Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Are the subs and extended panel members of the Kilkenny minors not being released to their clubs for the Monday night league games? Disappointing if so especially for the extended panel members who are getting no games so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

So take for example Kyle Hayes getting a ball on his own 45 and his marker knows if he fouls him there and then it will not result in a free shot on goal. As opposed to letting Hayes make another 20/30 metres before fouling or even popping it over himself. Where's the logic in that.? A wing back being punished for being athletic and attacking.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

it will be intresting to see how these go. There must be a few injuries and obviously the 3 lads are with the seniors. Niall Rowe,shine and padraig lennon are subs and denis Walsh is on the extendable panel along with Ben whitty and Bill Hughes.i thought maybe Killian Corcoran would be near this panel.The team would possibly look a lot different if this was knockout.With all these lads missing it should balance up things Saturday and Wexford should be fancy their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Realistically if ye were going full bore how many of that team would be starters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Niall Rowe played most Walsh cup senior and a few league matches and done well.

Padriag lennon and Harry shine started u20 last year.

3 lads with the senior drennan,dunne and Clifford.

Bill Hughes missed most of last year and was excellent for Saint kierans on their college win. Most people expected him to make the u20 team.

Ben whitty was fantastic particularly in the county final for danesfort.himself,shine and bill Hughes are in kierans and were kinda rushed back for the latter stages . I'm suprised Killian Corcoran isn't there he was excellent for the shamrocks.

To answer your question drennan,Clifford,dunne,rowe,shine,lennon,denis Walsh would be certain in my opinion. Nearly half a team not starting if thats correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

You are correct. I believe Rowe had been unwell for a time, Shine carrying a knock and Denis Walsh has been recovering from an injury for months. K Corcoran wasn't interested in coming in, is what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

For the game on Sunday don't see many changes from the last day. Maybe Reid in instead of Corcoran. And obviously Richie's out with the hand, so E Cody will start I presume. Happy to keep Tommy at full back and Lawlor at centre for this game anyway, see how that unfolds against the big guns.

Is Darren Mullen available for Sunday?

Adrian Mullen? I heard he and TJ may be on subs bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Anyone know what the story is with tickets for the match on Sunday? Wasn’t expecting it to be even close to a sellout but all the options on ticketmaster are the very edge and don’t seem great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Poor viewing in the park this afternoon. Can't too easily recall such a poor Kilkenny team at any level so lacking in all the basic skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Embarrassing,but that's not aimed at any of the young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Minors well beaten by Galway.

Galway looked like an u20 team, four or five of them were absolute giants, but they could hurl as well in fairness.

Our forwards were beaten to every ball all day, but the quality that was going in was awful. Scrappy 1st half was even and we went in just 3 pts down after playing in to a strong wind. Galway came out against the wind and just blew us away from the throw in.

Galway own us at this age level and play with huge confidence and even arrogance. Niland even twice went for goals from 21s (nailed one of them) just for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kilkenny minors were outclassed today. Physically it looked like men against boys. Tactically it looked like Galway had 2 extra players. Skillwise, there was a chasm between the sides. Dissappointing but lads tried their best

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

A couple of things to take from this evening.

Nothing we tried worked. We were 2nd to most balls but even when we got possession we couldn't work it out right.

It looked like boys against men a lot of the time. Galway were so much cuter in their play.

This Kilkenny team has more or less been hand picked over the last 3 or 4 years so our hurling at this level should be much better than what was shown this evening. I'm expecting a big reaction from here on in or we're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

How many of our team were on the Kierans All Ireland team? How many on the Galway team were on the Athenry team? That's a very poor showing from the minors. Hopefully our u20s will be our saving grace for the Senior team in years to come

How many of our team were on the Kierans All Ireland team? How many on the Galway team were on the Athenry team? That's a very poor showing from the minors. Hopefully our u20s will be our saving grace for the Senior team in years to come

Whatever it is Galway are streets ahead of most at minor level. Clearly, the gap closes at under 20 as the records over the last 5 years or so show. Galway won 4 All Ireland titles in a row at minor in recent years but three of those teams have not managed to win at under 20. Their under 20 team for this year is their fourth attempt to win at that level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

At a glance, no one on the Kilkenny team played for Kierans , while it looks like Galway had 4 Athenry players.

To show the difference a year or so can make, Aaron Niland (other than frees) wasnt a factor in AI schools final, but today at the younger minor age, he ran the whole show and tormented Kilkenny.

Given how early in year the minor championship is now played, only a handful of players are even 17, most are 16 and under. I think this is just too young, but irrespective, Galway churn out serious teams at this grade every year, and this one is no different.

Having said that, I do expect (hope?) Kilkenny will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KK v LIM

E Murphy

M Butler T Walsh P Walsh

R Reid H Lawlor D Blanchfield

C Fogarty P Deegan

J Donnelly A Mullen B Ryan

B Drennan M Keoghan E Cody

Subs

D Brennan

C Delaney

E Cody

C Buckley

D Corcoran

A Murphy

P Mullen

C Kenny

T Clifford

G Dunne

TJ Reid

Both Adrian and TJ on the team. I like the look of that team. Let's hope they don't have an off day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Galway set up for every Puck out with 4 just off midfield and 4 half backs and every Puck out was lorded down on them, the two corner backs were left open for short Puck outs but were ignored until the last minutes of the game. I really thought things would change at half time but it seems management and whoever didn't notice these things. They moved players all over the pitch in the second half trying to rescue a dead duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Very strong team. Options of the bench too to really change it up tactically. Wonder will TJ come on? If there's a chance to win it, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Niland looks like a player with a high ceiling, your point is very understandable as schools hurling is essentially u19, around those age's every year makes a big difference, what really showed this for me was watching the 2020 u17 AI final between Kilkenny and Galway which was played in the summer of 2021 due to the covid lockdowns therefore an u18 game at that point, the extra year of physical development and maturity was so obvious to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Aside from TJ and possibly paddy mullen or alan Murphy in midfield this will be as close to our championship starting 15 as we've had so far. Great test coming tomorrow and hopefully we can compete well and execute a plan to contain and exploit Limerick. Not going to be easy but lyng will see 1st hand where we're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

2 very strong teams named..I really like lawlor at 6..he is arguably our best/most consistent hurler and should have more influence on games out there. Excellent delivery of ball and calmness..blanchfield has savage potential too..I'm glad drennan is playing tomorrow ..he was instrumental in getting us to.the final so deserves a chance to test himself against the best ..probably does need another year to get physically stronger but has earned his opportunity I think

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

Like everyone else delighted to see KK go with a really strong team, Hopefully it doesn't take Adrian Mullen too long to get up to the pace of things after a good period out.

You would think it's possibly only Wally and Richie Hogan to come back into our strongest 26 but we'll see come championship time if that's the case. Limerick have a very strong team named with only Tom Morrissey left out of what I would see as their best 15. Mike Casey definitely the weak link in their backline that was showed a few times last year. Dan Morrissey is a much calmer and steadier full back for them I feel.

Best of luck to everyone I think we can give them plenty of it and possibly sneak a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Anyone at the u20 game today ?

Advertisement