Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

gerry adams would make a great pr man for this current batch of stripey men, it seems ye havent gone away after all!!

well done great game , form tjs line ball to fogertys block , to hue lawlors point to eoin murphys save at the end its hard to be bitter in defeat , great game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Greatest save of all time,greatest block of all time, fairly drunk but that’s what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Fair play to you….could have gone either way in fairness. Ye’ll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

Very well played Kilkenny. Great game. Deserving winners.

no complaints charlie , it was a fantastic second half , great game in fairness , we still have no free taker , and mikey butler had a super game on kelly today

the bench was excellent too , walter , ritchie and cian kenny made serious impacts ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Lots to think about in that game but wanted to put in a word for Richie Hogan who a few of us were talking about during the week, he didn't score when he came in but he did fantastic over at the line and drew a crucial free, and shook things up a bit even if he didn't set the world alight. Was great to see.

Was a great win in a very tough battle, a level of intensity we really didn't see in the leinster championship but we weathered it and gave plenty of it back. The work rate was as good as anything we saw under Cody so it was great to see that that hasn't dropped off under the new regime, as it's basically the core of our identity as a county team. Loads of individual performances to praise but it was the teams intensity, especially when the **** was hitting the fan in the third quarter, that will stand to them. Clare were insane to stick with Morey as sweeper and they were a different outfit in the second half but we got to grips with the change.

Next match is different gravy, so much to be worried about but I for one will be waiting until the daughter is gone to bed now and settling down to watch the Sunday game with a couple of cans to celebrate, let lyng worry about limerick! Only sad that I won't be home for the final, this time last year I was over the moon as I had already booked a holiday trip home for July assuming we wouldn't have made the final. This year it isn't possible but the flag will be out the window in Chicago anyway.

morey was a joke ,

in fairness before he got the job brian was very vocal about us playing a sweeper and not utilizing our front men, toda y he was foiled by his own device

KK are as tough as nails , the workrate today was top class , the last 3 scores from tj , pauric walsh and eoin cody sums up what we are missing

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Great game yesterday well done. Best of luck in the final. Had some great chats with the KK lads I met. One question I asked them all was why don't ye have a bigger travelling support and there was no concrete opinion on that. The game means so much to ye in KK and the team deserves a bigger following.

Hopefully in 2 weeks I can just sit back in the arm chair and watch another classic to pull the curtain down on an entertaining season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Village87

Clare are a great team, love to watch them play. They will have awful regrets.

The soft goal when Clare were in the ascendancy.

The wonder save by Murphy.

The tactics from management. Especially when Butler was following Kelly out that far. Would have left 5 v 5(would have suited Clare)

The disallowed goal from Rodgers, where the ref could have played advantage.

The block off the line from Fogarty.

Losing Taylor.

On another note what a man TJ is, the turnovers, tackles he got through yesterday was inspirational, carried at least 3 other players on his back.

Tom Phelan had another massive game, the work rate and space he created for Cody behind has to be applauded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭hogans heroes

Best individual performance yesterday in croke park came from dennise gaule in the camogie game, 1-12 on a losing team. Absolute GOAT and I hope its not the last time we see her in a kilkenny jersey. Girls hadnt their best stuff yesterday but that kilkenny spirit was there right to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

All round excellent from the lads. We dug it out when needed. Some heroic performances on the field and the introduction of the subs was just at the right time. Any later and we would have struggled. A special mention to eoin Murphy in goal. Made a couple of great saves but the last one in injury time was one of the best I've ever seen. Unbelievable. There were some areas we have to tighten up on. Mullen played very well but you could see his fitness wasn't 100%. Same goes for mossy but considering the injuries they've had its to be expected. An extra 2 weeks will be powerful for them. Donnelly was off the pace a bit but the drive with this group of players is admirable. We deserve to be in the final and Lyng will need to be tactically on the ball and it gives us a great chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Good point about Phelan creating the space for Cody to exploit which I hadn't considered. Still don't think he was great in particular tracking Ryan and he'll have his work cut out against Hayes physically.

Re: the question about fans travelling, it's hard to know. There's probably still a hangover from all the success and the amount of people who make their decision based on quality of ticket available is high as well. I talked to a number of people last week who weren't going until the upper Cusack opened and they got middle of the field tickets. Obviously that's not the case every game but I know from experience that the tickets I've gotten through the club over the last decade are really poor and it would sicken your hole going up and being inside the 21. For the final the best I'll get will be Upper Davin in the corner through the club so I'll be pulling every stroke I can elsewhere to try get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

On the tickets, all I can say is that the tickets we got through the club for yesterday were as good as you could get. Middle of the pitch and far enough back to have a good view across to the far side. The final I'm sure will be a different story but no complaints about what was provided yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,378 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

They would be nowhere without Gaule. ( she scored 1-10)

Shocking 'performance' again.... Too many girls were invisible.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Kilkenny will need every supporter they can get Upper Corner of the Davin or middle of the Hogan. Limerick will travel in huge numbers and the roar of the crowd for the players or referee will make a big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

One thing sure and certain is Ritchie Hogan is done at this level unfortunately. At times I'd have had said the same about tj. I take it back. The legs are gone but his workrate sets the tone for the rest of the team without question. He does far more for kk now than he ever did at the peak of his powers.

Denise Gaul gave an exhibition as well yesterday. Cork had serious pace and cut the defence open several times. Kk got lucky several times but in true kk fashion they could well have brought the game to extra time with Kt power fouled in that last passage of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Richie Hogan made a very big contribution yesterday though, won a free at a crucial time in the game by cleverly knocking the ball down for himself and drawing the free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I don't know how anyone could draw the conclusion from yesterday that Richie is done at this level. Sure he won't start but he absolutely still has something to offer and it was brilliant to see him appear and contribute to the win yesterday. The free he won showed all his experience and craft as many a forward would have panicked and fouled the ball (or lost it) in a similar situation.

On the camogie, Denise Gaule was indeed superb and carried the team but (and I know it's unpopular to even suggest this) I thought the standard on display from both teams was poor. I expected better from an AI quarter final. Basics such as touch, catch, rising were all lacking from a lot of the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Village87

Harsh enough, they tried hard against a good Cork team

Tried hard? Even the worst of teams "try hard" .....

They were reigning champs, and truth be told were even lucky to be there after stumbling to a draw against Tipp , left a 10 pt lead slip against Wexford. 1 win and 2 draws in the Grp.

A very poor return in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Alot of people are happier to stay at home and slate lads here when we're bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭MfMan

Camogie always seems to be like that. In terms of mistakes and poor play, I find it's the most difficult of all Ladies' sports to watch. Ladies football much closer in standard to their men's counterparts than camogie is to hurling I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Not question whatsoever! The GOAT! He's got everything. Connor C did very well on him but you can only do so much against his brilliance. As we say in the Commercial fishing industry, "Attitude makes all the difference" sums up KK as a team & TJ as a player. & he's got the skills to make that attitude even more important.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

even When its deserved?

But is saying they were 'shocking' - slating a team now ??? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Hogan was excellent, he also set up WW with a kick pass that then drew a handy point from free.

Also, he blocked the last gasp effort from Clare. We have seen in recent years, those 30 yard frees in last min are deadly dangerous once they get past first few defenders, but Hogan was first in firing line and he blocked it and game over.

Can we put the supposed "disallowed" goal to bed. Lyons played advantage but when he saw that Huw Lawlor had probably ended Clare's advanatge he blew. It was actually good reffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

One thing that was worrying yesterday is that outside of Eoin Cody, our starting forwards only got 2 points from play. 1 each for Billy Ryan and Tom Phelan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Billie Ryan did a lot of donkey work, set up the goal and set TJ up for another good chance.

Caught a great ball and stuck it over, he works like a dog in fairness to him.

Advertisement