Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

I see Christy heffernan has gave his opinion on cody in the Irish examiner today. Well put in fairness and it mentions he echoes Richie powers sentiments that we are in need of a change. There is going to be more media talk going on as I think former colleagues and good hurling men are starting to speak out about the feeling on the ground. Won't make a difference this year but hopefully it might have an effect for next year. Also Christy said in the article that we never lost two all Ireland semi finals back to back until this year. I didn't know that must check it out. Good article worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Richie Power spoke out after the appointment in January. At the time I said it was a pity he didn't speak out beforehand. Similarly with Christy now. But I'm not sure it matters to the county board, they clearly are not listening. Such a shame. I haven't met anybody who was in favour before or since this appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

I would find it hard to give the previous minor managers too much credit as a lot of the player development at that age can be credited to schools and clubs. The main issue I had with them was the lack of any type of game plan and their inability to put players in the rights position. That said they obviously deserve some credit for reaching finals but they definitely left some behind them too. The bigger issue is the lack of development from 17 to 20and the failure to capitalise on some very good players coming through the system. Evidence of this is players like Leahy and Donnelly taking 3 or 4 years to establish themselves as senior players. No players are coming out of U 20 seem to be senior ready or even close and this is the biggest concern of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 upnorth

It's hard to see Joey Holden or Richie Hogan continuing. Equally interesting will be the decisions of Conor Fogarty 31, Walter Walsh 30 and Cillian Buckley 29.

What about TJ, 34 in November?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Was talking to one of our recent retirees yesterday for a few minutes on the streets and he has been helping out with the underage setup recently and he said he was shocked by what he saw when he went to a few of the sessions. He asked a group to do 4 x 40yard runs to get started and he said everyone was blowing out his a*** at the end of the four runs, he said the "coaches" didn't seem to understand the game well and he was very saddened and surprised by the whole thing.

Apparently there is a meeting this coming Monday about the underage setups hopefully there is a few heads banged together and answers demanded and hard questions asked. There appears to be little accountability or oversight of the setups we have in place and that needs to be changed if the reports of our fulltime coaches on here are correct.

A bigger issue is I think all the senior positions in the county board need to have a nomination against the incumbent as soon as possible, the farce of a county board meeting that I've read about here and heard directly from participants about is shocking. No engagement, no questions answered or answered comically, just ratify and move on. As soon as possible a handful of clubs should band together and put forward one nomination for the main roles (if open for re-election) Chariman, vice Chairman, Treasurer, PRO, Secretary and any other roles I'm missing. Even if the new candidate doesn't get elected it will hopefully light a fire under those in the roles that they will not go unopposed and the merry-go-round will come to an end if they can't deal with things in an open and democratic manner.

Why haven't the county board asked the clubs for nominations for the senior or any management teams, it's just the same rubber stamping exercise every year. If the clubs still vote him in then fair enough, will anyone allow their name to go forward in opposition, probably not initially but by this stage there would definitely have been candidates willing to put the hand up if we had been doing this for the last few years. I'm not saying this needs to happen every year, if you give a management team a 3 year term let them see it out then ask for other nominees. If the existing ticket want to allow their name to go forward again great, if they've done a good job they'll get another term if not the clubs can vote for someone else. This horse** of ratifying all management teams together is a cop out too in my opinion. Why don't the clubs get a vote? (I know why😌)

Could the clubs not have been better prepared and put forward proposals/motions seeking a new way of appointing management teams? Been shot down on Monday night was partially their own doing if they weren't adhering to the rules the questions should have been asked weeks ago. It seems that there isn't anyone better out there to run the county board, unfortunately.

By the way, any update on pensioners passes? Other counties already operating the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the appointment of management teams would almost never be decided by a run off between candidates at a Co Board meeting. Instead, if the position is vacant or Co Board decide to make a change, do they not appoint a committee to do a trawl, interviews etc? Then they come back with a recommendation of a single candidate, and it goes before Co Board for the rubber stamping. Or have I got this wrong?

As for the Co Board "Executive", are they voted in for a fixed term, say 3 or 5 years? Or can they come up for decision every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 revanaghkk

Every 5 years as far as I know, which I think will be up in December of 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

They can be challenged each year but the max term is 5 years.

The county board officers are tone deaf and are going to create a movement against them altogether if they don't start doing things the right way. By not admitting that things are not going well on the pitch they are encouraging more people to move against them.

The way it used to be done I believe is that clubs would put forward nominations for managers of all grades that would then be discussed and voted on by the delegates. Because Cody has been so successful and untouchable over the years this set up just disappeared over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Village87

They should all go. Realistically Kilkenny need a rebuild. If TJ retires it allows other players to step out of the shadows and become leaders in the next 2/3 years. Kilkenny need to be looking at a 3/4 year plan. Not plod along with the same players that are clearly getting on and delaying a proper rebuild. Rebuild needs to start this year.

If these players stick around for another year or 2 the results will be the same and its delaying a rebuild and chance for others to lead the team for next 5/6 years

So the 6 senior players should retire ?

I kinda know what you mean, but i dont think we can afford to lose TJ anyway !

But, we've all said that the players arent there/coming through to compete for an All Ireland, so how will the 6 players leaving that have been there/done that help in the development of U20s coming into the team?

You need senior players in all teams to help 'blood' younger players for senior hurling, i would have thought.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

We ALL haven't said that the players aren't there. Moreso, a modern plan isn't there in order to get the players playing to their optimum level. I would never say a particular player should retire. In fact I admire those that have hung on over the last few years as subs. But I would understand if up to six or more do go as our system isn't being fair to them and the other players.

Village87, who would you replace those six players with? I know we haven't seen much club action this year yet but you've been calling for retirements for a few years now so you must have replacements in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Village87

Look I'm not sure who is there to replace the older players but one thing Kilkenny have is hurlers. Young players develop and get more confidence. I don't have any answers but feel that players like Leahy etc. need a bit more confidence and responsibility. The younger lads are hurling with the weight of managment on there shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

How are they going to stream two games at the one time or is it a misprint?

https://kilkennygaa.ie/2021/09/st-canices-credit-union-final-round-fixtures/

all on at the same time.

You can watch one live, and the other one after "Both games can be purchased and watched as deferred games in the hours or days afterwards."

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Doh 🙄 I thought streaming was a one off chance to see a game, god I'm getting old. Thanks greenspurs 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭blackcard

So if Vat beat Comer, you will have Clara against the Village/Bridge in the league final, Vat against Village/Bridge in the Shield final and Shamrocks, Boro and O'Loughlins playing in the first round of the championship?

A goal midway through the second half for OLG followed by the Boro going down to 14 proved turning points today. Up to that, I thought that the Boro were the better team with OLG depending on Mark Bergin for a lot of their scores. Huw Lawlor played well at centre back. The Boro got caught in possession trying to work it out from the back.

On a fine day, I would expect the Boro to reverse this result, otherwise I would fancy a more dogged OLG.

Ballyhale put a big score up against Tullaroan as did Clara against Ballycallan, they look like the teams to beat.

Not sure what happened in the Village Lisdowney game where there was no score for either team in the final 15 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

There was a shed load of wides in the Village Lisdowney game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KKHammer

What way does the 1st round work. Is it still split 3rd v 4th and 5th vs 6th or is it 3rd vs 6th, 4th vs 5th? Leaving 4 going into draw for 1/4s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Still 5th v 6th I believe as losers go relegation final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KKHammer

I thought that too but there is a relegation semifinals down for the week after the 1st round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

No they changed it this year.... 3rd play 6th and 4th play 5th. Losers play in relegation semi final. Winners play in 1/4 finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Interesting so only top 2 are safe from the drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭blackcard

Ballyhale probably playing the loser of the Comer Vat match unless Comer lose by 6 I think. Tullaroan playing Ballycallan or Comer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Went into the boro match and really up to the last few minutes when o loughlins got a sloppy goal they kept their noses in front and this was helped by a silly red card for the boro although the game was probably over at this stage.o loughlins have issues in attack and they played deegan in the ff line for most of it.I can see how they tried this but he done more in ten minutes out midfield than he did all match inside and its safe to say this didn't work.Mikey butler was back after a long lay off he was tidy and if he can keep fit and bulk up he should get a run with the county.Lawlor was very good at 6 and his probably better on the half back line.Jordon molloy was also good.

David Hughes the ref blew alot and it was stop start and fizzled over once or twice as a result.

Ive seen boro twice now against clara last week and although they've a new manager and missing a few oillie Walsh got injured against clara and was on crutches today but Evan cody played and didn't play last week I've being disappointed with the boro for all the underage talent.The short game broke down a bit but it's only the league and hopefully they will get it all together for the business end but I have my doubts.

Clara had another good win and while not the team they were there very balanced and you know what you'll get with them and unlike the boro there adapting well to the modern game.John murphys move to wing back has worked and this is a lad I've always rated and is definitely a cody player.Bolger is no longer the only forward they have and the few young lads are hurling well.

If anyone had any doubts about the shamrocks I think they showed us all it will take something special to beat them.The 3 mullen didn't play today and Darren as was touted here could be out for a while.colin got 1-2 and eoin cody 1-7 and Brian cody got 4 points I think.The half back line of Evan shefflin,Richie Reid and Dara corcoran all scored.

Great to see lisdowney doing well at this grade but the village will be disappointed with the wides today.the village were missing a few as far as I know.

Advertisement