Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I always assumed the goalkeeper hurl had a large bas. Obviously Greasy isn't too observant.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

Or too blinkered

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Greasy is just highlighting hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

No harm calling out the fact that every team will stretch the rules if they feel they can get away with it. I have absolutely no fear of the rules being applied rigorously as I feel we have a team capable of holding their own anyway the rules are applied at the moment. If we lose we won't blame the Referees , the size of hurleys or the fact that another side have committed to work harder at their game than us for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Flying Donkey

Based on who has recently been available and taking into consideration the Fitzgibbon games in mid week, I would have went with this team vs Tipp:

1. Aidan Tallis
    2. Mikey Butler
    3. Huw Lawlor
    4. Des Dunne
    5. Conor Heary
    6. David Blanchfield
    7. Darragh Corcoran
    8. Shane Murphy
    9. Alan Murphy
    10. Niall Brennan
    11. John Donnelly
    12. Paddy Deegan
    13. Billy Drennan
    14. Mossie Keoghan
    15. Billy Ryan

Highly experimental side but the league is to see where lads are at and who can provide an answer to a position come championship. Padraig Walsh, Cillian Buckley, Wally and Fogarty have been great servants to KK hurling and can still offer a lot, but I see it more so being from the bench than as starters.

• Advertisement

Before the league ends, a couple of players that I’d like to see tested in new positions are Deegan at wing forward, Darragh Corcoran at midfield and Adrian Mullen at centre back.

Deegan brings great energy and physicality to a team, is a decent ball winner and can take a score - good attributes for a wing forward. He wouldn’t have to track a man like he does at wing back and I don’t think he has great positional sense for midfield.

Corcoran has become a massive man physically and could become our answer to Will O’Donoghue. He can carry the ball and take a score and should be able to break up the ball around the middle. Probably needs to sharpen his short play but that should come in time.

My thoughts for Adrian at centre back is that I don’t think we have any surefire centre back and it’s too crucial of a position to not have one of your best players in. Buckley / Walsh / Reid are all good club centre backs but I don’t think they have the legs or physicality for the position anymore. Adrian is a good distributor, has very good recovery pace and could pop up with a couple of points from centre back with his long distance shooting a la Declan Hannon. I think we have enough forwards that he won’t be missed too much (particularly as Billy Drennan looks to have the craft we’ve needed outside of TJ).

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Your no donkey you were the only one to name a proper team as requested.

You finally got what you asked for. Mind you, the few posters you particularly aimed your request at couldn't oblige when it was put up to them. Glad you called their bluff. Too many times they've dropped players without suggesting replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Couple of good posts infairness to you. Derek tried to mix experience with youth last weekend and didn't want to lose to tipp. We will be very dissapointed with how the first half went and and the goal before half time was a real killer.Wally and John donnelly will be dissapointed they didn't raise a green flag each. We could of had an intresting finish if donnelly had to get his one. I do think we will beat laois away and dublin at home and set u a tasty match with Waterford.

Alot of the team you have listed will probably get a run in thurles Sunday and try hold on their place on the panel before lads start coming back.Niall brennan and Paul cody have looked good at times. Its a pity clifford has being injured but gearoid dunne is very strong for his age.Tallis will also learn from last Sunday.

The adrian mullen one at 6 is one I've heard before and it's one I wouldn't be suprised to see happening.i would certainly be in favour of trying it.The problem is we need him in midfield and the fowards. Id expect blanchfield and richie reid to take 2 spots on this line and one spot up for grabs.All successful teams need dominant half back line and I'd like to see management trying a few new lads in our troublesome positions.it would be intresting to see how paddy mullen would go at this level. As we see with Shane Walsh at the moment it's a big step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

Sure if you want to have a debate, Gillane continuosly drops the hurl when he gets near the goal, happened in the All Ireland too, was the 1st time in a few years though, but still happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

He,s not to at dropping his markers hurl as well

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Best of luck to st.Kierans today against Loughrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Relaxing of the u20 rule got voted through at congress anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Great news this has been changed.

Kierans hosed Loughrea 2-28 to 0-13

Will be very hard to stop them now with all players back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Congrats to Dean Mason & Darragh Corcoran, and Shane Staunton from Clara for winning the Fitzgibbon Cup with UL (4-19 to 1-13 against University of Galway)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Powerhouse1

And our Counry Manager thinks Dean Masons form is not good enough. You would like to know what he is watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

Absolutely. Cashel had players from 5 local clubs playing in the Harty Cup semi-final. St Kieran's had players from 19 clubs including a few from other counties on the panel today. Absolutely extraordinary. That'll be like a County team playing a Club team.

Dean Mason is just not agile/fit enough for an inter-county goalkeeper. If he was he'd have blocked the goal from Ruddle in the final a couple of years back. Far too slow getting down to that. Most Fitzgibbon winners, while very exciting for those involved at the time, never see a County senior jersey. Derek Lyng is not wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

On the ball here, You could hardly merit that in contrast to playing an 18 year old from his own club in such a heat of battle last weekend when he clearly not ready for it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Thurles had 6 local clubs represented today when they beat Colaiste Eoin who had 5 clubs represented. You’d wonder why Offaly schools were disallowed when a team with clubs represented from the length & breadth of KK & 3 counties is allowed (rhetorical q. obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Go on shur.. il nibble... Cos one of them is a school and the other isn't. Fairly straight forward really.

Thanks for the clarity. Those rhetorical questions can be far too confusing sometimes.

Heard the team listed to play tomorrow but I doubt all lads listed will play.

Murphy

Daire o neill,delaney,Tommy Walsh

Forget who 5 is but moylan and Richie Reid in the half back line

Paddy mullen,fogarty

Clifford,forget 11 and tj

Shane Walsh,Richie Hogan,James bergin

Hopefully a good crowd attend tomor

5 is Evan Shefflin and 11 is Alan Murphy.

I’d like to see Evan Shefflin get a run. Loads of skill and ability. His long distance shooting is a great asset to the Shamrocks as it forces the opposition to try close him down and provides space inside. If he could apply himself S&C wise and plays deep (around 45 yard line), similar to how Limerick deploy Diarmaid Byrnes, so he’s less exposed pace wise, I don’t see why he couldn’t start.

As we’re not blessed with too many cornerbacks (as last Sunday showed with Heary at cornerback), Daire O’Neill has the attributes to be an IC cornerback (the 6 inches on top could decide whether he will be). Not only did he show to be a very good defender, winning balls high and low in the intermediate club championship, he also scored a couple of points for Danesfort from cornerback. Obviously IC is a completely different standard and plenty of lads have struggled to transition, it’s no harm to give him a chance to see if he will sink or swim.

It's good to see the few injured lads back If the selected team plays. I know tipp have barrett listed in their team and he's out for a while after last week. Like others id like to see shefflin and paddy mullen get a few games at this level. The ballyhale lads are coming back now and injured lads are thankfully recovering. Great to see Clifford getting a run and bergin back from injury. Shane Walsh is the only lad to retain his place from last week. He needs loads of games to get up to the speed and try get a bit of confidence and Lyng knows this .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭robwen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭robwen

Kilkenny win 4-20 0-25

Gearoid Dunne with 3 goals

Advertisement