Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I thoroughly agree with you. In addition to your post, the chap is doing his leaving cert this year. Surely being involved with the under 20s is enough distraction. Let's see how he progresses at this level before promoting him to senior.

He recently played with Good Counsel against Kilkenny CBS and other than scoring a goal I believe he didn't shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

I watched him in the county final Junior final this year and the Minor A county final 2 years back. Absolutely outstanding in both. Dicksboro have 2 players that day that are on the senior team and panel and Marty Murphy was the best player on the pitch by a long way that day. In the Junior final he was also outstanding and Freshford put Brian Kennedy on him, he was again fantastic. That is not a bad barometer to measure off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I was at that minor county final and the Kelleher chap from the Boro who I think was at 14 or 15 was the best player on the field followed by Shine who had his running battle with Hartley on the line that day.

I wasn't at the Junior final so can't comment on that but it's still Junior.

Fingers crossed for himself and Kilkenny he lives up to the hope some seem to have for him but he has a long long long way to go.

And I'll say no more as he's only 18

Kelleher was very good that day alright but i left disappointed in Shine. Not much scope compared to other players like Murphy. I would have him over a lot of young hurlers i have seen over the years with reputations . I am still waiting for Killian Doyle to stand out in " only junior" grade and some others, but from the 3 games i have seen so far i am very impressed, the other was also the junior semi final .

last week i stated that young Foley from Wexford was an outstanding talent and better than anything his age in Kilkenny, some members got very offended. I thought he backed that up last Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Does anyone know the score of this match? I work in Limerick and the amount of crap I have to listen to, it's nauseating. They're all like Shane Dowling, you'd swear they invented hurling. I need a stick to beat them with even if its only a twig!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Have to agree with you on Marty Murphy I’m not convinced by him either I saw him before Christmas playing the Boro U21 B team in Tullougher and he was far from impressive and actually either was Danny Glennon. And on a totally different note. Besides “for change’s” negativity would you ever stop omitting words it gets very hard to read.

Just on Buckley and Fogarty, it’s an open question personally I did not think it served any purpose bringing on either on Sunday, it tells us nothing. Two weeks ago in Callan he played the Thomastown lads who were hardly recovered from the previous week’s exertions, he could have done worse by introducing both Zac Bay and Stephen Donnelly on Sunday and see how they would have played.

Name me 3 young and up and coming forwards who you are "convinced" by ? I can tell you there is not many i have seen and some of them are parachuted into the Kilkenny panel straight away.

Cathal O'Leary is another with potential. Yes he needs work but he has plenty of scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

We have a tendency to overhype young players in Kilkenny. Maybe we are desperate to end the famine. Lyng has thrown some of these in at the deep end and they have sunk. No real great prospects in the 19 to 21 age bracket I'm afraid. Certainly not a future TJ Reid anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lob it in

I think you should go get another hobby hurling seems to upset you and your negativity is just laughable at this stage.You slag off and run down Players,managers,county board officials,Referees anybody that has anything to do with the game.

It ok to have negative opinions every now and then but you need to balance them with some positivity otherwise you just come across as very bitter which you do to be honest.

• Advertisement

It seems, had a young 18 year old been on the 55 man panel, we'd have beaten Wexford last Sunday! Don't know why Lyng is going to so much bother trying so many players when just one, or two, that he's not trying , would beat any team on their own!

KK 2-19 LK0-08 please bear in mind that Limerick could have had a lot of their U20 players on the senior panel on Sunday.

Ridiculous post

I stated i thought he would be on the panel now as he has serious potential, great striker and about 6ft 4". That is all i stated, with proper strength and conditioning and coaching there could be something different in a couple of years. I also seen some potential in Cathal O' Leary. I have been stating for years how Kilkenny are very poor at adult and underage level and forum members asked me for alternatives. Now i mention 2 and i still get snide comments. Lets keep bringing all these forwards that are far to small and get blown away at inter county level. Shine is no different, Owen Wall, G Dunne the same, my own club man Tadhg, Bill Sheehan, John Walsh the list is endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

See, I'd be of the opinion that Dunne could be top class. Lacking a bit of pace but his skill level and ball control are unreal. Presume he's injured at the minute.

Thanks for the update. I imagine we were missing the CBS and Kierans players with their schools final on tomorrow. I believe the minors won narrowly against Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Murphy does look a good prospect and hopefully he can go well with the u20s. I thought looking at the both teams sunday we had a bigger team physically but wexford played to their strenghts but i would say wexford have a good bit more done.It will be intresting to see how they get on against the 3 munster teams.kk havent a great record in cork. He will probably bring back deegan. He will have to make a few changes anyway. The lack of fowards we are producing is a concern.

I heard scally saying on the kk podcast fionn macasey from kerry is switching to o O'Loughlins. He is moving to kilkenny. I actually met him after the all ireland last year in kilkenny. He lined out for kerry yesterday and is a good hurler. He would be a good help to loughlins.

I heard the minors drew either way the challenge matches underage seem to be positive this year it’s always good to be winning or at least been very competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Marty is a fine hurler, allied to his size and an excellent ability to win aerial ball and strike from distance will hopefully excel with the u20s but that's where he should stay and hopefully in a few years will come on to the senior panel

Should we be using U20 hurlers unless they were exceptional players, I don’t think so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Cathal O'Leary was a sub for Freshford in quite a few games last year. Would he not want to nail down a spot on his club's junior team before we start thinking about him as a county hurler??

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

I'm fairly certain with O'Leary that was down to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

In or around that time Marty was carrying an injury and was probably played on too many teams last year, for e.g. he would have had u19, Junior, Junior B, U21 and his schools team also, he really stepped up for Tullogher in the Championship last year in ALL games which I put more judgement on than when someone is playing but not fully right.

He has all the attributes for hurling intercounty, does need a bit of work on his speed but that can be worked with like Village87 has said if he was to be persisted with u20 and Senior panels over the coming years

Yes, I think almost every poster recognises his potential and that he needs time to develop. The under 20s is the ideal place for him, bearing in mind he has two years left at that grade. Absolutely no point in having him on the senior panel for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Savage performance from Kierans, but CBS will be bitterly disappointed, never got going at all.

Two Bridge lads for Kierans. Timmy Kelly and James Hughes were excellent. Rory Glynn and Hunt tortured their markers all day. Ed Lauhoff was also excellent. Ed Mc Dermott looked to be carrying an injury and went off limping early in 2nd half.

The Kierans backs were so much on top, but Jeff Neary is pure class, and will surely come in to consideration for seniors as soon as next year (maybe at 4?)

Kierans play winners of Athenry and ASR in semi, and I'd say the winners of that will win All Ireland (I thought Nenagh were very lucky to win Harty).

Kierans will be favourites to win it out but a lack of any real test so far, could leave them open to a sucker punch.

Very hard to see how CBS can regroup (play Loughrea I think), but they must be better than they looked today.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Fionan Mackassey from Kerry will be a huge addition to OLG, he is current Ireland poc fada champion, he was very good v Wexford in the preliminary quarter final in Tralee two years ago.

Big loss to Kerry though, or will be play club hurling in Kilkenny and county hurling still with Kerry.

There’s two anyway Billy Drennan and Harry Shine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Drennan is overage.

There was a few in there up to recently anyway. Bill hughes,langton,joe fitz,ted dunne.Being around that environment would of done them no harm.

Advertisement