Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Not going to lie. I don't like that team at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭blackcard

Not sure why Blanchfield isn't starting. He may or may not be make it but we are not going to find out by sitting him on the subs bench

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I'm guessing padraig is listed corner back because most teams play with 2 inside. I know Laois were poor but he was listed corner back and played on the half back line and getting up with the attack. Lyng obviously thinks there's a kick left in buckley,Padraig and foggy.They might not be 70 mins players but he will be hoping they will be able contribute later in the year.Their experience should help the younger lads. Cian Kenny at half back is different and management are trying to different things which is important although as we know by now numbers and positions don't mean a whole lot.i would like to see Corcoran and blanchfield tried.It's good to see Paddy mullen and hopefully Ronan Corcoran will get a run sunday.

John Donnelly is getting a few games at 11. He has being a good sub for us at times but we really need him to nail down a spot. He was excellent for about 50 mins against Laois before tiring and getting replaced. Dublin still have good defenders and this will be a good test for drennan who has being very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

That half backline doesn't inspire. I assume Fogarty will slot back and Kenny will move into midfield. Not a fan of Kenny been shunted around so much, thought he did well as a midfielder last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

I've great time for Padraig but they just seem to be trying to fit him in somewhere at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

That Kilkenny team is severly lacking pace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭kk.man

I really delighted for Joey (club pofy) after all those years. Some achievement. If I were him I'd call it a day. Nice high to go out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Well deserved..I don't know him personally but by all accounts is one of the nicest men you could meet..fantastic club hurler..very good county hurler that got a bit of a raw deal after the 2016 final..I always felt he was made a scapegoat after that when our problems were further out the field

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

If the plan is to put kenny out to midfield and let Fogarty slot back wing back why start that way? Unless he is trying to make a wing back out of Kenny? Don't get blanchfield not starting. Unless something is wrong with his form he is going to be wing back come championship so give him the game time. Now is the time to get Kenny settled into whatever position he thinks works best. Moving him around from midfield to wing forward and back to wing back is not ideal. Come championship it looks like either Fogarty or buckley will take a wing back slot with reid and blanchfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Wow. Guys have a read of Derek McGrath in the Irish Examiner today. He's back and he's doubling down on the crazy.

He talks about the 'handpass' rejecting criticism of the modern 'throw'. He talks of how the modern fast handpass is an amazing skill. I quote :'To dismiss this unique skill as a throw is to do a disservice to the players of this generation'. You gotta read it.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Kenny to play as a loose ball merchant I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭conor05

I would say Lyng is giving Buckley, Fogarty and Walsh chances against Dublin etc.

The 3 of them can’t start in a championship match as they don’t have the pace they once had.

I thought there was only a league final this year? Top team from 1A and 1B. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'm near certain there's semi finals. Tipp will top our group and meet the 2nd in the other group which could be limerick and cork will probably top that group and will probably meet ourselves or waterford. If we were to get to the final we would be playing 4 weeks in a row.

Regarding our team tomorrow the only suprise is Kenny wing back but I certainly wouldn't be minding team selections and positions.The day of players in their selected positions is gone years.I think waterford had about 5 changes from the team on the programme and it makes a mockery of the whole thing and something has to be done. The supporters should at least know what players they will see a few days out and not 10 minutes before throw in.

Hopefully Delaney can stay injury free and get a few games and hold down a spot.Himself Donnelly and that group are about 5 years on the panel.Pace could come against him. It was definitely interesting lyng playing Lawlor on the the half back line in that fundraiser against Tipp. He's probably the best full back in the country now but it was a bit of thinking outside the box.The full forward Considine has got a few goals for dublin.

I think Donal Burke got 7 or 8 points from play against Tipp and I'd be suprised if he isn't tightly marked if he starts because he is their danger man. The drop of rain could make a few of our lads a bit quicker and I do agree it does appear to lack pace. Dublin have done well despite losing about 10 players. It won't be easy but we should be getting a win and hopefully get a good performance from mullen and drennan.

I think you're right re semi finals. If we can get a convincing win today and perfom well and win against waterford that should give lyng a platform to tune his 15 for a league semi final v Cork or Limerick. We certainly have depth in our forwards but we are thin enough from 2-7.

Tommy walsh

Lawlor

Butler

Blanchfield

Reid

P walsh/buckley/fogarty

9 points up at halftime. Our accuracy has been really good, we haven't had too many wides and only dropped one or two short. Drennan has been excellent both from frees and from play. Other forwards haven't been as good especially Keoghan. We haven't had a sniff of a goal chance. Defence has done well mostly. Padraig Walsh has been very good, he's winning most of his battles and is covering a huge amount of ground. Delaney has been turned a bit too easily at times. Dublin have had the better goal chances but haven't done a huge amount else in attack.

Reasonable performance today. Billy drennan an asset , whether from placed balls or open play. Mossy not really in the game. Eoin Cody tried hard and came out with 2-02. Billy Ryan, donnelly and deegan put in a good effort but I thought dublins half back line dominated in the air, especially in the 2nd half. Mullen decent at midfield. Don't know what is wrong with blanchfield that he only came on the last 10 minutes for an injury to Buckley. Cian kenny played the whole match wing back. Maybe there's something in this. Delaney at full back cleared a lot of ball but to be honest doesn't have the pace or mobility required for the full hack slot come championship.

If its lyngs intention to have richie hogan play a part in the championship then he would have brought him on with 15 to go when we were 13 points up.

I know lawlor and butler will slot in the full back line. We absolutely need them there. Not sure how he wants to work the half back line or midfield either. Maybe paddy mullen and either buckley or Fogarty. Padraig walsh did well today. 2-25 a decent score v dublin butore urgency required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

What do I know.

I liked that performance today mostly and like how we originally set up with Mullen and Fogarty anchored in midfield / our own 65 allowing the half back line and PW bomb forward as they wanted.

Drennan is ridiculously accurate. Hard to see him dropped.

Only negatives I can see:

We overuse the diagonal ball when there are clear options and space down the line.

Our inside line movement is still a bit basic. Multiple times where Cody, Mossy and Ryan were too slow to move into space when the half back like had the ball or worse the defender was out in front of them.

Eoin Murphys distribution is way off the likes of Quaid. Its not even his accuracy, he just doesn't see it.

Would've liked to see Blanchfield get longer.

All in all though a very good performnce in my opinion.

Who was on co commentary on kclr today? Robbie something I think..sounds like Eddie brennan .just curious

• Advertisement

Happy with that performance and result for the most part. Would agree with JJ that we overuse the diagonal pass, it was very obvious at times today that the players weren't looking where they were hitting it as they hit into space where there was no Kilkenny player. But there was some good running moves and a healthy mix of long and short passing. Drennan was excellent and I don't see how he can be dropped to the u-20s. Eoin Cody was clinical with his goals, he needs to stay close to the goal as I don't think he's quick enough to play in the half forwards. Deegan was really good when the play broke down at bit in the 2nd half, he hit some good scores and his run set up the 1st goal. His versatility is also a plus. Padraig Walsh also had a great game, he covered some amount of ground and got on the ball a lot. Delaney's mobility is a problem, he gets turned way too easily. Goalkeeper is a tricky decision based on puckouts, Brennan's were much better than Murphy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

From https://scoreline.ie/big-game-live-kilkenny-v-dublin-allianz-hurling-league-division-1b-round-4/

We were in the stands as always with Brendan Hennessy and Michael Walsh on duty for KCLR along with the Scoreline sports team to bring you all the action from the fourth round of this year’s Allianz Hurling League Division 1B fixture.

Thanks but there was a 3rd lad there too speaking from time to time..

Robbie Dowling from muckalee I think is the guy on kclr.

Kk were very good in the 1st half particularly putting up a good score and no wide. Dublin must be said were poor and drove some very bad wides especially after half time.

We are definitely trying to work the ball better but some of the ball coming out of our defense to the attackers was very poor. This along with puckouts will hopefully be worked hard on as the year goes on. A win or draw next week would give us a semi final against cork which would be no harm before the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

An encouraging performance.

Far more positives than negatives but 4-5 players are still being picked or brought on that are clearly either finished or never will make serious inter county players.

Disappointed Gearoid Dunne didn’t get a run, I saw little point in bringing in Walter at HT yesterday. We were all but certain to win at that stage so surely it makes sense to bring on someone we need to get a good look at. We know what to expect from Walter, the odd rampaging run, a bit of disruption and (sadly) woeful accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Leaving aside whether Wally is or isn't up to championship hurling he caught more ball than most. If only we had a player, or two, near him to take the pass and not force him to shoot himself. He replaced Mossy who was clearly off form. Wally was way more involved when he came on.

Any news on C Buckley's injury? He was having a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

Who's never going to be a serious inter County player in your view??

Kilkenny were very efficient yesterday and done to a very poor Dublin what we have been doing for a good number of games against them now. Yes the likes of Cillian buckley was very good yesterday but Dublin were so poor that it's hard to read an awful lot into it. Delaney got turned easily for the goal but I'd stick with him as he's not back hurling that long, definitely has plenty to offer. Obviously Huw Lawlor is best full back not even that we have but in the game too so hopefully he will be back soon.

I did not expect Drennan to hit the ground running the way he has, accuracy is out of this world. His attitude clearly top notch.

Keoghan usually has a good response after a poor game so you'd hope even if he didn't start next weekend that he'd make some bit of an impact.

If James Bergin gone from panel is true another dissapointment as he looked really good 2 years ago but maybe confidence may have been a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Any word on Eoin Murphy, he took a fair whack before half time??

Or Conor Browne or James Maher? Are they gone completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Browne is hurling in Australia, he won't be back anytime soon.

• Advertisement

I agree with the game over at half time I would of liked to have seen dunne getting a run but Darren Brennan and blanchfield were kinda forced substitutes. It was good to see Clifford and Corcoran getting a run. I thought Johnny Murphy was a bit hard on dublin at times although it didn't affect the result.Blanchfield and Kenny won't buy them frees in the summer. I'd like to think our lads don't dive but refs are rightly clamping down on players coming out with with their hands up trying to buy frees.Players will be blown for steps.

We didn't learn much from last sunday we won by 11 we could of won by 21 but it was a good performance.Waterford look to be down a good few through injury and suspension and maybe Davey will want to keep his nose dry till the championship so he will. Id expect a reaction from waterford. A win or draw against them will give us a home semi final against cork. I'm sure lyng would take another match before the championship.We have being lucky we haven't picked up many injuries like other teams.

It's unrealistic to expect Billy drennan to keep giving man of the match performances but he has being excellent so far. He will hopefully be a big addition to our attack.Delaney has missed alot of hurling and he was caught at the wrong side for the goal but I'd definitely give him a few more matches. Huw and butler were more of a precaution and Adrian mullen should be nearly ready to come back.Scruff and Buckley won't be risked sunday if there's any doubt. Our puckouts and deliveries from defense will hopefully be worked hard on over the next few weeks. The goal we conceded came from a player trying to be too clever on the half forward line but we're trying something different so hopefully we get a good match this weekend and a win and a good home game against cork the following week.

Advertisement