Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Mooncoin? Where have you been

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Mooncoin certainly and Piltown to a lesser extent generally have players on the underage county teams every year, senior level, maybe not so much. Who were the last players to play senior inter county from these clubs? Eddie Mackey and Liam McCarthy are the two that spring to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

When was the last time Mooncoin provided a starter for Kilkenny for a senior hurling championship match?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I heard conor browne might be going travelling anyone else hear this?James maher linked up with the kk panel in Thailand. I wouldn't be suprised to see himself and carey back next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Maher will want to have the helmet on walking back into Freshford I'd say. I can't imagine he's very popular over there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

The capitation grant that the county board gets should be determined by ability of clubs it field football (or hurling) teams. Rough shotting football in kk and clubs not playing ball by entering teams should see the half the gaa grant disappear. That will focus co board minds fairly quickly. Let that halfing of the grant trickle to club level (club coaching grant) to clubs that don't enter teams. Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 10,440 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

This bigoted opinion is probably the exact same kind of nonsense spouted by the dinosaurs that 'run' GAA affiliated games in Kilkenny.

And instead of displaying your ignorance , and embarressing yourself, maybe just ignore what you dont like reading about .....

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 He wont know that. Probably thinks Muckalee is near Kilmacow......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Shocks12

Agreed.

If Buckely, Alan Murphy, Richie Leahy, Forgarty (Maybe harsh here) are still knocking around and a few others I wouldn’t be confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Cheddar Plunkett managing muckalee next year

I certainly don't know the ins and outs of what happened but it was fairly well known James was going travelling. I think he played the relegation semi final and I heard he was asked to come back for the final but declined. James played most/all the matches when he was here I think. From what I heard it was another player that caused alot of trouble. Pity cause he's a good player and played u21 for kk.from the outside looking in I don't think it's James mahers fault Freshford are junior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

He didn't play the 1st round / semi final against Martins.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Sorry about the Mooncoin question, I picked it up wrong. I thought you were questioning there commitment there is serious work going on down there and also in Callan,Castlecomer,and Thomastown. A lot of the others will have to put in bigger efforts,I’m talking about clubs with centers of population. Someone recent Commented on the Boro with huge numbers to pick from.the Boro put in a serious effort over the last twenty years,it doesn’t happen by chance.

I wasn't sure if he did or not but from the outside looking in it was well known he was going travelling. Maybe he could of postponed it a few weeks when they were in trouble but it would be unfair to put blame on him .Alot of things weren't right this year and players missing,management changing but they have some good hurlers they should come back up fairly quickly

Isn't James meagher someway involved with the mooncoin?they're doing a lot right underage and are probably favourites for this year's u21. Callan is another who are definitely on the right track if they can keep young lads hurling. Lisdowney and young irelands also doing good work.

Dicksboro seemed to have the underage cracked and are gobbling up alot underage. I know they've good numbers but credit must go to the coaches. What must be very dissapointing is they have failed to translate this to senior. I know the shamrocks have just won 5 in a row and have being very dominant but it's dissapointing with all the underage success ciallian buckley Is the only one to make an impact for kk. Hopefully Clifford,moylan,shine and these will make the breakthrough over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The last game James Maher played for Freshford was v the Fenians, from what i hear when he comes back in March he is starting a new job in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

The 2 James Mahers dont get along with the hurling fraternity in Freshford by all accounts

It would not take to much not to get along in that club, they had a lad that used to fund them when he was rung one sunday morning by Committe member threatened him he is gone to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Will maher transfer to a limerick club?

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭blackcard

Does the club season ticket get you into the Danesfort and Ballyhale matches?

I did hear he was moving to Limerick it would be a nice commute to Freshford.i was hoping he would of broken into the kk team by now. I know injury set him back but a good hurler on his day.

3 club teams out the weekend. Skeough make the trip to mulligar not really know whats facing them.i was Impressed with him in the junior final. When windgap got it back level they drove on again. If they can get the same performance tomor they should have enough.

Danesfort will be down two players from the county final when they face the meath senior champions. Darren booth suffered a serious leg injury cruciate and bone break and jack Bruton who scored 6 points from play in a man of the match performance is gone abroad to teach. Trim have around 7 players on the meath panel and this is a senior club so danesfort won't want to take anything for granted. Nass beat Glenmore last year and I remember carrickshock were steeped a few years ago against the meath champions away.

Shamrocks look to be on a mission this year after the heartbreaking defeat last year.joey and Colin look to be staying around. Alot of the players were away with the county on holidays last week. They won't take anything for granted and would have knuckled down this week.it would be a big suprise if Castletown geoughan get a result here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

U21 A semis tomorrow and B final.

Thomastown v Dunamaggin a hard one to call, home advantage and I think I read here that Harry Walsh absent for Dunamaggin should swing it for Thomastown. Dunamaggin never easy bet though and had an excellent win over the Boro last time out.

Mooncoin v O'loughlins also hard to call. Again home advantage worth a few points. Expect a big crowd here. Mooncoin had plenty of goals v Comer but Oloughlins have decent forwards, I'd go for Mooncoin on home advantage.

U21 B final also a hard one to call. Lisdowney had a 2 week break while Ballycallan played the last 2 weeks, which scenario would ya prefer. Could be a bit of bite here as Ballycallan relegated Lisdowney, there's a few crossover over Senior players on both sides. Both doing well underage, Ballycallan have U19B final next week aswell. Might come down to who has the higher percentage of success from frees.

Good luck to our 3 club county champions in action in Lenister over the weekend

Congratulations to trim the better team on the day. Danesfort failed to reach anything like the performance of the county final.they had two wides at the end to level it but drove them wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭conor05

To be fair Danesfort were not let reach the level of performance of the county final, the Meath intercounty footballer James Togher who was centre back was head and shoulders above any player on the pitch today he absolutely lorded it.

You could see the lads Meath had who were playing in the Joe McDonagh cup they were very physically built and tough in the tackle, Danesfort were hocked and blocked quite a bit.

Trim had pace all over the field and Danesfort were second best to most balls.

Great year for Danesfort to get back up Senior and intermediate Leinster is not easy to win as Glenmore found out last year v Naas.

Naas had a big win in the Leinster senior today v Shinrone of Offaly, the standard of club hurling is going up the levels in these Joe McDonagh counties big time.

Post edited by conor05 on

They have to be very disappointed with that result to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jonniegoogle

I think the Naas result last year was the 1st time in 10 or 11 the kilkenny champions haven't won leinster!!

Are our club teams fading a bit at intermediate level?

Dare I say if we took the Shamrocks out of it, would any of the rest be as dominant at senior either?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

No I think your right. Shamrocks apart any other senior co champs from kk would struggle to win a senior provincial title.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

A lot of other counties would say the same if the best club team doesn't win the County final, when likes of Cuala, Ballygunner, Na Piarsaigh/Kilmallock are bet not much would be expected.

Look at the Wexford, Cork and Tipp champions bar Borris Illeigh over the last number of years they've all had major dissapointing results from their respective county champions.

I think the standard of club hurling has come on huge in the last 10 or 15 years. The effort and preparation that goes into it now.

While it's probably fair enough to say bar the shamrocks a kk club would struggle to make headway at senior the same can be said in other counties.There's a few elite clubs in the country. Ballygunnner,shamrocks,St Thomas and slaughtneill. You can probably throw na piarsiagh in with the 2 caseys now back. But these clubs are a good bit ahead of their challengers in their county

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭conor05

Cork would be strong at junior and intermediate all Ireland hurling level but have made no impact at senior club level, have barely won a provincial game.

Wexford and Tipperary, I can’t remember the last time either of them have won anything at all Ireland club hurling level at any grade.

You only have to look at the All Ireland intermediate club final last year Naas of Kildare v Kilmoyley of Kerry, the landscape is definitely changing at that grade.

Oulart the Ballagh getting knocked out today by an average Dublin intermediate club shows how much they have fallen back. 6 year ago they played Na Piarsaigh in an All Ireland senior club semi-final.

Though I think Roscrea from Tipp could win the All Ireland intermediate club this year, super team.

• Advertisement

Ballyhale are a joy to watch the way they always use the man In the better position and if there's a half chance of a goal they'll go for it. Still no brian cody who was in a boot a few weeks ago and tj and paddy mullen didnt play today.They're blooding lads like killian corcoran and niall shortall. Colin is still a great target man and always wins frees. He still has something to offer in a kk Jersey I think.

They'll come up against Tom mullallys naas side next . Tom is a shrewd operator and a good coach. He'll have a plan In place and naas won the intermediate last year in croke park but shamrocks are a great team.

Thomastown needed extra time to beat a gallant Dunnamaggin side minus Denis walsh.Dunnamaggin came from behind to level it in normal time.Ttown outscored Dunnamaggin 7-1 i think in extra time.It got very dark early this evening it must of being difficult in thomastown they probably should of started the match earlier in the event of a draw. Mooncoin beat o loughlins in the other semi. Ballycallan beat lisdowney by a point in the b final and conahy will face graignamanagh in the d after they beat ballyragget.

Advertisement