Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Redflag88

Danny Glennon being dropped surely upset a lot of people but he wasn’t the only player to be unfairly dropped this year. I agree Adam O’Connor should be on that team. Coming back from severe injury to play as well as he is proves all the hard work and dedication. Being recognised for your achievements is always outstanding but clearly hard work means nothing to some U20 selectors. It’s hard to stand by and watch amazing players be cast aside when they have fought to be there. I genuinely think U20 management need to sit down and think about where they are going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Redflag88

Couldn’t agree more. So many hard working outstanding players are being over looked and it’s so hard to stand on the sideline and watch teams be let down by the people who should be there to help them win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

It's a mess.

Am I right in saying this U20 management have played one competitive game this year so far? Because there seems to be a lot of people trying to stick a knife in very quickly which screams to me they have a bit of history with one or more of them. I say that whilst acknowledging that it was surprising Glennon and Lar Murphy from Tullogher were both left off the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Tullogher/Rosbercon were hammered in the first round of the Junior championship last year. That could be part of the reason they are not involved, if you are not doing it for your club on the big days there is no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

👍👍👍👍

Post edited by oconnol1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

A match Danny Glennon did not play in as he was sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Marrooned

As Oddball said in “Kelly’s heroes” what’s with the negative vibes man. Just a few years ago a chap from the Deep South was the outstanding player at minor level when it came to the county team he couldn’t hack it at all and was substituted early. We are not privy what goes on in training and how players are performing . So we must have confidence in the management team till it’s proven otherwise. Ray Heffernan was an outstanding player but couldn’t make an impact on the county team also Sam Carroll from the bridge and several more besides .

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭KK36

Oh God no it’s really simple. Danny Glennon was dropped off the u20s because Brian Cody didn’t like the fact that he plays snooker for the Boro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

The Kilkenny Under 20 team to play Galway on Saturday has been announced. Mark Dowling decided as Danny Glennon is so brilliant that he's just sending him up to face Galway.

Post edited by Grats on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

What a gob shite if you can’t see that the future of kilkenny hurling was being looked after by someone that never played in a game of hurling and you want to know why kilkenny squads were failing

If you can’t see that Brian Cody since fogarty left his decisions and picking of players for kilkenny were favouring village players just go back to the midfield last year

his record since fogarty left is so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I think we all agree Danny Glennon is a very good hurler and is good enough for the 20 panel but theres no point going on and on about it here.Does anyone know the real story why he isnt in or are people guessing?I don't know why he isn't on the panel. I wouldn't know the chap but I was told he was injured and wouldn't be back in time. Could he of being brought in and done his recovery while being involved with the group? Absolutely he could of .Management have decided to plan without him for this year. Hopefully he will get a good run with the club and show the management what they're missing and will come back stronger next year.

I've heard a good few people giving out and when i seen the team and squad last Saturday if he was FIT he definitely was better than some players that went to Wexford and that's no disrespect to anyone. Couldnt really use the excuse it would be unfair on lads that have trained since last October to bring in a lad a few weeks ago because the 3 senior lads and rowe missed alot of u20 training and also had kierans run in the middle of that.

it was a suprise to see galway lose last weekend. Dublin finished strong and pipped them at the finish.The real hurling at u20 doesnt start for a few weeks.Denis walsh was near back and pulled his hamstring so he's gone for another few weeks.The 3 senior lads returned to u20 training the other night so they should be a big help Saturday for the galway match. Management will have learnt from that disappointing defeat.

A few of the fowards struggled.i know Zac bay came on for ttown in the fowards and played u21 in attack last year but i dont see that working here at county level. I thought he might be better suited as a sticky corner back. He has missed out in a few years so maybe he needs more hurling. Eoghan lyng never played corner back in his life that was a bizarre decision. He will probably be further out the field. The two goals conceded came from defensive errors. I'd expect a good few changes and positional changes this weekend.

Post edited by brookville on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Yep,

Random posts without quoting who they are replying to!

(and where are all these new accounts coming from !?? 🤔 )

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Todd_UnctiousGael

Watched the league final back again. In terms of puck outs the quality of short ones were particularly poor and long ones had snow on them.

From what I've seen Brennan's short puck outs looked good and trajectory on longer ones are lower than Murphy's. Is there a case to be made to change GK?

Think we have twins or triplets on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

It's a bad sign when you need extra accounts to give your posts the thumbs up 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Good to see the lads at their own age grade.

Agreed. Hopefully they gel together - if not tomorrow, then at least when it comes to knockout.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Whatever about who is/isn't. Should/ shouldn't he there ,to me that looks a very strong team...Best of luck to them

Maybe lyng and dowling have an agreement but Mark is in a sticky enough position if he doesnt know who he has until a week or so before a senior match. I think the few lads should be left concentrate on the u20 for a few weeks and hopefully they go well and could be options later in the year.

Not suprised to see eoghan lyng at 6 he isn't a corner back for sure.He will be much better suited to 6. The two lads on the wings definitely aren't as quick running towards their own goal.

Galway drove something like 19 wides last week. The few lads they have on their senior panel are also listed tomorrow. Liam Collins caused us huge problems last year and looks to be a great prospect for them. I'd expect niall Rowe to pick him up.Hopefully they can get denis walsh back soon he has being unlucky with injury and has missed a lot of hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Todd when kiely was asked what part of limericks game he was not happy with he said that they did not cope well with the short puck out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny lacked pace in the backs last week, Langton, Fitzpatrick, Lyng and Purcell all seem to lack a bit of pace. Best of luck to all involved today. Very interesting match today with Kilkenny at full strength

Post edited by Village87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

What a game.

We tore Galway asunder in 2nd half (admittedly they lost their centre back late in 1st half, and if it's long term, will be a huge blow for Galway).

5 goals and could have been 7 at least as Galway keeper pulled off two absolute blinders.

Full back line was under pressure all day long as Molloy and Collins tormented them.

Drennan wasn’t just great from frees and points from play, his vison was terrific too. Shine good in parts, Gearoid Dunne stormed into it after a very quiet 1st half. Killian Doyle excellent. Paddy Langton pick of backs for me

A badly needed lift for Kilkenny hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

Senior players obviously making a massive difference on things, I assume we are playing Dublin best weekend?? Hopefully the senior players will be left with 20s now so they can have a good run at things in Leinster and hopefully beyond, Tiernan Killeen going off was a big loss for them but Kilkenny made full use of that for their benefit. We have a strong panel there if we can get the most out of everyone there.

Dublin had a comprehensive win over Wexford today and will be on a high after winning 2 games in a row.

A strange game that probably had a challenge feel to it at times but A good win after a very poor last weekend. It was definitely a game of 2 halves galway with the wind threatened a few times In the 1st half to pull away and kk hung in like they mostly do. A fortuitous penalty and drennan meant we were happy to be only 3 points down at half time.

Galway kinda fell asunder when Tiernan kileen went off and Clifford came much more involved and we cut them open several times and if not for their goalie could of had 7 or 8 goals.Despite kk dominance in the 2nd half Galway got it back to 3 points near the end and a mistake gave hacket a simple goal. Galway also had a few goal chances they should of got.

Kk will be happy with their senior players where as a few of galway senior players weren't as good. Liam Collins again caused us bother and he does look a good talent but after the few very good minor teams galway had these players haven't progressed the way they would of liked.

It's still early enough and I'd expect kk and galway to meet again but it was a good win today and will give everyone a bit of confidence. Kk play dublin before the Westmeath match next Saturday. Derek McGrath is involved with dublin and his style is visible with alot of off the shoulder running.They have two good wins under their belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I wouldn’t be a big fan of Mc Grath but the transformation in the Dublin U20 team from minor 3 years ago is very impressive. Dublin wouldn’t have got within 20 points of Galway at minor in 2020.

I think minor (especially since move to u17) is fast becoming a barometer for nothing as regards senior. Reminder: Limerick haven’t won a minor AI in 39 years. Dublin have won just one minor football title in the same period. the big move with potential senior players is taking place at 18-21.

Look at the huge leap players like Finn, Hegarty, Flanagan,Gillane, Byrnes, the Caseys, Morrisseys and both midfielders all made from minor to u21. Gillane couldn’t even make the 24-man squad from the 2014 minor final. The majority of this current great Limerick team lost to average enough Galway and Kilkenny minor teams in 2013 and 2014, 2-3 years later and it was a different show altogether.

There is much chat on here about "development squad" deficiencies, and there may well be, but for me, the real gap that is developing in serious inter county senior set ups is happening with the hugely professional 18–21-year-old development.

I wouldn't be writing off Galway just yet as we're still in the round robin section. They last won the minor all Ireland in 2020 beating Kilkenny by 3 points. They had also won the previous 3 titles but haven't managed to win at under 20.

This backs up a lot of what Alonzo Moseley has posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Just to throw in my tuppence worth. I think these academies take over young people’s lives from 12 to 17 years of age, when this comes to its conclusion the rug is pulled from under these youngsters.they all go there separate ways, college etc.so the comradeship is gone this I think cost Cork and Galway in particular. Congratulations to the management and players involved in the u20 win today I thought Galway were going to steamroll them in the first half, I didn’t realize the wind had such a bearing on the game and at the turnaround we took over and looked devastating at times.tired now talk more tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Kk seniors went to cork this weekend for a few days. Hogan and wally will be out for a few more weeks anyway.

Not much talk here after the u20 win here. The usual suspects don't come out unless it's a defeat.

No one is going to get carried away after the u20 match yesterday and galway will definitely be dangerous in a knockout match. We conceded alot and the full back line looked ropey at times. These are only warm up games before the knockout starts In a few weeks but it should be a confidence booster.

It will be intresting to see what happens over the next few weeks with the lads but I think they should be left with the 20s. .Last weekend was a sobering experience for management and players. I'd be disappointed if we don't get a bounce especially for the galway match in two weeks time.Some of our players form have being very dissapointing and inconsistent.

Advertisement