Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Any

Post edited by therealdonster on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Comerman

Agreed Blackcard but I was comparing him to Ronnie who rarely knows players names but knows their fathers, mothers and grandfathers etc. Not to mention the "schamozzles" 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Charlie69

They're a disaster, as you say Mick Walsh can only ever see one winner and Ronnie commentates on everything bar what's going on on the pitch.

Tried to watch the U19 final on the app, cannot watch it full screen on the phone or cast it to the TV, waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Nothing other than a very convincing win today will suffice for the seniors. A strong team named. This is what Lyng has been preparing for starting today. Murphy gas deservedly kept his spit at corner back, albeit tommy didn't do anything wrong when there. Tom phelan must have recovered well after injury to be selected to start. All depending on how results in later stages go we could be looking for a strong goal difference at the end of the 5 matches. Galway away is a tough one. It might cone down to the last match at home to Wexford. Best of luck to the boys today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭me89

The ticket price is worth it just to watch TJ on a sunny day, absolute class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭kksaints

11 points up at halftime. Very comfortable so far anyway. TJ bar a missed penalty has been his usual quality, Kenny and Richie Reid have done well in midfield. Shane Murphy has been very good also.

Some negatives: we really should have another goal and we need to be more clinical at finishing. Mossy who has done well for the most point had a goal chance he should have finished and as above TJ missed a penalty. Eoin Cody has had an off day, nothing has worked for him so far. Tom Phelan has shown some signs of rust. Mullen went off after 15 minutes, must have been injured and if I was to be super critical there's a bit of space through the centre of the half back line for Antrim to run through. We were slightly lucky to get away with just a free in the first few minutes when Antrim just sailed through. Deegan has done alright today but I don't think he's suited to centre back at intercounty level.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

A glorious day in the park and a comprehensive win. It looks like antrim have gone backwards. They had no gameplan for delivery of ball into their forwards. That being said kilkenny were full value for their 32 point win. Poor opposition but our backs hurled well. Shane Murphy and mikey carey giving us a few more options coming out of defence. Midfield good. Mullen going off early first half and Cody early in the 2nd half hopefully only precautions. Cody's touch not great today and he really needs to lay off more ball when the situation needs it.

Owen Wall struck 2 beauties and added 2 more points. He's another option there. Drennan better today and got the flick in that led to the last goal.

Tom phelan rusty as was said earlier but he needs games now. Tj his usual excellent self bar the penalty save. Donnelly decent most the way through.

Way tougher test in salthill next sunday and Mullen and Cody will be needed up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭kksaints

2nd half was a complete blowout, Antrim were completely overran and to a certain extent we probably should have scored more than 5-30 but that would be nitpicking. The most pleasing aspect of the win was that the young players who came off the bench really drove the knife in in the 2nd half. Owen Wall with 2-2 and Billy Drennan with 1-6, Ger Dunne got 1-2 I think. Kenny had a very good game in midfield and Carey and Shane Murphy also put in fine performance. Deegan got some nice long range scores, Richie Reid wasn't quite as good in the 2nd half but he still had a good game in midfield overall. Keoghan unselfishly set up Ger Dunne's goal and got some decent scores of his own.

Admittedly it was against an awful Antrim side but you'd have to be happy with today's performance. The only negatives would be the injuries to Mullen, Cody and Eoin Murphy. Cody didn't have a good game in the 1st half and got injured two minutes into the 2nd for a very unlucky day. He looked to be limping fairly badly which isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Great win for the minors yesterday they did the basics very well hooks flicks especially the backs

Over the last few years our minors have looked small and slow and not that physically developed this team have some lovely hurlers

Underage teams can be very inconsistent at times so it will be interesting to see how they go when the get a sterner test and play away from home

No much to read into today but nice to see the 2 Mikey’s back and Tom phealan who showed up well but I think centre back and midfield are still a worry for me Antrim got through us very easy at times

Tj is a joy to watch and the runs he makes are class our other forwards don’t seem to be able to make the same runs or open up the same space I thought our forwards really struggled when he went off

Hopefully Cody mullens and Murphy’s injuries aren’t to bad for next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Galway are in the same position as we are, both of us with facile wins, so no advantage there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

I know this is the Kilkenny thread, but are Limerick going to win this years All Ireland at their ease? Teams are able to stay with them for 50/55 mins (and even build big leads) but then just run out of gas. Are Limerick just a fitter team than the rest of us? Obviously they have fantastic hurlers but they seem to come into their own for the last 20 mins of games. Why do they seem more conditioned than other teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

I think today that Clare lost rather than Limerick won. All 3 goals were soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I know it's early days yet but interesting, and amusing, that one or two particular posters are so silent. Some just cannot bear good news. Hopefully the good news continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭The_Tank

Limerick were as shabby as the league match against us and to their credit had enough in the emotional tank to pull it out of the fire. But there’s a hum of Kilkenny 2013 off them at the moment.

Suddenly Tipp and Waterford, who everyone wrote off are in with a massive chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I wouldnt fancy taking on Limerick in Croke Park. They needed that scrappy win today. Hegarty amd Hayes ,lynch came good. They ll improve. Would you bet on Kilkenny beating Limerick in Croke Park this year? I wouldnt

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Phuck Limerick.

We will do our thing. Let them worry about themselves. They are very beatable. Clare bottled that today ... They might as well have had no keeper. When the time comes this year, we will beat them!

I've nothing to add about today's game because I wasn't at it other than they need to get rid of the provincial championships and do a proper open draw and get rid of these one sided affairs. Shame we seem to have picked up a couple of injuries. Onto next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Lot of hurling to take in today but Nowlan Park was well down the list. But a great day for Kilkenny hurling.

Post edited by Comerman on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Early days but very promising outlook with the minors performance on Saturday, Seniors yesterday, Under 19s on Thursday and the under 20s having qualified for the Leinster semi final. Nice touch to see the St Kierans team been introduced at half time yesterday. And the supporters were allowed on the pitch after all the matches this week. Long may the good news continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Way too much doom and gloom about Kilkenny hurling in recent years, just because we haven’t won a senior AI and we have had a few poor results at minor.

Our club hurling is by a distance the best in the country, meaning good hurlers are constantly playing very good quality hurling matches, even if playing Intermediate or even Junior.

I agree it is lazy to just say "we always have hurlers", but it doesn’t mean it isn’t true, it is true.

I think Limerick are burning oil and getting out of matches (like all great teams) by iron will and generous portions of good luck. Clare out played them yesterday for 55 mins but got mugged by 3 goals, two of which were clear square balls, and the other one should have been saved.

Clare also have to take the rap, they had Limerick by the throat 10-15 mins into 2nd half but didn’t go for jugular and try to rattle the net when they had the inside players to do so, instead going for long rangers that kept Lim within striking distance.This loss could really scar Clare.

In the last 4 meaningful matches Lim have played they been outplayed for long stretches, that is telling, it wasn’t happening 2020-2022.

Unlike Kilkenny in 2010 however, there isn’t an outstanding team nipping at their heels, there are 4-5 teams of roughly equal standard, none of whom are making a big statement of intent and Cork yet again flopping just when they looked like they might be dangerous. So Limerick may not have to reach 2020-2022 heigts to get the 5 done.

Limerick will be hard to stop after yesterday. Valuable game time to a lot of players. The win yesterday puts them in a great position to get out of Munster, where I was hoping they would get caught. Lynch, Gillane , Hayes, T Morrissey look like they need gametime. Unfortunately they will be peaking come June / July

I'd have a bet because I'd get pretty favourable odds and rightly too ;)

In 2013 we saw players like Tommy coming to the end (Danny Sutcliffe walked all over him in Portlaoise) and overall everything seamed really laboured - lots of wides, frees against us, indiscipline, lower average return from forwards etc etc. Even though when you looked at us on paper we were still strong. We bet Tipp in that epic match in Nowlan Park because it was Tipp and no way would it all end to them on our home patch but after that was an epic against Waterford a week later and finally we couldn't raise it against Cork. I think we had Henry sent off for tapping a hurl by Barry Kelly but it felt they had our number a bit anyway. The point is that can be a pattern, and within that you get some bounces and on paper things are right - but overall it's a struggle and the real problems are deeper and harder to identify.

Of course this could be just wishful thinking but I personally don't think this will truly become apparent until we see them at Munster final and potentially in a semi final against us or Galway. There's no doubt their best on the day beats our best on the day but at least the league showed a poor performance from them and we have the capability to take them. I would question why, for all the talk about Clare, they always find a way to put their foot in it. Do they really have the belief or the history?

Here's a mad bet for the craic - Limerick to lose to Wexford in the qualifiers?

Yeah another one for the ‘mad sh1te written on the internet’ bucket - but it might pay for the young lads communion 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Celtic challenge KK beat Tipp things are certainly going in the right direction as regards the underage. I saw Michael Fennelly meeting the minor players and parents in the triangle outside Nowlan park on Saturday, what a win hopefully they can follow up on Saturday against Wexford down there at one o clock another stupid time.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Montys return

No disrespect to Kilkenny and the All Irelands that they have won, particularly under Cody...but that analogy about Griffin there and teams missing chances is ignoring the fact that Kilkenny have been in 3 finals since they last won it and failed each time and lost 3 semis as well.

Sooner or later, they will win again and it may well be this year I just think it's very premature to be writing anyone off just yet and Limerick have a lot of winning to do to win their 5th all ireland.

Advertisement