Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I have connections to the current squad. You’re talking shite. Does this poaching include paying the travel expenses of these lads coming from other counties? What’s the going rate for signing on bonus?

Maybe Kieran’s are being funded by some oil rich gulf state to finance all these transfers. If Kieran’s aren’t careful they could be brought to bear with points deductions or god forbid relegation to the Harty cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

2 things on this

1. Will you please point out where i gave the word wholesale or a word similar to this. I don't know how wholesale or not it is, a few other posters here seem to have a better idea.

2. Even if it was just the 2 players its still 2 more than 90-95% of other schools who field teams in schools hurling, in fairness to Kierans i doubt its exclusive to them I'd imagine alot of the traditional schools across the country do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lim4ev

why would kiely and kinnerk be worried about last Sat evening? he took off hannon and hegarty around the 50 min mark and replaced them with ciaran barry and a clearly unfit cian lynch. god knows how many first teamers we were missing.

Sorry fully aware this is a kilkenny thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

That poster is just highly sensitive on the topic by the looks of things, can't seem to acknowledge things in a mature manner than contradict their view. They were just waffling on as if Kierans were like Man City due to their bizarre bitterness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I don't think Kiely will be one bit worried apart from the goalkeeper. Those two goals should have been saved, keeper way too cocky and cost Limerick the match. Cork had to go all out to stay with a very understrength Limerick team

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I'm not saying it's a turning point but that wasnt a "very understrength" Limerick team (I think of their best 15, 9 started or came on), and they were clearly doing a Cody on it, going down to Cork to put manners on them and blow them away. That's a compliment btw, that's what great ruthless teams do. Shane Dowling said at half time that Limerick were 6-8 weeks ahead of where they were this time last year in terms of preparation. They meant business but assumed 2nd half would be a cakewalk and when Cork upped it, they couln't get their A game going again

Also Cork were similarly down a few of their best players.

Replying to previous poster. Why on earth would Kiely risk playing a "clearly unfit" Cian Lynch? Not sure why he took off Hannon but I'd be sure he took off Hegarty because he was starting to get ratty and his influence on game compared to 1st half had waned.

Look, it mightn't have been championship but it was a full blooded real contest between two teams fielding close to their best currently fit or available 15s, played in perfect conditions on a great pitch in front of 20,000. And it was great fare. Downgrading it as meaningless is off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

It's good to have tipp coming to town Sunday. Both managers will want to get a win but it obviously won't be the end of the world. Hopefully get a good performance.What have we learned at this early stage? Derek likes padraig in the backs,Tallis in the goal,deegan around mid field.Tommy Walsh has a foot injury and niall rowe will have to be happy with the start he has had but Sunday will be a much stiffer test.That antrim game will bring lads on. We mixed the good with the bad but I'd be a bit more optimistic about the year ahead in terms of gameplan. I'd like to see more of Paul cody he got two points before being substituted at half time. Billy drennan will get more attention as the league goes on but he has being a real positive. He could pass out Billy ryan and Alan Murphy in the pecking order.id like to see timmy Clifford get a few matches aswell.

We probably won't see the shamrocks lads for a few more weeks but it wouldnt be any harm to throw in paddy mullen and ronan corcoran if both were fit for a few league matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Any idea what the story is with tickets for Sunday or will it be pay at the gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

This is being spoken about o TV this morning too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Any word on Conor Delaney? Time is running out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

27 this year. Lack of game time will really effect him. At his best he is not the most mobile so will need to be fully tuned up when back to put himself in contention. The last time I remember him playing for Kilkenny was against Cork twice, once in the league in Cork and the other in an All Ireland semi when introduced from the bench. Neither went well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

Relegation to the Harty Cup would be brilliant. They wouldn't know what him them after all the handy games in Leinster year in year out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Kierans have a poor record in Leinster lately. Offaly schools won it this year and the New Ross School won it last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

Limerick lost in the League last year to Cork by nine points, and also to Galway and Wexford. Turned out to have feck all significance. Why there's such a fuss made about February hurling every year beats me.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

In fairness to Conor Delaney he's been very unfortunate with injuries over the years. We was excellent in 2020 when he had an injury free year and when he had to stand in for Huw Lawlor last year against Dublin and Wexford I thought he played well.

It will be interesting to see what kind of team is picked on Sunday and if any of the Shamrocks lads are back in contention, Darragh Corcoran was on the bench Saturday so may be the best placed of them to start next week. The Fitzgibbon cup quarter finals are this week so this will surely have a big impact also, I'd imagine that if players are going to be involved again next week with colleges they may be rested this weekend. Paul Cody and Cian Kenny have played a lot of hurling between fitzgibbon cup and league/walsh cup and you'd easily pick up injuries with a tough schedule like that, I'd imagine that's why Cody was taken off early against Antrim.

It's been interesting to see how Derek has set up us team the last few weeks, he obviously is a big fan of Tallis in goal and it looks like he has leap frogged Darren Brennan in the pecking order. I think once everyone is fit the full back line of Butler, Lawlor & Tommy Walsh will be the bedrock of the team but its good to give a few games to Niall Rowe and the experience will bring him on a lot. The surprising thing in Lyng's selections has been the amount of game time Buckley and Padraig Walsh have been getting in the half back line. I think the general view, for me anyway, was that both were coming to the end of there careers and the suggestion was that maybe there legs were beginning to go. I'm not sure how confident I'd be with either in a big championship game against a Limerick/Galway but maybe it's a sign of how few good options we have back there that they look to be in pole position for these places. I think moving Deegan to midfield has been a good move, he brings a lot of physicality and aggression there which is something we have lacked recently. His midfield partner is still up for grabs, the hope would be that Ronan Corcoran is in with the county panel and him and Deegan get a good run together during the league. Paddy Mullen has been mentioned too and in fairness bar a moment of madness in the county final he was excellent for Shamrocks after that. I like the placing of Cian Kenny at centre forward, it allows him to drift around and get on ball and try and drag defenders out of the middle, he's good at creating scores for other players and well able to take a score also, for a young lad he's a good talker and organiser also. Paul Cody have been good in the games he's got and look's like a good option. Billy Drennan has been the big positive in the forwards, we all hoped that he would take his U-20 form into the senior set up but I thought he would have needed a year or two to bulk up and get up to speed but he has been excellent and looks a real goal threat in there too. Mossy was back at the weekend and looked rusty early on but came into it more as the game went on, he mightn't be everyone's cup of tea but he is very effective and has a great knack of being in the right place at the right time to score goals. Hopefully Shane Walsh will get a good run over the next few weeks too after an excellent season with Tularoan last year. It's going to be a big league for the likes of John Donnelly, Alan Murphy and Billy Ryan, both have been around a while now and still haven't really nailed down a place, both have the talent but need to take next step and nail down a place on the team. I think once we get TJ, Eoin Cody and Adrian Mullen back in the starting team our forwards will be a lot stronger but there is definitely spots in the forwards up for grabs.

Assuming the Shamrocks lads are back, the team I'd go for on Sunday would be:

Tallis,

Butler, Lawlor, Rowe

D Corcoran, P Walsh, Blanchfield

R Corcoran, P Deegan

Donnelly, Kenny, E Cody

Drennan, Mossy, S Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

You do realise that the Good Counsel has a large number of students from South Kilkenny and that a large part of its hurling team would be made up of lads from the Rower-Inistioge, Tullogher, Glenmore and sometimes Mullinavat and Graig. I've said it before here but I really think the obsession that some people have with Kieran's and school hurling is crazy. Player development should be done through the clubs and not the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

How bad was Darren Corcoran in club all Ireland he so far from county Team

There was plenty of replacements they just did not fit in to Cody thinking remember he played Conor Browne for 5 years they so many players in kilkenny better than him

if Alan murphy on panel this year it’s another step backwards

if billy ryan on panel after his performances last year we going backwards

mossy keogan showed in club championship he not up to county standard so if he on team we going backwards

if these young lads are not better than these there wouldn’t be any all Ireland for quite a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Darren corcoran must be a new lad.

There's not many here that think Billy ryan or Alan Murphy will ever win hurler of the year but mossy had a good year with the county. Shane Walsh has being consistent for tullaron but he has struggled to make an impact on the county. Hopefully he'll get as many chances as a few other lads have got. We've all said it's a big year for Billy,alan,delaney,donnelly and these lads who have being on the panel a few years without nailing down a spot.

I would be interested in what kind of players you would like to see on the team or lads you would like to see called in?

Mossy was terrible in all Ireland final he does ok against weaker teams again you win nothing if he in your first 15

alan Murphy terrible for glenmore

kilkenny have to go back picking hurlers not runners work hard

Deegan

Brown

Donnely

Ryan might be fast his brother a better hurler

Keoghan very poor hurler can’t pass a ball

Walter Walsh very poor hurler

only Tj gave one of the greatest performances in a all Ireland hurling final ever we would have being bet out the gate

Remember you backed Brian Cody

his record over the last 7 years as kilkenny manager was a poor a performance as any manager in hurling

it was more important that you could run than hurl

only for tj kilkenny would have being at the arse of the garden any manager that put out the midfield we had in last years all Ireland had lost the plot

we replace him with someone that has no experience

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

I wouldn't take this lad too seriously Brookville.

There is a young chap from O’Loughlin’s in the cadets a brilliant hurler

John Walsh from Mullinavat one of the top comet forwards in championship never got a chance

paddy Mullen now worth a go why was he no given a go under Cody

Blanchefield

I think his name ger Malone from mullinavat

cane in done well left out

I would hope they would start fresh build a team there 4 or 5 they should let go

fogarty

buckley

deegan

richie

walter

dont have to take me seriously

but that’s doesn’t change the fact 7 years since all Ireland win

all ready beating by Wexford this year

very lucky to beat Antrim stood there in the rain watching a very poor team

Buckley padraig Ryan Walter keogan there is 5 gone past it or not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If you're going to start using the results of Walsh Cup matches against the team, it might be worth remembering that only ONE of the players you're whinging about actually started in the Wexford match. We were also not "lucky" to beat Antrim ffs, we bet them pulling up, and did so without any Ballyhale players so let's at least get our facts right first. Not that it matters anyway, matches in February tell us nothing at all.

"we replace him with someone who has no experience" OK setting aside the fact that he had just won an u-20 All Ireland the year before, who are the people with experience of senior hurling management that you would have wanted in ahead of him? And why would they be better? Should we bring back Nicky Brennan?

Could not qualify for a Walsh cup final out of Offaly Laois and a bad Wexford team

2pints up with 3 minutes left and they miss 2 handy chances win pulling up I was at it

Tj Eoin and Adrian that’s all you have

fact

Billy Ryan not good enough

Buckley gone past it

padraig the same

paddy Deegan not good enough

walter Walsh not good enough

mossy not good enough

Eddie Brennan

mullay from glenmore record managing teams

fogarty from comer who thought he had the job

Micky Walsh from boro has a great record at club and county great job with west Meath

Sorry I not whinging about any players

just telling the fact they not good enough

the results tell you that

the only reason kilkenny got any results in the last few years us because we had the greatest hurler of all time giving great performances match after match

and remember tj was walking away from kilkenny hurling because of the way he was treated by Cody

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Mossy keoghan scored a goal in nearly every championship match for Kilkenny last year was one of our better players will you come out of the fog boy 🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Fogarty or Michael Walsh as manager in 2023. That's some run of posts. 9th February and lads in full panic mode.

Advertisement