Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

I have no agenda there is two of them in it, Shefflin was involved in a co final when they lost he ran off the field he made the most of it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭kk.man

Agree..we wouldn't be able to keep it pucked out the either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

Would be great to see Clare win to have a Limerick-Kilkenny semi final just in case one of them was shocked in the All Ireland semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

What a game. Outrageous bottle out of TK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Very impressed with Clare, they make very good use of the ball. You would think that they should be good enough to beat Wx and ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

It was, but he had a very quiet 2nd half by his standards and thought it was a bad decision of him to take point when goal was on in Extra Time.

If Clare can get a bit more out of Duggan, O'Donnell and Rogers (all rusty), they should beat Wexford and us, and might do Limerick at 3rd time of asking. After two draws there is no question they are very close to Limerick, and most likely team to down them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ladibai

I thought Cody was a disgrace. Unless someone can explain why he is acting so cruel? It seem a bit like a abusive relationship when someone leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

Yeterday's game was a tense tight affair. The cats won a dogfight against a packed Galway defence intent on stopping the Kilkenny goal threat by any means. Someone must have had a word with Owens at half time as he correctly clamped down on persistent Galway fouling in the second half. Galway were poor and were not at the races and missed some sitters. We mixed it up a bit more in our approach than against Wexford and showed a lot more intensity. Our stand out players, as most have already acknowledged, were Butler, TJ, Mullen and the much maligned Paddy Deegan. It's still criminal not to start Padraig Walsh. Today's Munster final by comparison was different in terms of skill level and matched yesterdays for intensity. Not sure if we could match either of these two teams. However its a different kind of hurling and as we saw in the U20 the Kilkenny fight, tactics and skill downed the Limerick flair. So there's some glimmer of hope although tactics and flexibility may be an issue. I'm sure this Munster final will be drooled over for weeks to come by the adoring media with a great deal of justification. However, I must again raise the issue of blatant throwing of the ball by Limerick. They do this in tight spaces when the pressure is on to get themselves out of trouble. At one stage I counted three in a row. They also do it often to create scoring chances. The referee today (Keenan) was totally blind to this as was Horgan the linesman when a particularly blatant throw was executed just in front of him. Ironically Tom Morrisey who I did not think capable of making a legal handpass executed one just the right side of legal to Hegarty for his truly fantastic goal. That aside, in a tight game these illegal infringements can influence the outcome of games. If we meet Limerick or Cork at any stage I sincerely hope that Cody marches into the Referees room before the match and asks him to referee this infringement as per the laws of the game. All the pundits and commentators (Marty "oh my word" Morrisey included) totally ignore the throwing. It's driving me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Agree with you very much re the throwing. GAA need to make a call on it, decide whether to scrap the rule or enforce it. There's no doubt it's changing the game hugely, bringing it closer to football. A few teams, Limerick #1, are really capitalising on the poor refereeing of it. As long as they get away with it, who can blame them. But the game is poorer for it IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Cork are pretty bad for it too particularly Coleman and Fitzgibbon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Looks like you called that one right. Not the best of games to watch but a lot of positives in the way they moved the ball, didn’t resort to lumping it.

Couldn’t believe there was no changes when the teams were called out before it started, maybe leahy was going better in training than padraig, couldn’t really fault him, especially for first game this year. Good to see fogarty getting full 70 mins too

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Clare were not well beaten today as you predicted.

And hopefully hopefully you are wrong about the future for BC too.

the whole handshake thing is a load of bo**ox but looked like there was a pair of them with issues. Shefflin stood on the sideline and refused to budge for 5 mins glancing over. Pair of them should have shook hands before the game and got it over with. Hopefully that’s the end of it and never have to hear this nonsense again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Comerman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The throwing really is a blight.

When i am training young lads I'm trying to show them the legal way, but I do wonder am I wasting my time as they can see the lads on tv getting away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SpudsandGuinness

Been a stubborn Kilkenny man all that is on his mind is his players maybe that's why Kilkenny put there hurling before what people want to see on the TV maybe that's why they've 36 just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SpudsandGuinness

I'd put it down to you not knowing or do I buy you can't say it hasn't been manipulated by rte especially J cantwell high lighted that today it's basically bate for anyone who have been waiting for years who are anti Cody it's there time now to bite and by god they will. So obvious. I respect Cody as a manager given shefflin the cold shoulder pure respect right there . He fears what shefflin has to offer . The smaller world will listen to RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Strange world we’re living in that most of the talk amongst people after completing a Leinster three in a row is about a handshake. Since everyone else has an opinion on it mine is Henry stood still for several minutes so there was no way Cody (or any other manager) would walk down the line to shake hands with that manager. They would do what Cody did and wait for the opposition manager to compose themselves after defeat and then make their way over (like Shefflin did). Really nothing to see here but people love stirring up some controversy.

Shefflin on the sideline after the match, calling over Eoin Cody on the pitch to congratulate him and lurking in the tunnel waiting to shake hands with all the Kilkenny players looked very very confused. I wonder has the penny finally dropped with him that he has made a really poor decision in taking the Galway job? No turning back now Henry. You’ve made your uncomfortable bed now so you may lie in it for at least another two years. Unless he brings success to Galway he might struggle to manage Kilkenny anytime too soon, if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Just to add to the Cody/Shefflin issue - Cody asked Shefflin to join his management team on two occasions. He refused and subsequently announced he was going to one of our main opponents, Galway. Cody is an out and out Kilkenny man as we all know. He would view Shefflin's move to Galway as disloyal to Kilkenny, to the current and former players, to his club Shamrocks - including his own relations , to the Ballyhale community and so on.

I wish Cody handled the situation better but I can understand his disgust with Shefflin. t

Watching Shefflin on the sideline during and after the match looked to me like there was a sudden dawning on him as to the mistake he made in going to Galway. He handled the whole after match very poorly, especially with not going over to his players immediately. And nice and all as his shaking hands with the Kilkenny players was, his place was in the Galway dressing rooms. He should have done the shaking hands on the pitch, even Cody did that much.

I feel Shefflin has a lot to learn. The question is, will he be allowed the time? Past history in Galway suggests not.

I don't the issue was that he realised he had made a "mistake". That suggests that going to a county outside is by definition a mistake. That would be hugely unfair to the people who coach teams outside their counties. Sure Kilkenny are not so insular as to think special rules apply to them. Shefflin is entitled to do as he wishes.

I would say his after-match stuff was pondering how he would deal with an emotionless megalomaniac after what happened in Salthill. So he stayed put on the sideline assuming winning would salve his mood somewhat and Cody might adhere to the accepted protocol of meeting the opposition manager on the sideline. Then in the end I'd say he approached the Kilkenny manager so as not to have no handshake at all. Judging by Shefflin's body language after that the comment from Cody was along the lines of "take that you c***."

I'd say at that moment not joining Cody's management team and instead leaving was hardly regarded as a mistake. More a narrow (and well compensated) escape I would say?

Shefflin should be driven to produce a team next year to bury Kilkenny and Cody once and for all.

• Advertisement

A mistake in the sense that he's plotting the downfall of his own friends and relations.

He certainly cannot be only realising that in hindsight. And again, Kilkenny is not a special case. There are countless examples of this already happening. Whatever he was mulling over in those moments after the final whistle it should not have been that. He might not have seen Cody's personal obnoxiousness and emotional psychopathy coming but his own reaction should have been sorted.

I'm not talking about after the match only. He looked lost during it.

No other manager would have achieved so much with his county as Shefflin did and then try to leave it all behind you.

Rumblings from the Kilkenny camp over the last weeks suggested that the players were very unhappy. Well Cody must have waved a magic wand as the players demonstrated great hunger and drive, and celebrated afterwards like it was their first Leinster title in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Fully agree on your last sentence; I've been at All Ireland finals where kk players didn't celebrate half as much. Was very surprised seeing them down at the hill.

Kk were the better team and deserved the win. We were awful on the night and the game never caught fire. It was a weird game though and even more oddly I wasn't a bit disappointed we lost

Best of luck in the semi final. I'll be supporting all the Leinster teams - sick of the media love of all things Munster. Would be hilarious if three Leinster teams finish up in the semis

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Dear God, get a grip!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

A much improved display from the Wx match and better use of the ball. Eoin Murphy did well with his saves and short puckouts. However, if Galway had to take one of their goal chances and scored their frees, they would have won. Generally, I would see us around the same level as Galway.

Midfield is still an issue with any 2 out of Fogarty, Kenny, Browne, Maher, Murphy, Mullen, Leahy on any particular day. I would have Mullen in the forwards along with Cody and an aging TJ. After that it is any 3 out of P Walsh, Walter, Keoghan, Donnelly, Ryan, and Kenny/Leahy playing as forwards. A lot of players at a similar level but none of them free scoring forwards. If we managed to get Clare/Wx on a bad day, we could make the final but Clare's worst performance in their 5 matches has been better than our best performance in 6 matches. An honourable defeat is the best we might achieve. However, it might be better in the long run if we got well beaten and started building again under a new manager

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Did you see the stud marks on Richie Reid’s arms when he was lifting the cup.

The reaction of the players to Cody after the match, interviews etc doesn’t match up with the rumours. Hard to know what to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I'm not sure I'd go as far as cruel but there has always been a callousness in him (I feel forged from him having been treated poorly as a player) that I have felt reflects badly on him. When we were winning people actually considered this a positive attribute "Cody makes the hard calls, is ruthless" etc.

But at end of day you are dealing with amateur sporstmen who are making monstrous personal commitments to play. That deserves respect and humility from a manager.

No one is suggesting a manager should be best buddies with his players but he should show them respect and sporting goodwill. He has shown none of that to Henry these last few weeks, and I think it reflects awfully on his reputation as a supposed "selfless sporting man".

Cody's reputation as essentially a straight shooting, hard but fair man with no ego or agendas, has taken a beating over last few years. A lot of people inside and oustide Kilkenny have reset their opinions of him.

• Advertisement

Many would dislike Cody's attitude towards Shefflin. In the same way, many were disgusted when Shefflin went to Galway, including those in his own club and community.

Cody could better handle his disappointment of Shefflin's refusal to join his team and subsequent joining the enemy. We'll never know exactly what went on in the lead up to Shefflin taking over Galway. It's a shame he didn't throw in his lot with the underage or squads in Kilkenny and then perhaps replace Cody. But that scenario looks dead in the water now.

Advertisement