Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Tullaroan had a deserved win over a poor Castlecomer side. They had 10 different scorers but the concession of 4 goals made it tighter than it should have been. Padraig Walsh had some spectacular catches in a half back line that dominated. Apart from Jack Buggy, the Comer forward line struggled. They will also be disappointed with Conor Delaney and Michael Murphy in particular. John Walton chipped in with some good scores. I would give Tullaroan a chance against Clara and Comer have to be concerned about relegation.

17 wides meant that Clara came up short against the Bridge who will need all their injured players back to have any chance against Shamrocks. David Blanchfield, Liam Blanchfield and Willie Murphy were best for the Bridge. Liam Ryan did well for Clara whilst Chris Bolger had a very good first half. Overall Clara looked the better team

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Marrooned

The treatment of Harry Shine in the minor final on Saturday wasn’t the first time this happened. It also happened against the village in dunmore the previous fortnight although it wasn’t a mentor but I think it was a parent. As previously mentioned this is appalling carry on to verbally abuse a player let alone a young lad either the club these people are involved with should take action or the county board should. I was very surprised to see Pat Hartley blatantly abuse Harry from the sideline on more than one occasion.As I said previously I knew tullougher would put it up to us and contributed to a great final. Just sort out your mentor and tell him that is not acceptable and he doesn’t represent the club, also an apology mightn’t go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭davidx40

What was Pat Hartley up to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I didn't see it in the second half as I was at the Loughlins end of the field but they were just shouting at each other every time anything happened involving Shine or they came into each others orbit which was a lot as Hartley was camped on the Tullogher defenders side of the field to issue instructions. Shine put a ball over the bar in the first half right in front of Hartley and turned around jeering him and wagging the finger and then Hartley gave it back to him. The two of them looked to be at it to me but ones a kid and ones an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Junior draw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Shine reacted after he took the free as the Tullogher mentor had verbally abused him beforehand. The mentor continued his poor conduct throughout. Not for the first time, linesmen ignored the carry on. Poor from all round when there's kids involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tobefair

I am reading this the last 24 hours and as a neutral at the match the Maroon keyboard warriors need to move on. Firstly what a game of hurling one of the best underage games I have witnessed in 10/15 year and that was hugely contributed to by Paul Cahill as referee, there was big hits both sides(fair) and he let the game flow. Tullogher/Rosbercon can be very proud of there effort, I have witnessed so called big clubs play Dicksboro over the years(including my own) and just fold at the sight of the names or jerseys. As for Harry Shine he was well marshalled by an outstanding centre back for Tullogher who maybe got a couple of points himself, he caught a ball over Shine under the new stand in his own half back line and put it straight back over the bar.(worth my 10euro entrance fee). Shine did pick up a few handy points handed out to him in the first half. Tullogher players and management(one in particular) did not allow him to drift into space free and pick up loose ball, always had bodies ready to track him, and Harry did not like this. Dicksboro had 3/4 players better than Shine on the day, both midfielders, Hackett and Keenan were pacey and good on the ball, Matthey Kelleher was contender for Man of the match, he was the go to man for Dicksboro, they brought on Raggett as a sub and he was another handful. Tullogher had 3/4 heroic performers, there is electricity in the air when Glennon gets on the ball. Very direct and a player to watch going forward. Lar and Marty Murphy were outstanding and there ability to win primary possession is something I have not seen in Kilkenny underage hurling in a long time.

On another not there was some outstanding individual performances from players mentioned above particular Kelleher for the Boro and Murphy centre back for Tullogher, Hackett midfield for Dicksboro who were not on the Kilkenny Minor team this year. Leaves me asking serious questions about Kilkenny Minor management team last few years, clearly all the best players were not on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

tobefair, a very informative post on the minor match. I would suggest however that you might read previous posts in which every poster remarked about what an excellent game it was. And great credit was given to both sides. Don't just dismiss posters as keyboard warriors just because they highlighted the poor conduct of one of your own mentors. I can see why you might want to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

Very unlucky Lisdowney yesterday. They are proving a hard team to beat. Hopefully they can stay up. Comer are going dreadful. They are under serious pressure to avoid relegation. Is all not right with Fogarty and the players?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 revanaghkk

Village and Boro should be a cracker. I was at the Tullaroan v Comer game yesterday and Tullaroan have a great chance now of making the semi - finals as it looks as if Lester Ryan has a hamstring problem. Heard Clara hit a lot of wides v Bbridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

The boro haven't being hurling well and although they were a little better than lisdowney yesterday they very easily could of drew or got beaten.They are missing oillie Walsh,Tom Kenny and Robbie Fitz along with a few others so thats huge for any team.Lisdowney are probably punching above their weight but a very hard working balanced team and have being very close in most games.After looking at the rower Saturday I'd give lisdowney the nod.

Timmy Clifford was very good at wing back and bill sheehan got a fortunate goal but himself and Andy gaffney are a threat.Aidan nolan wasn't great the last few matches.Id say the boro didn't score for the last ten minutes so this has to be a worry.

I didn't see the village match but conor browne hasn't played since he picked up that injury against Dublin and he is obviously a huge loss.

Comer were very disappointing and Wallace and delaney weren't as dominant as they should of being.Michael Murphy is only back and was quite.Fogarty tried hard and went into the forwards in the second half.Padraig and Martin Walsh were good and Shane was very lively and is hurling very well and is definitely one who should definitely be given a proper run with the county next year.

Tullaron will fancy their chances especially if Lester is gone.Bolger started brilliantly but fizzled out.Liam Ryan got a few scores to keep clara in it but willie Murphy got a few great points to nudge the bridge ahead.liam Blanchfield got 4 points and Jason cleere has played the last few matches in attack.They also have Rob lennon,ciarian brennan and Sean morrisey to return for probably the match of the wknd against the shamrocks who had to work hard against ballycallan.Paddy and Darren mullen both came on but adrian Is out with a broken hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

From what I heard Adrian's issue is a cut and infection rather than broken but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

With all the recent discussion about underage hurling in the county on here, there are a few things I would like to see the county board address in the future. If we can't get the basics right how can we expect to be any better at the rest of it.

Firstly, every underage county championship final should be held in Nowlan Park. I think it does the young lads a disservice to hold them anywhere else.

Secondly, a referee should bring linesmen AND umpires to county finals. It is unacceptable to ask the managers of the two teams to nominate umpires minutes before a final and it is totally unfair on the young lads to have partisan umpires trying to infuence the outcome of a final.

Thirdly, is it too much to ask that a pitch is properly set up for a final? Things like flags around the perimeter and proper goals that don't have holes in the nets and 1 meter plastic piping pretending to be posts (some in different colours at that!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Is this in regards to the U13 final at the weekend? I heard there was an "incident" between 2 umpires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

It's in regard to the poor setup in general. The umpires "incident" was one issue but as outlined above, the whole thing was a lazy effort by the county board and should be done better. I heard that there was an issue in another underage final at the same venue where a hole in the net caused some confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

That Dunmore is an awful place for a match nevermind a County Final. Was talking to a Co Board rep a few weeks back at a match in Callan. He said they aimed to have all underage finals bar minor in Dunmore. As if it's a grounds to be proud of.....pitches back to back are a joke along with parking and exiting. Keep it for Development squads and challenge matches.

Plenty of good club grounds in the County if Nowlan Park unavailable far superior to Dunmore.

Umpire issue is not acceptable for a Co.Final for sure. If matches were outside of Dunmore surely the host club could provide an umpire or two if referee was let down at last minute.

Some interesting odds for hurling. Kilkenny are 6th favourites for the AI in 2022 at odds of 11/1 behind Lk., Galway, Cork, Waterford and Tipp in that order.

On the club scene, Ballyhale are favourites followed by Clara, OLG, Boro,Village, Mullinavat, Tullaroan and Bennettsbridge. The Bridge and Tullaroan are both 20 to 1. The Bridge are 4/1 to beat Ballyhale. Village and Dicksboro are evens in their match, Tullaroan are outsiders against Clara as are Mullinavat against OLG

Slightly off topic here but I was talking to a guy who was at the u13 match and he was impressed with the standard on show and he was optimistic about the future.How did we get on with our improved development squads this year?ciarian muldowney definitely had good ideas and former players were getting on board.We have being very slow to react to this.The stats don't lie It's 2014 since minor and 2008 since u21.Its now 2021 and we are only reacting.We were stuck in a time zone and we needed to look at what galway or cork recently have done at underage.

Waterford and clare have gone back to basics and putting plans in place.Cork really got their act together and are coming.Our neighbours in offally and wexford have being putting in the hard work.The gym in kierans will hopefully be a help because particularly at u20 we have being blown away.Mick dempsey was recently appointed a director of some sorts.What will his role be?

It was interesting to hear Stephen o keefe won't be returning to the Waterford panel and is happy enough to bow out quietly.Do we expect Colin fennelly to return next year?I expect a few retirements.Ive went to a good few club matches the last few weeks and the standard is still very high.Some teams are adapting better to the modern game.Bennetsbridges season hinges on Sundays match with the shamrocks. The winners of the kk championship will face conor phelans mount leinster rangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Was talking to a parent with a lad involved. Little has changed same lads over squads with 20 years 2 guest appearances all year by former players

• Advertisement

This is very disappointing.I know it might take a little time to get things off the ground but that sounds very poor.i thought with the bit of noise highlighting our lack of success or our acceptance to be happy to be just competing that people in power might get together with a positive plan or maybe go outside the county for a template.It doesn't suprise me and unfortunately.

Can someone tell me what is mick dempseys new role?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

From what I've heard he will be chairing the committee to draft a report on the state of hurling and structures in Kilkenny. There will be recommendations in it at the end I assume. He has be involved in similar reports in Offaly and Laois and I'm sure other counties. He won't have any role in making sure the recommendations are acted on as far as I'm aware. I could be wrong on that but that's my understanding of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Any update on when/if the potential under 19/under 20 or Under 21 competitions will be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Agree 100% re finals being played in Nowlan Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

I see the county board are starting to form an under 17 panel for next yr. Calling in 5 from each club including next yrs under 16s.

2 well worked early goals by Paddy Deegan and Mark Bergin helped OLG to a deserved 6 points victory over a game Mullinavat team. OLG had 3 other goal chances and it looks like they are trying to set up goal chances rather than take easy points. Lawlor, Deegan and Molloy did best for the Gaels. Vat got 5 points from their midfielders, Willie O'Dwyer also battled hard

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭droppingball

Looking forward to a bumper Sunday of action today, great spread of games.

Only saw the intermediate league final yesterday, think it might be time to scrap the league finals. Eoin Murphy didn't start for glenmore and they made two subs in the first half. Thomastown made 4 changes from start including John Donnolly and Jonjo and took off a few important players as well.

Senior was the same the week before, it is a nuisance to clubs at this stage, it would be one thing if it was two weeks out but week before makes it pointless. As for the shield final totally pointless.

Are all the draws on tonight or tomorrow night does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

In a tight schedule with the club scene you have to wonder would it be not best declaring winners on scoring averages or point difference talking to a player he has more shield medals second best is what he called them.

The draws are this evening and agree that the league finals are a waste of time.I think carrickshock picked up a few injuries in the shield final

I also went to the olg match and thought they were better and just found it hard to finish the match against a stubborn Vegas side who were missing a few important players.Mark bergin had two good goal chances hit nearly identical at the keeper.I thought Robbie Buckley was very good when he came on and paddy deegan was a constant threat bringing others into the game.

Skeough beating windgap must go down as a surprise.Fenians done it again yesterday against a fancied dunnamaggin side.Tullogher had a fine win over ballyragget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Carrickshock would have been my dark horses for intermediate but if john power and mick rice are missing its hard to see them getting past a semi final,

Thomastown and Glenmore the two favourites, id say both were keeping their cards close to their chests yesterday.

watching Tullaroan and Clara on Beo sport, close battle, commentary are not afraid to call out the poor wides😂

Advertisement