Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Yesterday's match between Clara and Tullaroan was one of the most entertaining matches that I have been at this year and a credit to both teams. Clara had chances to win at the end of normal time but credit to Tullaroan for fighting back twice after conceding goals. Padraig Walsh was inspirational for Tullaroan ending up with 6 points and was the difference between the teams.

I thought that the Boro were slightly the better team but were sunk by a goal, possibly too many steps taken.

Not sure what happened the Bridge yesterday. Seemed to start extremely nervously and too many of their team who had played well this year never got into the game. Joey Cuddihy is finally showing some of the form that made him look like a good prospect at minor level. Could get a call into the county panel if he keeps playing well or is playing with an outstanding team makes him look good? Eoin Cody continuing in good form

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Like I said, it needs a change of mindset. Why do U13 games have to be so competitive that they couldn’t show some respect to 15 or 16 year olds? You're talking primary school kids.

Sure it'd be a huge leap. But it would at least be a start to have them reffing Go Games, blitzes and the like. As you can see from the reaction here it is a big problem. And we definitely need a way of lowering the age profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

No issue with them reffing Go Games whatsoever and that should be encouraged (fairly sure this already goes on to be fair) but giving a 15 or 16 year old the responsibility of any game from U13 up is ridiculous. They're highly likely to be in school with the teams they're reffing and it puts crazy pressure on them. Imagine the abuse they'd take in school or online. None of them would want to put themselves out there.

Again, like I said, a change of mindset needed. Zero tolerance for abuse and back chat. It's not tolerated in Rugby, where you very often have the same kids and parents involved. Why is it tolerated in Hurling / GAA?

If we want to address this problem fundamental changes are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Bitoffun4477

First and foremost to affect any change . The gaa as a whole need to tackle the abuse of officials. It's common place at every game now . Always somebody with issue with official . Some posts here even prove that point . They all have their opinion and all know better how to do it than the guys putting themselves out there to do the job.

There needs to be zero tolerance attitude to it and one that's achieved you would have any amount of guys willing to take it up.

It's just got progressively worse over last number of years and social media has taken it to new levels . Ask any players coming to end of Careers playing to take it up and from 50 players I'd be surprised if you got 1 as it currently is . And Thier answer for not doing it , always is they wouldn't take the **** that's dished out . As previous poster says total mindset change needed by everybody before you can go forward. Same thing over and over with every recruitment at the minute . Get 20 to do course do first few games and lucky if you have 3 left from that 20 few weeks later all down to grief they take at games . They not even getting chance to develop before the get fed up of the grief

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

Cuddihy is a really good hurler, some of his points yesterday were top drawer.

If Ballyhale were to win KK and he continued that form into Leinster club etc he could well get a call in.

When you think of it, is there anybody from Ballyhale who is not a good hurler 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Yes, 8 mins played in an u14 match , until the bigger name club equalised ....

every game has a story about the ref. Minor errors are of course part and parcel of any sport, but blatant game changers should not happen. Should not.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

not much effort put into that?

Thats not really going to convince anyone that might be thinking about it.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

Exposure is something I think the gaa are missing with refs. I don’t think changing the fee from €50 to €100 will suddenly get a massive influx, but if they were treated with more respect and shown more limelight it would be more interesting to people.

(possibly do this already) but they should do some sort of profile of the refs for big games. For club and county match , similar to player profiles, give ref profiles in the match programme.

Make a bit of an announcement about the ref for the county finals on social media and let their clubs and friends congratulate or ‘share’ the info.

if I was a senior ref I would get all refs together and make a stand to the county board that if there is excessive abuse at any match from u13 to senior, the ref has the right to abandon the match and award the game to the other team. Or even simpler, an automatic penalty if a selector shouts abusive language. If they knew they had the backing of county board, it would only need to happen once or twice to make an impact.

Theres not an unlimited amount of lads who would like to be refs, but I guarantee there’s a good few more out there who would do it but for the fear of the abuse they’d get.

do rugby have the same shortage? If not, then you’d imagine the lack of abuse in that game, must be something to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Very, very dissappointed with the Boro this year. After last year I was expecting them to be the main threat to Ballyhale or maybe even push on an win a Championship. They seemed to go backwards this year under new management. The Village have probably passed them out in the pecking order imo. The only thing that will beat Ballyhale this year are injuries.

Anyone at the Mooncoin/Galmoy match? Heard both teams had Galmoy won by a point but the ref had it as a draw after normal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Clara v tullaron was a very enjoyable match.I thought tullaron were the better team but clara got the two goals to keep them in the game.Tommy popped up everywhere.Padraig pushed up in attack and was excellent and tullaron deserve credit for being brave and pushing him up.Walton moved from midfield to corner forward and was also very good.Olg and tullaron will both fancy being in a final.

Dicksboro I agree have being dissapointing.I take the point they've being the last team to win the county final apart from the shamrocks.They have dominated underage and should be doing more at senior. They probably should of won the other day and the goal the free was given after David Hughes blew the whistle but the boro had a couple of chances after it which they wasted.3 balls went into larkin and he made them stick and this was crucial.He won a free and threw the ball out.The village will wonder what might have being if they brought him on last year when they had the shamrocks bet.The village will get great confidence from this win and they won't fear the shamrocks like others.

It was bizarre to see the bridge playing nicky cleere as sweeper and the concession of all them goals in the league was probably the thinking behind this.You have to give shamrocks credit they're just efficient and get the job done.Paddy and Adrian mullen should be nearly back the next day.Joey cuddihy has had a good year and hopefully will kick on from the promise he showed as minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

A friend from the Boro was reminding me of the players they were missing through injury and other players who were only back from injury. Missing through injury were Tom Kenny, captain, Ollie Walsh, Chris Kavanagh, P Moylon. Recently returned from injury, Andy Gaffney, Robbie Fitz and his brother Conor. Under the circumstances the Boro did well as the Village can count themselves lucky to scape past them. Timmy Clifford, minor last year, gave a great account of himself and with other good minor prospects to add to those missing this year, the Boro should be back near the top next year. In addition, the new management team should be more clued in.

I do agree that's huge amount at club level to cope with and only the shamrocks could deal with injuries like that.They had Darren mullen just back and very rusty.Paddy and Adrian missing and eoin reid.Im certainly not here to slate the boro I'm sure they will be back competing next year and will hope to bring through some of the 3x minor winners.They could of very easily won that match and will be dissapointed but I watched them a few times this year and they never really got going at all maybe the departure of bonner didn't help.They do probably need management to stay on because there's plenty more in that group.They should go very close to winning that junior.Do boro folks think half back is Clifford's best position?

Moving onto the semi finals they should be two good matches.Olg and tullaron have improved game on game.The bhale match was probably a turning point for tullaron but the match last Sunday will take alot out of them.Olg season changed when they beat the boro.Deegan has improved in attack and they have a few lively subs to bring on.

I think the village are the only team left that can beat the shamrocks.The age profile is good and lads like scanlon and brassil especially have filled out but they need to have conor browne back and another big performance from tadgh dwyer and cian kenny who was excellent last weekend and although he wasn't great for the county u20s he has put in some very good performances for his club.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chg1980

I actually bumped into a former ref from my own club last night out walking his dog... And in fairness he backed up everything that was said here from what ever ref was posting... He said the reason he gave it up there was no incentive he had trouble with a club involving a prominent official and he stopped getting games... He said there asked to do a fitness test each year and with the exception of one or two guys it's nearly the least fit or the lads who don't turn up that are giving the championship games this time of the year....

I suggested the above should the refs get together and take a stand and he said that was attempted before covid hit but went nowhere as referee's as a group won't stand together there will always be some who will pull against what the majority are doing seen it as there chance to get games.

He also said that refs get 40 for and adult game and 30 for underage but that upping the match fee would only encourage people to get into it for the wrong reasons... Can see his point there. He said the abuse most of the time is not to bad that most frustrating thing was the treatment from the county board.

On a different note some good games to look forward to this weekend the 2 games in nowlan Park have the potential to be crackers danesfort will be looking to over turn a heavy defeat in the league to Glenmore.. The first game should be evenly matched to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I witnessed a County board official continuously shouting at the ref at a match in Freshford a few weeks ago. Talk about setting an example.

Anyone out there see the relegation semis today? Predictions for the final?

I only listened to the first half of the Lisdowney Rower game on the radio and Rower sound a total shambles. Although its hard to tell as its more two lads at a match talking about stuff rather than commentary at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

Was at GBC V COMER. Comer hurled very well in 1st half yet found themselves a goal down at halftime. Ballycallans ability to get goals proved crucial and when they pushed up to play 3 on full forward in last 10mins they hit 1-3 without reply. You'd wonder why they didn't do it sooner as Comer spare man on alot of ball. Deserved win for GBC in a highly entertaining match. On this performance Comer should be ok, Murphy at 11 was back to his best, although you wouldn't pick out Comers 3 county men. Billy Ryan played well throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ttowncat

What's up with r hogan today that he's not playing? If it's an injury is it bad or lengthy.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Maybe Cody asked Danesfort to rest him as he intends using him more next year?

Bringing him on with 5 mins left instead of asking him to warm up during injuiry time but only if Mossy Keogan hasnt been brought on at least twice before that.

Carrickshock will be dissapointed they didn't win today.They had the winning of that match weren't as clinical as they needed to be.James maher grew improved as the game went on.

Richie came on early in the game and danesfort moved him all over the place to try get him into the game but glenmore were the better team and themselves and thomastown should be a very good match The winners of this would be tipped to win the final.Glenmore have a nice spread of forwards.Ian byrne is lively and eoin Murphy mopped up alot of ball in defence.

Thomastown were always comfortable enough against o loughlins although conor bergin had a couple of goal chances he didn't convert.Thomastown might need to tighten up a bit in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

Is there any truth that the players are not happy with management, talk of Fogarty being years behind. Looking at the team on paper they are limited. They are struggling and look destined for intermediate this year or in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Move over Conner its time for himself to stick it into Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Carrickshock fell asleep at the wheel they were 6 points up at one stage in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Was in the park today if ger alyward isn't still a intercounty hurler .we are waisting our time abrasive and direct .Young 🔥 a eye catcher .thomastown to go up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

I'm very confused by this post.

Are you saying Aylward should still be playing for Kilkenny?

And who's the young fire who's an eye catcher?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 revanaghkk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Neewollah

Advertisement