Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

1. Eoin Larkin
    2. Larky
    3. Larks

Can't really think of any others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Gotha was effective but wouldn't be in the same league as the other 2

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Is your theory the city lads won’t put up their soft hands to win a puck out and won’t break a hard tackle to take scores compared to a hard farming chap like TJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Marrooned

The first thing to do is name probably the first eighteen to twenty starting forwards with the city teams and we can start who would make it, Who could make it and who won’t make it. Then the up and coming underage players who could make it, so off ye go now and we’ll sort all this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

Cork county board voted tonight in favour of minor going back to U18 with 18 year olds only allowed play adult up to junior level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

It looks like the new rules for Freshers isn`t going down too well. I can`t say that I`m surprised, but this was always going to take several games to bed in. In my opinion this is an opportunity to rid the game of the accursed throw which will lead to less blanket defending and a more expansive game. Sometimes the ould fellas on the couch know what they`re talking about.

Hurling’s new rules trial is doomed to fail, insists DCU’s head of Gaelic games Paul O’Brien (msn.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭verizon

“I don’t know any hurler who throws the ball. They do it fast. Players have to operate at such a fast level . . . none of them are throwing it. It’s just a really quick action.

That's a very naive statement while making an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

My thoughts exactly. But there`s a whole new generation now that know of no other way and have it all down to a fine art. I haven`t seen any of the Fresher games but I would imagine it must be all very stop start if the refs are strictly enforcing the new rule with lots of the players making errors. Very frustrating to watch as a coach in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

The first few games of it there were 3-5 frees a game, but the most recent round of games had only 1 free for an incorrect hand pass.

Compare that with probably 50-60 “throws” a game during the summer!

The hand pass should be banned entirely, it was never part of the game and isn’t required the only reason it’s here is that players that were surrounded had no choice because the referees were penalising them for over carrying.

• Advertisement

Only two home games in the national hurling league, so we will be under pressure straight away.Wexford at home Feb.4 Cork away six days later then Offaly at home and the last two games away to Waterford and Clare last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I would say Larks and Gorta, the fact that the 3 city clubs have only produced 2 top intercounty forwards in 20 years is a serious indictment on what their doing. Their just drifting along and hoping a great forward will just appear. They need to start coaching forwards. Identify the players who have the basic skill set and coach them up. Another issue with the town clubs having such big numbers is perhaps the young lads might not get enough games consistently and if they fail to impress their dropped or moved around the field and when a smaller club has less options (sometime they have no options) so a young lad gets a lot more chances to learn his position. Every now and again you will have guys who have an innate ability and it just comes easier to them but you can create very good forwards by coaching them properly. They might not be the most insanely talented forwards ever but they can still rack up the scores, look at some of the Limerick forwards who are no TJ Reid but their insanely effective. Limerick are one of the best coached teams we've ever seen. I think all the city teams need to figure out how to coach forwards and to implement it for their underage teams. I think their all being negligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

Agree fully, bring in 2 or 3 18/19 year olds now and put massive investment in them, S&C, diet, coaching. Confidence, experience and mental strength will follow. Not look at them from afar for 2 years and decide if they are good enough or not, bring them in for 4 weeks and drop them off the panel. There is one particular player only 18 who I have seen this year and really like, now is the time to invest in these players, we also need a couple of lads around 6ft 2,3" to come in, lot of smaller players seem to be called in, we need a balance. The taller player usually take longer to develop but usually peak better in the mid 20s. Example, Gorta, TJ, Mick Fennelly, Brian Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Plus - Gorta emerged more than 20 years ago. So on that time frame, its actually only 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The best of luck to all the teams that are representing our County this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The coaching of forwards is essential I think . Waiting for a new DJ or Eoin Larkin is like waiting for a Lotto win. Id say Tom Morrissey would have been lost in the Kilkenny system. Not particularly skillfull or fast but unbelievably effective. Even Hegarty might have been lost in Kilkenny..he only came good at 23.

Iv watched alot of the Kilkenny championship on TGfour. There's some excellent raw talent ..lacking size allright . Guys seem to be waiting to be conditioned by the Club seniors..Thats a personal thing... needs to be done as a lifestyle necessity. The biggest issue I see with Kilkenny forward play is the lack of gameplan and structure. There is a plan up to midfield and then zilch..Like what is the plan when the centre forward gains possession in the middle.. its all off the cuff stuff..ain't gonna work over 70 mins at intercounty . Tipperary clubs are still at that aswell, off the cuff ,great to watch but the likes of Kiladangan haven't a snowballs chance in hell of beating Na Piarsaigh or Ballygunner.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

A Health and Safety issue with Nolan Park.

The hand rail on the way up to the main stand is not suitable for children or the elderly.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Congratulations to Thomastown and tullougher on their respective victories.

How did Marty Murphy, Zach bay and stephen donnelly hurl? 3 prospects imo

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Stephen Donnelly was ok, other two didnt line out, Glennon went off after 20mins wth an injury.

Tullogher match was an embarassment, was always going to be a win, but Laois lads apparently were at a wedding in KK yesterday. One of the most one sided matches I've ever seen.

Thomastown very good, ref gave huge amount to Cloughbawn in 2nd half out of sympathy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭droppingball

Yeah Stephen Donnelly was far quieter yesterday, didn't get on as much ball. Did well on the frees near the end alright.

Zach was togged but didn't get a run, still recovering from a hamstring although looked to be moving ok in the warm up.

Thomastown won the game at their ease and took foot of the gas in the second half. They won 95% of their puckouts in the first half most of which went straight to hand which was very impressive. The half forward line of John Donnelly, luke Connellan and Robbie Donnelly done all the damage. John Donnelly was involved on everything and Connellan got some great scores from the sideline.

Ref had a decent first half and then took it on himself to get Cloughbawn back into the game. Dished out a few yellows for nothing fouls for very little and a red and then let Cloughbawn away with everything and the more they got away the more reckless they were getting . So the full time whistle couldn't come quickly enough.

The pitch in bellefield was top class for time of year in fairness and nice venue to watch a match, so credit to Raparees for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Anyone read the Powers interview in the Irish Times?Doesn't paint a good picture for the future of Kilkenny hurling. Stark to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Its a disgrace our County board have let things go so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Some of you read that article and thought Kilkenny hurling is in trouble. I read it and thought that football and hurling are in trouble.

Far too much is expected these days. A lot of people forget it is not just sport, it is amateur sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Yes, far too much is expected these days but what do we do? Look at the efforts that are being made in other counties with allocating resources/funds to training and facilities etc. One thing that Power mentioned was that weve had the same single sponsor for the last 20 years. Its been fantastic but surely this can be worked on to get 2 or 3 top sponsors. Firstly lets address the shambolic dunmore situation. I was in Portlaoise on Saturday to watch Tullogher v Colt and the match was played in LOETB. This is one of 2 centres of excellence in Portlaoise. We have Dunmore. What a shambles. The 2 pitches in Dunmore arent that bad but we need to do so much better. The only example of a reasonably good setup is the Kells Road. Surely the county board can come up with a better plan than Dunmore, get some grant assistance and allow another sponsor to plough some money into a new setup or else bring Dunmore up to a better standard than it is currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Agreed on the facilities. Dunmore is a very poor cousin to many other counties, even counties with a smaller population than Kilkenny. Carlow have great facilities in the SETU and Fenagh, Offaly have superb facilities in Faithful Fields, Monaghan in Cloghan, all smaller counties but with fantastic facilities.

To quote Martin Fogarty "Kilkenny will always have hurlers" and "weights wont put the ball over the bar for you". A lot of the current problems are because of this sort of ideology

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭robwen

Wasn't Phil Hogan brought in recently to head up a new corporate financing committee to raise money to improve & develop facilities & raise funds in general for GAA in the county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Kilkenny arent that far behind really. I wouldnt be as critical as the Powers. However the last 20 mins of the All Ireland laid bare the gap. Its big enough. Definately a centre of excellence and access to nutritionists and dietitians, psychologists. Like there's no going back...standards are only getting higher.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement