Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Interesting observation and update on training .

Although we didn't perform well last Sunday we at least beat D Fitz's sweeper game. B Cody always struggled with it. I know we were thin on the ground with backs and I guess P Deegan had to be played there, but he once again demonstrated why he shouldn't be there. Management seemed to acknowledge that up to last Sunday, hopefully that's the end of it.

Billy Drennan at times looks caught up when chasing opponents in possession, it could be down to heavy training mentioned above.

C Kenny is struggling at present, but I'd expect him to bounce back soon.

I agree on G Dunne. Worked his socks off last Sunday and was very close to coming away with 4/5 points.

John Donnelly is flying and C Fogarty looks refreshed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Shocks12

If Fogarty was excellent last weekend it is all a cod. He is in great shape and a warrior etc but he did not play well last weekend. He hardly hit a ball. He can’t keep pace with runners. I have nothing against him and in 2014 he was exceptional his pace was unreal and his work rate but he is a pale shadow of that since 2017 he is on the decline which I don’t take any pleasure in saying but it is the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Ronan corcoran was on more possessions the few minutes he was on than Fogarty over the 70mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

To be fair now I never said he was on loads of possessions. He was stuck in every ruck and disrupting play and worked hard and chipped in with an important point.

I'm not saying he will get hurler of the year but God almighty I dunno if ye are brothers or what but kk have struggled since fennelly,rice,lyng etc retired but that doesn't mean Fogarty doesn't work hard ffs.Just cause he hadnt a load of possessions doesnt mean he played well. Every team needs workers. We all agree after 2016 he should of stepped up more but it wasn't just Fogarty that was the problem. Cody had tried nearly every single pairing In the county since 2016 and after last year 2022 we still haven't a clue of our best midfield pairing. The amount of scutter that goes on about Fogarty here. I dunno has anyone marked but anyone that has will tell you he's honest and hard working. We all accept he should of kicked on but there's no point going on and on and on about it after every single match.

The minors playing Laois this weekend. What kind of team do we have this year? Hopefully things go better than last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Patrick Lacey not even a sub?

Does anyone know what this group was like coming up along?

You've hit the nail on the head there for sure. Scutter sums it all up. And if you ask who should be there instead you won't get an answer. Sunday last was a day for honest effort, Fogarty typified that. Nobody is saying he's the answer going forward but in the meantime at least acknowledge the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Paul Murphy gave high praise to conor fogarty on the off the ball podcast this week..reckons he does a huge amount of unseen/unselfish work..breaking up play..settling things down etc..Murphy reckons he will start fot the championship..

Skehill on Davy was very interesting too..and accurate I'd say

Paddy Mullen will be the man to get in there and do that imo, himself and Adrian would be very good. We badly need at least one good hurler midfield. It has been our down fall since Mick Fennelly left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

To be fair the two boys are best mates so it's hardly an objective opinion out of Murphy.

Personally I think Conor is grand and should've started the AI last year. You need a defensive midfielder and theres no better man in the squad to spot the space in our backline and fill it. I couldn't give a **** if he never feels the weight of a ball in his hand. But as Village says you need a ball player beside him. I'd love that to be Kenny but he's playing himself off the team at this point. I can see why people want it to be Adrian but losing him from the half forward line is unacceptable. He'll rove back into his own half back line anyway but he has to start at 10 or 12.

Maybe Corcoran slots in there but doubt he's athletic enough so fine with it being Paddy Mullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Best of luck to minors but Ed Mc Dermott is a huge loss, and hearing word it might be a along term absence.

Anyone know whether minor or u20 matches will be screened or streamed anyhwere this year? We were spoiled during Covid with live coverage of so many matches in these grades.

His brother is a good replacement but Ed is a fantastic talent. Perfect fit for wing forward and fingers crossed he has a long inter county future ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'd say tg4 will stream them on youtube, they've been doing it with the schools so I would hope they do that anyway!

EDiT: i looked it up and they are streaming u20 matches but I don't see any minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Shocks12

Adrian Mullan is a better option alongside Cian Kenny grats there you go.

I personally have nothing against Conor Fogarty but from 2017 onwards he is seriously on the wane. He is stuck in rucks but what good is that if he hits one ball and players run around him.

I watched him closely in a club game last year in Ballyragget and I could pick two players on the opposing team who are better options now with pace.

Let's say, he admirably filled in for the absent A Mullen and the out of form C Kenny last Sunday.

I was in Nowlan Park when they played Tullaroan and he was exceptional.

Just to clarify I'm not saying he's a guaranteed starter but someone has to take his spot. You name drop Kenny there, but there's a reason he hasn't seen the second half in the two biggest games KK have played. Carey, Leahy, Maher and Browne all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Paddy Mullen was sent off in the county final. He should’ve gotten the line against Dublin. If Paddy wants to show us all how tough he is he needs to learn to take a belt. To get sent off for a deliberate strike at inter county level is essentially handing the game to the opposition. Adrian had a suspect temperament as an underage player but has channelled that aggression to powerful effect in his tackling. Fogarty mightn’t match Paddy for physicality but he’s got the intelligence and toughness to take one for the team. I don’t ever remember him getting sent off. Paddy Mullen has the attributes to make it at inter county level. Is he selfless enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KK v CK

E Murphy

M Butler T Walsh P Walsh

D Corcoran H Lawlor D Blanchfield

C Fogarty A Murphy

T Clifford J Donnelly P Deegan

B Drennan M Keoghan R Hogan

Subs

D Brennan

C Delaney

E Cody

D ONeill

D Dunne

R Corcoran

C Kenny

N Brennan

S Walsh

G Dunne

T Phelan

Precisely my point in my various posts - Lyng can only use the available fit players. He had up to 10 unavailable last Sunday out of a panel of around 30. If posters want to predict the championship starting 15, grand, but we're currently in the League with the players, including Fogarty, Buckley etc putting in an honest effort. Some won't be around next year. In the meantime, they deserve credit for being there for the younger players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Is Eoin Cody injured?

Both he and Billy Ryan went off injured last week

I know nothing other than that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

A lot of lads wanted to see Huw Lawlor centre back. He gets his chance there sunday. For me he's the best full back in the country but if he fares well there and Tommy goes well full back then we will see how it goes. Hopefully he goes well there. Nice to see hogan getting a start Sunday but with eoin Cody out along with others there are not a massive amount of options. Hoping for a dry day and a good test of where we're at. What's the situation with paddy mullen? Good to see Adrian mullen taking his time. No rush till championship. Same with TJ. Also Clifford has am opportunity to show what he has. A fine hurler and will have a big future with the seniora

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

Good to see Huw Lawlor and Mikey Butler back, championship is starting 4 weeks from tomorrow so time running out. Adrian Mullen and TJ will be very undercooked. I haven't a clue who is going to be goalkeeper, nor any single line of the team, I couldn't name even 1 of our midfielders. Saturday could be our last match before the championship starts so players will definitely be playing for places on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

I'm from Comer as the name implies, Castlecomer to outsiders, support Erin's Own. how about yourself??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I see TJ was having the craic the Croke Park yesterday with Roy Keane, Neville and Carragher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hogans heroes

Delighted to see richie named to start a game for kilkenny. Dont fancy delaney at all and hope tommy goes well at full back to allow hugh play at 6.like the look of the team for sunday and hope we can.progress so tj adrian and others may get some game time before championship .

Advertisement