Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Jaysus man, are you friends with Dean Mason or something? he is an average goalkeeper and shouldnt be within an asses roar of a county panel, hes dodgy enough on the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Fierce dissapointing first half today where the match was effectively over at half time. I suppose the only positive is kk were very poor for a lot of it and got it back to 4 near the end. Donnelly who was good when he came on should of goaled his chance and it could of being an intresting finish,wally had a few chances he should of definitely got one at least.

Liam cahil will have his teams very fit and he will hope he doesn't do the same as last year with Waterford but today we were chasing shadows for a lot of it. By all accounts tipp have a lot of work done but a lot of our lads struggled today.

We coughed up alot of cheap scores. How many times did the short passing break down?It will take a while before we're comfortable with it. We were much more comfortable going more direct in the 2nd half I was suprised that a few lads finished the game.I also agree with previous posters that it was unfair starting killian doyle.The chap is only in school.its hard play fitzgibbon during the week but Darragh corcoran and cian kenny really struggled today. Some of the senior lads really struggled to even do the basics.

Like any loss people are quick to react but Lyng deserves time to put his stamp on things.The short passing broke down and we gave alot away but they are trying to mix things up and this is going to happen in the early stages. We have to have variety.I know theres alot of lads injured or unavailable but i would be a little dissapointed with starting Killian doyle who isn't nearly ready for senior county. Heary should of being tried on the half back line.The positive is drennan will hopefully be a big help when he has a few better players around him.Id give Shane Walsh a few more runs to see how he goes.

The ballyhale lads won't be back for another few weeks some of them have knocks. Alot of people were hoping paddy mullen might see a bit of league time.Delaney,James bergin and Tommy Walsh also recovering from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Sorry said I finished till championship

no I don’t know Dean mason even do we neighbours

of all the comments I have heard about players over the years I think this is the most comical

Dean mason has proved himself as one of the top goal keepers where it matters in county finals all Ireland finals for such a young man his achievements

He so good shamrocks able to take Richie Reid out of it and put him out field and Richie was sub goalie to kilkenny

so as I said this comment is so comical I would believe you have a personal issue with him because there is no hurling sense to it

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Michael Carey, Conor Browne, James Maher and Richie Leahy being unavailable for the year has made the league more difficult for Kilkenny, none of them are superstars but have developed a lot physically from being around the panel a few years and they all get through a fair but of running, the half back line and midfield looked like they had no energy in their legs especially in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

short passing killed ye in the first half , keeper looks like a really good shots topper ,dont be like us go long...

walsh is in danger of losing his place on the panel with some of them misses today , i have huge gra for rhe likes of blanchfield and the galmoy hurdler Drennan too serious prospects have been following them since their minor days , john john donnelly was excellent too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Some of ye must be in some form of purgatory having to suffer the bizarre ramblings of forchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

It’s strange how lads from other counties keep referencing limerick instead of their own teams. Forde will likely ate any Clare back he comes up against

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Sorry lads my last post was done after a party when I had way too many drinks, currently on the way work and was nearly afraid to come on with the fear, so genuine apologies, opinions are opinions and everyone is entitled to their own so honestly, sorry. This thread has always been brilliant in my eyes. But after the game yesterday I thought I had to come on to see what was being said. Tipp were good and I’d take nothing away from them. I think from here on out we need to field stronger teams. Don’t get me wrong the ballyhale lads are very good hurlers but a few of them have never hurled at this level before, it’s a big step up. We’ve a break now, but the next day I’d love to see scruff inde goal, donnolly start and as many ballyhale lads who lyng sees as championship material play because as we know it can be a quick season. Leinster hard to call this year, luckily we’ve the Ballyhale trio of TJ, Adrian and E Coady who as are good as you can get if they’re on song. League is league and championship is championship at the end of the day, KK were poor today and the scoreboard flattered them. Tipp in my eyes were very good but as crazy as it might sound the only two teams I can see beating Limerick are Kilkenny and Galway, if they get very lucky. Limerick are a class above in my eyes no matter who they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

To be fair I think he is better than average.

You don't win five county finals and 3 All Irelands with an average goalkeeper between the sticks.

I'd think he would deserve a chance before someone who doesn't even play in goal for their club team.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Bang on here.. it was the first time in a while at any game and the level of football tactics now in hurling amazed me. You don't appreciate it until your actually at a game. Both warm ups were all football drills you'd do with u12s about 10 years ago! And you dead right about tipps last score.. football 101!.. and this is where it's Kilkenny biggest weakness at the moment. Kk much better when going long but don't have the ammo to make it hurt like it used to.

Drennan will defo see championship I feel after yesterday so if he's u20 they can forget about him. Was sharp considering he was living off scraps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny are to slow, Buckley, Walsh, Cororan, Hearly and Deegan are all too one paced. When they get turned the are out of the game, they cannot get back. Blanchfield has to start. He is very good in the air and most importantly has pace and great recovery. Buckley gave one of the worst first half displays I have ever seen in a Kilkenny jersey yesterday. Should have gone before Doyle. In fairness to Cody he realised Padraig's legs are gone. I'm not having a rant at Deegan but i find it very hard to watch him. He brings a bit of abrasiveness but he is all over the place, poor hurler, slow, one sided, the only time i see him run fast is to take a line ball or free.

On the positive side, along with Blanchfield, Lawlor excellent full back, the incompetence around him led to the scores. Billy Ryan , Billy Drennan to me were outstanding. Billy Ryan did great for the goal, won hard position and was a constant threat, he had little help around him. John Donnelly looked very good when on

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dodgysub

How did the Kilkenny u-20's get on against Tipp yesterday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

Cahill (Waterford) and Davy (Wexford) played a similar style in my opinion which is based around moving the ball up the field in patterns - straight out of football (Btw I think Wexfords final point against us in the championship last year was another football run). Cahill now has better hurlers so he will be able to vary things - however I was impressed at their skill levels in doing it (albeit it's February and Kilkenny were not at the races). That said - it's an attritional game physically and mentally.

Kilkenny spent a lot of time trying to run the ball up the middle if offloads to runners (I'm beginning to sound like he egg-ball bores!) which to me was a similar approach. The disappointing thing was their lack of appreciation as to how to defend the same system - it requires tracking and workrate and decision making. And that was way off.

I would think that without lads of the like of Mikey Carey who can run and make those breaks and bearing in mind that lads like Padriag, Buckley, Deegan have tried previously and can't do it well - or have very questionable decision making - then we're not going to see much change in our fortunes if we pick them in the half backs.

I think a game similar to what I call Limerick-ball would suit Kilkenny much more - the interplay is purely to work a free half back for a 60-40 delivery - normally with hand passing under pressure and out of the rucks and intelligent lines of running in the forwards (witness again Tipps final score). There was very little of that - except when Blanchfield came on as he in generally is a more intelligent player and better striker than the others. Drennan's fortunes improved considerably when Blancfield came on.

Looking for those type of players that have the wit to defend and attack is the 64K question.

A Cha-Fitzpatrick type player in a free (continuity) role would also help - I thought perhaps Darren Mullen would be that person but unfortunately he seams to struggle physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Very disappointing performance yesterday especially in the first half where we were all over the place at the back. I thought we definitely overplayed it coming out from the back and we were our own worst enemies at times. P Walsh and Buckley were exceptionally poor in the first half. I think it was clear yesterday why Cody had moved both out of the backs in recent years, they just don't seem to have the legs for it anymore. I'd have sympathy for Conor Heary, he isn't a corner back and is far better suited to half back. Darragh Corcoran was also poor but again I'd give him the benefit of the doubt as he's played for UL on Thursday night. We were absolutely cleared out in the half back line and midfield again yesterday and unfortunately it's really becoming a trend in our matches. The older experienced players like Buckley, P Walsh and Wally were really really poor yesterday and to be honest at this stage I'd prefer to see some of the younger lads get a chance than persisting with lads who aren't up to it anymore. I was surprised to see Killian Doyle start yesterday and even though it didn't go his way yesterday hopefully the experience will help bring him on. I thought Tallis had a mixed day in the goal, got caught out with a few puckouts but also made a few really good saves, he's young and will learn from yesterday and I think he has the potential to be a top class keeper. I thought we also tried to overplay it at times, at one stage Billy Ryan got around his man and nearly slowed down to pass it to someone coming off his shoulder and then ended up making a mess of the pass. We squandered probably 3 guilt edged goal chances that have to be taken at this level, all three (Wally x2 and Donnelly) were poor finishes and gave the keeper every chance of making the save.

There were some positives from the display yesterday, Huw Lawlor was top class again yesterday and showed great leadership especially in the second half. I thought Billy Ryan's movement was excellent yesterday, didn't always do the right thing with the ball but looked dangerous. If he could sharpen up his passing and finishing he would be very dangerous. Billy Drennan played well again and definitely doesn't look out of place at this level. I thought Donnelly was excellent off the bench, it's just a pity he didn't finish that goal chance it would have put us right back in the game. David Blanchfield was excellent when he came on also and definitely has to be a starter going forward. One thing on Mossy Keoghan, he may not be the most stylish player but he is incredibly effective, 1-2 again yesterday. I think he has to play in closer to goal because if he gets a sniff of a chance he usually takes them. I thought Derek and the management got a couple of positional placements wrong yesterday but it is only February and we are trying to play the right way even if we are overplaying it and it's not always coming off. I think we definitely think Cian Kenny and Adrian Mullen will be vital to the way Derek wants to play as they are the best we have at linking the play from defence to attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Right I'm not going to get too bothered by the league, obviously Derek lyng is going to experiment and work on a new style which is welcome. I thought we were going to get bet out the gate at half time but in fairness that very experimental team showed some pride in the second half. Buckley and wally are finished for me, they have nothing to offer going forward not even as subs. But assume that the championship was starting next weekend and knowing what you know of who we have how will the team line out. My stab at it. M Butler, H Lawler, T Walsh full back line. D blanchfield, P Walsh R Reid half back line, P deegan A mullen midfield, six forwards j Donnelly, Eoin Cody, TJ Reid, billy Ryan, billy drennan, mossy keoghan. I really do think drennan is going to start the championship the chap has vision and can hopefully turn in to the playmaker that I believe he is. Is Richie leahy gone off the panel? I know he is hot and cold but he is a good hurler and has been good at times when introduced as a sub. My team could be all wrong I'm just putting it up there for debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Shocks12

Agree with lots of this. Lot of people on this forum are raving about Ronan Corcoran and Paddy Mullan. Corcoran was poor for Ballyhale for a good few games and was actually moved in a few games to wing forward as he was getting cleaned. He is extremely slow too which is not what Kk need. Paddy hurled well but is slow too. Playing with Ballyhale where you are better than most opposition and get the best of ball masks this. They could run anywhere and pick up loose ball. Good players but not what kk need imo.

I feel sorry for Buckley a great trier but his legs have been gone since 2017. Hard to believe he is playing and still on that panel.

Padraig the same. Watch the all Ireland last year Declan Hannon (no speed demon) leaves him in his dust.

The Ballyhale guys will make a difference it was only a league game after all.

I am not sure Lyng identified the right type of player he needed when calling guys in. We need pace and he didn’t seem to call lads in who have this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Could you, and the poster you quoted, state who should replace all those players you want dropped? I'm interested to know other poster's opinion on who should be on the starting 15. Many posters have no problem in stating who they want dropped, but please come up with replacements. It's difficult enough to win with 15 on the pitch against decent opposition - imagine what it would be like with only 10 or less on our team!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

This is always a good riposte in these situations because sometimes there are no easy answers. Most counties most of the time have a few players who in an ideal world would not be on the team.

Replacements of the same quality players in decline once had are not always available. "Transition" is the usual euphemism for this. But the inability to rattle off 4/5 names that will not be summarily dismissed does not negate the view offered that not all players are up to scratch at least to the level supporters would like.

All this, of course, needs to be asterisked by the fact that it's nearly impossible for Kilkenny to not qualify out of Leinster in the championship (their opponents of yesterday will not qualify from Munster) and it is just February.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

To be fair mikey carey would have been a certain starter at wing back if not on his travels. Conor browne would also be there or thereabouts. We don't have too many replacementa unfortunately. Conor heary might turn into a decent wing back at County level but aside from blanchfield and Richie reid when back what are our options between 5 and 9? Paddy mullen definitely deserves a shot. He has been consistently good for the shamrocks.

• Advertisement

I would only drop Buckley. He can’t play anywhere bar half back or midfield.

Tom Kenny his club mate is a better option for starters.

Tom Kenny turned down the invite apparently.

A poster here has written off Buckley, P Walsh, D Corcoran, O Deegan and R Reid - all half back options. He did suggest the obvious one in D Blanchfield. Well, I guess, until he has a bad day!

So, we have one for the half back line.

Ah look I think of all of them Buckley for me is finished and whilst it is harsh to say it is plain to see even his club form from 2021 showed that.

The rest can all hurl the problem is when they are turned they struggle.

Hard to pick a team at this stage Lyng might aswell try plenty I am sure he has a team in mind for championship.

But I think these problems will come to the fore again around All Ireland semis and quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Marrooned

U20s lost by two points to Tipperary in Dunmore yesterday morning Tipp led well at half time KK made a few changes and things improved. They trained hard on Friday night and looked a little jaded. Missing a good few high profile players like Kilian Doyle,Timmy Clifford,Billy Drennan,Gearoid Dunne,Niall Rowe etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Billy ocean

its amazing you you thing my comments are bizzare

I only said Buckley gone past it

paddy Deegan to slow

walter finished his hurling not good enough

mossy has showing for 3 years do ok in league come serious championship not Laois and Offaly and west Meath he just not good enough taking off Leinster final semie final and all Ireland final

Billy Ryan has showing not good enough

yesterday got a load of ball gave half of it away

Alan Murphy not good enough

Worried about padraig

so everything I have said happened again yesterday

it’s not to long since a very poor Wexford team beat use

I said the management team to inexperienced my god did that show up

i also defended Dean mason as good goal keeper

so I would appreciate if you could pint out to me that what comments I have made are so buzzard

I make my comments based on there performance playing for kilkenny over a number of games and there clubs

just like I have watched Billy Ryan for the last few years last year he very poor for club

again yesterday he on a load of ball and gave away half of it

unfortunately I think kilkenny hurling has being based on how physical and how hard you work where kilkenny hurling was always based on skill work rate was a giving

you saw it yesterday even John Donnely who people think had good game look at the scores he missed yesterday was a good day for him great man to work unfortunately he has showing in latter stages of championship his hurling is to slow easily blocked down

I also see a comment made there by grats about blanchfield it’s a pity that his great man Brian could not see that last year

Again I said I would like if kilkenny started from scratch

heary Lawlor Blanchfield would be a half back line I would liked tried

now we wait for championship and in my opinion we need big change

enjoy the rest of league

So, rob the full back line to replace players being dropped from the half back line! Oh wait, now we have to find a full back.

As I said earlier, we need more than 10 in the starting line up!!! If we even have 10 with the amount of players some want dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I presume the kierans lads were also missing they are out this weekend.It will be intresting to see what will happen drennan when the u20s come around. I know they have spent little time with the u20 so far. My guess is they will get game time during the league and concentrate on the u20 and hopefully come back into the senior set up later in the year. Maybe I am wrong but that's my thinking.the u20 round Robin will benefit all teams but this is a good kk team if they have everyone so hopefully they will go well.i know they have a few injuries aswell.

I hope everyone has cooled down a small bit. We are all dissapointed with the first half. Some shocking defending and loads of mistakes.now is the time to be trying things and making mistakes. The management are not fools and will know who is going well or not and if they presist with lads that are struggling or out of position then we have a right to be concerned. It's not even the middle of February and lads are giving out. Cahill had Waterford absolutely buzzing last February and they blew up a few months later.They were miles ahead of us in terms of fitness and all teams are trying to get the balance right with fitness. Clare gave up against Limerick and showed no intrest. Galway were 10 points down with a few mins to go.Dublin only bet antrim by a few points at home. We had a 20 spell where we imploded and kept persisting with short ball that kept breaking down and as a result gave away sloppy passes that they punished. Goals and points as a result of this. They will all know this isn't good enough and they will improve.

As others have said lawlor was magnificent and led by example and mossy and donnelly got nice scores and altho Billy ryan was good in patches I'd like to see him more consistent because he has loads of ability.i did like the way he took the punishment going in for mossy goal and he needs more of that.

Like a lot of teams we are struggling with injures and we could of done with given gametime to James bergin,Conor delaney and Tommy Walsh. Cillian,padriag and wally will know they will come under pressure.

Like alot of lads here Lyng has good time for Shane Walsh and although he found it hard to get up to the pace of the game I think he needs to give him a few more chances. He deserves a few chances he's being very consistent for tullaron.

If we beat laois away and dublin at home which we should be doing it could come down to the last match in the park against davey to get to a semi final. We will have the shamrocks lads coming back for the Dublin match so they will obviously be a huge help.

If i was to be a little critical,Although management probably have a rough idea of their championship team i think they need to sit down and try put something solid in place for the league especially from number 5-12 we got completely blew out of the water and this certainly isnt the 1st time.This is the war zone of every match and we've being 2nd best on alot of big occasions. All great teams have a solid half back line for a start. We haven't that.Our midfield partnership last wknd was baffling and a few of our fowards were poor.just a question for any southerners Was there no mooncoin lad good enough for the county after winning the club all Ireland a few years ago?

I'm only a hurler on the ditch going to matches and talking shite but even I could see before we hit a ball we needed to find players from 5-12 and I know lads are involved in college and shamrocks lads unavailable but this is very obvious and basic and was our priority. We got cleaned out in this area in the all Ireland Alot of our lads should be finished with college so for the next few games I'd be dissapointed if we don't see lads playing in their best positions and lads with a bit of power and strength around midfield.im not here to knock anyone because its a huge commitment but I think some of the older lads are better used as Impact subs. Some of the lads who haven't featured will get a ru next Sunday for a great cause hopefully they get a good crowd for a great cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

What's bizarre is your 10 essays a day repeating the same thing over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Harry Shine played the second half oof the U20 on Sunday,probably to give him match practice for Kierans on Saturday.

Now to all the hurling geniuses and critics of last Sunday I want ye to pick your team that would have beating Tipp bearing in mind the availability of players.I look forward to the replies after work this evening.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear H Shine got a run. Fingers crossed for him now.

You beat me to it regards asking the particular experts on here to pick a starting 15. Let's have it.

Advertisement