turnovers and their cost. It is a biased evaluation similar to the gambler who recalls his winners but when he tots up his profit and loss at the end of the year he realizes he would have been better off if he hadn`t had a bet at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Looks like team starting as per team selection

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Take richie reid off, awful awful distribution and its only 7mins in

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

What are they doing with so many short puck outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

We will always hang in there but lads we don't win any high deliveries into our forwards. Galway staying right on our full forward line but we have to feed eoin cody more. He's the one player that we have that can open up the Galway full back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Galway are very physical (dirty). Lots of high challenges

They should have at least two goals by now. They have opened up Kilkenny a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Because Burke and Mannion are eating the long ball in fairness.

Forwards not winning enough ball at all. Loads of them completely anonymous.

Wind should see Galway home from here but we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭kksaints

Weird match. Lucky Galway haven't taken at least one of their goal chances but we are making it tough for them in midfield to get through. Forwards started well but have drifted out of the game the last 15 or so. Mixing up the puckouts at least but lads are running into tackles far too often in the backline. Need to distribute the ball quicker. Also ball needs to be into hand, too often it bounces in front of the receiver and makes it trickier than it needs to be.

Advertisement