Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I hope so ….. he’s a very good young coach. Would love to see him get involved with our under 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

You'd hope so. He'd have plenty to bring to the table with the minors or U20s.

I like the way he carries himself. He is outspoken, and I wonder would that go against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Village87

Apparently does not come cheap and usually on the hunt for media work. Those 2 criteria's do not sit well with the county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,378 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Hugely devastating for David if he doesnt make it which is very likely unfortunately. It happened late in the match and it was probably adrenaline that kept him going and he didn't realize till Sunday night something wasn't right and he went to hospital. Chances are very slim. He needs time and unfortunately he hasn't got it.

Lyng deserves credit last sunday what he done with butler he hammered the hammer and had kelly following him up to the fowards. Near the end of the match they loaded the hogan stand side with Wally and a few lads and the puckout went to the other side and mullen got it and ended up with a Cody point. Things are definitely improving with the short ball and we're improving.

Sunday week will be a different kettle of fish. Limerick will test it to the limit and although we've improved since the league final they let us have the first ball and we badly struggled after that. Playing them that day will help us because before last years final we hadn't played them for a few years.

I'm sure they've done their homework on Casey generating 2 or 3 frees every match by ducking and holding the opposition hurl. It's very hard mark Flanagan and gillane with the quality ball they get but they might leave butler and Lawlor as the two back. Tommy isn't hurling as well to be fair.

Trying to limit the good ball in from out further will be key. Mullen really grew into the game and it's hard to believe he only pick up a hurl a week before the match.

We all know we will have to give the performance in a long time to win this match. Donnelly was under pressure the last day with his breathing again by all accounts and mossy wasn't involved at all. Infairness Billy tried very hard but we will need these 3 to play the game of their lives. We need a few goals to win this.

Losing 2 all Ireland's in a row isn't a option. They won't need any motivation. They've being waiting for this match all year. There'll be no excuses. We all need to get behind the team and get up and support them. We'll be out numbered 4-1 anyway. There'll be enough lads sitting at home Sunday week from kilkenny waiting to come on here and slate lads after the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Brookville I always enjoyed your posts until recently.

Do you need to end every post by getting in a dig at lesser fans that don't go to all the games?

there are surely several reasons why people decide not to travel..

Surely people who do see it on tv get a pretty good idea of what's happening/ benefits of replays etc..

People will slate lads regardless of being at the game or not..

Pros and cons to everything..of course the atmosphere at a match is excellent but what if you get stuck beside some ape who won't shut up or a load of annoying young lads then you have the cost..you are also losing a full day..

Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy but I consider myself a genuine kilkenny supporter but don't feel the need or desire to go to all the games

Anyway rant over but no need to be repeatedly getting in digs..

People can't go for different reasons I'm not saying that. It's the lads who wait till we lose to come slate lads is the problem. Some lads haven't being seen since the wexford match. What I'm saying is we need to need behind the lads,get out a bit of colour etc

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I take your point maybe I'm tetchy..there are certainly lads on here that nearly seem to want kilkenny teams to do badly

Exactly my point. Anyway we need to get behind the lads. It would be some win if we could manage it. We'll need things to go our way and need to be clinical like we have being the last few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Formosa

Not while the current county board officers are in place, and Ned lurking in the background.

He'd be a good addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

To many people on here that are negative and waiting for the chance to jump down the team/manager or a certain player when things go wrong. But thats just the age we live in is my view. Like Mad i dont go to the games as i prefer to go to the pub and watch there and i can see Croke Park from my place.I get offered free tickets in the pub sometimes but i still dont go. Its just my preference.

As far the Big Day my biggest concern for us is players missing. I know Limerick are missing key players but i feel they can cope but I am not sure we can. I know the bench is contributing but we will need that the next day. For us to have a good chance we need a big start and all 6 forwards will need to bring their A game for 70 mins or how ever long they are on the pitch. We need to do what Galway did for 25 mins for the full game. The pressure is on Limerick but they can handle it IMO.

Lyng has found himself in the same position Cody did in his first year, in the All-Ireland Final with Kilkenny having lost the final the previous year. Didn't go to plan for Cody losing to Cork in 1999. It was my first AI Final to attend, I remember it well!

Here's hoping Lyng can surpass Cody, in this area anyway!

I'm up and down in how I feel this will go. We definitely have a team that can win this, but we will have to work our socks off for 75+ minutes. Can't let Limerick get a run on us like they did at the start of the game last year.

Gutted for Blanchfield, if he has punctured his lung, his chances of being available are slim to none, wishing him a speedy recovery. Would Padraig, Corcoran or Buckley come in for him if he's unavailable? My thinking is either Buckley or Corcoran start and Padraig comes in around the 50 minute mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'd be doubtful that it'd be Buckley who starts the match in place of Blanchfield, as his preparation in the run up to the match won't be ideal... He's getting married the day before 😬

Surely he only needs to be there for the church bit!

In all seriousness though, Buckley will be ready, whether he starts or not is another thing. Might be a good distraction, as long as he doesn't say that to the wife-to-be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I’m nervous already but really looking forward to the game. It reminds me a little bit of 2006 when we were more or less written off by all the pundits and journalists at the time.

Cork were raging hot favourites to do the three in a row but we produced an incredible level of work rate and intensity on the day to upset them for what was for me one of our most enjoyable days in croke park.

I think if anything Limerick are even bigger favourites for this one and we probably don’t have the quality of players in our panel that we had in 2006 but I’m still hopeful we can pull it off if things go our way with injuries before hand and a little bit of luck on the day.

I also have a feeling that if we are to win this one our more experienced players or veterans if you like , Buckley, Pádraig, Hogan and Wally will have a huge part to play in it. I feel they are the ones that can come in and get us over the line please God 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

If the news on blanchfield is true then we will be under pressure. Not sure who will pick up hegarty but one thing is for sure Lyng will have the boys giving 100% and that's all you can ask for. Himself and Mikey carey massive losses if blanchfield doesn't make it. It will take an awful lot to go right for us but we've been written off many times before. We're in there with a great shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Who are we gonna get to step up to the plate at half back does everyone think??

Most likely a pecking order of Darragh Corcoran, Cillian Buckley (very unlikely with the weekend that's in it for him), Padraig Walsh and Conor Delaney I would think. That is the order I'm guessing management will be thinking. Hopefully Blanchfield could make the bench atleast but odds would be stacked against him at the moment for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think the possible results range from a narrow win for Kilkenny if things go well to a good trouncing if things go badly. A number of things would have to go right for Kilkenny to win.

Frees. TJ has been excellent but Byrnes and Gillane have missed the odd one. Hoping to gain a 3 point advantage here.

Getting match-ups right. Chance Mikey Butler on Gillane, Huw on Flanagan, Tommy on Casey? Reid on Lynch with Fogarty dropping deep. With a prayer Blanch on Hegarty, leaving Deegan on Morrissey.

Referee penalising throw balls. Limerick "handpass" the ball typically over 50 times a game compared to half of that for KK. If the ref penalizes thrown balls, it would be a huge benefit to KK. Not holding out much hope for this however.

Puckouts. Quaid has the best puckouts in the game, Eoin needs to improve to give us a chance.

Preventing Lk getting quality ball into their forwards. Gillane had a field day with the ball given to him against Galway. Our forwards need to pressurize their backs.

Goals. We need to score 2 more than Lk.

Form Lk. Lynch and Hegarty have struggled a bit this year but improved in the semi-final. Morrissey and Flanagan have had a bad day when they 'only' got 2 points each. However. Hegarty had a poor semi-final last year before motm in the final

Form KK. Need Mossy, Phelan, Donnelly, Ryan to contribute more on the scoreboard.

Ref watching Casey trying to buy frees, Gillane holding hurls, Quaid feigning injury.

And a lot of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Brookville is always right and has my full support in everything thing he says so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Comerman

Best poster here closely followed by a couple more 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭jimmythesulk

It wouldn't be hard. The standard of posting on this page is cringeworthy at the best of times. Easily know alot of posters are on school holidays and have plenty of free time to talk crap. Every match you have the same posters saying I heard this lad or that lad is out. Or last year it was the ballyhale players had a big bust up with Cody. Rarely if ever it turns out to be true.

Well i am hoping its untrue this time too. Nothing in the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Village87

The hurling coverage in the media is very poor. The quick turnaround with matches, the refusal for any team to speak the media dont help. All Ireland final is next week and the only place to read about it is on this forum.

True. I feel the game is dying and if nothing is done to revitalise it soon, it will be too late. I personally feel moving the finals from Sept to July has being a disaster. But i am no expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brian017

When you bring that up, you're met with "you obviously don't care about the club game, the hearthstone of the GAA"

I agree, it has being a disaster and the Championship has definitely lost something because of it

Taking the Minor finals out of Croke Park is another thing that doesn't sit right to me. But that's just me, I know there was a fantastic atmosphere at the football final recently.

The Minor and u20 need to be revisited also. Maybe the finals should be held on Semi Final days. Its a difficult decision and your damned if you do and damned if you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Nonsense. The recent minor and under 20 double header in Thurlus was a great event and brought about a special atmosphere. The finals of the lory meagher, Christy ring competitions should be played on semi final days and should be televised. Be great for players from these counties to play in front of good size crowds. Important to promote the game outside the traditional counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Yes, the recent minor and u20 finals in Thurles were great events but they dont come any way close to the format that was there for donkeys years. Having the minor and senior all irelands on the same day was a special ocasion and it has been the ultimate day for so many minors who were lucky enough to be part of it, expecially if for one reason or another they didnt progress to adult inter county. Hurling and camogie have to be promoted to the hilt to keep us going and whatever has to happen to keep that going needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 njcat

Excitement building for the big day. Disappointed for David Blanchfield who has been having a great year. We need a rock solid half-back line to counter a great Limerick HF line. Cian Lynch adds a who new dimension to their game with his ball winning and distribution in the middle third. Still confident that Kilkenny will deliver 1000% and make it a great game.

SUPPORT: In the 60s to 90s we could always count on Leinster support and in particular Dublin support. Met Dublin hurling fans in NJ who loved Kilkenny hurling; Chunky O'Brien was a great favourite. The 2 year old McGivern, Antrim based supporter tells us that we are liked around the country. In the 60s we were noted as the gentlemen of hurling which won us a lot of neutral support. Today I think the support is based on our competitive spirit, skill plus coaching & supporting weaker hurling counties.

I lived in Limerick for 7 years and made good friends there. I wish them well and am delighted for their success. But would rather not lose 4 in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭kk.man

As far as I see none of these lads come cheap. Alot are spuffers and cute h>/£<@s. I know of a few of the well known ones and if I had a few quid sponsoring an inter county team I wouldn't go within a mile of them. They are a few genuine ones and I can't comment on Herrity as I don't know him. It's the same for a few of the 'pundits' on the Internet TV and radio.

Advertisement