Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Jesus what a bottle job that was. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Ballyhales big players made some massive plays in the last 10 minutes and they refused to lose that game.

Colin Fennelly was very poor and was surprised he lasted so long, another week or two hurling will do the world of good.

If Dicksboro couldn’t beat a 14 man Ballyhale team already missing a few of their very good hurlers then I don’t know what to say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭blackcard

Huge credit to Ballyhale. They were down but not out. Missing so many players from last year, down to 14 men and 3 points in arrears. Adrian Mullen had his best game of the year. TJ stood up.

Dicksboro made poor use of the extra man and let the match slip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

Im afraid the Boro contingent promoting, Shine, Clifford and Moore for county senior got there answer today. Clifford not related to a county hurler, very poor hands, Shine too small and slow and Moore looks very awkward. Tom Kenny the best hurler the boro have. How was Eoin Fennelly left on Adrian Mullen for all the first half. TJ is some man

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shocks12

Is Tom Kenny that good? He let Tj go up and catch ball in behind the other backs instead of competing ! He didn’t really do much bar hit some loose ball from what I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

It is a Boards Sitewide policy not to comment on a case in front of the Courts, kindly remember that from now on.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Truth be told if Ballyhale had a matchfit Colin Fennelly, Ronan Corcoran, Brian Cody, Joey Holden and Joey Cuddihy they would have bet Dicksboro at their ease today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

And every team in the Country as they've proved for the last 5 years, so what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Not surprised at Shamrocks winning today, although I think today was the best opportunity for them to be beat. Boro could have snuck it but Shamrocks being Shamrocks they eeked out the win, it's old hat to them.

Unfortunately I don't see the Village beating them in the semi, we'll be without Cian Kenny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

If Ballyhale go all the way to Croke Park for the All Ireland this year , I hope its against a Limerick team. Just to prove that a Limerick team can by beaten by a Kilkenny one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 KKHammer

Did anyone have an issue with the behaviour of Ballyhale today and especially the Mullens or is that what you need to win these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Very poor from boro management. Niall Rowe followed eoin Cody and Moylan was on Colin while it seemed mullen was left idle at times. It was very clear mullen was on his game early and he could of had a goal after a few minutes.The Boro will be very dissapointed and this will really hurt. They had chances and the opportunity to win today.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hogans heroes

Balllyhale were there to be beaten today and dicksboro couldnt do it,

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hogans heroes

Camogie post

Senior 1/4 finals draw

Village v barrow

Dicksboro v st brigids

Piltown v clara

Windgap v Tullaroan

Relegation semis

Conahy v young irelands

Muckalee v thomastown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Whatever it was that drove the Shamrocks to "play" the way they did today leaves me bewildered. The Mullens in particular were possessed, one getting his matching orders and the other lucky to stay on.

I'm thinking a lot of posters watched the Boro for the first time this year as it was televised and therefore won't appreciate how well they had been playing as a team with many good individual performances along the way.

If the Shamrocks players were to be judged solely on today's match, not too many of them would be classed as county material. And I include Eoin Cody, who I hugely admire, in that. The Boro deserve some credit for keeping tabs on him for most of the match along with C Fennelly and others.

The Shamrocks deserve great credit for winning today because the Boro had them rattled for long periods. It was mentioned in a post that they are missing a number of players. The Boro are missing at least four players from last year's panel due to working out foreign. Many clubs are in the same boat but like the Boro, plough on.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

The thing that struck me was that, while A Mullen was willing to throw digs in Nolan Pk he wasn’t so inclined to do so in the company of Byrnes, Hayes & Co in Croke Pk where he seemed to be happy on the drift out of harms way

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

As opposed to the cork hurlers, who don't like any physicality and have being have gone missing any time a team puts it up to them physically for nearly twenty years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

They won the physicality battle anyway, Eoin Fennelly was thought to be Boros "hardy man", but Adrian completely bullied him and was far to physical for him. Shane Stapelton was the only player to stand up and win the ball when the going was tough, all the others including Buckley disappeared. Disappointing for Kilkenny hurling as it looks like of all the 5 in row Boro minor winning teams we might get very little return in the Kilkenny jersey from it. I was very very disappointed in Timmy Clifford, cannot see what he will offer Kilkenny at inter county level

• Advertisement

Village87, were you in Nowlan Park yesterday for the matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I thought Eoin Fennelly had a good game Mullen was on different markers at different times. Shamrocks we’re riled up for the game and were bullying the Boro lads from the start without the referee acting on it. Tom Kenny got a yellow card for nothing because the referee did not want to single out Mullen we’ll see how critical the village man will be of his own players in a fortnight’s time. A lot of the Boro players are 20 years of age or less people seem to forget this.Timmy Clifford is 19 and washed up already?

Far from washed up, he will be a top class hurler for his club, but the athleticism that worked so well for him at underage has seemed to balance out at adult level, Ballyhale exploited him as a weak link in the air and TJ caught a few balls over his head(no shame in that), he seems caught in 2 minds which way to hold the hurl and it effects the flow of his game, at intercounty level you have no time for that.

The Boro played their part in what was acknowledged as a very good game. I'm guessing that's why there's no talk of the first match yesterday and also the fact that it wasn't on television. Even the Village supporters aren't posting about their own team getting through to the semi final. That's why I asked if Village87 was in the Park yesterday.

A puck of the ball between the two teams at the end. The Boro are a young team and had they met any team other than the Shamrocks they'd have continued with their progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Ah come on now, how many years are we hearing ''the Boro are a young team'' stuff. They bottled that game yesterday. Pure and simple.

Ballyhale had about 6 players with little to no real movement or pace, the Boro had an extra man and still found a way to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Well said Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

There's no doubting the Boro are a good team but to be ahead of a 14 man Shamrocks ( missing the 2 joey's, Brian Cody and Ronan) with a few minutes to go....you'd have to ask questions. Over the last couple of years they seem to leave all their best hurling on the hard ground and struggle in the soft ground. Shamrocks were very physical yesterday but I would have expected nothing else. People were writing them off all week and a serious backlash was to be expected. I thought they played Boro's puckouts very well, standing off and leaving them drive it long where they were ready to defend. These puckouts worked well in league final but the opposition yesterday were less naive than Glenmore and didn't follow everywhere.

Have they enough left in the tank to finish it off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

You also have to have issue with the way Shine carried on to get a player sent off.

Advertisement