Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Give it a rest. As I said previously, I go to all matches and am tired of your rants about people not going. Just go and enjoy them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Shane Murphy came out of nowhere for me anyway and just shows what can happen if lads get a chance to show what they can do.

I’m not sure how old Shane is but I think we in KK can be a bit guilty of writing off hurlers at a certain age which is a huge mistake as sometimes a lad grows in confidence and self belief in his mid twenties and can bloom into a very good hurler at this level.

Gorta and maybe Tom Phelan are examples of late developers that didn’t star at under age , Lyng himself was a bit of a late developer who went on to have a great career.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

For sure. I would add Eddie brennan to that list.never hurled for kierans as far as I know also played for kilkenny seniors before he hurled senior club.

I wonder is it more difficult to blossom later on these days with the amount of strength and conditioning that is required to get to the level required

I often wonder about the balance between s&c and mobility. I'm sure some young players find it difficult to perform at their best and feel restricted until that balance is achieved. I guess patience is required from all.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

I think the players are well used to it by now. We have been the worst supported of the hurling counties for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭biglad40

If the match was at nowlan park limerick would still win handy. They won 1b playing all away games with 8 championship starters Max undefeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Marrooned

U20s bet Tipp today I the park by about 8 pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

Anyone have the u20s team ?

There is probably 6 or more on the squad who played for St. Kieran’s yesterday. Stephen Manogue, Evan Murphy, Geoff Neary, Rory Glynn, one of the mc Dermot’s, Bill Hughes? and maybe even a few more.others include Niall Shortall, Harry Shine,Cillian Hackett, Gearoid Dunne, Marty Murphy, Lar Murphy, Killian Doyle. That’s enough for today.

• Advertisement

The U20s start there Leinster campaign on the 30th March. I think I mentioned it earlier about a season ticket for both the U20s and the minors that costs €40 for a good few games it’s great value and can be purchased on the Leinster GAA website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Despite all the negativity around here we are after qualifying for the semi final. A great game to get next weekend and a extra match before the championship. I know a beating wont do us any favours but players want to play the best.Good to see moylan and kevin blanchfield get a run.We are in trouble at center back. Paddy isnt the answer at county level. What we would give for Ciaran joyce. Criminal defending for the 2nd waterford goal.Mikey butler and mikey carey will probably be gone so they will be big losses.We havent tried anyone corner back so its going to be some task thrown in against limerick.Daragh Corcoran must be injured he didnt make the squad.I thought david fogarty would of got a run by now after having a great run with the club.Ian byrne is another who hasnt got minutes,maybe they are injured. Tj still pulling the strings he is going to be some loss when he does finish.We definitely cant afford for a few key players to pick up injuries.

Conditions were absolutely woeful. We worked hard and got the win although it wasnt pretty. After 5 matches we have only scored a single goal from play and that was against offally. Two penalties were against wexford.it goes without saying we need to get much more out of our fowards. Eoin cody has huge ability but he goes missing in a lot of games. He isnt the only one but he is one we look to. A huge challenge coming but id say the players and management would prefer to have it instead of no match.

Post edited by brookville on

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭The_Tank

Watching the football on the Sunday game while waiting for the hurling. Peter Canavan talking through the patient , cohesive , selfless and intelligent movement of the Dublin forwards to break down Galway. Is there nothing we can learn from this? Both in attack and defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Jackie spoke well about Kilkennys problem at No.6. I agree with him.

Looking at the Sunday game we are so lucky we dont have to play the Munster teams in the championship. Limerick, Clare, Cork(with a full team) and Tipperary would be a nightmare

Anyway we’ll have to see what we can bring to the table next Saturday. We will be better off out there than watching someone else out there but as Brookville says a hammering could be detractors to our health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Comerman

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

limerick are only tipping along , they are nowhere near the levels they were at last summer yet , it will be all to play for on saturday

Watched the schools final back and once again, what huge work rate and smart game plan from St Kierans. Much the better side but so many wides kept St Raphaels in it. Kierans powered on in extra time with Rory Glynn getting man of the match for the second year in a row - some achievement. Credit to all concerned for another brilliant display and fine win.

As was posted earlier, a lot of those Kierans guys will be involved with Kilkenny under 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Would Kierans provide 70% of players for u20s ? While Rapheals might provide 10-15% of players for the u20s for Galway? Id imagine the ratio for Kierans feeding inter county u20s is much higher compared to other Schools. It has to be because Kilkenny are very poor underage the last 10-15 years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Brutal conditions in Walsh Park .....

Fair play to both teams for doing anything at all in that weather !

Waterford were doing all the hurling, but not scoring (only 4pts in the 2nd half?) but KK dug in, and tipped away - got lucky a couple of times .

Scruff was caught badly for the 2nd goal, when a 65 travelled all the way in , under his hurley into the net.. .And he was caught coming out the field for a short pass, and he had to pull down the attacker ....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Schools hurling is basically under 18 and a half so I'd be surprised if more than 4 or 5 of the Kierans players start on the U20s but starting for Kierans undoubtedly skews things in a players favour

Most of those Kieran’s boys will be underage next year so a lot of them will be on the panel and it’s a strong panel. Leinster is very strong this year with Offaly, Wexford, Galway, KK, Laois , I don’t know much about the Dubs but they can’t be too bad either. Munster will have four strong teams out Limerick,Clare,Tipp and Cork.

For my sins I'm a CBS man but I wouldn't let that blind me from acknowledging how well coached the St Kierans team was and the marvellous displays they gave this year. As a Kilkenny hurling sipporter Id prefer to see a Kilkenny team winning and celebrate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭me89

He wasn't caught at all for that goal, it was flicked in by the full forward, absolutely nothing he could do.

And he was left short by terrible pass from blanchfield when he dragged the man down, but whatever lies help your narrative

I agree and also the second goal wasn't from a 65.

Ye of course, wrecked head only holds so much information.

Minor challenge in the park today KK 2-14, LK 1-15 no super stars but a hard working bunch of lads and some hardy bucks on it.

More good news. Any more challenge matches coming up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Did they have any or many of the lads that played for kierans at the weekend?

Advertisement