Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Yeah heard this too, I just hope they don't chance him if he's not right. It's a recipe for disaster on a cold day in Jan going out and playing on a dodgy hamstring, could end up doing way more damage than he currently has. Could end his season and if he tore the hamstring off the bone could curtail his hurling career altogether.

It's a huge risk to take, I know they want to win the AI and I'm sure Mullen will play if allowed it'll probably be hard to stop him but that's what good medical staff and management have to do make hard calls and protect their amateur players.

I've heard even if he does play he's not expected to last the game. A big call to me made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

The new floodlights are part of the draw for this game, and the Wexford supporters club and finance development committee (or whatever it's called) have been outstanding the last few years in their innovations of getting supporters out.

We could do with something similar it has to be said.

As an aside, surely it's beyond time now for floodlights in Nowlan Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

A couple of decent outings for us so far in the Walsh Cup and lots of players tried which is probably the most important thing. It's very early in the year to be trying to look for new styles of play and I know getting fitness and match sharpness is the main thing but I do think we have looked like we are trying to pick out passes better and even the puck outs have looked better. Given the time of year it's probably not the best to read too much into team selections but the placing of Buckley a centre back has been surprising given you'd imagine come the championship he won't be the answer to that problem but then again maybe it just goes to show the lack of options we have in that position. In fairness to the new management they do seem to be giving players a chance and I don't think you could say that anyone has done there chances any harm. Of the new players that have come in, Billy Drennan has lived up to his reputation and started the season really promisingly. Niall Brennan has also impressed and seems to have a good habit of hitting 2/3 points per game. The game at Wexford park on Saturday night will be a good test for them in front of a big crowd, hopefully the like of Shane Walsh and Matt Kenny will get a run at the weekend. It's also been good to see a lot of the U-20's used, and even if the likes of Niall Rowe, Timmy Clifford, Billy Drennan, Ian Byrne and Gearoid Dunne don't get on the championship the experience of being with the seniors will stand to them for the U-20 championship. I think if we can settle down with the right midfield and centre back that we have a good full back line and a good forward line to do well. With the Shamrocks being finished in club championship early this year we'll be able to try out a few of them in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I’m delighted with the progress so far this year and one more competitive game regardless of a win would be good enough. I think Wexford have backed themselves into a corner where they are forced to field a strong team to satisfy the massive crowd they invited to this carnival,they really don’t want any Kilkenny people there at all in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

That's it, plan was initially just to have the seating sections open but 7 thousand tickets were bought by xmas, presume alot sold as xmas presents, this game was the very same Saturday last year and drew 3 or 4 thousand which is still a healthy crowd for the Walsh Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I'm suprised Buckley,wally and padraig have being used this early especially when questions marks were hanging over their inter County future and they have so much hurling done but its easier for lads like des dunne or niall brennan to settle in with these lads beside them. I know Shane Walsh has a ankle injury. There's a lot of players who haven't seen any game time yet with niggles and doses going around. Lads like Tommy,mossy,delaney and Billy and fringe lads James bergin,matt kenny,brassil along with a few injuries like Peter McDonald,heary and Shane Walsh so it's good they're getting games into plenty of other lads. Hopefully Clifford and dunne get a run Saturday night.

Plenty of mistake this time of the year as expected,two soft goals conceded the other day but with little hurling done these things will happen but the offally match brought them on and at times played good smart hurling. With the ballyhale lads unavailable for the next few weeks I'd like to see something different tried at 6 and midfield. Blanchfields best position is 7 but maybe delaney might get a run at 6.Finding a consistent midfield pair won't be as easy.derek will also want to try win this match and get another game before the league. It should be a good occasion.

Would the local residents allow floodlights? Fair play to wexford they're going to go after concerts and things like that In the future.

I'd have no faith in the dinosaurs we have at the top table. We haven't even got a proper place to go and train in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Many counties have stadiums floodlight since 2000. Pairc Ui Ring and PUC in Cork. Tralee..Gaelic Grounds, Thurles. The likes of the Gaelic Grounds is smack bang in the middle of a neighbourhood. Lights are advanced now and can focus on an area. The whole area outside the stadium isn't lit up..

Personally I think Wally and Padraig were played early this season for one reason. That reason being to see if they really did have something to offer for the year ahead.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Are you for real. Have you actually played the game yourself ? The chap is playing in an All Ireland senior hurling club final his club, possibly for the last time. the effort and level of hurling to get there is phenomenal. No injury or science will stop a player playing the biggest game in the hurling calendar. Even if there is a 5% chance he can play he will play. A big call me b****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Hurling should be played in daylight not under lights, unless it's in Croke Park where you have the best flood light system. That system cannot be replicated in any other stadium. Dunmore is very adequate for winter training when there is no serious hurling being done, just training. Flood lights are mainly to satisfy the television viewing public, not the supporters who would prefer travelling to and watching matches in daylight, especially in winter.

Derek Lyng is correct to use the likes of Buckley, Wally and P Walsh from the off. Unless R Hogan and C Fogarty are carrying knocks, they should be used too. Otherwise how can young lads be dropped ahead of them after putting in the hard slog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The best floodlights in the country are actually in Pairc Ui Chaoimh not Croke Park. Thurles, Limerick all have excellent floodlights perfectly suitable for hurling. I know some people and players prefer daylight but many don't. And some clubs have floodlights that aeent good enough or high enough for hurling .There have been some great matches under lights. The replayed All Ireland between Cork and Clare in 2013. The Cork v Limerick game in PUC in 2019. Loads. Its the way forward.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

To quote - some people and players prefer daylight but many don't! From my experience the "some" should be swapped with the "many".

Croke Park lights are top class as they have the height and structures surrounding the stadium to accommodate the best.

Having games under lights in winter means the supporters have to travel to and from in darkness and the likelihood of poor driving conditions. Football is grand under lights, hurling isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Do football supporters beam themselves into the stadium or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

You said "Having games under lights in winter means the supporters have to travel to and from in darkness and the likelihood of poor driving conditions. Football is grand under lights, hurling isn't."

Suggesting that football supporters don't have to travel to and from in darkness and the likelihood of poor driving conditions!

I never mentioned football supporters in fairness. I said FOOTBALL is grand under lights but hurling isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I'm sure Adrian will be bursting to play but what I was saying was that the decision shouldn't be in his hands. We go on about how professional the GAA setups are. Well if they truly were and the players were getting top class coaches and medical advice then you wouldn't be risking the career of one of your best players particularly when he has so much of his career ahead of him. He probably will play and I'll be crossing everything I have for him to get through it without doing more damage. I hope he's fully fit and has a great game but if he's not right he shouldn't play in my opinion.

Makes perfect sense. If he broke down during the match a particular poster would ridicule management for starting an injured player.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

Yeah if it is a hamstring like we've heard, he would find it hard to get right and if it is not in any way right I'm sure won't be, does Brian Cody have any chance of featuring for Shamrocks I wonder??

Regarding a few of the older lads with KK and getting game time in the early rounds of the Walsh Cup....Padraig Walsh wasn't his usual lively self during most of the championship last year when he would have been off the team at stages and also taken off 1st in a few games and I'm sure will be determined to be on starting 15 this year and prove a point..Buckley and Wally then didn't actually do a massive amount of hurling with their clubs last year as Wally was carrying a minor injury post the All Ireland Final and only came back for later parts of league championship and his club were knocked out in 1st round, Buckley then missed Dicksboro's championship games and both would have been finished in 1st weekend of October so I imagine those 3 are mad for Hurling and to hit the ground running.

I was told Darren and Adrian won't be available Sunday and brian cody is still recovering from injury. He's due to go travelling soon anyway. Joey cuddihy should be available. Dunloy will be no push over and if theyre left in the game the crowd will try help them on.shamrocks will want to go for the jugular early and keep them at arms lenght. Unbelievable to think if not for covid and a wonder strike from ruddle they could be going for 5 in a row. Dunloy very passionate about their hurling and have a great set up but even minus a few players and the squad dept not as strong they should have enough If they play to their potential.brian butler and Joe cuddihy should slip into the vacant positions and have experienced this occasion before.it would be one of the biggest surprises in recent memory if they get bet but sport is sport. Shamrocks fell away against naas and crokes. Pushed to the pin of their collar last year by offally and cw opposition but in all these matches they still won. Hopefully its a good game anyway and best of luck to them.

• Advertisement

plenty of changes and that's what this is all about.billy drennan went off injured last night for maynooth.There will probably be a few changes. Maybe brassill or donnelly would take free but Shane Walsh could start and it's great to see him after injury. Alot of people hoping he can get plenty of game time. Hopefully Tallis starts he's a confident keeper and this is great exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 teamddr

Hi Guys, Dunloy man here, does anyone have any tickets they are not using for Sunday.

As expected Darren and Adrian not named to start. Although adrian would do everything to play and if it was a broken bone it might be strapped up but hamstring is different. Eoghan o donnell a few years ago tried to play and was replaced after a few minutes. You might think you're OK but it's hard to disguise these injuries. Joey cuddihy listed to start. Darren has being absolutely hammered with injuries and hamstrings particularly. A very intelligent hurler and good on the ball but at the moment it's unlikely we'll see the best of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Have two terrace tickets for the game if anyone wants them.

Wexford deserved the win. Damien Reck is an outstanding hurler and Charlie McGuckin gave Blanchfield a tough night. Not many of the younger players stood out for Kilkenny. Tom Phelan, Padraig Walsh and John Donnally and Cian Kenny in the first half especially all did well

Enjoyable evening.Wexford deserved the win and had a much stronger team granted they emptied the bench. Reck was outstanding as was conor mac. We got a lucky secound goal but cody had a good second half and as mentioned kenny was excellent in the 1st half and phelan all done well. Cillian doyle done well for the few minutes very happy to get game time into plenty of lads and fair play to management a load of players have got minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I’m surprised to hear you say Kilkenny didn’t deserve a win. I thought our lads fought extremely hard and deserved at least a draw. The ref should have given Paraic Walsh a free in the last two minutes of play but let play continue and awarded a free to Wexford instead which led to the goal. We missed at least three points and a goal in the last five minutes. Happy enough even though they are unlikely to make the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭conor05

D Reck has brought his game to another level completely in the last 18 months, unreal hurler.

I thought Cian Kenny really brought the fight to Wexford tonight.

Leinster is going to be very tight again this year, Wexford have a lot of good young hurlers who would die for the jersey, Galway will be good under Shefflin and will want to win some silverware but I think with the Ballyhale lads back Lyng will have this Kilkenny team finely tuned for the summer.

Good learning experience for the younger panel members tonight to play in front of that big Wexford crowd.

• Advertisement

Wexford equally as good as Kilkenny underage last 4/5 years. Kilkenny bet Wexford by 1 point in the u20 Leinster final last year, if Oisin Pepper was allowed play instead of sitting it out due to the ridiculous rule it could have easily been a Wexford win.

Advertisement