Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Saw online a site with old gaa programmes, one was for a national football league game in the 1980's between Kilkenny/Clare

Club listed for a few Kilkenny players as Ye Faire Citie

Anyone know anything about who this club was, location or anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Ye faire citie was a city based club who operated in the junior hurling championship in the 1970’s players included Bosco Buckley, Gerry Buckley , Benny Corcoran, the Nolan’s from Muckalee to name but a few. I think they were beaten by Johnstown who were about to make a breakthrough at senior and win three in a row in the 70’s.the players from Ye Faire Citie were from all clubs in the city and Chunky o’ brien even played for them. O’Loughlins formed in the early 70’s and cities slowly died away. Bill Wilkinson was there last manager..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

That was some name for a club.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Has it happened before that no Kilkenny club are in the Leinster Junior or Intermediate finals? I cant remember the last time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

I've seen Kilkenny City referenced as that before. I'm not sure exactly if it's the city's motto but it's a reference from some poem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I don't remember it anyway it must of being a long time and both clubs can have no complaints beaten by better teams on the day.

The shamrocks were slow to get going against a well organised naas team. I wasn't suprised that a Tom mullally side had their homework done and physically they matched them for 40 odd minutes but as the shamrocks do they can finish a match In a few minutes and they got 2 quick goals to finish it as a contest. Dean Mason made a couple of point blank saves and the shamrocks will be worried how naas ran through them and they looked to have targeted Darren mullen and dowling who was on him caused him plenty of trouble in the first half Naas must of being gutted to go down a point down at half time despite doing all the hurling in the first half.they probably should of being 6 or 7 points behinds . They put so much into the first half they looked gased near the end but naas will benefit from this yesterday.They had a few great goal chances but the wides and balls that dropped short took the wind from their sails.Darragh corcoran popped up with a few points from wing back and is definitely in the frame for a starting position for the county next year. His brother ronan also hurled well when alot of lads weren't hurling well. As others have said it would be great from a kk perspective if he gave the county a go,Another lad who was excellent when alot of his team mates were tied up was adrian mullen. He has really taken his game to another level. At times he was back playing center back. He covers some ground and is turning into a leader on that shamrocks team.

The shamrocks will be happy enough to come through that match yesterday and crokes will bring a different challenge it will be plenty of pace. Alot of people are talking about the potential semi final between ballygunner and the shamrocks so the first half yesterday will refocus their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

Why do so many people think Ronan and Darragh Corcoran are brothers? Here, the papers, the radio. It's everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Powerhouse1

Darragh and Killian are brothers. Both first cousin to Ronan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Browne will be a loss. Not the best hurler in the world but very physical. Hard to see him playing intercounty after leaving.

Kilkenny have close to 10 lads in there 30s on the squad.

Cillian Buckley, Padraig Walsh, Walter Walsh, TJ Reid, Richie Hogan, Conor Fogarty, Eoin Murphy, Richie Reid maybe one or two more. Really need a few of these to go, obviously not TJ and Eoin Murphy but Kilkenny have not won an All Ireland since 2015 and really need to develop new players. Big year for likes of Richie Leahy and Paddy Deegan who have been very poor the last few years when we needed them to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Possibly I am being harsh on Kenny and Browne but there's no denying the facts they were beat decisively by Mullen and Corcoran for 22 minutes when the Village had an extra man. If we get a bump we should win the All Ireland yes, will we get one God knows. I just outlined reasons why we might get a bump. Cody was amazing and we'll never see his likes again but there's no doubt he struggled for the last 6 years more than he ever did before not all down to him but he had problems he couldn't solve.

I don't know if Derek and his team can solve the puckouts and I'm not advocating for all long or short puckouts. To be honest a puckout to your own 65 is often a better option than straight to the forward or to a corner back.

An effective puckout is as much about the movement of the outfield players as it is about the goalkeepers ability to pick the right option. If the outfield players aren't creating options with movement then the keeper has a thankless task.

Watch the Limerick puckouts. Often players are drawing their marker away from an area to create space for another Limerick player to be running into and he is usually ahead of his man to that ball, leading to safe possession and usually with few markers around to swarm him. Kilkenny rarely if ever tried this type of puckout under Cody just short or long and usually to static targets.

The Limerick puckout takes a huge amount of practice by the way and understanding from the players about what is trying to be achieved. Derek definitely didn't seem to be working a system like that last year but then again very few if any have been able too other than Limerick. Can we get to that level of coaching under Derek Lyng and do it our own way I don't know but if we can we will be a better team in 2023.

Ground hurling is a definite option but it has to be effective, the thing that's probably against it is twofold.

1. lots of not most players now play with hurls which would traditional be considered too short hard to hit the ball on the ground right with that type of hurl.

2. The skill is lost or dying and most don't have the ability to get it to where it should go.

So when you look at current ground strokes from a stats perspective the majority end up in the opposition hands and this is a no no to a modern manager where the came has become all about possessions etc.

I think it could be effective but it would require a big rethink and dedication by a team to make it effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Ground hurling is dead as the proverbial dodo and is never coming back, no matter how much lads pine for it. It's as dead as overhead first time striking, goalies wearing flat caps, and the Bishop throwing in the ball in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Browne will be a loss so will Michael Carey. Richie leahy had a good club year but apparently he’s gone travelling too. Thought we’d have a retirement or two by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

Didn't Fan Larkin play with them for a brief spell as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Ground hurling .. haha. Shur the modern defensive mantra is take it to the ground, swarm in with numbers then clear. Shur wot hope has the forward if the ball is coming in on the ground! Nuts to a monkey ger

Slaughtneil gave Ballyhale and Ballygunner plenty of it in the 2 most recent All Ireland semi finals while its no guarantee they'll beat Dunloy, extremely disrespectful of both teams.

Browne is only 26 so to say he'll never play intercounty again if he's taking a year out is a bit premature.

Seems to be a good few men and women players going travelling at the moment, definitely a knock from Covid and the travel restrictions. On the top of my head Wexford are without Paudie Foley, Dublin Crummy and Cian O'Callaghan, Waterford Kiernan and Shane Bennett, Tipperary Brian Hogan all to travelling, alot of the people heading off seem to be teachers on career breaks.

• Advertisement

Alot of clubs are losing players so it's not a huge suprise players are going travelling. It's hard to blame any young lad who wants to see the other side of the world.Best of luck to conor and safe travels.iRichie leahy had a good season with the rower but we've being waiting for a few years for him to break into the team maybe a year out could refresh lads. I'm suprised myself there hasn't being a few retirements but Richie Hogan is going again next year.Alot of this years u20 panel are called in and from talking to a lad that's in its a huge step up from last year.Training with the seniors will hopefully bring these lads on.Derek knows these players and will have a decision to make around championship time wit the lads that are eligible next year.i don't think there's anyone ready to make the breakthrough.

Alot of ballyhale lads have being invited in. Lads like ronan corcoran and Evan shefflin definitely have something to offer at county level.

Alot of teams mightnt bother with the league when they see the way Waterford blew up and Limerick timed their run.One of Derek's biggest challenge will be trying to find a settled midfield pairing. Corcoran and blanchfield are in pole position for the 2 half back position. He'll have to explore center back and a few fowards like Shane Walsh can definitely force his way onto the team.

Darragh Joyce is coming home for the Christmas. I've heard he got offers in the afl but he had conversations with Derek and done fitness tests before he left.Its probably the last chance he'll get and even at that it will be very hard to get up to speed after missing so much but best of luck to him whatever he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

Wonder if there were many lads outside of the under 20 panel and who weren't on the senior panel last year called up?? Lyng was over the 20s for 2 years before last year so I'd imagine he would have had a good few in mind watching on from the club campaign. A lad like Des Dunne is an excellent man marker as he really proved for Danesfort this year.

Another lad I've always been impressed with is Jack Morrissey of ballyragget, even though he is in a team that has struggled over the past few years he has always stood up, massive jump from Junior to Senior Intercounty I know but I think he's definitely worth a look if he's not already in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Usually the case in Kilkenny when you walk away once you don't get a 2nd invite back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

That's been the way for most of Cody's time which is a long time to be fair but the reality is there's unlikely to be any manager in charge of the senior team for more than 3 years in the near future. Personally I think the County board should bring in a term limit of 5 years on any manager going forward. It should always be freshened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Nonsense shur Kiely is there 6 now isn't he. I understand the need to keep things fresh but there's no way Kilkenny would have won what they have won without Cody.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

During Cody's time maybe but next year will be 1st time since 1998 he won't be on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Obviously DJ is the big one as he walked away and came back.

But even in recent years didn't James Maher take a year out and came back in. Plenty other lads were let go and called back even over the last few years..

I think theres over 60 called in.Des dunne and daire o neill are both called in. Derek was involved for a few years at u20 so I'd say he has thrown the net over some of these.Alot of lads wont make it and while this is the first time in a long time we've lost a few lads travelling alot of lads still have the ambition to play county añd hopefully the new management will bring freshness. James maher and mikey carey could be back next spring we don't really know the ins and outs.

it's encouraging to hear the shamrocks have a large contingent and potentially ronan corcoran who has being consistently the best Club midfielder for a few years. Martin o neill is a good hurler and Mooncoin should have a few lads called in.Although relegated lisdowney had a few players who hurled well. I don't know if they went in but potentially Sean Ryan and owen wall have something to offer.Conor heary and James bergin should be pushing to get into match squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I had heard off a few Limerick lads, Tom Morrisey was going away too, but I'd say he was likely "persuaded" to stay.

There was a lot of chat this week about the 2 Galway senior teams costing 2 million to run last year.

Even if Galway spent close to 1 million on their senior hurling team, I would say it would be absolutely dwarfed by Limerick's spending.

If a huge part of achieving success at IC level will be dependent on having maybe 2 million to spend per annum on your senior team, Kilkenny will be in big trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Never heard of Fan lining out with Ye Faire City, he did play for Eire Og in the early 60's. In fact I think he's the last Eire Og player to win an AI. He might also have had a short stint with Foulkstown (open to correction).

His father Paddy won senior county medals with three clubs, the Village, Eire Og and Tullaroan

Advertisement