Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

Cyril Farrell is due on Off the Ball to talk about the talent pool in Galway. It's a competitive senior championship with 24 teams, and loads of recent success at underage level. Shefflin will have done his homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Are you serious? Hurling public in KK will wish him well and many of us will wonder why he wasn't snapped up when we had the chance. How on Earth is it Henry's fault we have to put up with it? Should he take a selector role, like all the lads before him to shout at the wall for a year or two and walk out with his reputation undermined by continued lack of success? Or should he go where he's wanted and valued? Not a hard decision. Henry is not a fool, he'll do what's best for his progress.

And in the longer term it might well stand to us, if he progresses well in Galway and we finally see some sense, he might be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

Don't blame Henry for taking the Galway job, lots of good hurlers there already and plenty of young talent coming through the ranks.

I wouldn't blame him also for not taking an underage role or a selectors role here. If he wants to be a top level manager he has to take opportunities like this when they arise and If the county board didn't remove Cody then there isn't any opportunity here in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭MfMan

Galway woman apparently. Just wondering really...

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Think you are speaking to the wrong man, I edited a misspelling of "terrible"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Good luck to him, an ambitious and ballsy move, instead of waiting for a Cody retirement that will likely never come.

Very good points being made here on what this will likely do to some of our best county men (most especially the Ballyhale contingent), and accurate I believe that this will do a lot of harm.

Any of them hanging on waiting for Shefflin to step in and re-energise everything will be gutted by this and may well call it a day rather than another 2,3,4 years of Cody's stale dogma.

This is a Kilkenny mess, even if we have a dire year in 2022 and Cody is finally shifted, our undoubted number one choice replacement is now out of reach for 3 years.

I am usually optimistic about Kilkenny hurling but I feel things are going to get worse before they ever get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

I wouldn't be happy if I was from Thomastown, could the announcement not have waited until Thomastown were finished in the intermediate championship. Might drive them all on but if they don't win it......it's a stick to beat him with. Disappointed with Co.Board they couldn't or wouldn't shift Cody out. That panel is crying out for change. Good luck to him all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

He said at the start of the year he wouldn't manage against Ballyhale so this was always a one year gig with Thomastown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

Thomastown ain't senior yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

He'll be managing against a fair few Ballyhale lads next year all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Are you not from Waterford?? I stand by all I said. This move has hugely negative connotations and knock on effects for Kilkenny.

He didn't have to take the job. He could have waited another year or two. It's not like he is managing someone like Laois who are not really a direct competitor. I'll skip the token "I wish him well.." drivel and call it how I see it.

And I'd agree with the point that the county board should be put out to the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭kk.man

Wow this is some appointment and Galway will benefit hugely. I genuinely wish the king the best of luck because I think he has massive protential in management.

I was listening to Today FM during the summer where he and DJ were interviewed together. The next kk job came up and under pressure Henry indicated he would let DJ go first.

Anyway no better man to whip that club bias out of Galway hurling for good. I bet big Joe will reappear too.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭davidx40

Jaysus lads Henry is totally unproven at top level manager level ..... Would have loving to see him get involved with our 13/14 year olds and bring them on

Do you mind me asking what you mean about the club bias in Galway? Is it that certain clubs tend to have more representatives than others in the county team?

Hem..2 club all Ireland's on the trot and never managed a team before??...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Stripeyman

Re Thomastown potentially being unhappy, that thought crossed my mind too. My guess is the Galway Co. Board's hand was forced by the Davy Fitz rumours yesterday and they felt the need to knock it on the head before it grew any more legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

Credit to Henry Shefflin for a very brave move. He very obviously believes in himself. Strange that he was never offered U17or U20 with Kilkenny. Would have looked an obvious move, or would the County Board be concerned if he showed up the big boss??

Oh ok. I'm from Galway, and thought you were talking about a percieved bias towards certain clubs when it comes to selection for the panel.

I do think the idea that club hurling in Galway is excessively 'tough' compared to other counties is exaggerated. Of course there have been incidents over the years, and a couple of the clubs would have a reputation for the dark arts, but I don't think it's a systemic issue either. Two of the main protagonists in that regard were knocked out over the weekend.

The real conundrum is how there is such a dramatic falloff from underage to senior level. You'd hear lots of theories put forward - a county with a University and IT; the drink; county board divided between football and hurling; Supermacs sponsorship.

Shefflin and his team have plenty of talent to choose from. There's 24 clubs in the senior club championship, a decent intermediate structure etc. It's not like Davy heading down to Wexford and doing his thing with a limited selection to choose from. I'm sure he did plenty of research before he applied for the job.

Delighted I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Surely this is a positive for Kilkenny Hurling? Whether you like it or not, Brian Cody is going nowhere for the moment. You can throw all the abuse you want at the County Board but realistically who is going to make a heave against such a legend? Immediately after bringing Kilkenny to an AI semi.

Meanwhile the obvious manager in waiting is getting experience at the highest level. Including seeing first hand what can be done with all the resources Galway are going to throw at it. I hear talk of serious money available. Then bring that level of professionalism back to Kilkenny in 3 years or so.

• Advertisement

I heard all those theory but the one I heard most worrying about is that the club difference s translated into the county training set up where it effects the team from gelling. Sheflin will take no bull from anyone he observed Cody at first hand and that alone is some asset to bring in.

He will be like a kid in a sweet shop with the talent at his disposal.

If people think he is going to Galway and learning the ropes before coming back down to manage Kilkenny then they are as deluded as the dinosaurs running the county board. Let's imagine the different potential scenarios that may unfold here.

Number 1 he leads Galway to 1 or more All Irelands. That means they will be at our expense amongst others. Likely with a number of victories over us. How do people feel about this?? Will he leave after 3 or continue to stay on??

Number 2 - He fails to win the AI in whatever way - failure. By this time the game and maybe even Cody have moved on. In either scenario I don't want him back. Failing up there doesn't mean that he was never up to it down here if you get me.

Richie Power Snr was dead right when he spoke out that time on Cody. He could have walked with his reputation intact a few years back and given the TJ's, Wally etc a new lease of life. Instead we are staring at falling even further behind next year with this tired looking setup. Wait for the next few weeks when the first retirement is announced and the dominoes start to fall after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Cody has to much control i was talking to a man last week he was a selector with kilkenny teams he said he will have to be dragged screaming from the job because he is not going to move. Somebody mentioned Ned Quinn at least when he was there their was a bit of control, Galway seem to have interviewed a lot of lads for the job Michael Donoghue told them to keep it you have to wonder about there under age men were not considered. Davy was never going to happen in Galway .

Cody isn't going anywhere nor it seems he can't be got rid of . Henry did the right thing. Galway have massive talent unfortunately we don't and I don't see it improving anytime soon.

I think the talent in Galway thing is a bit over stated. I'd wager that Cork will get more top players from this years minor team than the combined 4 in a row minor team that Galway had.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Success in galway is far from guaranteed. Minor teams with plenty all Ireland medals

Are not a new phenomenon up there .few have made a impact on panel todate

I would have them

1 Limerick

2 Waterford

3 Tipperary Kilkenny clare

Wexford galway

Canning gone and possibly a few more. big rebuild job.Best of luck to him 3 years driving

To galway from ballyhale 3 times a week 🤯

Thing is they had a 4 in a row. No-one can take that away from them. It's how they were 'managed' after the juvenile success that where the fault lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭MfMan

Exactly. 'Club in-fighting in Galway' is a tired, age-old trope at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭threeball

That was an issue years ago but not so much now. Our biggest problem was always attitude when playing weaker teams and an inability to nurture talent. The county is beyond useless at finding talent outside the top teams too. Intermediate and junior clubs might as well not exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

With 24 senior teams which is 12 to many

And 14 intermediate the junior championship is equivalent to junior A in Kilkenny. Not that surprising

Advertisement