Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

If Wexford go down how long before there are calls for 4 qualifiers from the fabled Munster championship and 2 from leinster like John fogarty last year in the examiner ,when the fourth team waterford only managed 1 win against the fifth team

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

It does read initially in the article like it's a ban from training also, but from the reading of the rule printed below that, it looks only to be game/match specific.

That'd be very harsh if it was the case, and impossible to police I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

So if Galway win or draw, they are in the Leinster final alongwithKilkenny. If Dublin win and Kilkenny win, it will be a Dublin Kilkenny final. If Dublin win and Kilkenny lose, Dublin would have to beat Galway by 4 points to qualify for a Leinster final against Kilkenny.

I don't understand why Dublin don't play their home matches in Parnell Park, always thought it was a tricky place to get a result

Post edited by blackcard on

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Will br interesting to see who Lyng selects sunday. Its a dead rubber for kilkenny but a chance to see more players while also wanting to put a marker down and put in a good performance. It won't be easy but a win is very important for the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

The talk was dublin haven't the physicality of a few years ago so that's why they picked croke Park over parnell but galway will be very comfortable in croke Park. I'd be suprised if Dublin beat galway.

Sunday Is a great match for lyng. Wexford beat kk last year after their draw with Westmeath. I know they've gone back since then and have injuries but id be shocked if they don't come with a performance sunday. Kevin foley didn't start last wknd which was strange but he will probably set up as sweeper. It will be intresting to see what have we learned about playing against a sweeper.

Make no bones about it kk will want to try put Wexford down and not go into a leinster final after a defeat. I'd like to see the core team starting with a few changes. I'd like to see tallis in goal, Delaney or someone like that at 6 not buckley or padraig. Kenny,Murphy and drennan could also do with game time.

Wexford have struggled the last few matches with route one so I'm sure management will have looked at this.This is a huge game for wexford and alot of their senior players have alot of milage. Davey had them at such a high tempo it's just not sustainable.

Someone said earlier kk could face something similar as Wexfords regression but Infairness kk are much more consistent than Wexford. Imagine what Leinster would be like without galway? Kk going for 4 in a row despite limited underage success.Wexford rise it massively for kk but struggle In the games they're suppose to win. It will be intresting to see how we get on against a sweeper sunday because we're very slow to figure it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Are Limerick showing the signs Kilkenny were showing in 2013.just not fluid with marquee players performing below the level you would expect. HOTY's being routinely substituted and discipline being a issue also.if Limerick are to win this all Ireland they will have to beat

Cork

Offaly/carlow

Loser of lenister final

Kilkenny/Galway

Then simi against

Clare or Tipp

Just to get to a final

It seems a big ask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

At this rate it wont be long before the 4th team in Munster plays the 3rd in Leinster for a place in the 1st Round.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

IMO its time for the AI to be an open draw round robin. The issue seems to be the Munster and Hurling provisionals. I would run them at the start of the year instead of the league. The winner would get 2 points and runner up 1 point going into the AI series. This would help to keep them competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

The round robin works for Munster, but not so much for Leinster in my view. I think Leinster needs a bit more danger in it, it's just a bit too predictable at the moment (though Westmeath have tried their best to shatter that illusion).

I'd much prefer to see 8 teams in Leinster, but in 2 groups of four.

Top of each group to the Leinster SF's, 2v3 of opposite groups in the Leinster QF's, and the two bottom teams into a relegation playoff. Leinster QF's would be straight knockout, with the losers gone for the year. Both losers of the SF's would go to a playoff on the week before the Leinster Final, with the loser out of the championship and the winner playing the Munster finalists in the AIQF.

You wouldn't need to add an extra weeks either, it would take only 5 games max to get to the final which is what we have now, only we'd have seven knockout matches in Leinster overall instead of one.

It would probably mean the end of the Joe McDonagh or amalgamating that with the Christy Ring though, and whether that's fair is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

The usual bs. Make all changes in leinster but leave the sacred Munster championship alone a championship that excludes the sixth Munster county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

The issue with Leinster ATM is that you have 3 tiers . KK and Galway are that bit ahead of Wex and Dub and then you have Westmeath and Antrim. If you add 2 more teams they will just add to the third tier. In Munster you have4 teams that are competitive with waterford struggling a bit at the moment. So its hard how to make the whole champioship more appealing but keeping it in the cureent format is not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

It's not BS at all.

The round robin does work for Munster, but in Leinster it's become predicatble. If we're to maintain the provincials, I'd like something that works better for Leinster than the current format. And a little bit of knockout hurling for me would add a bit more to it.

The obvious for me if we were starting from scratch is a 12 team senior league, 12 team intermediate league and 11 team Junior league with the top two to the AISF's and the next four to the AIQF's, with one team promoted/relegated, with a separate cup competition based on the provincial setup.

But if we're maintaining the provincials as part of the championship, go with what's best. Munster can do what they want, but I'd prefer to see a bit more danger and knockout in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I'd have to so say I'm a bit confused and slightly worried about how we've been going this year. I was understanding in the early phases of the league as I'd heard we hadn't done a huge amount if any hurling. I'm not seeing a huge improvement in the execution in our style of play, not that it's that radical anyway. I suppose given the opposition we haven't had to be at any great heights but in the Galway game we faded badly in the last five minutes and likewise against Dublin even though the victory was secure. I'm hoping they'll be able to move through the gears from here on out.

I'm concerned about Murphs puckouts I thought these would improve but it doesn't seem to be working and as others have pointed out he puts snow on any long balls. Even a lot of his short puckouts though are at lads shins and ankles which makes them messy his accuracy is really poor, which I excused previously and blamed possible mixed messages from the sideline last year however it looks like it's just not in his locker at this stage. Another small gripe is the fact that for the last few years he nearly always has the sub keeper bring his goalie bag out to the goal.

The full back line seems to be going well although Butler and Walsh have looked a little caught at times. I have faith this can be tightened up, Lawlor has been his usual rock of stability back there. Blanchfield is progressing and I'd be confident that he can handle most of what will be thrown at him. Richie Reid while a great player leaves the middle too open for me but he gives great ball forward most of the time. It'll be interesting to see who replaces him on Sunday. Corcoran is a hard one, I think he can do a good job for us and he's big and strong and surprisingly quick to run but poor to turn. Would be interesting to see Mikey Carey come into that line on Sunday or will Conor Delaney get a deserved shot.

I heard Paddy Mullen should be fit again so hopefully he can relieve Adrian back to the half forward line and while Deegan did well in the second half against Dublin and it's his first match back after injury. I'm not 100% on him in the midfield, I think he causes teams far more headaches as a half forward.

The current half forward line of Phelan, Donnelly and Billy Ryan won't terrify too many defences. Phelan is a strong lad and a good hurler and did lots of dirty work and tracking against Dublin probably at the cost to his own game but I'm not sure he has the touch when the pressure is on. Billy Ryan is probably better being further out from goal and getting to run at defences and he's getting a better return than previous years but is it enough. Donnelly is finally lasting full games and he's touches are just sublime a little more accuracy in front of the posts or letting a few balls inside for forwards and he could really punish teams. He's getting through huge amounts of work every day and I'm delighted for him and Kilkenny that he seems to have his breathing issues sorted.

The full forward line of Mossy, TJ and Cody should be terrifying but we're providing no goal threat whatsoever except against Antrim. When we've had chances to go at goal and create a goal chance we've been far too comfortable taking an easy point. There seems to be little to no appetite to try create a goal chance and to be honest it's very hard watch. Mossy is a trier who looks very awkward but he has some lovely touches and a great eye for goal too, he's fierce strong but not the fastest over the ground. Cody is starting to play well and is doing better than he was earlier in the year but he's not completely bossed a game yet this year which he is capable of doing. Much and all as it pains be to say it, it's really starting to look like TJ is finished, any speed he had last year is totally gone and any balls hit either side of him he can't get to first. If we're hitting in the ball to TJ it has to be at him. The touches and the brain are still there but the speed and agility just seem to have fallen off a cliff. Maybe/hopefully he can get it back before the end of the year but it's not looking good so far.

Walter in fairness to him did well the last day and this roll of 25-30 minutes could suit him well.

I'm just hoping we're ticking along in 3-4 gear and we can shift gears and up it which I'm sure they will but the lack of goal chances on most days now is really concerning as I don't think thats something you can just flick a switch and start lashing in goals. I assume there being told to just tap them over the bar and not go for goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

One concern for me on Sunday is that we keep our head screwed on - both in how we play technically (in contrast to the match last year) but also how we deal with probation - because we’re going in against a team who are desperate and has nothing to lose. A red card would be a serious problem in this shortened season so we better be conditioned mentally for some serious provocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kilkenny has named the same team as the last day, but have to wait and see if that is the team that starts

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

This will be the best game of the weekend I reckon. Wexford will throw the kitchen sink at us in front of a huge home crowd to avoid relegation to Joe mc donagh and I won't be one bit surprised if they beat us. Tipp will beat a Waterford team that's going through the motions of fulfilling a fixture, a dead rubber if you will, and cork will fold like a cheap suit when Limerick pile on the pressure and pile it on they will. Great champions do when their backs are to the wall and I fully expect Limerick to win this game well. Like em or loath em they are a great team. They are wobbling though and there are better teams than cork this year that might knock them out. Will it be us I don't think so at the moment, I'll wait until after the Leinster final to assess where we are. I think Galway could be the team to do it this year personally. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

Presume that won't be the starting 15. Would be very risky to play Richie Reid if he picked up an injury last weekend.

On another note is the Senior Football Final on tomorrow? Kilkenny Gaa website says it's half five in Nowlan but I've seen nothing from the clubs or on the Counties social media that confirms the date. Even the ticket link put up only mentions the Junior Final at Seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Neewollah

I believe the Senior Football final is off. A wedding within one of the clubs or something

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Well done Carlow. Up the constituency.

Fair play to both teams. I thought offaly would pip it when they went a point up with a minute or so left but in fairness to carlow they stuck with it and held out. Great effort from both teams. It wasn't top quality but carlow will need to try and get a few scalps next year in the leinster championship. Offaly I've no doubt will be back in the leinster championship before long where they belong as it needs more teams upping the level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Yes, the Offaly carry on in throwing their last match against Carlow certainly backfired badly on them. Laois felt hard done by so I imagine they'll be smiling now.

Well done Carlow. Thought Offaly would win handy in extra time but Carlow were having none of it. Great match.

Another feather in tom mullalys bow today. He's been very successful wherever he's been

Munster hurling me arse. It was some game with great intensity

• Registered Users Posts: 5 amber_black

Was Tom Mullally (proven wherever he goes) ever involved in or asked into the Kilkenny senior set up . Kilkenny senior club even?

Has a very decent cv behind him. Multiple successes at different levels.

He was involved with Naas, mount leinster rangers, who he got to an all ireland club semi final and won a senior club championship with clara.

Not sure if he's ever been asked to get involved with the inter county setup.

Wasn’t ever asked but I thought it was mentioned that he should have taken the minor or the U21 job a few years back but it came to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I think he was suppose to go to tullaron about 2 years ago but he was also with nass so that wasnt going to work. He won club all Ireland's with Clara and Glenmore. He was involved with our minors years ago that wasn't successful but that has being a trend a long time now

He has won silverware in Wicklow,carlow and Wexford. I've spoken to lads who hurled under him and they have nothing but high praise for him. He is very meticulous and always has his homework done. Something should be done to get him involved Wit kk at some level.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 upnorth

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭conor05

Agreed, Tom has had quite a lot of success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭conor05

There is a right standard of hurling in that Joe McDonagh cup.

I saw Kerry v Antrim last year and it was another excellent final.

The McDonagh is probably the most competitive competition the GAA have at present, nearly all the teams have beaten eachother on any given day.

Advertisement