Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

Poor reffing tonight but as someone said it only made a difference to the margin. If you look at the skill set of both sides there is really nothing between those two sets of players. Galway were better in the rucks and in their awareness of other players. So it has to be down to coaching and tactics. I wouldn't be too downbeat though as we have a few prospects on that team. Was impressed by Fitzpatrick and Glennon when he got his chance for the goal.

I watched the senior match again and I think we did not play as badly or were as tactically naive as some on here think. Midfielders all were below par and that was probably the difference. Donnelly will not play as badly again. Lots of wides early on from those guys which cost us later in the game. We really missed Conor Brown I thought. This is an area where I think we need fresh blood. However the spirit of all of these amateur players could not be questioned. We also had a great spread of scorers which is an improvement over recent years. Cody, Ryan and TJ in the van fought like tigers. However Billy and Eoin need a bit more calmness to look for the killer pass when moving in on goal. This will come with time as they gain experience of big games. Horgan got a lot of points off Lawlor but at the same time he was really on fire so Hugh oddly did ok overall. Tommy Walsh eventually got the measure of Cadogan. I like his calmness under pressure, similar to Mullen. Conor Delaney was obviously exposed by O'Connor's pace but he really should not be on him. Bad call from those on the sideline. Maher and Deegan played well. Carey is a find.

The Cork forum are lauding Horgan's reffing of the game. That tells a story. At the risk of sounding like a Galwayman ; i.e the ref rode us; he gave them two very debatable frees both times when KK went ahead by four points. Cork overall though the more deserving winners and we won't begrudge them too much. They have a huge challenge against an excellent Limerick team.

Finally, really disappointed about the way Richie Hogan was treated. One of the most skillful hurlers I have ever seen. Scored a point when he came on and could have had more if he came on earlier. You don't drive a Cortina in a race when you have a Ferrari in the garage. This is Cody's greatest failing IMO - hubris. He will go against common sense on occasion to prove a point. Remember Charlie carter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Maybe I should have said the team that won 11 all irelands in 15 years, 11 of those players have 8 all ireland medals or more and several more have won 7... that's homogenous enough for me. And while I'm at it I don't think anyone was suggesting that joey and or Richie Hogan's inclusion would have definitely changed the result against Cork (it might have) most posters were merely expressing an opinion on how badly they had been treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Rosita

Homogeneous enough for you maybe but you are missing my point for the sake of a punchy comeback.

As for RH and JH, the question of being "badly treated" implies a sense of entitlement. I would be concerned about any manager who would choose players on that basis. BC has been praised for being "ruthless" over the years. Not sure why people should get wobbly about the same trait now.

And if you accept that their exclusion did not impact on the result/performance it only enhances the entitlement aspect. In time to come when the emotion of recent defeat subsides and there's less necessity to be "right" on the internet it will be seen that Cody wasn't so wrong.

Someone mentioned Charlie Carter (very long time ago now but shows the extent of the trawl that will be done to prove a point) while forgetting to mention that he was only a sub in the previous year's All Ireland final (before he quit) and that Kilkenny won the one in the year he left. A manager is on hand seeing players close up. There's a certain value in that.

Posters on here think Joey and Richie were badly treated based on their form in the club championship and training... no sense of entitlement there at all, just a few posters opinions. A necessity to be right on the Internet is certainly not important to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

I would agree that n a whole Cody has been very good for Kk, but your point about players and having to go back to Carter, I could mention John Dalton, Cha Fitz, Geoghagan from OLG, and TJ for his first 5 years.

we can’t afford similar players to fall away anymore, we just don’t have the numbers of them to backfill the gaps.

but our most critical failure right now is underage. We are dreadful. Our lads haven’t a clue how to hurl, backs lastnight asleep, walking, not man marking. God… the basic errors was terrible to watch.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I wouldn't have thought people would be privy to training performances.

To be fair to me I didn't say one had to go back to Carter, (people will have opinions on many players I'm sure) it's just that someone mentioned him specifically yesterday.

You'll always get word on how certain players are going in training, it's not always true of course but the word coming from good source was that both were absolutely flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Village87

Poor performance from Kilkenny on the line last night. Some of the players were lost out there, didn't know weather to go long or short. Others were just out for themselves. Galway's team play was much better, players committing to rucks trying to win possession, players looking for the best options and playing to a system, while Kilkenny players wanted loose ball and first option was a score for themselves, when that wasn't on it usually resulted in a turnover. Kilkenny full forward line looked very dangerous but were starved.

Some of the antics going on with the Senior, u20 and minor management over the past few months is just not right. It is no coincidence Kilkenny hurling is going the way it is.

Minors were poor last night. Lucky to not have been beaten by more. Galway so much better coached than our lads. Time for new management at this grade. Mullrooney and Finan from a different era. No doubt these lads will win an easy schools title with kierans but by the time they get to under 20 they will have gone backwards and the gap between the Galway and corks and us at this grade will only widen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

A lot of talk of need for coaches in with Kilkenny underage, I’d agree but who are realistic options?

I can’t see any senior/ intermediate coaches giving up on a club for u17 grade (a limited number might be able to double up)

who are the up and coming coaches in the county? I’d find it hard to name too many, we have lots of coaches from outside the county with our clubs.

It's funny how Cork, without a Minor All Ireland since John Gardiner was playing, are now suddenly alongside the five in a row chasing Galway as the benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Col. Blackbeard

"Cork are coming" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

How long till you're back at the top table?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

If you can't see the fruit of the work that Cork have been putting in for the last 5 or so years then that's not anyone's fault but your opticians. Cork will likely beat that Galway team and will also win a second U20 title on the trot. I'd take it for Kilkenny but it ain't going to happen.

It's the same merry go round at the county board and the underage management structures the same lads are just shifted around. If you get in there as a coach or management the hardest part is getting out. County board just keep going back to lads they know, jobs for the boys.

I agree with this completely and if the county board were serious they would set up an elite coaching course because as you rightly point out there is a severe lack of good quality coaching going on in the county at all levels. I think you'll see the top teams in this years club championship will have gone outside the county bar a few exceptions.

I never said anything about the fruit of Cork's work, good, bad, or indifferent. It's just funny how twelve months ago "if we're not careful we'll end up like Cork" was said by people here. Now they are the benchmark. My reference is really to how fickle attitudes are. I couldn't speak with authority on what's happening in Cork no more than I can predict the outcome of the minor and Under 20 finals.

Depends what is meant by the top table. Kilkenny will always be able to get into the top three in the Leinster round robin (no guarantee for example that Wexford will remain competitive and Dublin seem to have hit a ceiling). From that angle Kilkenny will be perennial quarter/semi-finalists and will be conspicuously at the top table. If the top table means actually winning All Ireland championships that is more open to debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Ah Jesus lad have you ever being on one of these coach the coach courses.

They are dire couple of pages and a discussion on what went on 20 yrs ago. Most on them are only doing them so they can coach their own kids. It's not rocket science where we are letting ourselves down. I was at match the other night and spoke to the coach as I was coming off, he mentioned one of the coaches kid played well. I had heard this before and had decided to do the stats on him. He touched the ball 4 times in the match. He pucked the ball away 3 times and was blocked down on the forth and his direct opponent scored 1- 3 from play, he was to mark a different chap who ended up playing centre back and didn't score.

But yet the coaches said he held the chap scoreless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I was talking to one of the extended panellists in the lead up to the game. Apparently they were confident of taking Galway but not so of Cork. I then heard the same sentiment expressed by a wife of one of the management.

Not being smart but since Galway hadn't actually played a game it's hard to account for confidence (or otherwise to be fair).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I'm not talking about the existing courses. I'm talking about them going off and getting expertise to help create a top class course for elite coaches. You wouldn't be allowed within an asses roar of a county team with having done the course. Others could also do it and take it back to their club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny need to move on from the theory that "there will always be hurlers in Kilkenny" that seems to cover up any expenditure on coaching that is required underage. Past neglect cost counties decades, Cork, Offaly and Tipperary in the past. Kilkenny and Clare at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Did Carter not walk away himself, as regards John Dalton the league final v Dublin had a lot to do with it the arrival of Paul Murphy, did not realise there was an issue with Alan Geoghagan you could say he was lucky to be there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Lads, sorry to bother ye but I was wondering if you could could help me out. What's the story with playing football in the County? I'm a Danesfort man but the last time I lined out for them would have been nearly twenty years ago as a young fella. I've always wanted to give football a go, rugby being my sport of choice, but there's not much information available online. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Are you still in Danesfort? Realistically it's a winter sport here but depending on scheduling games could be played on a weeks notice so it's not very organised. Just touch base with your local club secretary and express your interest in playing. 2021 season will probably be played in November and December once the hurling wraps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Thanks very much. I'll contact the club like you advised. November and December sounds ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

See Sheedy has gone from Tipperary he saw his time was up pity our man would not follow suit for the sake of kilkenny hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Richie power

Taggy

Richie o Neill

Gorta

And a few more all involved with development squads since last year curtailed because of covid but a good move

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Maybe Liam Cahill will go in now - it's like a jig-saw. People move, then others more because of that move. Maybe Cahill wants another year with the Deise.

Hard to know about Cody or more importantly, who will step up? I think, in senior inter-county management, managers can 'pick' their next job i.e. wait and see approach, then go with a team that has potential.

Who will 'pick' the KK job, if and when Cody goes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Any word on when the Club league/ championships fixtures will be finalised and announced

And what's the story with numbers allowed to attend them?

Will they be streaming any games this year like last year?

Advertisement