Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

Exactly. It's easy pontificate. People have plenty of day-to-day expenses as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

It's a long way to Clare in fairness, but you are right the negativity is a bit over the top. The players are an honest bunch but we are just a bit short on quality apart from the 3 ballyhale lads, blanchfield and Lawlor. If we could add John Walsh to that we could go far. No need for abuse some players received on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

Wexford are flying it because Rossiter was forced to play a lot of his under 20s in all of the league due to his first teamers from last year having injuries.

And instead of sinking the Wexford young lads are thriving.

I think David Franks coaching is having a huge influence on them young Wexford chaps.

Whether they fall flat on their arse in May remains to be seen, it’s still possible.

Expect another epic battle with KK v Wex in Nowlan Park on 26th May either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Good call. So many of our players being written off here without replacements being named, we may start up a sevens!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭The_Tank

errm I was there and I didn’t think it was a small crowd from Kilkenny

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

The game was level with a couple minutes to go and clare got the last few scores to win it. As already said the officiating made the game unwatchable. The umpires could see eoin murphy bring down a ball and give a point but cant see the aidan Mccarthy free that looked wide. Tj was in for a goal in the 1st half and he pulled it back. I thought clare were the better team and them last 2 semi final defeats was in a few of their minds.it was shocking reffing no matter what way you look at it.

As has being pointed out here loads of times its very dissapointing we are no closer to filling the few positions that have let us down the last few years.He is at least trying lads at midfield and pushing deegan up. If you dont try these things you will never know but unfortunately he is no further advanced.

We had 3 defenders in midfield and the fowards because we lack fowards. We seemed over keen on going for goals at times easy points were one. Clare were cynical and give away alot of frees so they need to tidy up here. We only scored a few points from play in the second half which is scandalous.

Our half back line were ran at and were in all sorts off bother but carey going back steadied things up.fitzgerald got 5 points from play and Shane murphy just couldnt get to grips with him.ennis is a tough place but given the team we had out and the players clare lost during the match it was dissapointing not to get the win.

Its a tricky one now against waterford who could do anything. That game definitely wont be straight foward but it could be awful on the eyes with all of daveys messing. We seem in woeful bother in the fowards. We cant score goals.Some of the ball that goes in is scandalous.we are a poorly coached team at times. Its early in the year and teams all have different targets but we havent looked at the problems and i dont think we are improving. Lyng had to put his stamp on the team this year but i dont see many changes.

To be fair to keith rossiter he bleeds wexford and knows the scene and comes across as a gent but they look to have a good bit more work done so it will be intresting to see can this be sustained.the league has being poor to be fair. Lets not forget they were lucky enough to draw with offally. Things could change after the cork match this weekend. He knew himself theres a rebuild on and deserves credit for keeping faith with the young lads. We struggle to bring lads through and it has to be a big concern. I dont know if we will get many from that u20 team two years ago.Harry shine will need all the exposure he can get but its a long time since we heard of a star player coming through the ranks.

Ive no doubt mick fennelly will do a good job and you could here the passion and pride in his voice but scrolling through social media last week i see all this kind of work is going on in the top counties. We are only starting to get our house in order but worryingly teams are years ahead

Clare got embarrassed by cork in the minor 3 years ago and had a proper review and went back to basics with good men like donal maloney and had a few lads playing yesterday and won a minor all ireland last year. They have a few good prospects.Kierans is skewed and isnt a proper reflection and doesnt do some players any good preparing them for the next step. You would wonder how things are only changing now despite not winning a minor or senior in so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Marrooned

You must of been in the Kilkenny section. Were you the one roaring when the KK team ran out on the pitch.

Hopefully Mick Fennelly can turn things around in less than 3 years like Clare did.

Are you saying that Clare had minor players from last year on their team yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

No im saying their minor was in dissaray a few years ago and it made headlines everywhere ythey were beaten by 50 points.They had a few players from that panel involved sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Maybe because people don't have to answer to you..the arrogance of people amazes me sometimes..you come across very teacher/preacher like on here at times...which would explain all the free time to be a super fan ..Do you want people to post pictures of.ticket stubs before you allow them to speak?

There.are people on here.who live abroad .what about them?

For the record sir I could have travelled Sunday but did not for numerous reasons none of which are any of your business..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

jesus..... 😣

There used to be better discussions in here - now its just echo chamber sh1te from the usuals.. (used to be easier read them too!!)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

The most disappointing aspect for me was Clare were missing 4 All Stars, lost 3 good players to injury and still won. Kilkenny were more or less at full strength.

Our younger players are not stepping up compared to other counties.

Richie Reid is targeted by opposition, they love to see him centre back, how can we keep looking at him there.

The split season has hurt Kilkenny at inter county level as we do not have the resources to train teams to the level it has gone. The bulk of hard training is done between November and March. We do not have facilities in this weather to maximise training, especially 3 teams. The good old days of big training matches in Nowlan Park from April to September are well over

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Without trying to sound like an apologist for the county board, I'm far from it. It was briefly discussed at the county board last night and about the lack of facilities and panels having to move from different location for training, from what I was led to believe it's the U20's and the minors who have been messed around and not the seniors so I don't think that is an excuse for the seniors, I don't think we look any unfitter than other teams I just think we're trying to play a style of hurling that doesn't suit the players available. The county board chairman confirmed that they are actively looking for something which would alleviate the situation but I'd imagine it'll take time and it's not going to be a quick fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭droppingball

Wasn't overly disappointed by Sunday, we have been very up and down in the league and believe we are building up a little slower than other teams the last few years maybe because we believe we will get through Leinster. I think Wexford are building nicely and once they have Conor McDonald, Rory O Connor and Lee Chin back they will be decent this year. On the other side Dublin seem to be struggling a bit.

6 is now a bit of a worry, Richie Reid has the hurling but is to passive and allows too much down the middle, Paddy Deegan is aggressive enough and has the engine but wants to go forward. Mickey Carey covers the ground and is aggressive but bit worried about the sharpness of his hurling. Not sure what the solution is here as I wouldn't dream of moving Huw Lawlor.

Hopeful Jordan Molloy can nail a place when he is back, like the look of Shane Murphy too, he had it tough on Sunday but those days will happen. I really like Cian Kenny he is always an outlet as he always shows for the pass, he is skillful, he creates things, he takes the man on and draws frees. Feels likes we should leave him midfield and keep giving him time as he is probably waiting to be taking off at the moment.

Adrian Mullen was unlucky with shots on Sunday but he looks like he will explode this year, looks like the three Ballyhale boys and John Donnelly will be nailed on in the forwards and we are struggling to find a consistent two more forwards.

Little concerned with Tommy Walsh feels like he loses concentration a good bit and can tend to be few yards of his man a fair few times. We do have a lot to find and plenty to improve on but we are following same path as last few years, build into the year and improve as we go.

Hard to see it all just click but we need to start nailing things and persisting as opposed to the chopping and changing from here. I would like to win the weekend as it is important to get more game time and the more we play Limerick the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

With regard to the forwards, I was happy with Deegan. He scored 2 points and got on the ball and offered a threat. I was fierce disappointed he was move to midfield at half time. We could've brought on Kevin Blanchfield and left Paddy in the forwards. I could see us with Deegan, Donnelly, Phelan, Mullen, Cody and Reid as the forwards.

Exclude yourself if you want but the support is very poor, people do be talking about Clare been too far and Cork and Limerick but Dublin is never too far come all Ireland time when everyone feels they are entitled to tickets and nobody finds it too dear then. I am well aware some people cannot go for various reasons. The league final last year against Limerick played in Cork, we were out numbered 10 to 1. Very hard to win then when the players don’t feel worthy of our support. Do you go to many KK matches and if you do you would surely feel the same way as I do, only you know the answer to that. I just get pissed off of people giving out about our team and not bothering to attend matches.I very seldom call out individual players for criticism as I do not think it is fair on them. If it doesn’t include you don’t take offence.

I understand where you're coming from and I do agree that you rarely, if ever, criticise players. You seem to give all our players due regard unlike some here who have written off practically every player bar 6 or 7. We're heading for a sevens tournament as we never hear of replacements for all those being written off.

I personally don't care about Linerick for now. We need to concentrate on Galway, Wexford and perhaps Dublin. Let the Munster teams worry about Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Wasn’t overly worried about Sunday either, the performance wasn’t good at all but I honestly think James Owen’s destroyed the game… you just couldn’t overstate this point, it was impossible for either side to get into any kind of rhythm with the constant stop start nature of play. He’s the worst referee in the country by a long way but the laughable thing is he is so arrogant he actually thinks he’s doing a great job.

Anyway I thought Carey looked far more comfortable at centre back and hurls there for the club. I know it’s completely different levels but considering our struggles at six he’s worth a try in the position.

I wouldn’t worry about Harry Shine or indeed any of the forwards performances either as between the ref making things difficult (impossible)and Clare making it a very attritional type of game on softish ground it wasn’t a forwards day.

There is a point I’d like to make about two players on Sunday Harry Shine and Gearoid Dunne,was it necessary to play them when the U20 championship starts in two or three weeks time. If any of these U20 players are deemed good enough that also includes players who didn’t get a look in yet at senior level they can be introduced at the end of May which gives them ample time to blend in with the seniors assuming the training is basically the same.

• Advertisement

Well, both are coming back after surgery and need the game time. I'd say Mark Dowling would be happy enough with it.

To be honest it wasn't the message but the tone of the message that got my back up..anyway we won't go round and round..I'm.sure the vast majority on here wish the best for kilkenny teams at all grades and appreciate the huge effort put.in by the players

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Ticket prices are the big problem as shown with poor attendances in general, €20 for national league is scandalous in my opinion, not so long ago they were only 12, more games on now than ever before it must be remembered so people more likely to pick and choose, between ticket prices, cashless turnstiles and that horrendous Ticketmaster website I do wonder at times are people in high positions in Croke Park trying to alienate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hug it out lads . 😃

Im a long time follower , rarely have any input , as i wouldnt have the knowledge that others do, but i enjoy reading other posters take on games/players etc.

Keep it up lads as its probably the best county forum in the threads , lots of posts (not just when the county plays) and plenty club stuff also .. 👏

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Whatever the support for Kilkenny in Waterford next Saturday may be, it'll be a lot less now with St Kierans playing their final at 1pm in Croke Park. I for one would have liked to attend both.

I'm a 45 year old Irish man..I hug my children and occasionally my wife😀 and that's it..its all good though .I don't like to fall out with anyone in Real life or on here.

Looking ahead to championship . To me the full back line appears to be the only line set in stone. Then there are 7or 8 possibilities for half back line and midfield..I personally would have deegan in the forwards..with the amount movement and rucks in the game now he will be still back helping out but won't have direct responsibility for any 1 particular forward. I would love to keep mullen in the forwards too but I don't think we have 2 better midfielders than him..possibly Carey can slot in there if his touch improves as the year goes on but as others said he might make a 6.

It's a bit disappointing that there seems to be only Carey and Shane Walsh that seem to be in contention to break onto the team we finished with last year.for me the young lads who have played some games in the forwards haven't done enough yet. It's only march I suppose.

Anyway apologies for the rambling and I'm off to try pick horses for the work Cheltenham sweepstakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭kksaints

I'd be inclined to go for a midfield of Deegan and Kenny. I think Deegan with his workrate, hard running and his tendancy to shoot from long range without the need for man marking is suited to the midfield. Kenny is probably our best player at linking up play for a running game, I don't see why Lyng is trying to turn him into a corner forward, it's not really his game. Mullen can start in the forwards and drift out into midfield when required but I wouldn't start him in midfield.

It is disappointing that none of Clifford, Dunne, Drennan and Shine have kicked on to look like become a regular yet but there's still plenty of time for that to happen in the next few years. I was surprised Drennan didn't get off the bench on Sunday, so far he's been the best of the new forwards.

Advertisement