Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

20 euro is dirt cheap for 70mins entertainment. It's scandalously cheap. You wouldn't get into am underage game here in the UK for that. People are finding it a struggle economically but some people are also 'tight' . Its a bad look.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I see the Leinster GAA website is offering the minor and U20 league and championship for €40 which is a steal, I’d say at least 10 games at least 4 to be home games. So they can’t be any complaints. Get out and support the future so ye might know what to talk about in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Putting my head on the block, I would go with the following team in the championship.

Darren Brennan, not as good shot stopper but better distribution

Butler, Lawlor, Walsh.

Carey, Davy Blanch, Shane Murphy.

Deegan, Kenny.

Mullen, TJ. , Donnelly

Keoghan, Liam Blanch, Cody.

Tom Phelan, Wally not considered

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

So far Liam Blanchfield has not shown any form to be considered as a starter for sure....I obviously would love if he came in to form from now on in, even if he got some game time this weekend be interesting, Tom Phelan could do with all the exposure possible in Leinster champinship this year to get anywhere near the levels of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Injury wise I've no idea, just saying when he going to probably miss all of the League He will need plenty of gametime to get back up to the pace of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Pity Brennan didn't get more game time. For that reason I'd stick with Murphy. I'd play Corcoran at midfield and Kenny in the forwards, thus omitting L Blanchfield.

At least we're talking 15 aside instead of 7 aside! As you hinted in a later post, if posters wish to drop one of your pick, let them suggest an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Murphy is be best goalkeeper in the game. Probably ever.

Talk about dropping him is utter lunacy.

Most of the failures associated with his distribution lie with the sideline and indeed the other 14 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Flying Donkey

My championship 15 would be:

1. Eoin Murphy
    2. Mikey Butler
    3. Huw Lawlor
    4. Tommy Walsh
    5. Mikey Carey
    6. Adrian Mullen
    7. David Blanchfield
    8. Darragh Corcoran
    9. Cian Kenny
    10. Conor Heary
    11. John Donnelly
    12. Paddy Deegan
    13. Eoin Cody
    14. Mossie Keoghan
    15. TJ

I know it’s unlikely that Adrian will be put at centre back at this stage of the year but I think he’s the best solution to it. His distribution is excellent, he’s good in the air, he can physically dominate, take scores from long range and it’s never any harm to have your best player on the ball as often as possible.

Whilst Darragh Corcoran’s lack of agility was shown up a couple of times against Clare last Sunday, I thought he won a couple of dirty balls and showed up well physically. His size and physicality should make it tougher for teams to play through us (a la Will O’Donogue for Limerick). He should be able to grow into midfield if he’s given more time there.

Cian Kenny would complement Corcoran well with his class and skill. Although he may not be the best option in midfield if we met Limerick at some stage this year as he tends to get overpowered and doesn’t have the pace to get away from them nor does he get the usual frees for high challenges that he does against other teams.

Conor Heary was O’Loughlins go to man for puckouts. If you have Mikey C playing the David Fogarty role of running onto his knockdowns or passes, we could create a few scores this way.

In terms of goal scoring, our best goal scorer is Mossie and it’s because he’s willing to take the punishment that few others will and has the explosiveness to cause full back lines trouble.

TJ should be given the roaming role. I wouldn’t rule out having him as a super sub if Father Time has finally caught up with him. Billy Drennan would be the player I’d start instead. Clinical from frees and could be used as a target man in FF line. Eoin Cody can take the roaming role then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

wrong place....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

In fairness this probably isn't too far off being our best option, I'd have liked to see Brennan or Tallis get more game time during the league but it looks like Lyng has made his mind up and is sticking with Murphy. What's happened to Conor Heary has he picked up a knock? He hasn't been seen since the night down in Cork. The team I'd go with for championship would be:

Murphy

Butler, Lawlor, Walsh

Carey, Blanch, S Murphy

Kenny, Corcoran

Mullen, Donnelly, Deegan

Phelan, TJ, Cody

Phelan has missed so much hurling during the league he'll need game time to get him up to speed, the run outs v Carlow and Antrim will help him with that. I'd like to see more movement between positions from our forwards during the game and move around the opposition defence more similar to how they used to do it when Shefflin, Larkin, Power etc. was there. At the minute our forwards are too easy to play against we need more movement and to start making things uncomfortable for the backs. One thing however when you look at the team and the individuals available to us is that as team we really really lack pace and have a lot of players who are one paced. I was reading something yesterday that Joe Canning was saying about Cian Lynch that he doesn't seem to be a bulky as previous years and that as a result he looks more nimble on his feet this year. I think looking at some of our players, there fitness cannot be questioned but some of them look like they've bulked up too much and as a result they don't seem as nimble on their feet and makes them look slower on the turn and starting into their sprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I can't see Murphy or richie Reid being dropped.

Murphy

Butler/lawlor/ Walsh

Carey/Reid/ blanchfield

Kenny/corcoran

Mullen/donnelly/ deegan

Mossy/tj/cody..

I wouldnt mind seeing blanchfield at 6 and Shane Walsh at 7 but I think Lyng likes Reid at 6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

This was probably the preferred team from last year.

Eoin Murphy;

Mikey Butler, Huw Lawlor, Tommy Walsh;

David Blanchfield, Richie Reid, Paddy Deegan;

Conor Fogarty, Adrian Mullen;

Tom Phelan, Martin Keoghan, John Donnelly;

Billy Ryan, TJ Reid, Eoin Cody;

Of that team, I can see Fogarty and Billy Ryan being replaced and possibly Tom Phelan. I'm not sure there will be many other changes other than positional changes. I prefer Mossy in the FF line as he can bag a few goals and definitely prefer Mullen closer to goal. That really means that midfield remains the biggest issue and so far in the league there have been no obvious candidates nailing a spot there but I would like to see Corcoran and Kenny given a run there as they do complement each other although the poster who mentioned lack of pace has a fair point. My 15 would be below but Tom Phelan for Donnelly might be an option on the HF line depending on how the next few weeks go. Shane Murphy is another option on the HB line in place of Reid but he would need to play either Blanchfield or Carey as CB for a few games to see how they go there. Finally Billy Drennan is an option in the FF line in place of Mossy if things aren't going well.

Eoin Murphy;

Mikey Butler, Huw Lawlor, Tommy Walsh;

David Blanchfield, Richie Reid, Mikey Carey;

Daragh Corcoran, Cian Kenny;

Paddy Deegan, Adrian Mullen, John Donnelly;

Martin Keoghan, TJ Reid, Eoin Cody;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny wont be winning much with Richie Reid centre back. Absolutely no physical presence, teams run through and bully him. The lads like himself and Fogarty are there years and are simply not good enough. TJ and few others covering over the cracks for years.

Get off the fence for once and nail your colours to the mast. Using your expansive knowledge of club hurling in Kilkenny, let's have your team.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dodgysub

Eoin Murphy

M Butler, H Lawlor, T Walsh

M Carey, D Prendergast, S Murphy

C Kenny, C Heary

M Keoghan, P Deegan, A Mullan

TJ, John Donnelly, Eoin Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dodgysub

Apologies. D Blanchfield No.6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Blanchfield is no more powerfull than Reid. He was taken to the cleaners by Duggan last Sunday. I think Blanchfield is a good hurler, probably is a better option than Reid who wouldn't get near the centre back position on any top 7 team. Lads Tommy Walsh in the corner us a problem for ye. Another good fella but by God he got roasted in the All Ireland.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Comerman

Thought so.

Heary would be a gamble but otherwise a decent team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not much point saying who isn't good enough if you won't say who you'd have instead in fairness. They have to play someone and he has to be from kilkenny.

For the record I wouldn't put Reid there either, I think blanchfield is the best we have for the position in terms of who's been tried there.

I was wondering what people think of Carey at center? He's strong, mobile, but I think he can hold the center, and his distribution is good. Not sure if I remember him being tried there before but he has the attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Marrooned

All the above teams are good with maybe an odd tweak here and there. With the U20’s finished in May there is the possibility that someone might make the breakthrough.

I'd love if we could afford to have Carey at midfield but I do think he could do a job for us at 6. His first touch let him down in Ennis, as it did for a lot of our players. But of course the coming weeks will be used for sharpening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Charlie69

As I said in an earlier post he (Carey)plays there for his club and he looked far more comfortable when he went back there in the second half against Clare.

He gives me the impression that he much prefers to face the play on the half back line and he seemed very unsure of himself in midfield which can lead to a poor first touch because you’re over thinking everything. Much better to have a lad in a position where everything comes naturally to him.

Whether he’s good enough for the position at county level is another thing and he definitely wouldn’t be a sweeper type like Reid but he’s definitely worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KK v WAT

E Murphy

M Butler H Lawlor T Walsh

D Blanchfield P Deegan M Carey

C Kenny S Murphy

A Mullen E Cody J Donnelly

M Keoghan TJ L Hogan

Subs

A Tallis

P Moylan

C Buckley

P McDonald

K Blanchfield

R Reid

T Clifford

B Ryan

B Drennan

H Shine

O Wall

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

D Corcoran got a bad blow to his leg in Ennis which I had forgotten about until I saw he's not included for Saturday.

• Advertisement

No one gets as much possessions in a game as Eoin. 25 puckouts after scores, another dozen after wides plus half a dozen shots stopped/dropped short/passes from defenders. Over 40 possessions which is a huge opportunity to influence play/set up scores. For me, he has to make better use of the ball

Advertisement