Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

There are many that would argue he never was..had one excellent season 6 years ago and has done little of note for county since.. last few times he came on seemed in a rush to get rid of the ball..took shots from all angles and seemed very slow to pass the ball

Don't know him personally and perhaps should not be knocking him but if there are not 6 or 9 better forwards in the county we really are in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Mortified I didn't get the Byrne reference

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Agree, going on quarter final performances, it has to be Thomastown this year

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Will it be third time lucky for them people said the last two years that they would go up and they are still fighting to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭droppingball

Thomastown were the form team the last 2 year's but they were plenty of faults in the team. Fitness a problem and also they didn't nail down a centre back.

In fairness to Henry he has converted a forward into a centre back and it has worked great, most of the players have improved and the panel are pushing the starters.

They have the score getters but when the pressure comes on we will see how good they are. Glenmore will be a test and that could go anyway as they also have scoring forwards.

Hopefully Ian Byrne can fill out a bit and may be an option going forward for Kilkenny. Looks very lively and he dove tails well with the aylwards.

Picking up on the commentator from the tullaroan v clara match and another posters comments about his obsession with wides. He did the glenmore danefort stream, he ruined the game for me with his condescending comments and sarcasm. The other two boys commentate on the game and give the analyse when necessary and are far better than him.

Forgive my rant

• Registered Users Posts: 38 VelaSupernova

Not really sure how you can argue that any team with 3 Senior Intercounty Players is "limited". I also believe their main forward, Michael Murphy is only back from a serious injury.

Comer lost their games narrowly enough, as a neutral I think that they are probably a bit unlucky to be in a relegation final but I expect them to stay up.

And there are also probably half of the senior teams in Kilkenny who could be destined for relegation any year, that itself is the nature of the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

The intermediate championship is so hard to crack and has a history of teams having 2 and 3 attempts before eventually getting over the line carrickshock ballyragget tullaroan inistioge all struggled and then went on to be good senior teams.Ger alyward looks in serious condition and was moving really well is probably only 29 think he done cruciate twice can take few years to get over.sharp guys picked my 🔥reference looks a talented chap.bit of s&c needed but has time.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭droppingball

On to this weekend, I give tullaroan a right shout against O loughlins. Feels like they have slowly built throughout the year. O loughlins are solid side and would fancy them to beat Tullaroan more often than not but just have a sense that Tullaroans momentum might get them there. If Walton and Padraig can get forward and help Mossy, Simpson, Tommy and Shane Walsh they might have enough scores in them to do it.

Looks like the Shamrocks are coming to the boil nicely and would fancy them to do the business but shamrocks bring the best out in the village and if they could get a bit of luck and maybe Larkin helping off the bench they have a good shout.

Will Browne start for village and the Mullens for shamrocks? Should be a good double header.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Henry Shefflin will be the new Galway manager.....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 VelaSupernova

That is literally the most insane and ludicrous statement I have heard in my lifetime.

and yet it appears to be true

Post edited by VelaSupernova on

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Yes, this is doing rounds all afternoon and from good sources.

If true, terrible news for Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

No one seen this coming and obviously best of luck to him but surely we missed something here and should of got him involved somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

This is all but confirmed and should be tonight. Apparently Richie O'Neill is going with him. I think they will do very well with those players. I wouldn't blame Henry at all what's he to do, wait around for the blind to see the light?

RTE.ie: Henry Shefflin set to manage Galway hurlers.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/1020/1254963-henry-shefflin-set-to-take-charge-of-galway-hurlers/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

massive blow to Kilkenny. Brian Cody offered Henry a role last year but Henry declined. Will be interesting to see did he make the right move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Look its not to dissimilar to tipperary and Liam cahill.Henry cut his teeth In ballyhale and the obvious progression was the county team.Its fairly well known he turned down a selectors role and infairness its hard to blame him.Cody will be here for the next few years.County board is full of yes men so what's he meant to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

Three year agreement according to RTE

• We'll regret that.

• Advertisement

I would also fear that players who were staying on in the hope that Cody might be replaced by Henry etc next year might decide to pull the plug.

I fear we could have an exodus from the panel. Some might say their old and need to go but it would strip the panel of experience and virtually all its All Ireland winners.

I expect Joey and Hogan to go regardless given the treatment they've recieved.

I wouldn't be surprised if Buckley, Wally, Fogarty and Blanchfield didn't go back.

My biggest fear is that TJ and Eoin Murphy will also go. I've heard TJ has struggled since he was sick after the AI semi this has to be a massive blow to his chances of winning another AI. Murphy by all accounts has been hugely frustrated by the mixed messages he gets about puckouts and to be honest I think he's gone from the best keepers in the country to just being good the last two years.

I hope I'm wrong on all of this and I'm not trying to retire anyone but the above would not surprise me if we heard these names leaving before Christmas hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

All these great players who won numerous all Irelands are hitting 40 and are hungry to prove themselves as managers. They cant wait for ever for Cody to go. Massive kick up the back side for Ned Quinn and the county board.

I'm fairly sure Cody asked him in a couple of times but he obviously didn't relish the idea of it. The underage positions don't seem to have been offered or of interest. I think it's a great move for Henry personally and fair dues to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

This has many knock on effects not least the impact on the Ballyhale lads. It's difficult to accept considering it is obvious now that he would no doubt have taken the kk job if offered. This piles even more pressure on Cody and let's face it we are not likely to realistically challenge for let alone win an all ireland next year under the current setup. The more time goes on the more he looks like yesterdays man.

Also, for me Henry has dirtied his bib a bit here doing this. I'm not sure I would personally want him getting the hot seat now after a stroke like this. He had to have realised how such a move would have been received by the hurling public here. The media and other hurling counties will only love this and we are the ones that have to put up with that so thanks a bunch Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭MfMan

I sincerely hope so 😀

A very interesting, left field appointment. Next year's (putative) Leinster final would be very tasty!

Who is Richie O'Neill's missus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Please explain how this was a stroke from Henry?? 😂😂 he's not bound to wait til Cody has left the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

You'd want to be some bollocks to begrudge Henry taking that job. I think this is good news in the long term. He gets an idea what's involved in top level management and we get an idea what his actual level is. Be interested in seeing who he brings with him bar O Neill who goes everywhere with him. Huge risk taken by both parties here though. Galway going for someone who has very little management experience again and Henry taking such a high profile job where expectations are always through the roof.

I wish him limited luck.

If he beats Cody next year though the pressure for change will be undeniable.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

Henry was dead right not to go in as number 2 under Cody. Cody barely listens to his selectors, Henry is a leader not a follower.

There is never any shortage of hurling talent in Galway, as good as any county out there if Henry and the back room team can get them to click they won’t be far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Slates

In my humble opinion, the Kilkenny county board should be sacked en-masse.

Advertisement