Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭blackcard

Interesting to see the expenditure on county teams in 2022. Kilkenny, despite contesting 3 All Ireland's and winning two including the Junior Football AI, ranked 25th in the level of expenditure. Behind Leitrim, Cavan,Sligo, Antrim amongst others. Money doesn't buy success but Limerick had the most expenditure of any county, Kerry had the third highest. Limerick had almost 3 times our expenditure. Is there a JP McManus out there who can bankroll Kilkenny and equal the playing field?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Wexford could òf had a penalty if I remember correctly earlier and missed a good few chances especially in the first half.wexford had a much more settled stronger team out ànd should be beating that kk team tonight but I'd be happy enough with the effort.great for young lads like doyle,Tallis,dunne etc. I thought conor mac was the difference tonight.

Not the end of the world,definitely a worth while exercise. What way does it work now? If laois win we go through and if offally win wex play galway is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

A draw or Offaly win, Wexford go through, Laois win and Kilkenny are through unless Laois win by 25 points or more which would put Laois through. As their playing in rpund 1 of the league Galway and Wexford could meet 2 weekends in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭conor05

I fancy Laois to beat Offaly today so I think it will be a Kilkenny v Galway Walsh cup final.

I’d imagine Wexford would be happy to not play Galway two weekends in a row.

Also Lyng v Shefflin for a bit or early season silverware would be interesting, but let’s see how Laois get on today first.

I also thought Cillian Buckley looked a lot sharper when he came on last night, could be a good impact sub.

As an aside, Wexford v Kilkenny must be one of the healthiest rivalries around, always a fantastic atmosphere and the Wexford crowd are great people, no nastiness to them whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I'd agree with most of this, bearing in mind that Wexford had their missed opportunities too. Apart from the last minute smash and grab by Wexford, there was never much between the sides and a draw was very much on the cards. Our experimental team played a lovely brand of hurling and never deviated to much from it despite making 9 substitutions. That's a healthy outlook especially against a much more experienced opposition. Apart from D Blanchfield, who looked a bit lethargic, every Kilkenny player dug deep, bringing the fight to Wexford in front of huge home support. Remember Wexford needed to win that match by around 8 points to be sure of a final appearance but Kilkenny denied them that margin.

P Walsh and C Buckley have showing great leadership in the Walsh Cup which the new lads are following.

Very happy with our new Management efforts to date. 9 substitutions last week and this week which is to be commended as the opportunity to experiment was taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

🙈🤣🤣 Oh Village87...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Sorry therealdonster, did I say something to disapprove of your delusional theory that Kilkenny were the best team in the country u20 last year. Wexford were equally as good as Kilkenny last year in the Leinster final, they missed some great chances to win the match in normal time. Wexford had to play without Oisin Pepper who was unable to play as he lined out for Wexford in the Liam Mccarthy competition, the losing margin was one point . Result could have easily been different if Pepper lined out

Post edited by Village87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

You cannot compare Kilkenny with anyone when it comes to expenditure as they don't have a Senior football team, usually only hurl against neighbouring counties, and can play in Dublin easily without over-nighting. They travelled to Cork for a semi-final in the League last year, other than that the only games in League/Championship not in Kilkenny or a neighbouring county were in Dublin or Salthill.

Limerick's hurlers had their 12 matches in League and Championship to fund but the county's footballers also had 12 matches including a trip to Croke Park. In the National Football League there was no team from the same province in the same division often with huge distances to travel.

In football, Kerry had no team from their own province in their League division with significant travelling expenses and a trip to Croke Park for the final.

The Kerry hurlers also had no team from the same province in their League division, just as was the case in the Joe McDonagh cup which involved trips to Carlow and Antrim, and Croke Park.

Leitrim hurlers had nine matches in League and Championship groups with no team even from their own province. Fermanagh played more matches in Carrick in Shannon in the League than Leitrim hurlers did.

The Leitrim footballers had a championship game in London. Sligo had one in New York.

I know the instinct is to portray Kilkenny as either hard done by generally and/or plucky outsiders punching above their weight. In reality they are neither and comparisons with other counties on expenses are pointless when in reality the county's funding requirements are much less.

The idea that expense = success is flawed also. Expense is more a function of activity (two Senior teams for example) and sometimes success (with greater travel and number of matches) than the other way around, but also individual circumstances and geography play a big part.

For example, Leitrim's hurlers played several League matches in Dublin and some of these teams even train outside their own county because of where players are based. How many Kilkenny hurlers live more than 20 miles from Nowlan Park? Unless you are looking to enrich individual players it's hard to see why Kilkenny need someone to bankroll them as you seem to want.

While I agree kk were lucky to win the all Ireland you definitely need luck along the way to win anything.kerry had it last year against Dublin,shamrocks had it at times last year and ballygunner had it in the final. Wexford knew pepper was unavailable if he played senior last year the rules were clear. Henry done the same with the galway lads. I'm sure cody could of gave drennan or Clifford ten minutes against westmeath but the sensible thing to do was complete the u20 which was the day after we played wexford and in the senior and see what we have then. Im not saying we didn't ride our luck but on the day despite langtons controversial point we were better than Limerick on the day. The wexford game was a week after extra time against galway and kk tired quickly as expected but I'm hopefully we'll get a few players off that team

Yeah i agree 100% Brookville, great to win the All Ireland, but we have to be realistic about it. Wexford have been as good as Kilkenny at u20/21 level last 7/8 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Marrooned

mighty mighty Shamrocks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Offaly come back from 5 points down with 12 mins to go to beat Laois by a point. Means Wexford are in the final instead

No doubt but from the good u21 teams that won a few leinsters and hammered us in a few matches they've one senior leinster title which is a very poor return. 1 minor leinster and no u21 all ireland.Time is running out for that group of Ryan,foley,mac and chin.No one will dispute we were lucky last year but the fact remains they won the all Ireland. I'm hopeful Clifford,drennanand maybe Denis Walsh can kick on but lads like doyle coming on last night and doing well that will hopefully stand to him.

Just home from the Shamrocks match it was dead enough,shamrocks very jittery like crokes in the football. Dunloy were excellent for 50 mins and caused them problems.alot of players played below par but eoin cody was excellent and Colin just holds the ball up so well. He definitely has a year or two at county but he's going travelling. Joey going for a year or two aswell. Great to see Brian cody come on he was very rusty as expected but got a nice point.Hes going travelling aswell. Scoreline doesn't reflect the game but Dunloy can be very proud of their effort. Tj needs a good few weeks off and the race will be on to try have adrian ready for the championship in April it's a serious injury.

Couldn't believe the state of the pitch today.i know its got resurfaced after garth brooks but surely there's no need to play leinster club semi and even the semi final in croke park. Its after getting alot of matches recently it definitely needs to be looked at.

How many times has it been said here that Kilkenny were missing 3 very good players during the run at under 20 last year, but one particular posted just won't acknowledge it. He insists on trying to degrade Kilkenny's win through his banging on about players missing from other counties. Let it go man and try to enjoy our limited success.

On the positive side, what a pleasure to be in Croke Park today to watch the Shamrocks add to their successes. You could see what it meant to them the way they celebrated afterwards. Brilliant club.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

He seems to be a begrudger for some reason, some craic on the beer I'd say 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

as a neutral you always shout for the antrim side , everyone's favorited other hurling county , pitch was terrible , Limerick referee assumed the game be played on Limerick club intermediate championship terms where anything goes , 11 different scorers was impressive Eoin Cody and Tj immense

Congratulations to Ballyhale Shamrocks on an almighty achievement of winning another club All Ireland. 6 in the last 17 competitions is remarkable, will never be beaten. What a club.

Paddy Mullen has been outstanding for Shamrocks this year, he is the best midfielder in Kilkenny at the moment. Kilkenny have been very poor at midfield since we last won an All Ireland in 2015. Paddy and Adrian Mullen could be the answer going forward

The Kilkenny GAA website states that the Waterford v Kilkenny League fixture is fixed for Nowlan Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Walsh Park is closed for redevelopment and I think with the limits these days on grassbanks for spectators Dungarvan mightn't be a suitable venue, probably mean the next 2 league meetings after this will be in Walsh Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭conor05

He has an ability to score very accurate long range points from midfield and he is also tough as nails aswel is Paddy.

He would be the type of hurler Lyng would like I’d imagine and the right man to get stuck into the likes of Will O Donoghue and Darragh O Donovan.

• Advertisement

I see the Walsh cup final is going to double up with the 1st round of the league between galway and wexford. They're playing Sunday week so it makes sense. The state of the pitch yesterday compared to Saturday evening in wexford. I know everyone wants to play in croke park but madness playing all the hurling and football matches in croke park.shamrocks struggled to rise the ball at times. It should be only be available for the final imo.Think back to the minor all ireland last year in the park great atmosphere helped by the packed house.

Fair play to James meagher who has won a junior,intermediate and senior final i think. A shrewd operator and the brains behind the operations. Dunloy wanted inexperienced killian corcoran free but shamrocks countered this and Pushed up himself and butler and Evan shefflin was the free man alot of the time granted he made the wrong decision several times.

I agree with general views that paddy mullen has upped his game and he should get game time during the league. He's an enforcer and is always good for a few points.He needs to tidy up a small bit and keep his head,there's no point giving away frees or getting sent off but these things can be ironed out. We've really struggled in this position so hopefully he will be the answer. Adrian has a grade 3 hamstring so will be out for 6-8 weeks although hoban said he could of played which was a bit strange. The aim will be to have him back for the championship.

The kk panel is getting reduced this week so alot lads will be dissapointed.It will be intresting to see will he carry any of u20s for the championship.last Saturday was great experience for any of them young lads .They had a good look at what they have and everyone got gametime. It seems clear management want padraig in the backs and deegan up further. He got 2 nice points but done some very stupid things for a man of his experience. Corrigan park Saturday week won't be simple as clare and wexford proved but its good preparation for the championship match later on the year. I think most teams won't take the league too seriously after the way Limerick and Waterford went last year. I know everyone can't do what Limerick done but it will definitely be very diluted. The €18 a game probably won't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

€18 a ticket??? 😳

Anybody not using their Season Ticket for the Antrim match let me know please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭robwen

The Shamrocks have nominated Eoin Cody as captain & TJ as vice captain

Think Eoin Cody has matured in many ways to take on the role of captain. TJ will be a treat support for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Best of luck to Eoin for the season ahead, hopefully he'll continue his good form with Shamrocks with Kilkenny and he'll have another good reason.

On another note good to see Cathal Beirne of Glenmore back in action for DCU freshers the other night after having a nightmare couple of years with injury, is he still U-20 this year?

That's good news regarding C Beirne. I think he's still under 20 and he along with Hughes and Shine were big losses for Kilkenny under 20s last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

You know you can't say that. Kilkenny only won the all ireland because Limerick, Galway and Wexford were missing lads. The missing KK lads don't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Big jump I thought. Gone up like most things and I realise costs of things have risen for all parts of the gaa but still it's a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Great to see so many Kilkenny players featuring on Fitzgibbon teams.

The Maynooth team that nearly beat UCC last week was almost exclusively Kilkenny lads (11 starters I think).

We may be a bit light on silverware at underage levels last few years, but no question for me that pound for pound we are still producing more good hurlers than any other county.

Semis this weekend in Colleges. Kierans play Colaiste Eoin on Sat with Good Counsel playing Offaly Schools. Offaly Schools are very strong, packed with last years' excellent minor team, but if they win Leinster, they will bow out at that stage.

Kierans still missing Shine and Bill Hughes I think, but will still be strong and if they can survive Sat and get those two back, will be very hard to beat.

Advertisement