Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Yeah I don't think Kieran was to impressed with the recommendations brought forward from Mick Dempsey's committee also, I know at one of the last county board meetings last year he went through a lot of the recommendations brought forward and he felt that he had already began to implement these within the squad systems himself. I think there always was the suggestion that the top table had wanted Pat Tynan as coaching officer and weren't too impressed when Kieran won the vote against him.

On the coaching officer role though I was still under the impression that this was an elected position. I know they took nominations from it from clubs and Pado Flynn was the only one nominated by the clubs and he was ratified to the position on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

Ciaran I think stepped down week before County convention and there was no other nominee at the time so they went back out to club for nominations and Pado must have been the only nomination.

You're right though, Ciaran was never wanted by the top table and blockers were always put in his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny top table would make you laugh. They act like the mafia and will burn anyone that is trying to progress hurling in Kilkenny which is at a poor ebb at the moment, only for the Shamrocks club and county players keeping us in contention

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Yeah that could very well be the case in fairness, and in fairness to Pado I do think he will do a good job in the role.

I have to say though, given the amount of dissatisfaction with the county board the last few years I was shocked that no one ran against the current incumbents at the convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

What exactly does a coaching officer do? Are they basically head of the development squads? Do they appoint the development squad coaches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

I did a bit of enquiring and you're right. The coaching officer is still elected. However, the new structure has completely diluted the role of Coaching officer. They now have a Head Of Coaching and Games which is selected by the Mick Dempsey committee and then you will have the Performance Manager who is picked after interviews and then the Coaching Officer. The new committee have put Conor Denieffe's brother in the first position. He was on the new committee that recommended him for the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ah ffs. Are we in the business of winning All Irelands or helping out the lads? Time for an overhaul at the top table if they're going down that kind of road. Our players deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Our U20 team won the All Ireland. Our senior team came within 3 points of winning the All Ireland. Our senior club champions are in the All Ireland final but hurling in Kilkenny is at a low ebb?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Ciaran muldowney is a good lad and had some good ideas and it's dissapointing to hear he's now gone. Paddo had a great year this year and comes across as a really sound fella,hopefully it will work out for him but this is where they could of went after a bigger name but as soon as money is mentioned the easiest candidate is selected.

There's no doubt the county board is full of the same yes men and faces that are just moved around every couple of years. It's completely stale. We desperately need people involved with fresh ideas and creativity. It's fairly well known Derek Lyng had to beg for his u20 players last year to get access to the proper s&c.For example We should be getting much more from our sponsors. We're years behind other counties in this department.Money doesn't guarantee success but it certainly helps.Our county board will always take the cheapest option.

Newly elects like pj kenny wouldn't give me much incentive. It's basically full of yes men stuck in the past that desperately needs a clear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

The one "permanent" role on the County Board is treasurer. It is my opinion that it's the very role that should be refreshed regularly as it would possibly bring new ideas with regards to fund raising and spend. In addition a change would be helpful for governance purposes.

It's not healthy to have the treasurer call the shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

You see it in a lot of sporting orgs where a Treasurer gets power hungry. It's weird. You even see it in Golf Clubs the whole time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Minors bet in the first round of leinster last year. The u20 competition was a bit flawed if Galway had there 2/3 best players Kilkenny would not have won the first round. Kilkenny club teams in Junior and Intermediate did not get out of Leinster, I did say with the exception of Shamrocks. Shamrocks probably have 10 lads on the Kilkenny senior panel. Take away TJ and Adrian Mullen from last years All Ireland senior final we would have been bet by double figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I see Tipperary are 14-1 to win the All Ireland hurling this year. I've just lumped on at that price. A pure insult to have one of the greatest counties that ever played the game priced at 14-1 ! I hop Cahill has that pinned to the dressing room door!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Irrelevant but I do like "one of the greatest of counties that ever played the game". There's only about 10 counties that take it seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

The weakest of the five Munster counties, at present. Bookies were being generous.

What has it got to do with you what thread it's on !

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

If's, buts, maybe's....Talk about Glass half empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Where in Ireland is hurling in a better state than Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Kilkenny is still top of the pile in hurling. It's the only major field game there. Strong from club to senior. Probably not top of the pile in Coaching or S&C or Tactics though. That would be Limerick. And I like to.emphasise the point that hurling is a minority game in vast swathes of Limerick. The city have a handful of suburban clubs. Rugby and soccer are the main games there and that won't change. Hurling has got a great bounce but Gearoid Hegarty is the only hurler from an area of about 30,000 people. West Limerick has little hurling but it's growing. Kilkenny being in Leinster is a huge advantage also. There's an All Ireland around the corner for Kilkenny but it would be hard to see it this year.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Have three tickets for club final tomorrow from my season tickets if anyone wants them. DM me you email and will send on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

It’s a Kilkenny thread for discussion about kk hurling. No one here gives a flying fck about what price tipp are or whether Cahill has it pinned to the door of the dressing room, that’s for the Tipperary thread I would have thought. I don’t go onto the soccer thread talking about rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

You must have been devastated when the U20s won the All Irekamd were you?

few changes for tomor but if last week is to go by there will be changes to the team and subs. Peter McDonald has a fracture and heary is out for a few weeks with hamstring.Niggles and doses are keeping a few others out at the moment. It's unfortunate for anyone to get injured anytime but especially this time when lads like heary and McDonald are trying to put their hand up before lads start coming back during the league.

It's hard to take much from the second week of January while most teams are in heavy training.laois should have alot more of their regulars and willie maher will want to back up last weeks good win over wexford. Kk started very well last week but alot of lads tired which is expected if in heavy training,this resulted in being lazy in the tackle and giving away alot of frees. He has made 6 changes from the starting team last week with one eye on the league in a few weeks he's getting game time into a few more lads before he cuts the panel

If he can get a few players from this Walsh cup that can boost the squad he will be very happy. Good to see Billy drennan starting again and hitting the frees.Derek has plenty of faith in last years 20s with alot of them involved in this pre season. This exposure will hopefully benefit alot of them going back in with the u20s. I liked the look of Clifford last week he has pace and is direct but we'll need to have patience with these chaps and remember they're only 19.Its very hard make the breakthrough straight away.The prize for winning these next two matches is a sat night in croke park against galway.

Post edited by brookville on

Gearóid Dunne with 1-2 off the bench at 18. Special kid.

Laois started well but after 20 minutes kk got to grips with them and played some good hurling. Laois got tired in the secound half.Billy drennan continued where he left off last week and got two goals and a couple of points. Huw didn't play and padraig went into full back with Buckley and wally also starting and they all hurled well. Niall brennan who was also good last week had another good game and Paul cody in his first match also done well. He got game time into lots of players which is important. Cian kenny got a few nice scores as did john donnelly.It looks like management are going to use padraig in the backs.2-21 conceded isn't great but its a tight pitch and alot of subs were introduced.

Kk should be through to the Walsh Cup final because of the winning margin today unless wexford give us a hammering next week which Is unlikely.Wexford will have a stronger team with over ten thousand tickets sold they will want to try get a win in front of a large home crowd so this will be a much better tests for a lot of the newer lads and a good match to get before the league.I was impressed with gearoid dunne last year for tullaron and he was very good today when he came on. The whole purpose of this competition is to try find a few players and niall brennan and Billy drennan have had two good games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

If 2 teams finish level on points it goes on head to head so a Wexford win and Offaly win over Laois or draw in that game and Wexford will top the group. If Laois and Wexford win Wexford, Kilkenny and Laois will all have 4 points so scoring difference would be the tie breaker. Kilkenny win or draw and there through.

Well if your knowledge of soccer or rugby is the same as your knowledge of hurling your probably best to stay away from those threads alright!

Adrian mullen looking like a big doubt for Sunday with a hamstring injury. He's being excellent and would be a huge loss obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭conor05

12000 tickets now sold for the Wexford match.

One thing I’ll say about Wexford, their hurlers get unbelievable support.

Advertisement