Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

This is great news and will probably be for matches mostly in nowlan Park.Is it pay at the gate for matches this weekend?junior match last weekend in Clara was pay at the gate and a good crowd at it.Hopefuly it will be just pay at the gate for these matches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Got a message from the club attendances at games are first come first served cash at the gate

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭droppingball

Have we any indication of how many are allowed into games?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Reading between the lines as many as turn up as long as its not on telly. There could be large enough crowds as a lot of people didn't get to matches last yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Neewollah

Great to have club hurling back this weekend. Should be an interesting weekend ahead

Senior:

OLG v GBC – Loughs should take this win based on a strong defence. GBC have enough to trouble them but fancy Loughs to win by 6

Clara v Mullinavat – Very hard to call. Clara have lost the likes of Shane Pender and a few others this year. Not much known about Vat at the minute. If Vat play well I think they win here by 3

Comer v Boro – Comer will be their usual dogged selves I'm sure but Boros form in byrne cup was impressive and should have plenty here to take it by 6

Shamrocks v Bridge – Very interesting game and could be match of the weekend. How serious will the Shamrocks take it and have the new management got Bennettsbridge back to their potential best. Think its a big game for the bridge but you can't bet against the Shamrocks with their scoring power.

Village v Rower – I think this might be a tough year for the Rower. Village should have plenty here

Tullaroan v Lisdowney – Another hard one to call. Tullaroan with a strong spine and Lisdowney maybe a little more balanced all round. Would fancy the class of Tullaroans main players to swing this.

Intermediate:

Fenians v Thomastown - Only one winner here I'm afraid. Thomastown should win this comfortably. Big year ahead for them

Conahy v Muckalee – Young Conahy team v experienced Martins. I think Conahy will shade this with a little more speed in forward line

Gowran v St Lachtains – Gowran have serious underage talent coming through. Freshford I still think will be too strong at the moment

Carrickshock v OLG – I think Carrickshock will have a big year this year. Fancy them to take this one

Glenmore v Dunna – 2 very even teams with plenty of good young players on both sides. I think Glenmore might shade it

Callan v Danesfort - Expecting a comfortable win for Danesfort here. Team best positioned to challenge Thomastown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Comerman

Beware

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/661349/scam-alert-kilkenny-hurling-supporters-urged-to-be-careful-when-watching-games-online.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

It seems that the rumour with the selectors stepping down is definitely true.I don't see a big queue lining up to replace them.I couldn't see Henry or Eddie coming in the talk was Henry has declined invitations.Mick fennelly and David herity are doing good work.Tom mullally who I rate had a disappointing year in cw.Dj will hardly come back.It will probably be something predictable like Peter Barry.This Is no disrespect to Peter but we desperately need a modern coach who is actually listened to and has a say but what we get is just moving lads around .I think the u20 management are staying and there will be changes to u17.

Someone already mentioned this but alot of clubs have gone for outside managers I think I heard only 3 local lads involved with senior clubs.It will be interesting to see how ballycallan go with cloonan.The bridge and shamrocks match could be pick of the wknd.Darren mullen is out for a while and there's talk of joey going travelling.The Bridge lads are really enjoying Dan's influence and hopefully he can get the best out of them.They have alot of lads that got county exposure.Hopefully jason cleere can get back to full fitness and they get a bounce out of Liam blanchfield who has struggled alot over the last few years.Ballyhale have Colin captain and its hard to back against them later in the year.

All eyes will be on thomastown they have huge numbers at training.Danesfort will be there abouts if Richie can stay injury free.Glenmore have impressed in them cup matches and have a good spine to their team.Cshock playing very defensive with two sweeper.O loughlins will be strong lads like conor bergin and Danny loughnane so a mix of youth and experience.Freshford have lost Brian Kennedy who has gone touching abroad and James maher picked up up a hand injury against cork and could be a doubt.Young Irelands are doing very well underage but it will take a few years to transition and there's also no guarantees.

Mooncoin and ballyragget should be a good match.Its some fall for ballyragget who looked so promising a few years ago.Mooncoin doing great work underage but as tullogher found out last week its so hard win any grade in kk.wally didn't play but former callan player james power had a great game.

Hopefully over the next few weeks we see 6 or 7 lads who really put their hand up and get called into the county panel.We need to try get a few more players from the city teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nedflanders02

If that’s true that the selectors are stepping down it’s very sorry because as you say there’s not a long list of candidates to step up and replace them! For all the talk of people wanting Eddie or Henry in the set up we desperately need a good coach in there! After the camogie semi final last week Brian Downing was speaking like a man who was maybe thinking of stepping down, if that’s the case we could do a lot worse than bringing in himself and Tommy Shefflin into the set up! But the big question is would they want to be part of a set up where there input may be minimal.

with regards to the U-20 I know it was mentioned at the last county board meeting that they had had a review of the year with Derek Lyng and it didn’t sound like he was stepping aside so I’d imagine there won’t be much change there.

Great to get back out to a real game today.

A good win for the Boro 2-23 to 1-19 Erins Own

Boro looked like they might pull away a few times in this game but Comer fought as hard as you would expect. On this form I'd expect Comer to cause trouble and come away with a few wins.

The Boro lead most if not all of the way but the got their noses 3 or 4 points ahead at different stages in the first half and great flurries from Comer would get them right back into the match. Cillian Buckley was immense particularly to draw some of the Comer rallies to a close. He played left half back and was flying around the field and looked every inch a county star finishing with 0-2. This is easily the best I've seen out of Cillian for club or county in probably 5 years. On the other side you had Fogarty who started in the middle of the field but moved into the forwards and did very well and finished with a goal and point or two I think.

The decisive blow was struck just before half time. The Boro had stretched out to a 4 or 5 point lead but Comer had reeled them back in to leave it at 0-12 to 0-11 with a few minutes to the break. Aidan Nolan won the ball out at wing forward, turned his man and cruised through on goal, shipped a tackle and rifled the ball to the net. The Boro closed down the resultant puck out and created a fabulous chance for Stapleton too score a second only for a great save by Ciaran Wallace it was also destined for the net. It finished 1-12 to 0-11 at half time.

After the resumption Comer had the lead down to one again before Mark Nolan finished a really well worked move and the Boro started to add on a few points. The lead was out to 8 at one point but Comer kept rallying and got the goal and another few points to keep it close. The Boro's forward power told in the end and they kept tapping over the points to finish out the game.

Top performers

Boro-

Cillian Buckley, Aidan Nolan, Mark Nolan, Tom Kenny, Chris Kavanagh

Comer-

Conor Fogarty, John Dowd, Ciaran Wallace, Shane Feehan, Jack Buggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 theGaaCat

What I've heard from somebody in contact with the county setup is that cody has no contact with the county board, during the hurling season and outside of it. Never has. He just turns up every year to manage the seniors, no questions asked.

The fools above in the county board just want to sit back and take it easy. They have no intentions of having difficult conversations. Jimmy walsh is happy to just turn up and hand out a few trophies and get his photo taken.

UPMC recently offered them a heap a money to develop a centre of excellence for underage development and they turned it down in case it hurt glanbia's feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Comerman

Anyone know why the county board instructed clubs like Freshford today not to accept supporters club pensioners free passes?? I think that's what they are called, it wasn't me but a relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I find it hard to believe any GAA official would refuse money

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Did the person on the gate give explanation why it was not to be accepted, i would ring Nowlan park first thing monday did he have to pay five euro. I had a problem out there a couple of years ago it was over the season ticket it included the club matches your man had not a clue.

You ask a question then you try insult somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Belter just finished

Bridge 3-23

Ballyhale 6-11

TJ rasper hit inside of post with last puck.

Brilliant entertainment, Bridge deserved winners but Ballyhale could easily have had 10 goals

Colin Fennelly 2-2, had a goal chalked off that looked fine, dragged to the ground twice when straight through on goal and had another point blank saved. A deadly dangerous player who looks mad for it, and BC would be mad not to call him back in.

Good performances from a lot of Bridge players, Sean Morrissey excellent in 1st half, a bit quieter in 2nd. Ciaran Brennan 4 pts and unlucky with two goal efforts. A lot of backs played well for 40 mins but TJ and Colin went to town on them in last 20 mins.

Ballyhale will be happy enough, Eoin Cody very quiet and Adrian Mullen poor, Richie Reid and Darren Mullen to come back. Still the team to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Crazy last 15 minutes in the Park. Bennettsbridge led by 12 points, Ballyhale scored 6 goals in that period, Bennettsbridge scored 2 and just held on, seemed to run out of steam and Jason Cleere going off injured. Ballyhale won't be too worried as they aim to peak in a couple of months. Dean Mason made a couple of great saves, could easily have been a dozen goals, Ballyhale had a goal disallowed also. Adrian Mullen was very quiet, Eoin Cody set up a number of the goals. Colin Fennelly got 3 goals and won a number of frees. Evan Shefflin scored 3 points. For the Bridge, David and Liam Blanchfield, Ciaran Brennan and Sean Morrissey did well. Both teams tried to play out from the back, the Bridge more so. Couple of goals given away through turnovers. Great entertainment

Early stages but Mullinavat and the Rower will be concerned that they might end up in relegation playoffs. Mullinavat were well beaten by Clara who got 10 points from play from their midfielders and half backs. Surprised that Lisdowney drew with Tullaroan as I thought they might struggle this year. You would think that the 3 city clubs and Ballyhale will be there at the business end of the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Neewollah

Great to have club hurling back. Really enjoyable to be able to get to a few games again. To be fair the standard at senior level in kilkenny club wise is excellent from what i saw this weekend. Pity its not transitioning to the county team at the minute

Games I saw:

Clara v Mullinavat - Really good solid performance from Clara. Saw off Mullinavat at their ease. Great to see James Nolan back and playing well. Vat have a lot of work to do or could be a long few months ahead.

Shamrocks v Bennettsbridge - wow...where do I start. What a game to be at. Bennettsbridge were excellent for long spells but almost gave it away. Ballyhale literally only went for goals in last 15 minutes. Bridge deservedly held on to win. You could clearly see they are well ahead of Shamrocks prep wise at the minute but we all know when shamrocks will be peaking. For some reason they didn't put a sweeper in front of Colin Fennelly when shamrocks opened the space in front of him to chase goals and it almost cost them. Bennettsbridge at their best are a joy to watch and could be in the mix but conceding 6 goals will be a big worry.

Tullaroan v Lisdowney - Not the same standard as the 1st game of the day but an enjoyable watch all the same. 2 dead honest teams and will make all teams work hard to beat them. Decent 1st day out for Lisdowney. Plenty of nice hurlers with no major weak link.

Well done done to our county minor camogie team on wining the minor all ireland v Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

How can Derek Lyng get approved a third year. The last 2 years have been shambolic. Clubs need to get there act together and get rid of the county board. Decade behind other counties

In fairness, I think it would be very hard to judge Derek Lyng and his team. Their recieving players who are totally under prepared physically compared to our competitors and then the county board wouldn't approve access to a gym for our U20's. So if he hasn't had the resources to do the job properly how can we call for his head. Hopefully with the new gym in Kierans he can make some inroads into getting th up to the standard. The other issue is most of our underage players are being asked to play agriculture hurling with Kilkenny before they get to U20 and Derek and his team have had the two toughest years anyone could have to prepare a team let alone players who are thought it's ok to just lump it long.

I would give him at least a year if not two to see what he can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 revanaghkk

Leinster Minor (U-17) Champioship 2018 Laois 1-12 Kilkenny 1-26 Venue Portlaoise

Leinster U 20 Championship 2021 Kilkenny 1-16 Laois 1-13 Venue Nowlan Park

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I have already said I feel Covid impacted us worse than other counties (smaller set up), particularly at underage (no schools action will hurt Kilkenny more than most) so I do have sympathy for Lyng. He didn't get two normal years to work with them so on balance he probably should get one more year.

However no one can say the two performances against Galway in 2020 and 2021 were anything other than bovine. And unlike when we lost minor finals to them and could point to Galway being way ahead of everyone, those last two Galway U20 teams were subsequently shown up to be no great shakes.

He will have a good crop in 2022 from a minor team that hammered both Munster finalists in 2019.

I'm not sure I agree that he was handed teams that had previously played "agricultural hurling" up till then (the 2018 minor team was if anything too cavalier and shipped some very big scorelines), and even if he did, I saw no evidence in either Galway game he had knocked any of it out of them. I would fear he is too much of a Cody clone (and definitely a Cody loyalist) and I'm with Village 87 that Cody's influence on Kilkenny hurling is in danger of becoming suffocating.

Do we have any good youngish managers coming through or anyone of the great team to take over from Cody.

Eddie brennan might be a bit overated. His laois team won one match of note against Dublin who are hardly world beaters. His present team Cuala hammered the weekend. However he is talked of highly.

Derek Lyng and Michael rice have struggled at under 20 level.

Eoin Larkin has had a rough 1st year as manager, losing every game for ballinkillen.

David Herity been involved with a few teams and presently at Kildare. Highly thought of I believe but no titles.

Henry is surely the obvious choice and will be interesting to see how this year with Thomastown goes.

Any other young coaches or managers for the county board to look at.

Does the black card and penalty for denying a goal scoring opportunity apply to club hurling as well as county hurling? I know that Ballyhale were awarded a penalty but there was no black card

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

That’s not true re: David Herity and winning no titles.

He managed Kildare to a Christy Ring title in 2020 and promotion in the league in 2021.

Last week he got a 3 year extension with the Kildare hurlers so he is not available anyway.

Fair enough. I should have known that. That's good progress and with a strong Kildare under 20 team this year their is a good opportunity to bring Kildare to an even higher level. Will be interesting to see how he does over the next three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

That is intercounty only .possibly coming to club next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

See a bit of a twitter row going on over a Kilkenny u13 match. Mentor kneed player apparently. Richie power is tweeting about it any truth. Shocking if true club should remove him from all involvement

Advertisement