Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭crossman47

As a Corkman I came on here to pay tribute to Kk for the fight they put up. I can't believe after that that anyone wants Cody to go. No one else could have got that display out of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Village87

Deegan has been found out in Croke Park time after time , he was destroyed today. Gave away 4 frees also. Hegarty also assisted 3 other points. Heroic performances from TJ and Huh Lawlor, fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Just in the door lads. For a start congratulations to Limerick. They got their scores just that little bit easier than us and they missed veryittle apart from 2 efforts 5 mins before half time.

On the other hand we have to hand it to our lads. They got the worst possible start but kept pegging away at the scores.

We weren't on to the breaking ball at all in the 1st half and everything went right for Limerick and still only 4 points ahead at half time.

Although padraig got a couple of scores there definitely something in relation to a slight injury as his fitness is not as it should be.

We hurled a lot better in the 2nd half and were fully deserving to get level but Limerick worked through the lines a bit better than us. No sour grapes but they were ably assisted by poor decisions by colm lyons and on at least 8 occasions throwing the ball but it worked for them and they are champions this evening.

The other thing to note is the scores we missed coming on to full time. TJ probably should have popped over his simplest score. Ditto Adrian mullen under the cusack stand.

Those are the breaks I suppose. I didn't think Cody could change his ways but to be fair he has. I'm assuming that he will stay on board. We were so close today and had our chances to win it. We have to recognise that this Limerick teams fitness and strength allied to their hurling is excellent. We're not far behind but better conditioning has to be a top priority fir us moving forward. There's celtic crosses in this team. I'm sure of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Ah here we can't be criticising conditioning after today. Every single player on both sides were out on their feet after 70 mins in that heat in that intensity of a game. It was incredible stuff.

The biggest thing to consider is the tactics and puck outs. On our own we were pretty rubbish and our plan was obviously go long and win the breaks but they just had too many bodies back and won 90% of them. When we did go short Murphy was fairly ropey with a couple of them and then, other than one from Tommy Walsh to PW near the end of the 1st half our second ball wasn't great.

On theirs it seemed a conscious decision to press them high and force them long thinking we could match them in the air but the movement of their half forward line is savage and just tires them out. Deegan wasn't great but I'm not going to slag him off. It's fine pushing forward but we clearly need to learn how to zonal mark more as we got murdered on their puck outs at times as well.

And saying all that we had wides from Cody, Richie, Mullen, TJ in the game that you'd expect them to nail most of the time. Ifs and buts.....

I walked out of the finals we lost to Tipp in 10,16 and 19 despondent but today I think we got as big a performance as we could and just lost to a better team so disappointed but happy with the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I'm not arguing the conditions today. The boys gave their all. I'm talking in general the difference in relation to limericks conditioning and most other teams. To be fair they have the financial backing of JP.

Our boys gave 110% today and came up just short.

They did us proud today. Anyone going on about players letting us down needs checking out. No one let us down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kilkenny gave it everything today and should be proud of their performance, Limerick just the better team on the day. A few wides where we might have scored in the second half. Thought we found it hard to win frees in the second half. Hurls dragged out of Kilkenny defenders hands on 3 occasions resulting in 2 scores. However, I am sure Lk supporters could point to incidents also. The big bugbear is the endemic throwing of the ball, it is beyond a joke. Most supporters agree, the GAA are not interested

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ttowncat

Feel sorry for deegan. He tried his best but had an impossible job, for any man i dare say. Hegarty could run towards space and the ball would be there for him. Don't think anyone could outpace, outreach or shove him off the ball. Deegan had no protection from limerick puckouts. The forwards didnt track back for limerick puckouts so as to stop the short one and then the half backs tried to stay back to stop quaid going direct to limerick full forward line.

Limerick are awesome outfit and well done to them.

Final note. The ball handles like a size 4 in all but name and width. Too light. Ridiculous scores from way out the field. Lads bouncing the ball regularly. Bring back the good version of the noughties o'neills sliotars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭Brian017

It’s a unpopular opinion but I agree with you. Limerick scored 3 frees from inside their own 45 and Kilkenny also scored one. Frees from there shouldn’t be resulting in free shot on goal. The ball is travelling too far imho

• Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Probably needs a bit of space and time to do it gracefully. He looked his age today I thought. Time for younger blood to have it's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Watching the Sunday Game now. Fantastic show ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

I'm sure it's past your bedtime mummy must be on the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Village87, you forgot to slate Conor Fogerty too he was on for about 5 minutes.

Paddy Deegan left his heart on that pitch as he always does. Can you please explain what team/changes you would ofHow you class yourself as a supporter is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Absolutely no point in engaging with him over Kilkenny, I'd be surprised if he's actually a kk fan. Paddy gave everything for the jersey today.

I thought Fogarty could have come on for Conor Browne early in the second half but hard to be critical of management or any player today. Very proud Kilkenny man tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

hard luck today lads but ye can be very positive about the future , clare and galway both lost out in the semi finals this year but it will be tipperary and yerselves that will take over the mantle after limerick depart

the performance of tj , hue lawlor , and mullan were fantastic as was young tommy walsh , degan seems to be getting a hard time but he scored two fantastic points from play and conceded nothin of his man in the second half

it was a serious performance in sweltering heat against probably one of the fittest teams to play the game , as a neutral it was a fantastic game to watch , with the emergance of the likes of david blanchfield cian kenny conor browne , the future is very bright for kilkenny hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

A great game & Kilkenny gave it their all. Limerick were just about deserved winners though!

I couldn't understand why Kilkenny didn't go for goal in stoppage time instead of taking points!

• Advertisement

"Very proud Kilkenny man tonight"

You are proud of Kilkenny losing is it? I would have thought Kilkenny don't accept defeat in All Ireland finals but sure whatever keeps you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Not long home after a long, sweaty day.

We came up short but can be proud of our team. Limerick are a fabulous team, and were excellent today. Realistically, we had no right to get within 2. In Hannon and especially Hegarty today they had 2 lads that made the difference.

The manner in which we went down is to be commended. Fought to the end and can have no regrets. Each and every one of them can be proud tonight.

We struggled on the Limerick puckout. They way they bunched in the middle and darted for the sidelines worked well against our setup. A zonal defensive unit may have worked better. Might be something to consider next year..

A couple of our lads never got going but the experience will stand to them in the future. Take TJ out and it's a very young team. We were again very reliant on him today and he will be very hard replaced...

The throwing of the ball is gone absolutely stratospheric. The GAA need to address it. I'd say Limerick were 50/50 throws/handpasses today. I noticed today it has crept into our gane a little bit too, which I hate to see.

The Limerick fans are a great bunch. We don't get to play them often, but real decent hurling people. Gracious in victory.

Anyway, it was a wonderful spectacle. The atmosphere was electric and the game lived up to the hype. How lucky we are to have this sport, our national treasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Watching again on the Sunday game, jaysis ye left yereselves wide open on Limerick puck outs on second half. Two lads in the middle, one or two simple dummy runs and free run for the ball out to the wing.

Might have been better off leave them have it short and push back into those spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Look do us all a favour and jog on. You have spent the last 6 hours having a pop at kk. It's boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

It was obvious after 10 minutes that they were cleaning us on their puckouts with their plan. Should have let them have it short and see how that played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭riddles

The hand-pass needs to be dispensed with in favour of a looped throw which is essentially what we have today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭Brian017

I've put him on ignore. Adds nothing constructive obviously just here to WUM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭kk.man

Can't blame Deegan Hergarty was unmarkable today imo. Such a machine.

Kk team and management did a brilliant job no fault can be layed there either.

I looked at our team and the way they were set up midway through the second half and I honestly believed we had the best selection all year going into the melting pot.

I'm never happy after an all Ireland loss but I'm not disappointed this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭blackcard

Very disappointed to lose, we were right there with a few minutes togo. Lk kept their cool and worked points. Would love to see a game where they weren't allowed to throw the ball 20+ times or grab opponents hurls.

Advertisement