Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. You obviously do care what I think as you read my post and felt the need to respond in an amateur way.

This is a discussion board and il say what I want about hurling and Kilkenny whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

@Amprodude I'd say you've more than one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Brian Cody you would not have calling him a lucrative manager when he got the job, Gorta by all accounts has kept the show on the road the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Looking back on the semi finals and final. I felt we impressed in the semi against Clare and that Limerick just did enough although i felt Limk were a far better oiled machine than us. In the final we needed the start Limk got but battled away and the little things didnt go our way but overall the better team on the day won. But i think we have a good foundation to build on particularly in defense. Big problems up front if/when Tj goes. I just dont see anyone filling his boots.

As for the future i expected Brian would stay on for another season and even his biggest detractors could not complain if he did. I personally felt we needed a change but he proved me wrong this season. If he goes he bows out with dignity and it is an end of an era not only for Kilkenny but for the GAA. If it is announced today or this week as expected he is thinking of Kilkenny first and trying to give the board and his sucessor the best possible chance going forward to plan. He could easily wait for a couple of months.

I am not sure who can fill his boots. The obvious choices are Shefflin and Lyng and i wouldnt be dissappointed with either.

Going back to the Cody/Shefflin handshake drama maybe Brian always knew he was going to call time this year and thats why he wanted him onboard last year for this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I also thought after last Sunday that he might stay on board for another year. It was the tiniest of margins that deprived us of a victory last Sunday. Yes Limerick created their scores that little bit easier but you would have to say that we have improved our play since the Wexford game in Nowlan park. A lot still to do in moving the ball but certainly improvements made.

Whatever decision is made then we should be happy with it. I know ive been fairly vocal in how weve played over the last few years but you have to give credit where credit is due and its certainly due after last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Village87

TJ Reid has kept the show on the road the last couple of years.

I think people have rightly voiced their concerns over the last few years about our style of play. But we have to give credit also to Brian and the team. The improvement from Wexford has been massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Exactly. Imagine if the players had had more time to adapt to the smarter hurling. Whoever takes over should learn from what was achieved since the Wexford match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Heard there is a county board meeting called for this evening with no agenda (only one thing to discuss I suppose). We'll see.

Personally I think it's the right time for Cody to go and he can go out with his head held high after the year we've had and the performance we put in, in the final. It also gives his successor a great base to start from but also he doesn't have to follow an AI victory. From what I've heard around it seems Derek is the anointed one and while I don't have a problem with him or his team, I'm confident they will do a great job. I would think that being appointed after an interview process for a variety of candidates would put less pressure on Derek and his team if they have a bumpy bedding in period. Anyway that's just speculation.

I've been one of the loudest calling for Cody to go here for a long time and if I'm being honest I didn't expect the year we had. I'm glad Cody gave Gorta and Phelan their head and let them work on a game plan that he's not comfortable with and I think he deserves credit for that and getting us to the final, and massive credit for the performance even if we were tactically naive in certain aspects on the day.

I'll never forget all the great days in Croke park and around the country, the lead up to the games and the celebrations after they will always be some of the best memories of my life. I was one of Cody's biggest fans and I still am for what he did for Kilkenny. It was so special and I don't have the words to convey how special he is and what he has done for Kilkenny as a county and as a hurling community.

I got no joy in criticising him for the last 3-4 years of however long I've been at it. My issue was his unwillingness not his inability to adapt to the changes in hurling. I much prefer the game of the noughties to the game we have now, like him I would love if we could go out and play that way and still win AI's. In my eyes Cody is the main reason we have the game we've seen develop over the last 8-9 years. Teams had to find a way to beat Kilkenny as they couldn't go out and stand toe to toe with a Cody led Kilkenny team. So they developed tactics and started to throw the ball more. It's not Cody's fault in fact it's a compliment to him and the teams he trained, that they could only be beat by going to such lengths.

Anyway enough waffle, I wish Brian all the best in whatever comes next whether he moves upstairs in Kilkenny or goes back to the Village you know he'll still be at every game going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

Ah yes.... the jingoistic and vague "smarter hurling". When we win it`s cos we played smarter hurling and when we lose it`s cos we didn`t. Did you patent it yet? Maybe you should go back a bit further in time and take a look at where you`re smarter hurling got us in the first half in Salthill. Come to think of it, your pal Village87 should take a look and see how we lost the first half by 6 with TJ and won the second half by 5 without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

For what it’s worth lads county board delegates haven’t been notified of any meeting tonight.

There's nothing vague about the term smarter hurling for those that understand how the game has developed. For those that want to be stuck in the past, on ye go, but I for one want to see the players allowed to express themselves and to reach their potential without unnecessary shackles.

Time for you to wake from your slumbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Excellent post... Very well said. My feelings exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I don't think this is anything coming from Cody. It's a whisper campaign to shove him out. It's the kind of thing that will make him stay on, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭cosatron

or the board could get him in to have a chat about next year and what happen this year and give him the alan sugar treatment on the phone the next day.

But sure how can they suddenly grow the balls to do that when they let him do whatever he wants?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭cosatron

so you agree with the way your county board handled Conall Bonner. The KK board have more class than that.

I never mentioned Colm Bonnar. You did. You're just bringing up something else because you can't deal with the original topic. Fair enough.

It was common knowledge that Cody would be going this year. Boards posters wouldn't influence the man.

• Advertisement

Was it though? People said that last year too.

I'm not on about boards. Going by a few heads on here and on podcasts, they're saying the talk is rife at games in Kilkenny and around clubs.

Cody is a man who takes his time, isn't he? I'd be very surprised if he was suddenly making a decision right after the final. It's not his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

if he is going its probably his decision alright, he's pretty much voted himself back in each year. I'm not pushed either way, I dont want to be waiting till Sep/Oct to find out if he is going though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Yes he usually waits until October but if he's already decided best do it as soon as possible and give the new manger the full club season to look at players.

Personally I hope he stays another year and continue to build on the style of play since the Wexford game

I think if he goes it would have being decided probably at the start of the year by Brian. Now if he decided to tell anyone else on the KK board or his backroom team is a another matter. Maybe its the reason he had a fallout with Henry as he it was reported on here he asked him to come on board for this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Common knowledge? I can safely say I, nor any of the people I know who are heavily involved in our club, had a notion. And at the minute this all appears to be speculation off the back of a Facebook post on the Kilkenny Supporters Group page which was subsequently deleted doesnt it? Does anyone actually have a decent source or is this all wild speculation. Personally, I hope he decides to call it a day on a "relative" high.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

yeah think he is, dont recall him getting caught due to it though. was more that he was slow to wind up some of the shots he went for i think. maybe someone thats seen him play club might know different

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Not sure about Brian's position it may well be decided already 24 hrs will tell alot have been told there could be a big clear also on the cards.

Murphy

Wally

Fogarty

Buckley

Hogan

M carey (travelling)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Hard to see Murphy going, he's still the best in the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

I think he calls him Seamie the Nine Point Man

Advertisement