Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

Don't know why you insist on keeping this going (other than you are probably used to just unadulterated praise on all aspects of Kilkenny hurling) as the facts are the facts.

Of course the pool of winners was narrower years ago when you had several big schools drawing players from far and wide. St Kieran's remain the most obvious remaining example of that type of school. Naturally they have become more successful because their obvious competitors have been removed since boarding stopped.

This was dealt with by me at length in a post about two weeks ago where examples of St Flannan's and St Coleman's were given with figures for the years before boarding stopped compared with the years after. They both fell off a cliff. The obvious beneficiaries are St Kieran's who essentially retain the advantage of pulling from far and wide. Funny how your arguments on behalf of St Kieran's are the very same ones I used to put some context on their success. You couldn't make that up.

St Kieran's are probably not going to be good enough to win it every year from now on but should win two out of three or something like that with such an advantage.

"Cheating" and "destroying the competition" are your own words by the way.

Now, could I suggest you act your age and forget about getting entrenched about schoolboys' hurling. Like I said, the facts are the facts. There really is no debate, just occasional denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Haven't bothered to read the last post but would respectfully suggest that the poster cops on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭blackcard

Be much better if everyone could just ignore Rosita, who is just a sad individual

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

You say "There really is no debate"????

And yet you suggest I grow up?

As for being entrenched in a supposed non level playing field in schoolboy hurling. Ok let's have a much weightier debate on the non level playing field at inter county hurling, I'd love to participate. And make sure to put "Impact of having a Billionaire sugar daddy bankrolling the team" down for discussion.

Failing that, I'm done with you.

Let it go and concentrate on your otherwise excellent posts.

• Advertisement

If you were to be specific about the actual impact of money on the inter-county championship rather than just implying stuff all the time it'd be interesting. I doubt you could sustain an argument for very long but would make an interesting read. Just be careful that, like the case of the Colleges' championship, you don't make an argument opposing the position you actually want to hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

"this was dealt with by me"..... Absolutely priceless.

Post edited by Charlie69 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Ah Rosita girl. The unpalatable reality for you is that Kierans are in another All Ireland. Maybe you should channel your obvious anger into a positive and get involved with your own school. I'm sure they'd benefit from your undoubted wisdom and hurling knowledge. I'm sure you're obvious charm would go down a storm with the players.

This is the post (4th March) where this was dealt with by me. Not quite sure why the claim is considered "priceless". This discussion has been had already. All over bar the personalised remarks.

"not sure why the claim is considered priceless"...... Lack of any insight maybe?

• Advertisement

No, no lack of insight. My points have been well-developed. I can assure you I know a good fleshed out evidence-based argument when I see it, and the one I posted on the 4th March is one.

To be honest, it's an easy argument to make as it's so obviously correct. There's no other credible interpretation of events. Yeah, St Kieran's will win the final. Of course, why wouldn't they when they have the pick of a county and then some. How could there possibly be lack of insight about that? It's like walking into a zoo and pointing out there are animals there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

To be fair the topic was dragged up needlessly again today by a Kilkenny poster rather than someone with a perceived agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Kierans will win tomorrow, that is without doubt. The way they went about getting this title though goes against the spirit of the game. At the end of the day it's merely a schools competition and not overly important in the grand scheme of things. This has been debated to death on here. Don't know why the teacher from Kieran's brought it up again.

Maybe but Rosita has a lot of form on here believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I know but i haven't seen anything that outlandish posted by them, by some of the reaction here you'd swear they claimed there's a doping programme in Kierans like the East Germans back in the day 😅

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

Yes but as I said there's a huge credibility issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

With respect, while accepting you are not the one making the accusations, I disagree that you think this is trivial. In my opinion, accusing a school of cheating (or at very least of bending the rules to create an uneven playing field) especially in an underage amateur sport is not trivial. In fact, there is not much worse you can do to an amateur team than tell them they are unsporting. It's an attempt to blacken St Kieran's achievements, past and present. And it's a well-worn path by many Munster people with Kilkenny's achievements at all levels, invariably there’s a "but what about" asterisk to try to diminish.

"Playing in Leinster, handy routes to finals, no football, get to play in Croke Park more often than other counties, Munster teams don't take All Ireland series as seriously as Kilkenny teams etc".

Taking a pot shot at Manchester City that they are playing with a loaded deck is probably fair game, aiming the same at Kilkenny teams isn’t.

You are the only one talking about "cheating" or "bending the rules". All that has been pointed out is that, given the context, St Kieran's winning the All Ireland is to be expected and should be the norm rather than the exception. What other school has players from 20+ clubs and, despite not being on any border (where it would naturally be expected), players from other counties? Their inevitable success in the competition is an unavoidable conclusion to any rational assessment of the situation.

Perhaps as a compensation for an inability to construct a credible counter-argument on the schools' issue (no criticism on that as there is no credible counter-argument) you now seem to trying to lash out on a broader canvass with the "handy route to the final", "no football", etc. Well, I suppose, if the cap fits etc., but that's a whole different debate. (Maybe we can have that discussion in a few months when Kilkenny are playing Laois and Westmeath while the rest of us are up to our oxters in actual competitive matches).

Anyway, I still await the Sugar-Daddy All Ireland winner thesis with bated breath.

You're up to your oxters in it alright, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

I really dislike the school hurling talk here usually because people obsess over Kieran's so much ignoring the other schools and that people think that Kieran's should be some sort of feeder team to the county panel when that should be the clubs role. People also ignoring that parents have far more other things on their mind other than hurling when deciding where the children go to school is another issue. But this current nonsense over where players who go to schools in Kilkenny and outside of Kilkenny are from and this Harty cup rubbish is by far the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Johnny Murphy having a stormer for Athenry so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

It was nice of Johnny to give us one there at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I don't remember many competitive games in munster last year..2 bad teams that would not have gotten out of ulster nevermind Leinster and 3 good teams..1 of which lost a non competitive semi final to a Leinster team

Congratulations to St Kierans. Another boost for Kilkenny hurling.

I've seen many posters here devoid of something to say and they scramble for words. Your own tactic is quite weird........just pick some random phrase from the post you are replying to and repeat it as if it somehow imbues your own silence with meaning. No idea what that's about.

Maybe you'd elaborate on the claim about the Ulster championship?

Won't be a cow milked in half of Leinster for at least 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

You're a very bitter person... I feel sorry for you.

Advertisement