Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Comerman

For once I agree with you Village anonymous in the game, bring him on when defenders get tired might be some hope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭kksaints

He shouldn't start next time out and nor should Heary. Drennan and Shine should be given an opportunity to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Lads, we have just beaten Cork in Pairc Ui Chaoimh .. the negativity in here is mind boggling.

Plenty of positives. The first 20 minutes was sublime. Great debuts @ 7 & 14. Some great passing and running in the first half. Great resolve shown to get back and grind out a win after losing our lead on 62 minutes.

Plenty to work on of course. Our puckout collapsed in the second half and some individuals didn't perform ... but it's only February so we will improve. Well Done Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Moosey15

My god the commentary tonight on RTE …… can someone please check poor Marty and Brendan are ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Comerman

Marty had an orgasam Anytime hoggy laid his hand on a ball 😘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

You do realise it's early February still??there's a lot going on with Fitzgibbon cup, Heavy Training and few players to come back on both teams.

Personally delighted with the win, we were far from perfect obviously with puckouts, players constantly playing/coming on and we know for a long time they not doing enough to be consistently picked for Kilkenny, but management clearly don't have enough faith in other panel members.

In saying all that positive performances from Murphy on high balls (He doesn't get enough credit for his catching as he's not a tall man) and shots to save, Huw Lawlor, Tommy Walsh impressive, Blanchfield is getting better, rarely puts a foot wrong, Shane Murphy was outstanding, he'll get great confidence from that tonight.

Cian Kenny brilliant at the short Game, Mullen showed his class infairness like Eoin Cody in 1st half, I would still stay working with Heary just feels like he lacks bit of confidence more than anything at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Along with this I thought Carey was excellent at times. Yes, there were times when he lost his way but overall I thought himself and Kenny worked well together. Some of the passing in the 1st 25 mins was very good so there are some good signs with a lot to work on also.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Just in the door a great day in Cork.

U20’s won by 5pts. Seniors won and minors unfortunately lost by 9 pts. But drove a lot of wides and can certainly improve like the other teams above stop picking the short ball, it’s not our game and when we play the long ball things happen for us.

Very seldom we win in Cork, enjoy it I forget when we last won down there. I was certainly at as I don’t miss any just the memory isn’t great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

A lot of positives, as you said. We were never going to keep that level of performance up from start to finish at this time of year. Cork were always going to have their purple patch. Credit to the players for digging in and getting the win. Management made timely required substitutions, which is encouraging.

Travelling to the match I was hoping Cork wouldn't run us off their pitch. At half time I was hoping for a draw, at least. In the end I was delighted with the win. Long journey home, but happy out.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Think it was 2015 maybe 16 game was in pairce rinn j power scored a last minute winner keeper pucked the ball straight to him and he put it back over the bar

Cork were wearing some kind of navy jersey for some reason I think if my memories right

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I think that was a centenary jersey in 2016 or thereabouts. The original Cork colours were blue and yellow.

Post edited by Pablo Escobar on

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jamesbond2022

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭mullinr2

A big concern for Kilkenny is that once we lose momentum we never get it back. It happened 4 times in last years championship, twice against Galway; against Clare and finally in the final against Limerick where we were winning at half time. Eoin Cody is a prime example of a player who fades out of a game. He was brilliant in the first half last night but completely faded in the 2nd; ditto in the All Ireland final. Once teams get a run on us like Clare last year we fall apart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I agree with you to a point but we definitely didn’t fall apart last night, a lot of teams would drop the heads if they ended up falling behind away from home having held a nine point lead at one stage but I thought our lads showed a bit of character to come back and win the game.

And I agree with you. I don't understand how anyone would have expected Kilkenny to keep up the momentum throughout the entire match. Cork are a decent team and were always going to get their purple patch at some stage. Nobody expected Kilkenny to perform like they did in the first half. Now they're despondent that they couldn't maintain it for 70 minutes.

It is early in the year and we're still experimenting. We got 2 points that we weren't expecting.

I do think our fitness/stamina programme does need to be considered following fade outs in championship matches in recent years, as per previous poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

David Blanchfield is turning into Kilkenny's most important player. He is immense, how good was he getting back to Luke Meade to stop a certain goal, great pace, so composed on the ball, great in the air and great striker. With Lawlor and Blanchfield we have 2 backs to go to war with anyone in the country. Not convinced by the 2 corner backs, Cork could easily have scored 3/4 goals last night, Kingston absolutely bottled it every time he was in position to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Edit... Never mind

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lob it in

Marty Morrissey was embarrassing on the commentary last night in the first half when Kilkenny were on top all he kept talking about was how poor Cork were,never praised Kilkenny once, he even let a groan midway through the first half for one of Adrian Mullens points.

In the second half when Cork were on top the excitement in his voice was in stark contrast to the first half and him and Cummins were cheerleading Cork all through the second half and the utter disappointment in both there voices when Kilkenny got the winning score and eventually won was very obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭BQQ

I think you’re reading a bit too much into it

Cork were very poor in the first half. It’s natural that commentary would be a bit downbeat as the anticipated close game turned out to be one-sided - then turn more upbeat as the game got close again

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lob it in

Ok, but that wouldn't explain why the two of them sounded disappointed Kilkenny got the winner and not the other way around,the national broadcaster should impartial when commentating on games.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Cummins and Marty repeatedly describing a belt of a hurl to the side of Wally's head as he struck for goal as a "slight hook" wasn't a great bit of commentary/analysis

The last time we won in pairc ui chaiomh was way back in 2005. We won twice in 25 and 26 but that was in pairc ui rinn.

Just think of that for a moment 2005 no negative comments for an hour. The management and team must be congratulated on this historic win. Look at the national media’s negative anti KK comments. Would you think Cork supporters would be cutting the shite out of their team if they had won last night. We’re a great crowd for that and half of ye didn’t bother ye’re arse making the trip down for one reason or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Nice to get any kind of a win below in cork. Lehane got 4 points which Corcoran wouldnt be happy about but ronan should of had 2 himself. I think it was richie reid i seen in a boot. We are calling out for a center back. Shane murphy was very good and got caught ball watching for the goal he slipped in behind but he can be very happy with his evening work.Blanch does give us great legs and is a big addition. Mikey and kenny got through a lot of work and chipped in with 3 points.Eoin cody does drift in and out of games but he did play a college match Wednesday and a league match last sunday. Mullen was excellent and worked himself into the ground. Drennan made a difference when he came on and showed vision laying on the ball to wally. Wally should of buried that effort.Overall they will be happy with a win and much better than last week.

The u20s had a nice win over cork aswell both teams were missing a few.

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-41329156.html

Post edited by brookville on

Sorry one of the previous texts should have been 2015 and 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭BQQ

Yeah, I’m sure there’s a bit of truth in it, but I think circumstances made it look worse than it was

I do believe they’re trying to be impartial, but sometimes their preference will leak out

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

Marty would be as well jog on. He'd be better off doing a game show for aul wans

• Advertisement

Good win for Tipp. Semple stadium was in a shocking condition I see the big scoreboard was sponsored by UPMC . Are we getting one of them for Nowlan park.

Advertisement