Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Tullogher the better team on the day. Their forwards looked far more dangerous than Freshfords. Up 1-11 to 0-07 at half time and Freshford drove at them in the 2nd half but Tullogher held our for a well deserved win. Marty Murphy at wing forward was outstanding. At only 18 he has great potential. Wally hurled well along with Danny Glennon and Cian o Donoghue. The evergreen Pat Hartley got man of the match with a solid display at centre back.

For Freshford Brian Kennedy James Maher and Padraig Donnelly hurled well enough but Freshfords forwards just didn't look as sharp or dangerous as Tulloghers.

This is a young Tullogher team and having contested the minor A County final 2 years they have every chance of doing well at intermediate.

For Freshford I know many on here were tipping them from earlier in the year but they haven't been sharp enough to win it. The Junior grade is a dogfight and with the likes of windgap and ballyragget still there Freshford will need to improve if they are to go back up intermediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Hard to understand how some of these tullogher under 20 players didn't even make the county under 20 panel this year. No way were some of the players who started and came on in the Leinster championship match versus Wexford better than the tullogher players. And then they go and reinstate the same management team again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

Here here. Its who you know, where you're from and what school you went to

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

There's a big difference in standard between Junior Club and intercounty U20 to be fair. Not defending management but I'm sure these players all got trials but might have been off form or injured at the time. Always gonna have people with different opinions on who should be selected for County. There was 4/5 Boro lads being mentioned here all year, but the same names were very quiet when put up against qualify in the Shamrocks in the heat of championship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Tullogher had a very good first half to put the foundations down for a good win. Freshford were poor in the first half. They fumbled and made mistakes.They couldn't get their key players into the game. Although they pulled it back freshford couldn't get their noses in front and tullogher were deserving winners.

James maher and wally had a good tussle both players done good things. I was really impressed with the 2 Murphys aswell.i thought lar was excellent.A tullogher man was telling me they're only 18 and 19 so hopefully they'll get a run with the u20s. Tullogher have got a great return from the minor team a few years ago and they have filled out.

Theres no guarantees in any level. Tullogher were down 4 or 5 years and found it very difficult. Freshford have plenty of good hurlers but they just met a hungrier and better team today. Maybe there was more pressure on freshford after coming down last year

Unless ya knew the freshford players theres not a hope you could see the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 crossbar

I rarely post on here, but I must agree with Jimmy's comments on county under 20 player selections. Year after year South Kilkenny players who do not attend Kierans College are being overlooked ahead of average hurlers from city clubs and the environs who are talked up and promoted at every opportunity by virtue of their club or school. This is enabled by the county board who continuously select their teachers or club mentors to train and pick county teams. If half these fellas were from Slieverue, Kilmacow or many other rural clubs they would never be heard tell of. The U20 half forward playing for Dicksboro junior team this year is a prime example, no where near good enough but selected anyway on the basis of the criteria above. He would not tie Danny Glennon's or Marty Murphy's boots, but he's a Kieran's/Boro man, so.......

The Minor grade is even worse. I attended the 2019 county minor finals 4 years ago to support my club. Mooncoin won the A that day and Thomastown won the B. Killian Hogan and Jack Holden were awarded man of the match in both games, they were by far the best players on view but neither were deemed good enough for the county panel because no one ever saw them play outside the 'trials' where the panel is picked before and the trials are arranged to give false hope to those outside the golden circle. These lads went to school in Del la Salle and Grennan College, a big mistake if you want to hurl underage for Kilkenny. Jack Holden has gone on to be a fine hurler and often waves the green flag for Thomastown, he is yet to wear the county jersey. The exceptional hurler from rural clubs at each end of North and South Kilkenny will always come to the fore in the end, but many others like those mentioned above will slip through the net. Until the current system of underage county team selection is disbanded Kilkenny hurling will not thrive.

On a side note, well done to Tullogher yesterday on a fantastic performance, It was great to see a team playing traditional style hurling with big men around the field who could hurl, Freshford could not live with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

Enjoyable and high standard game yesterday, Tullogher are a nice team with some top forwards, the sheer resilience of Hartley at centre back when the game needed to be won was something to behold, pulled balls out of the sky and some heavy hits to create turnovers were a massive factor in Tulloghers win, himself and the half forward Marty Murphy were outstanding. I was disappointed in Freshford yesterday, lacked a couple of forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Marrooned

It seems you were judging the Dicksboro man on one performance, is that what you’re advocating against. I was impressed with the performance of the two Murphy’s yesterday and Danny Glennon to a lesser degree but I saw saw Marty Murphy at minor level for KK and I wasn’t impressed with him . Now I thought he was excellent for Tullougher underage. Now you are probably right about the selection process but from the start with the development squads there is no honesty from the clubs sending in the players and this is the kernel of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭deadybai

Is the moocoin vs Thomastown game being shown on clubber.ie ? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

• Advertisement

I judged him on 2 or 3 appearances off the bench for the U20s and saw him play junior for the Boro 3 times this year, a very light and average hurler, every club team in the county could provide similar. I've nothing against the chap personally but if he was from Graiguenamanagh and went to secondary school there for example he would never have worn a Kilkenny jersey. I'm not singling this chap out either and I will not name him here as that is not fair. Every year the St Kierans stamp is all over underage county teams, sometimes justified, sometimes definitely not, particularly from number 16 to 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 upnorth

Killian Hogan was left corner forward on the Kilkenny minor team of 2018 beaten in the All Ireland Final by Galway in Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

A great video doing the rounds mooncoin man pulls straight down on man’s head not even a card a joke of a ref

Walter is best of forwards and he not good enough to hurl for kilkenny it’s junior there playing well at for gods sake

is that the Boro young lad that has 3 minor medals 3 under 19

I would not mind some of the young boro lads plying for use the gave a great account of themselves only beating by the greatest hurler of all time

some of the tullogher lads looked good because mooncoin such poor hurlers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Winning medals at minor and U19 are not a measure of how good an underage player actually is. That Boro team are stacked with talent and have won everything but it doesn't mean each individual on the team is county standard.

And to clarify I have no idea who you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Tullogher looked good because Mooncoin were so poor! That doesn't make any sense. Tullogher beat Freshford, Mooncoin lost to Thomastown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭rrs

Posted on wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭droppingball

Very happy Thomastown man here, delighted after a couple of tough years that the lads performed like we knew they could on Sunday.

To win it playing the brand of hurling they played made it most satisfying. All credit to the management team who had them so well coached. This is a very young team so should survive at senior and hopefully have a good run in leinster.

The performances of John and Stephen Donnelly all deserve a mention but it was a great team performance and all 15 and subs hurled well.

Tough day for Mooncoin, Thomastown know how that feels, but this is the start of their journey and they will be back in the park going again as they are a good young team.

Delighted for our neighbours in Tullogher, good weekend for the southern teams.

Hopefully we have a good senior final and the weather improves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Yes, well done Thomastown and Tullogher, very pleased for both, well deserved victories and played lovely hurling.

Yes, great to see both clubs succeed, 2 teams are similar in development, both play a lovely brand with tall fit players everywhere. Both will have no problem in respective grades.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 kinghenry1

Have to agree both teams played lovely fast direct hurling well done to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Liam Blanchfield called back into the Kilkenny squad according to Irish Independent, along with Padraic Moylan and Harry Shine

I was very impressed with some of the Thomastown and Tullogher players the weekend, I know its junior and intermediate but the size and athleticism of these players was eye catching. Outside of Dicksboro which Tullogher could have bet in an A county final these 2 clubs are next on the list over the last 5 years, consistently competing well in A and winning B's so obviously have the talent to produce an inter county senior player or 2 hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Jjleft hand your the one that said a young lad from the Boro that was on under 20 should not of being there he was very poor against tullogher well if it’s the young lad that came on against mullinavat and won the game for the Boro he a fine prospect

your on about lads that look good at a lower grade walter still Tullogher best player and he not good enough for county hurling

I would love if we had players of the calibre the Boro have they gave a great account of themselves and to run the shamrocks and Tj to 2 pints with a great brand of hurling yes the made mistakes but who doesn’t

It was actually myself who made that point. Anyone who closely follows club and county hurling in Kilkenny will know exactly which player I am referring to. And no, he is not the completely obvious one who had a big influence at club and county level this year and is a big prospect for the county team in the coming years. I will stand by the point as it was made but have no interest in laboring on it. Have a look at this year's U20 panel, there was 4 Dicksboro men on it, only one hurled junior champoinship for the club this year, the other 3 hurled senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Any of ye know why Tullogher's game at the weekend is being played at Tara Rocks pitch outside Gorey, most random venue ever can't remember it ever been used a netural venue in the Wexford championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I'd say not many pitches available and don't think it's to be good at the weekend either

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kinghenry1

Match switched there as wally is flying out on the kilkenny hurlers holidays later that day so made sense to have it on way up.

Fully expect OLG to beat Shamrocks Sunday, OLG big 3 to curtail and the big 3 for Shamrocks and get the job done, Shamrocks tail will be exposed Sunday missing the 4/5 quality players they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Are the rumours true? DJ

Advertisement