Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Reminder - Shamrocks have won the last 5 club finals. The last team to win the county final, other than the Shamrocks, is the Boro. The other 10 senior teams haven't made the breakthrough yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭blackcard

Heard that they may be down a couple of players due to injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭blackcard

Anyone have any issues logging in to the Club Season Ticket? Haven't been able to log in on phone or PC for over a week

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Neewollah

I'm afraid the Shamrocks have this sewn up now. Village won't lay a glove on them. OLG or Bennettsbridge might give them a decent game in the final but they'll have too much for either. Hope I'm proved wrong as championship could do with a new winner

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

And sure if they do win it his year, they will only be stronger again next year with Ronan Corcoran, Joey Cuddihy and Brian Cody due home from Australia next May.

Its never ending with the Shamrocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Not much hurling chat this weekend.

Danesfort back to Intermediate and will be replaced by Thomastown or Mooncoin who both won today.

Junior semi final line up

Windgap v St Lachtains

Tullogher v Dicksboro

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Been an awful lot of one sided games in Intermediate Championship this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

Is underage going back to U 12 14 16 18 .....was at a blitz today hear it is

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Any reports from the semis today? I was expecting two close encounters.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ttowncat

Thomastown took 7 mins to get going and then the game was over after 20mins. Dunnamaggin were not at the races. Little scoring threat and free taking didnt go well either.

Lisdowney had a slow start to their first half and had good goal chances and opportunities to be close to level at half time but found themselves 5 or 6 down at half time. Mooncoin started brilliantly and have great pace and movement up front- they even left behind a goal chance or two. Lisdowney came out with more energy in second half but cldnt get a run of scores whereas mooncoin took their fewer opportunities in the second half to keep the wide gap. Lisdowney were poor. Mooncoin love a running game with low angled ball delivered to the corners and then a short pass to someone to has made a run or who has ghosted into space. The weather conditions.suited mooncoin today.

Tallis is a great goalkeeper..oozes class. John donnelly was very strong and showed.his.county class.

Ref in the first game was.whistle happy amd full of.lectures., cleerly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭droppingball

Thomastown hurled well yesterday, Dunnamaggin turned up very defensively instead of getting stuck into Thomastown. Ttown shot selection and execution was very good. Everything went through John Donnelly and that solo run through the centre with a few flicks was the highlight of the day.

Mooncoin were very fluid in the second game, they looked well drilled and looked way hungrier. There full forward line are a real handful and they played really good ball into them which was tough on the Lisdowney full back line.

Lisdowney didn't seem to have any scoring threat and it is hard to believe they had not got a freetaker sorted by a county semi final. If you include the penalty taker and the 21 where they went for goal, 5 lads had a go at them. Very strange for a team who were seriously fancied.

Should be a good final with Mooncoin surprising a few and Ttown going well. With Ttowns history in finals anything could happen but they will be slight favorites.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Thomastown have been an absolute bottle job of a team for years but surely this is their year. Will do well at senior as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

People always say that Thomastown are bottlers but in fairness to them when you look at some of the teams they've lost too the last few years they've done well at senior, I'm thinking of Glenmore and Tullaron in particular. The final they lost to Lisdowney during Covid was probably the most disappointing in conceding a late goal to bring the game to extra time and losing on penalties. They've looked head and shoulders above every other team at junior this year and were excellent yesterday and have been putting up big scores in every game. I thought Mooncoin looked good yesterday and they played a nice brand of hurling. They don't have any real standout forwards but they all work really hard and they all chip in with scores! I thought Paul Hennebry and Martin O'Neill in the half back line looked very good. I'd fancy Thomastown to win the final but Mooncoin look a team on the up!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭droppingball

Well I'm biased as I'm from thomastown but the only game we bottled was the Lisdowney loss. The late goal in normal time, going 5 up in extra time and giving them 5 frees to level and then messing up penalties after being ahead in them as well. It was totally our own doing.

Danesfort and Tullaroan were the better teams in the other two county finals but Thomastown fully turned up in those. Like we scored 4 25 last year against Danesfort, they did turn up but were just beaten by a better team. Tullaroan had been best team in intermediate for a while when they beat us.

Same the year against Glenmore in the semi final, Glenmore were just better. Mooncoin will give them nothing handy either and that is no harm. Thomastown have to break the mental barrier but outside that Mooncoin are a good team, they were even better yesterday than I expected.

The weather during the League championship suits our scoring forwards and yesterdays conditions suited the free flowing game, Mooncoin play similar brand so it could be high scoring if the pitch/weather allows.

Thomastown would probably find it easier to stay up senior than they have found getting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Well said droppingball. That lazy term, bottled it, is mainly used by those wanting to have a go at insulting a team. You've explained the Thomastown situation perfectly for those who haven't followed the club scene closely over the years. Some posters, in their rush to insult teams, take no account of the opposition.

Both Thomastown and Mooncoin performed brilliantly yesterday. It should be a great final if both repeat that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Thomastown will be 7 or 8 point favs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Well done to Comer Saturday and hard luck to danesfort. Very difficult for danesfort to come straight down but they lost 7 games. They had a great goal chance before half time and will regret some poor wides. Delaney tied up Richie in the second half. Fogarty was excellent and got a crucial goal. Playing while injured aswell.

Freshford got out of jail yesterday morning and ballyragget will be very dissapointed because it was there for the taking. Kevin Kelly was a huge loss going off. Theres nothing handy in junior and Freshford will know they'll have to up it for the windgap game.

The two junior semis should be good. The Boro have a very good team littered with underage winners and they haven't lost any to senior. I know they've put alot into trying to get this team to intermediate.

Thomastown to be fair were excellent. Most intermediate teams have one or two scoring fowards but they have 6 that can score.i also agree with the above the term chokers isn't a fair reflection. Last year danesfort were the better team but this year they've a lot of young lads who maybe don't have the same baggage. I think they'll do it this year and I think they would do well at senior

Mooncoin were impressive and won't be a push over. Two years ago they were junior and now they're 60 mins from senior. Brilliant work going on in the club and they contested the u21 final against ttown last year. Paul heneberry was excellent sitting in the pocket and martin o neill hurled well. They play smart heads up hurling with plenty of running. PA walsh is a good target man

Lisdowney will be dissapointed they missed a penalty and went through a few free takers. Some of the clearances were very poor and very predictable.They have gone with youth and lost a few players from last year. They would get more from tallis outfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

At the match in Conahy Ballyragget pulled out all stops legal illegal are Freshford going to appeal there centre fields sending off heard there leaving it up to him when he comes out of hospital. Liam Hickey, Cathel o Leary , Darragh Maher made a big difference when they came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

Dicksboro looked very good beating us Saturday morning. Very fluid hurling team as stated above littered with underage county talent. Freshford were lucky Brian Kennedy or Darren Brennan didnt get the line. Brian Kennedy started it all and Darren Brennan came in late and hit a Ballyraggett player. The 2 red cards will be doing well to get overturned.

The lad with the beard the water carrier had a big hand in starting the whole thing, do not know about the two red cards eye gouging is serious thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

More from the Camogie board this week. Girls being forced to hurl at 9pm on Friday night and then again at 4.30pm on Sunday. Solid madness. Heads need to roll with the constant mistakes. Those in charge are clearly not fit for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

A lot of discontent behind the scenes and the camogie board being challenged on X(Twitter). Also rumors of a player protest which didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Neewollah

Remember all these people are volunteers and camogie has often had issues with pitch availability at this time of the year. Clubs less willing to give pitches in poorer conditions

The split season does not seem to be doing the camogie board any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hogans heroes

Agree their volunteers and pitches can be hard to get, but from the starrt of the season, fixtures have been changed from weekly to every 2 weeks, top 2 in each group was changed to top 4 after 2 rounds of the all county league were played, then the championship draw for groups fixtures which had them playing teams in rheir group ended up with teams not playing anyone in their groups a week out from original fixtures.then their was a 3 week gap with no games, lastly the way the draaw for the 1/4 finals took place really upset the players across the county.things have to change for next year as its simply not good enough on any level.

Post edited by hogans heroes on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Not as cut and dry as that though?

Was that not due to a game being abandoned the previous sunday, and the next round was the following sunday, so the game had to be squeezed in somewhere.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

There seems to be.

But i think the person over fixtures has served term, so will not be there next year anyway?

The guy last year was a lot more organised, and there was less chaos , and fixtures were set , not just appear a few days before they have to be played!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Ballyhale getting out of Kilkenny and going deep into the All Ireland series doesn't do Kilkenny any good. That's my honest opinion and it's just an opinion. I think TJ isn't fresh in the Summer and Adrian Mullen is usually abit average by his own standards aswell. I think he isn't able for Byrnes or Hayes. Am I being too Harsh?

What's success for Lyng in 2024? A new centre back and midfield I would say and one new corner forward. It's possible Limerick will get stopped this year in Munster by Cork I would say . If they get out of Munster then hand them the McCarthy Cup. They grow a foot in Croke Park. Too many positive memories, too much experience. Their supporters will outnumber every opposition 3 to 1 at kwast in Croke Park

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

There were many far better options than forcing girls to play two games about 40 hours apart. Girls training all summer to play two games in the middle of October in the **** (and one approaching midnight). To be honest it's so late now that another week wouldn't have made a difference. Madness.

I'm not buying this "They're only volunteers" craic either. The GAA has been run by volunteers in nearly all roles and none of them have made this much of a hames of it either. Some of these have been around for a number of years and also have plenty of time on their hands to get these things right. Not an excuse.

• Advertisement

What options??

maybe blame the hse for the length of time it took to get an ambulance to the ground ??

The Leinster championship is set to start... They will not move that.... so county championships have to be finished......

Hurling clubs own the pitches so have first option, so they will get the best time slots for games....

Im not the biggest fan , fixtures have been a farce all year, but they cant be blamed for everything!!!

Advertisement