Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Also Richie reid fouled 3 times in the one incident. The 1st challenge on him was worse than richie hogan's red card incident a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Imagine a lineman watching that stamp and the response is to book a kk selector. And the culprit gets a point with the next ball. Scandalous reffing all round in that half. If the ref doesn't want to take care of the players they may take it into their own hands.

How we haven't conceded a goal is beyond me, Galway have put us under enormous pressure. I've seen more than enough of Richie Reid at this stage, and we're well past time to bring in the two Walshes in the forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

I understand how the ref might not have seen it as he was dealing with the original foul but the linesman was right there! Unbelievable that it went unnoticed..

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭davidx40

How is Richie Leahy still on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Great to win it. Great fight.

Two poor poor teams but **** it. Galway should be embarrassed.

Lawlor, Butler and Mullen excellent. TJ unreal from frees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Comerman

Butler man of the match

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Jaysus.

Galway lads must feel even worse than we did after the Wexford game. They were awful, and their discipline non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Could feel the old eyes closing in the second half there; absolute snoozefest of a match.

Some people are never happy, Unreal 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭davidx40

Like watching a slow dripping tap ......desperate stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

in comparison to game before it between kerry and antrim it was depressing stuff but a win is a win...

reading thru some of the comments here bout KK's underage structures.. maybe im getting old but it isnt all that long ago.. early 2000s maybe that the KK underage system was being held up as a perfect example of how an underage structure should be.. what has happened since??

Cody might be alot of things.. but ones thing for certain.. bit like jack o'connor here in Kerry... hes passionate bout KK hurling.... and his teams have a magnificent never say die attitude.... fighting til the final whistle..... while the hurlers might not be classiest ye've ever had... they are all well able to hook block intercept get in the flicks at the right time... brilliant traits for players to have.... i reckon if they meet limerick they wont be far off...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

Based on what Galway showed tonight Shefflin as guaranteed future successful Kilkenny manager is dubious. Kilkenny's starting forward line managed only 0-3 from play and still they could win pulling away. Cork will destroy Galway. No obvious game plan at all. Kilkenny now in the better side of the draw so a great chance of progressing. Match was a tough watch but unsurprising in that.

He certainly put a lie to idea that only non-Kilkenny players are able to lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Are you insinuating that he dived? Took a clip of an elbow from Fahey and then a frontal charge from Cooney. Don't think there was any dirt in Cooneys tackle but he's a huge man so surely going to be rattled after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good to win Leinster again. Backline improved considerably in the second half but bar TJ and Mullen our forwards had a shocker. Won't winning any All-Irelands playing like that again but that's a problem for another day.

No, I'm "insinuating" that if a Galway player did similar against Kilkenny he'd be accused of milking the situation. A player is entitled to hit the ground if he takes a hit. But that's not always acknowledged here.

I don't think any of those hits put him down but the stamp on the knee from Fahey? Number 14 did the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

And the most unbelievable thing for me was the way Joanne Cantwell tried to airbrush over it at half time. The first challenge alone should've been a red, the stamp a definite red and the 2 neck high challenges by Coen both yellows. Unintentional i know, but both reckless and dangerous. When we consider what Hegarty got sent off for in Ennis.....!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Some lads on here have made total **** eejits of themselves with their comments. Congrats to Cody and the team. Roll on the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

With your constant in game moaning about referees( not isolated to today)on the All Ireland thread its pretty rich of you to refer to anyone else in those terms.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

That is absolute rubbish, you said it put a lie to only non Kilkenny players lying down, therefore you are saying he lay down. A nasty comment about a player who had taken a few hard hits but I would not expect any better of you. Bit like our own CityKat poster who is equally one eyed and an embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭The_Tank

Kilkenny played smart hurling for once. They combined that with the kind of work ethic that comes from a team who were stung. If we played long and dumb we would have been bet, but Galway couldn’t handle our approach because we did it ten times better than Salthill. In fact we turned the tables and made the turnovers. Despite our limitations in personnel we used our wit and were greater than the sum of our parts. Credit to the team and management on that. The challenge is now to avoid slipping back into old habits - following our good day, bad day pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

mighty win for kilkenny to be fair , looking at the form guide leading into the game it wasnt great ,

it just shows how cody gets teams ready for the important days , it makes it almost impossible to break down the wexford game two weeks ago , workrate that day was two or three timzones away from today

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It was a very good win playing some smart hurling and a return to the work rate that is our hallmark. Galway showed very little heart in the second half, and we have much bigger challenges ahead that's for sure. But we're also one game away from an all Ireland. Savage stuff. Performance from tj was phenomenal especially.

At half time I was not pleased to be honest, felt like we were very very lucky to not have conceded goals and the performance from the half backs was awful, for similar reasons as the last day. But all credit to Cody and the detectors, they stuck to a plan, and brought in Padraig Walsh when there was still time for him to do some damage (still should have started). Still a huge amount to improve upon and you'd worry if we have the consistency to up it again now against someone like cork or Clare, or maybe even limerick. But I'd be a lot more optimistic than I was this morning.

Hard not to agree with the consensus that Cody let himself, and let's be honest, the county, down with his actions after the match. The easiest thing in the world would have been to shake Henry's hand, kill off that nonsense story. Not doing so was a choice. I don't expect him to like Henry for leaving, and I don't care if he's a likeable person, but that was just making a show of yourself. And he clearly says something to Henry when Henry has to be the bigger man and go and shake his hand, going by sheffs reaction. You wouldn't mind too much but it's not like Cody didn't owe shefflin anything. Very disappointing and took away from a great win.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Nothing special or to be worried about but in fairness, fair play Kilkenny, played smarter today and kept the work rate up. I thought Leahy done well acc on first looking got a score set up another and involved in a few. 3 Leinsters in a row now who can complain. TJ’s free absolutely superb everything I thought that might go wrong didn’t and opens it up for us now. Brian Cody trending on Twitter but he’s Kilkenny hurling above all else no matter who he’s against and the players gave abso everything today. Cody don’t care how many all irelands shefflin won him as long as he’s with galway. Lots to work on of course and after losing the last 2 Semi’s we should be up for it against presumedly clare or Wexford. Good day all round. Strange team we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

sheff didnt seem happy as cody pranced around the field , but lets be fair thats a huge win for a dangerous looking Kilkenny team , no one has died yet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭The_Tank

Henry held firm on the sideline for some reason. Could have sorted it himself by just going to Cody, who had no interest in the panto. I think he looked affected by the whole thing and I also suspect on some level he had a lot of misgivings after watching the most kilkenny of performances. It might have actually dawned on him that he was in the wrong camp, not with his people. I also don’t think Galway were well served with his focus on the Kilkenny players rather than the Galway ones. Shoot over to Cody and show it’s water off a ducks back and then circle his own players with a defiant team talk would have been the right reaction in my opinion (easy in hindsight I know) but I don’t think Henry is in the headspace for that with what he’s endured personally and with the circus around his relationship with Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

A bit rich out of you i wonder if it happened to one of the shower where you are from.

Looked to me like Shefflin over-thought the handshake at the end in the previous game. Joe Canning was clearly very wrong in his "nothing to see here, the two boys will be having a laugh about it, but the plebs wouldn't understand" analysis of that. Looks like Shefflin stayed put to see if Cody would come over. Cody, like any leader, does abrupt and unemotional naturally and very well and did not give a sh!t. Likewise the Kilkenny players weren't rushing to Shefflin after.

The handshake in the end was initiated by Shefflin to, I would say, not escalate a situation by having no handshake at all. And clearly Cody gave him some home truth at the moment judging by Shefflin's headshaking.

Kilkenny should make the final at the least. They'll play Clare in the semi final and they are not the team they think they are. Will be well beaten today. Hard graft would probably be enough to beat Clare too.

Kilkenny's problem is that they don't have a scoring forward. Not every day will they meet a team than can score only 0-15 in 76/77 minutes. That'd be a baseline half-time score for the better teams.

Cody nailed on for as long as he wants right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

KK dont have a scoring forward..... Jaysus...

Clare are a much more honest spirited bunch than Galway..... letts face it when galways mettle is tested... 9 times out of 10 they fold.... no bit of fight in them at all when the going gets tough.... i have never seen a galway team being lauded for its workrate or intensity.... and prob never will... actually the only time i can remember galway playing with intensity was 2001 semifinal against KK...

id fancy Clare if they came up against KK

Advertisement