Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Can't see us starting Richie Hogan midfield against Cork. Do you play Fogarty and just sit him in the half back line to cover the runner from deep? Leahy for his legs? Is Browne fit? Some interesting choices ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Bookies have it as 50/50 which is fair enough. The thoughts of Jack O'Connor running at Paddy Deegan would give you nightmares. Cork will run at our defence to create goals, yellow cards, sin bins and penalties. If somehow we are in the running in the last 10 minutes, I would give us a chance as the effects of the playing consecutive weeks might catch up on Cork. They seemed to be struggling for a while in the last quarter before they pulled away again. Michael Carey to start with his pace? Conor Browne if fit for the same reason? Tough ask on Tommy Walsh to mark Horgan.

On the other hand, Cork also conceded a lot of scores and we have a few forwards to bring on for the last quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Thing with paddy is he has loads of pace that's not his problem. He gets caught out of position and then commits headless fouls. I've actually come to like him honest and will give his all. Just needs a bit of coaching on his positioning. Pace won't be a problem for him. If we keep it tight at the back there is goals to be got off that cork backline. They looked Ropey enough to me tonight against a poor Dublin forward unit. TJ could make hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Paddy has become a bit of a leader for this team and gives his all. I've grown to like him and I believe he has many attributes but I wouldn't have said pace was one of them.

So to compare Kilkenny 2020 to Kilkenny 2021. Last year we caught a Galway team on the hop as they were sleepwalking their way to victory, scrambled over the line against Dublin before collapsing against Waterford

This year we had a moderate league, unimpressive against Laois and Antrim, beating Wexford and losing to Clare. Wexford has a last minute goal ruled out in the Leinster semi-final before we beat a covid depleted Dublin team.

Personnel wise, the backs are similar to last year with James Maher probably starting compared to Conor Delaney. Richie Reid maybe starting in midfield instead of Cillian Buckley, In the forwards, Adrian Mullen starts this year where Richie Hogan started last year

Was fitness an issue last year and are we fitter this year? Hard to say our backs or midfield are in better form than last year. Forwards hard to say. Last year we had Colin Fennelly and Walter on the bench, this year Walter and James Bergin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Both Kilkenny and Cork beat Dublin by similar margins. Therefore I feel it's a fifty fifty match. What might swing it for Kilkenny is the fact that they're lasting the pace over 70 minutes way better this year. Cork may feel the effects of playing three matches on the trot. However if Cork manage to get up to the pace quicker on the day and build up a sizable lead, we might be chasing the game throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Definitely think Cork playing three weeks in a row is a big advantage to Kilkenny. Also Kilkenny usually start well and will aim to again on Sunday next. Cork have a couple of injuries too but at least have an extra day recovery as opposed to Waterford. Very hard game to call but think Kk have the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I think the cork match is a 50-50 match.Cork have their dander up and are definitely coming.Plenty of pace in attack which we won't like.They haven't won a match in croke park since 2014 I think but this team hasn't much baggage.They also have some good subs and have added steel to the backline something which hasn't always being the case.Both teams will fancy their chances.

On ourselves I take the point we were lucky enough against wexford especially with the goal at the end but eoin cody and alan Murphy missed 3 goals between them.I know rory o Connor was inches away from getting a goal aswell but we're cork not a collins save away from losing to clare when Tony Kelly had his shot saved?thats the way these things go you need a bit of luck along the way.Tipp had 2 or 3 good chances Saturday to beat Waterford.On the face of it this is a 50-50 game and ourselves and cork will both have to make a big improvement from the last match to get into a final

We are probably lucky to have started this rebuild a few years ago and remained competitive.Tipp and galway have to now start this rebuild.

I think we have definitely adjusted better to the modern game and our subs have worked well but the big test now lies ahead

When we brought on our subs against Waterford last year they didn't work so this should be a lesson for next Sunday

Alot of talk about delaney being close and Hogan starting so the team selection will be interesting.Id probably go with carey for his pace to get forward but a few big decisions to be made

Workrate from the Kilkenny forwards is going to be critical in trying to prevent Cork from working the ball through the lines. In some ways Cork remind me of a back line in rugby the way they attack with a couple of runners running off the shoulder of the man with the ball. I think Kilkenny will have to have a midfielder playing deep to try and counteract this.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

I'm not so sure this cork team are that different to those of the past few years .cork have always had pace in the forwards. They have beaten clare and dublin which are at a similar level to themselves. The test will come when the Kilkenny forwards start to really work there backs with high intensity tackling and they have to hit 50/50ball down to forwards. Our forwards can win those not so sure corks can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

Like most said Cork coming in the back door will be to our advantage. I was mighty impressed with the team V Wexford and how they finished them off. Being a few questions since but those should be ironed out come Sunday.

If ever we got a lucky run to an Ireland semi it was this year. Cork haven't won a game in HQ for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Village87

TJ will go to town against that Cork full back line. Kilkenny will play with 11/12 lads working back. getting behind the ball, squeeze Cork for space and lump it up to TJ. Kilkenny by 3/4 points

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭murtyd17

Any sign of tickets for Sunday going on general sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

on sale since 11.30.

im 5988 in the Q .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

I think we are at a big disadvantage. We`ve only had one really competitive game and now several weeks later we have to face a team that has been hardened by the qualifiers. It`s last year all over again. I think Waterford will give Limerick plenty of it too. The record of Munster champions in All Ireland semi`s since 1998 is abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well at least you're making progress 😀

I dropped the ball on this and only joined a queue a short while ago. I'm not too hopeful that there will be any tickets when I reach the top.

Did you get the quantity of tickets you wanted? And where are they for?

No juvenile left, so had to pay full whack.

I got 3 in the Upper Hogan on the 45yd line.

• Advertisement

I just got my tickets now. About a three hour wait in the online queue also. The seats aren't great but I'm just delighted to be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Any word on Conor browne ? Did leahy also have a niggle ?

Would you be worried about our own defence?We have done a bit of changing all over the field.

Team selection is obviously crucial midfield especially where we have done a huge amount of chopping and changing.

Adrian mullen will probably be midfield.Im suprised we didn't try maher here and maybe carey at wing back but with browne probably out he could of being a option here but maybe delaney could come into the backs?Leahy has being struggling and takes a bit much out of the ball and Richie Reid has being in and out

Some of our forwards have being inconsistent so we will need all firing Sunday.Billy Ryan hasn't done much since the league wexford match.Donnelly has being in and out.Personally I think Billy Ryan,James bergin and Alan Murphy are better suited when the game opens up.Eoin cody has being a great find.We will hope himself and tj cause harm inside.Id expect Hogan to see gametime this wknd.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭murtyd17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’m interested to know how a team like Cork with a decent test against Clare and another game in the legs against Dublin will work to Kilkenny’s advantage? I think Cork are a stronger team and have a better spread of players who are starting to hit a bit of form. Kilkenny have had no test so far and that absolute hammering they got off Waterford in the at this stage in last years championship isn’t that long ago at all. Cork aren’t a bad team at all and while I think Cork will be too strong on Sunday, the all Ireland will be won by one of Limerick or Waterford who are miles ahead of any other team in the country on what we’ve seen over the last 12 months.

I think Kilkenny are fortunate to be in the Semi and I’d have them as the worst of the four teams left in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

It'll be a very interesting game and I think Limerick showed the template on how to beat this Cork side. Press them high up the field and stop the lovely delivery into the forwards. There is no doubt Corks forwards are lethal when they get the ball in hand and get to turn you. What we need to do is make the ball coming out from their backs favour ours. If our full, half forward and midfield work like dogs then the Cork backs will struggle to deliver the kind of ball their forwards need. I don't think Cork have too many forwards who can stand toe, toe with a defender and win a good percentage of the ball coming in, particularly if it has snow on it or is a rushed delivery. Pressure is going to be key in this game. We know our lads can handle pressure but can we apply enough to Cork and can they still turn it on, when their under sustained pressure for 75mins. The one thing we can pretty much take for granted, is we will bring huge work rate and pressure. We also have the forwards who can win their own ball like Cody, TJ, Mullen (if in there), Wally. Before the year I would have feared what scores we could put up against teams but our forwards have been clicking by and large so I have no fear of the Cork defence. I think we're different to what they've had to deal with up to now.

The final advantage I see us having is our impact off the bench. We have had a huge boost of energy and scores from the bench both days and I think this will see us over the line.

Obviously there are loads of ways we can loose this game but the more I think about it if we perform to our ability I can't see us beat. If we're of by half a percent we'll be watching the AI from our couches and bar stools.

Team selection will be interesting but I have faith in our squad that I'm not overly worried about who is starting.

I'll finally add that I heard today Browne is out (unsurprisingly) and D Mullen will likely miss out too as he's injury has flaired back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Would like to see

Donnelly, TJ, Mossy

Cody, Wally, A Murphy

I think you can lump high ball in with Cody, Wally, TJ and Donnelly all with great paws on them. Mossy, Donnelly and Alan Murphy to do a huge amount of tackling and harassing. I'd leave Cody and Wally inside a lot but alternate them out to the half forward line for 5-10 minute spells to give TJ and Donnelly a spin in the FF line.

Leaves you R Hogan, Bergin, Billy Ryan to come on and play their part for the last 20-30 mins.

Goalkeeper and FB line shouldn't see any changes I expect, Maher, Walsh, Carey half back line and Reid and Mullen midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Also heard richie Reid is the constant in midfield A team in training with hogan and Mullen having been tried

So might be very few changes from Dublin game

• Advertisement

It's a pity bout Darren mullen.He is having trouble with hamstrings.Hopefully he can get these niggles sorted and come back better next year.

Advertisement